Newbie---Which 1/6 Darth Vader Is Worth Picking Up?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zidane

Super Freak
Reaction score
I have HT's put I want to get in on a Vader. I don't have any SW figs :( and as of now I only want one and this is the guy. I've noticed multiple companies have made him but I want to know which one you guys think is the one to have. Consider screen accuracy and from which film (I think I had ewok underwear but I'm sure thats the weakest of the 3) as well as cost.

Thanks for sharing!

Doesn't really sound like you have any commitment to the character, so any should do you, hey I'm a crazy Darth Fan & I put up with the Hasbro one for years.....I could sell you that

seriously though Sideshows with some tweaks is great, Medicoms if your not bothered by scale with other figures & the suit breaking down isn't an issue, never owned one but they looked great!

In the T1000 Hottoys thread there are some displays with Terminator & SSC Darth displayed together, doesn't look out of place

Sideshow's is the only one that is 1/6th. Medicom's looks fantastic but is not in 1/6th scale. Yes, Hasbro did a 14" Vader, but I would assume since you collect Hot Toys that you want something that will actually look comparable.

I have HT's put I want to get in on a Vader. I don't have any SW figs :( and as of now I only want one and this is the guy. I've noticed multiple companies have made him but I want to know which one you guys think is the one to have. Consider screen accuracy and from which film (I think I had ewok underwear but I'm sure thats the weakest of the 3) as well as cost.

Thanks for sharing!

I owned the SS Vader and still own Medicom (ROTS) Vader (for sale in sale thread BTW). Based on pure awesomeness the SS is better mostly because of scale (he is huge).

The problem is finding a SS Vader or finding a SS Vader under $200 (ebay). I guess it depends how much you want to spend or how long you want to wait. I am certain waiting it out you can find a good deal on SS Vader or simply wait until SS releases another Vader (just a matter of when).

Medicom version is undersized and posed with other Medicoms scale is ok but posed with SS or HT appears a bit small. The Medi versions tho can be found a bit cheaper.

I think both versions have screen accuracy issues but most figures do so that is a wash. My take on the figures, good luck with your search.

Genital Giants jumbo vader :rotfl

Go with Sideshow, and you could pick up a Hurricane helm to augment it.

Get sideshow's. for the money, it's the best looking right out of the box.

best scale too. Vader's a BIG dude.

Sorry, Lerath, but I gotta disagree. I have both figures &, as good as the Sideshow figure is, it's not so great straight out of the box. The helmet position needs serious tweaking (as has been discussed at considerable length here) & the body is as much too large for 1/6 as Medicom's Vader is too short. Also, the Medicom figure has the added feature of being able to reveal the scarred Anakin very nicely underneath the removable helmet.

Zidane, if you don't care about having a Vader to go with any other Sideshow figures, I would pick up the ROTJ Medicom Vader, especially since it hasn't priced itself into the stratosphere on eBay as Sideshow's has.

Of course, you could also wait until Sideshow releases another version (if it ever happens, that is).

For that matter...I am about to sell my Hurricane Vader...keep your eyes peeled in the f/s section.

If you want a 1/6 scale Vader (albeit a bit on the large side), go for the Sideshow one.
If you don't care about scale, it's pretty much a tie between the ANH Sideshow or ROTJ Medicom. Each has its pros and cons.

Sorry, Lerath, but I gotta disagree. I have both figures &, as good as the Sideshow figure is, it's not so great straight out of the box. The helmet position needs serious tweaking (as has been discussed at considerable length here) & the body is as much too large for 1/6 as Medicom's Vader is too short. Also, the Medicom figure has the added feature of being able to reveal the scarred Anakin very nicely underneath the removable helmet.

Zidane, if you don't care about having a Vader to go with any other Sideshow figures, I would pick up the ROTJ Medicom Vader, especially since it hasn't priced itself into the stratosphere on eBay as Sideshow's has.

Of course, you could also wait until Sideshow releases another version (if it ever happens, that is).

What you failed to mention is the suit peels like a week old sunburn, the Hasbro quality saber is exceptionally cheap, he'll run you about $50 more than Sideshows (at MSRP) and the fact that his paddle hands pop off if you even look at him funny. This will likely mean having to hunt down the little ring that holds the lightsaber blade in place should he be holding his saber when his hands pull a leper. On the bright side, the Medicom Vader fits right in if you have a substantial collection of MEGOs.

This thread is beginning to have a distinct whiff of Sideshow vs. Medicom about it...SIGH.
Yeah, if you don't collect Star Wars figures other than wanting a good representation of DV, buy either SS's or Medi's. The former is too big and his helmet is off but he's nicely tailoured. The latter is smaller than most 1/6 figures and isn't to scale with SS's Star Wars line but again, the finish on him is superb and the crispy Anakin reveal is brilliantly executed ...Both will look great on your shelf with an accompanying Storm Trooper or two. You can't go wrong either way imo.

Last edited:
Back