Any one have photos of displays using Ikea Billy cabinets

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey inkster, I searched Ikea and I can only find that light in the two pack. Im going to Ikea today to hopefully pick it up, so is it called the NON spotlight with shade? I cant actually find the light on the Ikea Australia but Im goin anyway just to look. thanks
Neil

Last edited:
Got it!, just putting it in atm, too bad i HAD to get the 2pack, i can only use one. it was pretty expensive too! $35 for the 2. oh well, Im putting it in the back so its not too close to my figs at the top. thanks for the help inkster!

Finally went shopping at Ikea but major problem for me with the Detolfs.
To many openings for dust to get in.
I am trying to find something relatively dust proof as I abhor dusting.
Size and design wize they are nice cabinets but I need some other
options that are not too expensive.
Thanks and If anyone has any other options please let me know

dr2red said:
Finally went shopping at Ikea but major problem for me with the Detolfs.
To many openings for dust to get in...

I use the Detolf and don't have a problem with dust at all. Only place for it to get in really is the front door. My helms have been in there for about 6 months and I don't see any dust in there.

We were looking at the floor models and they had a gap of a eighth of an inch
around the door and you could see dust on the shelves. Ist there anyway
to adjust the doors to minimize the gap?
I may have to get them anyway because the store style display cases are
hugely expensive.

Thanks again for the imput.

dr2red said:
We were looking at the floor models and they had a gap of a eighth of an inch around the door and you could see dust on the shelves...

No, that's about right. Hmmm, maybe my house is just less dusty? :confused:

I have a very old house with two big hairly dogs running around creating
all kinds of dirt and dust everywhere.
If only I could train them to vacumm up after themselves.

That makes sense. I pulled out all my carpet last year and put in flooring because I hate dust so much. Although you can never totally eliminate the dust, it makes a big difference.

Hey Dr, the only thing I can suggest is, that you look for some rubber or plastic binding that you could run along the doors to take up the gap. Over here, Ikea is about as cheap as you can get. Any other commercially available display cabinet is just more expensive. Even if you can find some tubing, and slice it open, to form a C shape, to make it fit over the thickness of the glass or whatever, if you know what I mean.

Alternative suggestion. Shave your dogs.

I finally broke down and picked up two detolfs.
We put one together today, major construction.
I put in two of these new lights they have and
I like them because they are not overpowering
and are a soft blue called TJUGOFYRAl.
As soon as I put some figures inside I will send pictures
along. I may still pick up a billy display as well but
I will see how the detolfs work out.

Thanks for all of the great advice and example
photos.

man i really hate you guys!!! the closest ikea for me is a good 6-7 hours away. and for something like this i want to see the cabinet / shelves in person before i decide i want to buy it :banghead :banghead . i looked at the billy book cases on the website-- what are the differences in the sizes?? one is 15 3/4 x 41 3/4"
and the other is 15 3/4 x 79 1/2"

--i think im gonna get a couple detolfs for my increasing 12" collections (because the shelves can only handle so much weight). and one or two of the billy cabinets maybe with the glass doors.

BDboystoys said:
The Detolf one DOES have adjustible shelves. The shelves are just glass sheets that can be taken out to fit taller items. The glass sheet just sits on the side frame. Look at the pics. Even on inksters, inkster it looks to me like yours are adjustible just like mine. in fact im pretty certain yours is exactly the same as mine. as you can see in inkster's pic the shelves just sit on the frame.
i guess different people has their own interpretation of the meaning adjustable. you mean it is because the glass shelves are not fixed to the frame and thus can be taken out.

but i think most people would probably see adjustable as the shelves being able to shift in height along sides. in this case the detolf isnt adjustable.

usually weight specifications are just estimates. i once put 5 weapon sets on one shelf i think and had no problem at all. but it's not so much on the weight with statues, the space for the detolf cabinet is so small, one probably can only fit a statue on a shelf.

^^^ that makes sense. i would be scared to put more than one statue on a glass shelf anyways. the more i look at pictures of the billy shelves with and without the doors the more i think they look great.

The Billy bookcases are perfect for 1/6 scale and some SS comiquettes. I also picked up some strip lighting from Lowes. Have actually been thinking about picking up some automotive LEDs that I saw in AutoZone.

The Billy bookcases are perfect for 1/6 scale and some SS comiquettes. I also picked up some strip lighting from Lowes. Have actually been thinking about picking up some automotive LEDs that I saw in AutoZone.

Glad you resurrected this thread before I did:yess::lol Would love to see pictures of the lighting that you do for your cases:)

Back