SSC Batman 1/6 figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At the golden Age of Batman comics, Bruce Wayne realizes that his physical training and other skills alone would not be enough to fight with criminals. He thinks that his disguise must be able to strike terror into criminal's heart cause they are superstitious cowards. He thinks he must be a creature of night, something terrible, something black! From this point of fact, a black costume seems more accurate but only in real world not in comics! Batman's ninjutsu training has made him as a master at stealth where he can disappear in rather impossible situations! So his costume's color doesn't play a major role in comics! Besides darker colors are perceived as a symbol of bad by the color-coding symbolism! This is why his costume colors are blue and grey! Batman is a fictional character, a comic book superhero! He is still wearing a suit which is drawn like a spandex but having the properties of Kevlar and Nomex! But we only know that just because it is explained! A comic book character movie does not have to reflect the real life aspects cause it's origins doesn't depend on real life! In real world, there isn't a Gotham City exist, there could never be characters like neither Killer Croc nor Poison Ivy and Mr. Freeze! Without these rogues gallery, there will be no Batman! This real take on movies is Chris Nolan's Magnum Opus and in my opinion the new trilogy of Batman movies are more like a crime drama like Michael Mann fashion! They are not representing or depicting the right soul of Batman comics! Tim Burton's Batman Returns is the closest movie to the comics of Batman!
Can you imagine a Star Wars movie which is trying to be more realistic? The answer is probably no! Batman wears spandex, like it or not but if the comics are the source material of these movies, the argument is meaningless! If you have never read a comic of Batman and only know him from Nolan's trilogy, then you will find spandex funny like Bryan Singer! Interestingly he forgot this statement when he directed Superman Returns movie!
And lastly Keaton is the Batman! Who the Alec Baldwin guy is:)? Common...:)

image.jpg
image.jpg

Double post, I don't know why it did that.

^^^ Those pictures are cool, but I was wondering what spandex and trunks would look like.

Yeah, undies are silly and not very realistic.

MoS Superman is how every superhero costume should look. Very practical and gritty, realistic, grounded, realistic.

Yeah, undies are silly and not very realistic.

MoS Superman is how every superhero costume should look. Very practical and gritty, realistic, grounded, realistic.

Believe me I'm not trying to say that undies are silly, not at all.

I hate "gritty and realistic". I do think they should make sense though.

Gotham city, whether it's the Burtonverse or Chicago, should be a rough place. Body armor would certainly be neccessary. Not as much as "The Dark Knight", that was way over done, I thought. Just too much.

Not only that, on film I think all black just looks better.

Superman could go either way with the undies. I love the George Reeves suit, and as much as I hated MOS, the costume was the least of it's problems.

Don't worry, that wasn't a knock at you between Kara and me. There's a discussion in the Batman vs. Superman thread about the undies as we speak. :lol

But you really didn't prove anything. All you stated were reasons you thought the tights would be better than armor. You tried to say the same things on other forums as well. Just saying it doesn't make it so.

Okay. I didn't prove anything. I just stated my preference. As for mentioning this on other forums. As I recall (and you'll please correct me if I'm wrong), I expressed this same sentiment on one other website maybe more than a year and a half ago. As I said, i could be wrong.

Don't policemen and soldiers wear some sort of protection when they go out on patrol? Why wouldn't Bruce Wayne? Especially considering that BW has Wayne Industries at his disposal? It would be suicide otherwise. I know you describe Batman as this supernatural force, but he's not. he's a human being. Bullets and knives are going to hurt him, kill him, just like everyone else. Just because he's committed, doesn't make him crazy, or stupid.

My objection to the armor as it has been presented in movies is basically an aesthetic one. I think it looks stiff and constricting for a character that requires freedom of movement. I don't really have a problem with The Batman wearing a garment that looks like tights, but offers some ballistic protection (like in the comics).

Now if we're to talk about CONTEXT of ballistic protection as it applies to Batman movies, I have said (and maintain), that the NEED for this character to wear armor is based on a "real world" consideration which I personally have little use for when enjoying the exploits of a fantasy character. I see the Batman, no differently than James Bond, indiana Jones, or any of the main characters from "The Expendibles"... TONS of gunfire and explosions and they nary get a scratch... because they are so good at what they do. Suspension of disbelief. That's the key. Yes soldiers and law enforcement officers routinely use ballistic protection,
but I consider The Batman something of a higher order than them. I never expect to see Bruce Lee, Jet Li or Ninja's (all in movies) wearing armor. Same with Batman. Guys like that, wearing armor just puts them on the same level of skill as, say, the average cop... and they should not be ordinary, they should be extraordinary... at least to me.

Contexturally, I have in the past also made the point that Batman armor in movies just seems to contradict itself. It supposedly offers "protection" but Catwoman can stab right through it with her simple press on fingernails. It supposedly offers "protection" but Bruce Wayne's bare back arms and torso are shown to be criss-crossesd with scars (in Nolan's trilogy of films).

But you think the armor is dumb, I get it. Take Lewis Wilson's costume (and I'm not even talking about the mask), it was cotton (maybe even wool, either way, spandex wasn't invented yet) and he wasn't in the best shape, but put that same suit on someone with a better build, it still wouldn't look good. Better perhaps, but put Michael Keaton's on pretty much anyone, and it would still look great, because it's made to.

Well you're right about that, Phantom. But that's kinda my issue too. See, with molded armor and muscles ANYONE can be Batman. He's not unique anymore. But with just tights only a really special, well trained, and exceptionally physically fit individual can pull it off.

Yes, Dead End (and your play) did have the traditional costume. But Batman isn't just about playing Batman, the actor also has to be believable as Bruce Wayne as well. Neither showed that.

Well what you say about Bruce Wayne in regards to Dead End may be true, but you've never seen my play to make that statement. And you are dead wrong.

FATHERS OF THE DARK KNIGHT features virtually all of the iconic comic book Bruce Wayne scenes that one might expect to see of a comic book translated to the stage. I cover the murder of the Waynes (with Bruce as a little boy), I cover (adult) Bruce Wayne's scuffle on the Gotham strip with a pimp and his prostitute, I present his injury by police officers, his escape, his return to Wayne Manor... I portray the iconic BAT through the window sequence that inspires his disguise... all right out of Batman: Year One.

The play even features a sequence later in Act II where Bruce Wayne (wearing his Bat-suit but no cowl) has a dramatic argument with Alfred in the Batcave over the folly of including a young boy (11 year old Richard Grayson) in his "war on crime". The play also features semi-regular "News Reports" on projection screens throughout the show. In one of them, we get a short interview with Bruce Wayne as he steps out of a limo with two women for an evening at the Iceberg lounge. Wayne is asked for his opinion about the recent attack on Oswald Cobblepot by The Batman that has forced the closing of the lounge. Bruce smiles and winks for the camera saying that it sounds "awful", and that Cobblepot must have faced his... "worst nightmare" , jokingly echoing The Batman's final words before taking out Cobblepot in the previous scene (Re: I'm your worst nightmare!)

So you see, Bruce Wayne is actually VERY extensively covered in my play.

Also, I never compared them to Adam West, I said you both used the same kind of masks that Hollywood has been using since 1989, and gave them the same SUITS as Adam West, and you both did.

And I never said that you compared them to Adam West. What I said was that the only thing the 3 suits shared in common was the fact that they all utilized tights. Other than that, they look vastly different from each other. The Dead End outfit, and the one I put together for my play are NOT the same as suit as Adam West's. That's what I said and maintain.

But seriously, do you really believe either would work in a film?

I absolutely, whole-heartedly, and most eagerly DO. I would not devote this kind of time debating this topic with you if i did think so, and if I were not willing to stand by my assertion. Look, I just got through spending nearly $50,000 of my own money over the last 3 years to put my play on stage... with Batman IN TIGHTS. If I had millions instead of thousands, and If my play were a film instead, I would STILL produce The Batman IN TIGHTS!

Maybe if every scene had the cape draped around him, but that would get pretty boring in a 2 hour movie.

Couldn't possibly be more dull than Chris Nolan's take on Batman. Anyway you're the one with the shame for tights, not me. I wouldn't feel the need to keep them covered up. But I DO think that The character looks best with his cape draped closed on his shoulders, but then spreads open during action sequences. It was Adam West, Shumacher, and Nolan who presented Batman's cape flipped back behind his shoulders with his chest puffed out like Superman. Me, I prefer the animated series approach to the wearing of that garment... closed in front, until the action kicks off. One of the things that I actually appreciated about the design of the Michael Keaton Batman outfit was that the cape was kept closed in front. It had a beautiful, elegant drape and a "fanning out" whenever Batman walked. With that fanning out, i love that slight parting open of the cape that reveals a hint of the costume underneath.

One of the reasons Tim Burton thought that Keaton was a good choice was because he wasn't big. If he was, why bother with a costume? Which I agree with.

Then, once again, we'll agree to disagree. Understand, I didn't need a "big" guy (as in Arnold Schartzenegger build), but a guy built like Chris Reeve (6'2" - 6'4") with an athletic build, really handsome, square chin, that was what I hoped for. Instead, I got a short, balding, comedian.

Alec Baldwin wasn't big either back in '88, so I think that the reasoning would have applied to him as well.

Perhaps not, but he was physically much more appropriate to play Bruce Wayne / Batman than Michael Keaton.

If Bruce Wayne is the richest and biggest guy in Gotham, you wouldn't have to be Sherlock Holmes to figure out he's Batman. Even if he put on an act that was Oscar worthy.

Which is one of the reasons i object to Batman wearing hi-tech armor, driving military sherman tanks, and flying around in Bat-Customized airplanes or areal combat assualt weapons platforms that look like a large flying insect... all of which could ONLY be obtained by a billionaire, ...and one who heads a research & development firm that puts together gadgets for the military. It all makes Batman's true identity pretty easy to figure out. None of this is really a problem when The Batman wears simpler garments.

Maybe you haven't said it in over a year and a half, but you've been saying it for years, but whatever. Not important.

I get the not liking the armor look. I also agree on the whole suspension of disbelief, but a guy who isn't from another planet who can't get hurt, wearing nothing but tights tests the boundries on that disbelief, every time.

Why do you think the 66 show was never taken seriously? I remember watching the episode with the Green Hornet as a kid and thinking how much cooler GH and Kato looked next to Batman and Robin, it almost made me stop watching the show.

Not for nothing, but Batman isn't any different than James Bond. They're both fictional characters with a long history, and like most characters with a long history, they're going to have good periods and bad periods. JB isn't believable either, he's just doesn't wear a costume.

And just like James Bond, not just anyone can be him. He's the exception. He has training and gadgets just like Batman because he has access to them, and he's committed.

Using gadgets is nothing new to Batman. He's been using them since the very first stories. That's part of the appeal. Hell Batman in the comics for the longest time had nothing but gadgets, Batmobile, Batboat, utility belt, etc.etc. Any deus ex machina the writers could think of. The training he had is all well and good, so I would think that using body armor wouldn't be a stretch by any means. In the first Joker story, he mentions his bullet proof vest. There's nothing "real world" about it. The crooks in Gotham ALWAYS had gun and other weapons, fictional or not.

So, I don't think anyone could be Batman, but if all he was wearing were tights, he wouldn't be Batman for very long. His career would be shorter than Christian Bale's.

You're right, I've never seen your play, but with a title like, "Fathers of the Dark Knight", I would guess that it would be about the creators themselves, not the characters. Especially considering that some of the characters weren't even created by them.

As far as the costume, you can maintain all you want, but take away the mask, emblem and belt and it's no different than Adam West. The material may be different, but it's the same thing. But I guess if you think that spending $50,000 to prove a point is worth it, well, it's your money.

But again, not important, and none of my business. Good luck with it.

You're right, I do have a shame for tights, in live action I think they look stupid on Batman. What have I been saying this whole time?

I also like the cape draped in front, I liked it in BM89 and Returns. I think it looks great, but the cape pushed over the shoulders started with, and is pure Adam West. I've never seen him do otherwise. Have you ever seen any picture of him with his cape like that? Even Lewis Wilson AND Robert Lowery let it drape. Here's a shot of LW-

Result39.jpg

Not crazy about the suit, but I do love that emblem.

I never said I needed a big guy either. But I don't know what's worse, a short, balding comedian or a tall, thin guy who could never really act.

Again, good with the bad.

I know how good Alec Baldwin could have been. I mentioned him in my first post. Are you even reading any of this?

I'm sorry that the last 25 years of Batman films have been so disappointing to you. That sucks, it really does. I hope one day someone, anyone gets it right.

Maybe it will be you.

You guys do realize that the reason the costume was originally blue and not black was because of the limits of the 4-color process that comics used for printing back in the day, right? Much of the detail of the costume would be lost when Batman was in the shadows. The blue allowed the artists to show Batman in detail in the shadows. But hey, that doesn't impact whether you prefer the blue or the black with the gray. Put me down as a fan of the blue who also digs the black (or any other costume, I like pretty much all of em - it the g@#damn Batman after all).

Oh, and the reason, IIRC, for the underwear on the outside on Supes and Bats? It was there to break up the lines of the character and distinguish upper body from lower.

This ongoing discussion reminds me of what Erik Larsen posted on Facebook a few days ago (and when I took a screengrab I was surprised to see that it's an ongoing discussion itself!).

EL_zpseea880e8.jpg

He says some (if not most) of the costumes in print just don't work well on film and vice versa, and that we should just let Hollywood do what they do, and leave comics do what they do.

The good thing is we're all here for high-end action figures, where IMO either armor or spandex looks kickass.

thinking of posing this with the damaged cowl, mouth, slightly hunched, and holding the cape on his right hand.

as if he just fought a wave of enemies, and he's getting himself up to fight another wave.

i have the image in my head, but i doubt i'll nail it LOL

thinking of posing this with the damaged cowl, mouth, slightly hunched, and holding the cape on his right hand.

as if he just fought a wave of enemies, and he's getting himself up to fight another wave.

Like Medicom's Dark Knight pose, same here lol.
See Post #1488.

Last edited:

The problem with displaying him with the damaged cowl is that the outfit will be clean.

Back