1/6 Toys Works - Spiritual Leader (Morpheus)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So will the final lenses be as flat as you have it now? They were more curved in the movie, but not sure if the material you're using will let you do that...

I think in the last few pages Doggiedoc switched to the flat to get the effect that these have. I think it works better at this small scale, since the actual curve of the glasses would be really tiny at this scale.

Yeah, the curved lens was creating some really odd shapes in the reflections... an gave the appearance of a lumpy surface.

These flat ones look closer to the close-ups of Morpheus' glasses in the movie when they were doing their FX tricks. And the dark mirror covers the look of the glasses from normal viewing across the room.

The only glasses DoggieDoc made that worked with a curve was the total black glasses he did early on. They were not reflective however, and the pursuit here was to get something that was mirror like -- symbolic for Morpheus -- but also remained dark from a distance. I do think this last set gets us closest to having the best of both worlds.

Yeah, the curved lens was creating some really odd shapes in the reflections... an gave the appearance of a lumpy surface.

These flat ones look closer to the close-ups of Morpheus' glasses in the movie when they were doing their FX tricks. And the dark mirror covers the look of the glasses from normal viewing across the room.

The only glasses DoggieDoc made that worked with a curve was the total black glasses he did early on. They were not reflective however, and the pursuit here was to get something that was mirror like -- symbolic for Morpheus -- but also remained dark from a distance. I do think this last set gets us closest to having the best of both worlds.
Yeah you sum it up perfectly. The Neo glasses I did were curved but since they were translucent and not reflective you didn't get a weird appearance.

If there is any effective way to curve these I will but I don't think thre idea I have for that isa very practical.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Ok here we go... top row is the finished glasses with the new, perfect mirror finish in both light and dark backgrounds.

Second composite photo is the two top voted glasses plus these new ones. Newest left, then previous good versions middle and right.

Photos 3 ahs 4 are just showing the reflection. The reflection is actually perfect but I couldn't get my camera to focus perfectly on it. Hopefully you can tell how good it is in the video.

So to me... we have a winner with these new ones.

e28d6d59e55ca83360807187b97d9e96.jpg
4a2d67e258c91399ac8f3d40806f7ec1.jpg
a4bdf2539bc6af783a7d87e7b8cafc89.jpg
4a3a5e68df97c7e8b697bfaca08e2c7f.jpg

I love that you can do the 'red pill, blue pill' gag with these glasses! Works great in your movie too! That alone is worth the price of admission. :clap

One question: what is the white halo around the edge on the new lens? Is that just the edge of the glass catching the light? Would painting the side black stop that glow?

Yeah I was about to ask the same thing. The only thing I find a bit distracting is the bright silver rim around the edge, but not sure if there's any way to minimize that or not...

Wow the shot with the pills is great! Is that the real reflection?!
Yes real reflection. These lenses reflect/mirror perfectly with zero distortion. On the video you should clearly be able to make out my joker shirt.

The white halo is the edges of the lenses catching light. These are fundamentally different than how the other ones are made, which was a mirrored material placed over 3D printed lenses. This material is a mirrored material where the mirroring is BEHIND the material like a real mirror. Thus the thickness of the material catches some light and reflects it inward.

I painted the edges of the lenses black, which minimized it from what it looked like without. Painting thre back won't help because the back is already coated. But in terms of eliminating it completely no, it's not possible. I honestly didn't think it gave a weird effect so hopefully it's not a huge issue for anyone.

Not a big issue for me. I definitely love the reflection aspect coupled with the genuinely darker color of the lens. I'm guessing in hand, at scale, like all things its very minimal. Just when pictures blow it up it becomes more noticeable.

Really happy you pressed on way beyond where we thought we could go! I mean, just a shiny black lens seems so primitive now. :)

Finally gave my Morpheus a green tie. It’s honestly not something I’d even noticed until it was mentioned and then it was always on my mind when I looked at him. That little slash of colour does wonders for him.
Now I’m not even close to pretending that my tie is of a decent quality- I slapped it together with some paint and pen; didn’t even bother getting green dye. I’ve seen the custom ones on here which are flawless but I’m cheap and from my usual viewing distance, it provides all I needed from it which is- to be green.
710A99D0-44AF-4400-A371-2AF2AE3377BF.jpg
It absolutely does not hold up to close photography.
782392F2-89DA-4AE2-B38D-130476B07063.jpg
The pin thing is just a magnet that’s too large with some black marker on top. Cheap and lazy. Easy.
I’ll still be on the look out for a better one though.

Yeah that doesn't look bad at all on the shelf. I didn't go for the tie either, so may give that a go sometime in the future.

Thanks fellas. I’m all about that cheap DIY approach and try to use whatever obsolete rubbish I have lying around The house to repurpose into something useful. I feel a bit more proud of that tie now.

Thanks fellas. I?m all about that cheap DIY approach and try to use whatever obsolete rubbish I have lying around The house to repurpose into something useful. I feel a bit more proud of that tie now.

You should, excellent look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back