ComiXology

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On one hand: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!1 Amazon will slowly and methodically replace everything unique about ComiXology and in the next 5-10 years turn it into an Amazon Prime type experience.

On the other hand, this is probably the best insurance that comics we "buy" will be ours for a lifetime. Hopefully.

But on the first hand, how long before they stop supporting the iOS app? How long before the Kindle app suddenly provides a smoother, more gratifying experience while the iOS is slow and low rez in comparison?

But on the second hand, I trust Amazon to be around in 60 years more than I trust ComiXology and if I want to reread Walking Dead in 2074 I don't want to have to rebuy it.

But on the first hand, we'll all be dead due to global warming climate change religious zealots zombies apocalypse so if I survive I won't have to reread the Walking Dead, I'll be living it.

So I don't know how I feel. They just better keep the 99¢ sales coming.

I'm thinking about buying some stuff that's in the current Eisner Nominees Sale which includes the following titles:

Saga
Nowhere Men
Zero
The Manhatten Projects
Rat Queens
Pretty Deadly
East of West
Lazarus

I've already been reading Saga, does anyone have any recommendations for the other books?

What the hell is going on now!?! The new app is a "reader" that doesn't allow in app purchases?!?! Not cool, ComiXology. Damn you, Amazon!

Just took the time to update my app, and I'm re-downloading all of the comics I already had on my iPad. Kinda dumb to have to do that, but it wasn't too bad. If I downloaded all of them twice though, it would have taken more space than I have available on my iPad. So I quickly deleted the old app and all of its data. I know, I have a lot of trades loaded on here in case I ever got stranded away from wifi for a long time and needed reading material...

:rotfl

New app doesn't really affect me, though I still feel for the people who used the in-app store. That sucks. I wonder if Apple had something to do with it. I never used it because I got charged tax through Apple, but when I bought off the website, it was tax free, so I'm used to it. Redownloading everything kinda sucks though. I have big runs of books and I should've written down my place in each.

If they could just add the ability to mark an issue as NEW/UNREAD, then I'd be happy.

Agreed all around. I started re downloading without looking where I was. Not too bad for me though. But the download took about two hours this morning running in the background...

The reason why I'm so disappointed is that I've only payed full price for ComiXology a handful of times. Even if it was a 99¢ comic I was usually using an iTunes giftcard that I got on sale for 15-35% off. It's incredible the savings you can do if you shop around Black Friday or the Memorial Day sales on iTunes giftcards and stock up. I would buy a hundred dollars or so worth of giftcards and use them whenever I bought comics (usually shopping the 99¢ sales) and that would last me until the next giftcard sale. So now instead of paying 74¢ or something for a comic I'm going to have to pay 99¢. The giftcard savings really added up for me. And now, no more. :(

I also typically make all my purchases off of an iTunes card. If I can no longer do that, I don't like this new system/app.

In case people weren't aware there's currently a sale for Batman's 75th anniversary. 750 comics on sale. Some classic storylines including Year One, Dark Knight Returns, Long Halloween, Hush, Jeff Loeb's Batman/Superman run as well as may many others. Just thought I'd give everyone a heads up in case they didn't know.

Back