Newbie---Which 1/6 Darth Vader Is Worth Picking Up?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:lecture

This is true. Hasbro, despite numerous requests by collectors, never produced any Darth Vader figures. 100% fact.

What you failed to mention is the suit peels like a week old sunburn, the Hasbro quality saber is exceptionally cheap, he'll run you about $50 more than Sideshows (at MSRP) and the fact that his paddle hands pop off if you even look at him funny. This will likely mean having to hunt down the little ring that holds the lightsaber blade in place should he be holding his saber when his hands pull a leper. On the bright side, the Medicom Vader fits right in if you have a substantial collection of MEGOs.

Are Medicom Vader outfits starting to peel? I'd heard that being the case with some of the Hasbro figures. You're right about the "paddle hands," but at least they're more likely to hold up to years of swapping hands than your average Hot Toys wrist peg. As for the metal rings on the saber, I think I've had to scour my house for these on my Sideshow figures than anything else.

Yes, the MSRP on the Sideshow Vader was much lower than the Medicom's, but that was over a year ago & eBay prices have since skyrocketed. I don't know for sure, but I think the Medicom Vader can actually be had for closer to its original asking price these days.

Are Medicom Vader outfits starting to peel? I'd heard that being the case with some of the Hasbro figures. You're right about the "paddle hands," but at least they're more likely to hold up to years of swapping hands than your average Hot Toys wrist peg. As for the metal rings on the saber, I think I've had to scour my house for these on my Sideshow figures than anything else.

Yes, the MSRP on the Sideshow Vader was much lower than the Medicom's, but that was over a year ago & eBay prices have since skyrocketed. I don't know for sure, but I think the Medicom Vader can actually be had for closer to its original asking price these days.

Yes, there've been several reports of the Medi suit peeling just like the Hasbro which is even worse considering it's a $180 figure. I'd check for cracks if you own one. And overall, agreed but for two points. The saber, the plastic cup you remove from the top of the hilt to put the blade in the hilt is what I'm talking about. When the hands holding the saber fall off and the saber hits first, it usually forces the blade to pop out of the hilt which flings that little plastic cup across the room. As for the pegs, no. The HT wrist pegs for a Vader would likely be Predator sized and a non-issue, and I doubt there'll ever be any issue with the Sideshow pegs which are monstrosities (unless you're a barbaric kid or a butterfingered adult who doesn't know how to handle high-end collectibles).

My Medicom ROTS Vader shows no signs of peeling etc. I agree the hands aren't the greatest. Last time I checked evilbay, SS Vader was well over $250. Crazy spending that kinda dough when a little patience wait for version 2 from SS.

My Medicom ROTS Vader shows no signs of peeling etc. I agree the hands aren't the greatest. Last time I checked evilbay, SS Vader was well over $250. Crazy spending that kinda dough when a little patience wait for version 2 from SS.

ROTS fixed the paddle hands, but the shoulder armor was scooped like a mini ski jump drool catcher, the chain holding the cape is rusted (on most) and the cape was done with considerably less quality than the ROTJ version. The reason the ROTJ is peeling and ROTS isn't is because of when they were released. Both suits are identical so it's only a matter of time before the ROTS starts. Owned both and sold both. A little part of me regrets the ROTJ Vader (the better of the two), but I'd rather they go to someone who'll enjoy them then sit on my shelves and decompose before my eyes.

I owned SS and trying to sell Medicom (ROTS), I found flaws in both. I am waiting for SS ROTJ version to be released. Perhaps SS can fix some of their issues and I'll have the perfect Vader.

I owned SS and trying to sell Medicom (ROTS), I found flaws in both. I am waiting for SS ROTJ version to be released. Perhaps SS can fix some of their issues and I'll have the perfect Vader.

Yeah, I am in now way saying the Sideshow Vader is flawless, but it's no doubt, the best of the three. I really wish Marmit had released their Vader. :(

Alex has some good pics of different Vaders on his Toyhaven blog:

https://toyhaven.blogspot.com/2009/07/comparing-sideshow-with-medicom-and.html

I bought my SSC Vader when the the aussie dollar was low (now 96cents to the USD, back then 81cents to the USD). It cost me a fair amount with shipping and the low dollar, around $250. But now when I look at his intimidating awesomness sitting on my shelf I don't think about the money I spent.

Medicom's Vader is a beautiful figure and IMHO more screen accurate - but unlike sideshow's version, Vader's aura will definitely NOT come across in your display if you have 1/6 figures posed around him.

Back