HD TV question ( DLP vs LCD )

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KitFisto

Super Freak
Reaction score
I am thinking of replacing the 65" projection TV I have in my basement. It's actually got a great picture for a projection TV, but it's about 5 years old now and ended up with 2 small burn in spots from playing Gears of War so much when sitting in the menus before matches where two, bright white spots were.

I have and know about LCD TV's and love them, but there seems to be a BIG savings if you go DLP instead. I know very little about DLP and was hoping some here could share opinions on them. Seems like a decent LCD of 65" or better will run more than $4,500 and a DLP can be had for about $1,800 to $2,000.

I'd like to get something from 65" to 73".

I am thinking of replacing the 65" projection TV I have in my basement. It's actually got a great picture for a projection TV, but it's about 5 years old now and ended up with 2 small burn in spots from playing Gears of War so much when sitting in the menus before matches where two, bright white spots were.

I have and know about LCD TV's and love them, but there seems to be a BIG savings if you go DLP instead. I know very little about DLP and was hoping some here could share opinions on them. Seems like a decent LCD of 65" or better will run more than $4,500 and a DLP can be had for about $1,800 to $2,000.

Oh and your old Mistsu probably has a better picture than any DLP would.

I'd like to get something from 65" to 73".

DLP isn't as nice as LCD's. They still use a projector and tend to not be as bright or have that great of contrast. Also DLP's have bulbs that will need to be replaced about every two to three years depending on usage and cost about $200. Some people also notice a rainbow effect coming from the image. That depends on your eyes. The only advantage DLP has over LCD right now is in fact the price. Hope this helps my friend!

Oh and your old Mistsu probably has a better picture than any DLP would.

I had a DLP for 4 years and it was great But i wanted a LCD so last year i got a LG.The deal was to good so i got a 52" LG 120hrt true-motion. Its great for gaming there is no lag like you might get with a DLP. If your using the TV for Gaming go with a 120 or 220 hrt TV You'll see a difference.
My old DLP went to my dad who had never seen anything that good, but recently it broke down and is being repaired. If your buying a New TV make sure to get the extended warranty it is well worth the money. The DLP was more then half paid for by a previous TV that was warrantied and unrepairable.

The DLPs are cheaper cause it's becomeing old tech

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'll save the funds up and go LCD. I need bigger then 55" though. Need at least 65" as 55" would be a bit too small as far back as my recliners are from where the TV sits.

I had a DLP for 4 years and it was great But i wanted a LCD so last year i got a LG.The deal was to good so i got a 52" LG 120hrt true-motion. Its great for gaming there is no lag like you might get with a DLP. If your using the TV for Gaming go with a 120 or 220 hrt TV You'll see a difference.
My old DLP went to my dad who had never seen anything that good, but recently it broke down and is being repaired. If your buying a New TV make sure to get the extended warranty it is well worth the money. The DLP was more then half paid for by a previous TV that was warrantied and unrepairable.

The DLPs are cheaper cause it's becomeing old tech

I always laugh when I am turning through channels and they are pedaling DLP TV's on home shopping channels. Their main pitch is always the same. "Movie theaters upgraded and they use this technology. If a billion dollar industry trusts this tech than so should you." What they fail to mention is that movie theaters use DLP projectors and that projection TV's are and will be a thing of the past. I feel bad for the common person watching these shows that decide to purchase these based off of facts that are being twisted.

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'll save the funds up and go LCD. I need bigger then 55" though. Need at least 65" as 55" would be a bit too small as far back as my recliners are from where the TV sits.

Yeah as flattering as the price is, DLP is old school technology. You can always be certain when looking at prices .............. there is always a reason for such a gap.

Although I have a Samsung Plasma, my next T.V. will be an LCD for sure.

Not really... my recliners are about the same distance as yours are, and my TV is perfect. You don't wanna go too big (joke away). But seriously.

DLPs share the similar fate of other rearprojector tvs in that they are not good for watching from side angles.

I've recently seen 55" plasmas with nice prices. Anyone have advice on plasmas vs lcd?

I'm still rocking my 32" sony 4:3 I bought from Sears 8 years ago or so. It sucks greatly missing out on all the new tech, but its nice knowing when I finally buy a TV I'll be getting good value for my buck. Providing my basement is finally completed this winter I'll then splurge for a kick ass tv.

DLPs share the similar fate of other rearprojector tvs in that they are not good for watching from side angles.

I've recently seen 55" plasmas with nice prices. Anyone have advice on plasmas vs lcd?

I plan on getting a plasma. If you're going to go big, that's the way to go. I don't do gaming though.

Not really... my recliners are about the same distance as yours are, and my TV is perfect. You don't wanna go too big (joke away). But seriously.

Yeah, but I am used to a 65" and I think I'd feel like the 55" was too small for the room.

Back