Success!! A collectables and women story

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craigisnutter

Freakzoid
Reaction score
Apologies is this is the wrong area to put this, but as it's general....i spose it counts.

I've always been a collector, right from a youngster. I went through all the phases kids did at the time; Turtles, Power Rangers, Pokemon etc. But throughout the 80's and 90's there was always the underlying love of Star Wars. Consequently, i amassed a rediculously large Star Wars collection and not just figures. I had posters, masks, towels, Pepsi Cans, Advertising signs from supermarkets....just about anything Star Wars. To the extent that at 1 point in time i only had a 2 foot by 2 foot area of my room that could actually be stood in (just enough to open my bedroom door). I took over the house, it was everywhere.

I downsized considerably about 5-6 years ago, when i started getting heavily into my wrestling. Not only did i unsuprisingly have a new Wrestling collection to make way for, but with my training etc, it just felt time.

Around 4 years ago now, i started a relationship with a girl who couldn't understand collecting. I tried my best to explain the love of the plastic crack....but she just couldn't get it. It got to a point where she was pretty much trying to blackmail me to get rid of my collections 'if i loved her' etc.

Luckily, about a year ago, we broke up. Now a month and half ago, i met a new girl. Not only is she just generally nicer and my parents actually like her, but after not grasping collecting at first, she now loves it. She's actually encouraging me to collect and as i recently left my job to go back to Uni come october....she's actually going to be funding my collection too!! I've even got her to start a little collection, nothing fancy, just she loves Spongebob, so she's got a load of figures and beanies decorating my room.:rolleyes:

Are there actually a race of women who 'get' collecting, or have i just hit 1 hell of a jackpot here?

Anyway, just thought i'd leave a note, incase anyone else was having the experiences i had before. Being pressured to lose the collections. Don't do it! :D

Good on you. It always helps when they understand your sickness. I lucked out as well. My ex-wife didn't have a problem with my collecting and my present wife collects stuff herself, Hallmark ornaments and high end Barbies, so she understands.

I've not seen any female sounding names in my travels on these boards so far, but then i spose that's the anonimity of a forum for ya. If there are, i can only apologise to those ladies around. I didn't mean to collectively group all females of the world like that :p

There are a ton of women on these boards.

Wetanut
Buffygirl
Sueworld
Mrs. Mac
GruSam
Jen
Necessita
Dr2Red
Crix
Vespagirl
Zoomaround
SideshowDusty
Migwit
SideshowChicky
SpikeLuv13
Vyxen85
Sentry1
Adoptedscot
Angelica57
ArwenEvenstar
Jessica
CAhobbit
Firefly Flanatic
Josette
DarthSaffron
Black Cat
Devilgirl
Choopie
Jaffakitkat

That was in 2008 too, there are lot more who have joined since then. They were listed in an infamous Crix thread that was ultimately killed by this image:

this-thread-is-gay.jpg

and even though the thread is locked and dead, the read is still funny even today.

Wetanut
Buffygirl
Sueworld
Mrs. Mac
GruSam
Jen
Necessita
Dr2Red
Crix
Vespagirl
Zoomaround
SideshowDusty
Migwit
SideshowChicky
SpikeLuv13
Vyxen85
Sentry1
Adoptedscot
Angelica57
ArwenEvenstar
Jessica
CAhobbit
Firefly Flanatic
Josette
DarthSaffron
Black Cat
Devilgirl
Choopie
Jaffakitkat

That was in 2008 too, there are lot more who have joined since then. They were listed in an infamous Crix thread that was ultimately killed by this image:

this-thread-is-gay.jpg

and even though the thread is locked and dead, the read is still funny even today.

Damn Mike! I knew you were a perv but didn't know you were a stalker too! :horror:rotfl

Wetanut
Buffygirl
Sueworld
Mrs. Mac
GruSam
Jen
Necessita
Dr2Red
Crix
Vespagirl
King Darkness
Zoomaround
SideshowDusty
Migwit
SideshowChicky
SpikeLuv13
Vyxen85
Sentry1
Adoptedscot
Angelica57
ArwenEvenstar
Jessica
CAhobbit
Firefly Flanatic
Josette
DarthSaffron
Black Cat
Devilgirl
Choopie
Jaffakitkat

I knew it! :google

That King is a sneaky bastard.

My wife certainly doesn't embrace my collecting habits, but is certainly understanding and works hard to get me cool gifts for birthdays, holidays, etc. Probably helps that she was quickly introduced to the fact that I collected figures... so she clearly knew what she was getting into :lecture :lol

Wow, so many female collectors. Gotta admit, don't tend to see too many females at cons or toyfares i go to, well apart from the obligatory Harry Potter and Twighlight teenie boppers that just go to perve over the guests signing. :p

I started with Star Wars (and then the prequels killed it for me, but that's a whole other story), but have expanded my collecting to different things as I've grown up. I started when I was 13, with basic figures, and now I collect high end stuff from companies like Hot Toys. I have Buffy, Pirates of the Caribbean, X-Files, Dark Knight, Men in Black, customs, and my two biggest ones are probably Dark Shadows and Watchmen - they're the two that I have a variety of collectibles of, not just figures. I mostly concentrate on 1/6th scale figures.

I just ran into a situation recently where a guy was into collecting and his girlfriend I could tell wasn't going to be able to handle it. They were an accident waiting to happen. And when I told him I'd kick someone out before I gave up my collecting I think he was pleasantly surprised.

Are there actually a race of women who 'get' collecting, or have i just hit 1 hell of a jackpot here?

Actually women are the pioneers of collecting. Doll collecting by women goes back into the 19th century, but more generally collecting for decorative purposes, whether Franklin Mint plates or Hummel figures is a domestic phenomenon which has been driven by women as home makers.

Collecting by men with the exception of sports or military items was seen as a campy (i.e. homosexual) trait until the last fifteen years or so. Remember the Simpsons episode with John Waters? What does his character do? Collects pop culture stuff, especially toys.

I personally was into collecting Playmobil, Smurfs and (ashamedly to admit) Beanie Babies long before Sideshow enticed me with its Buffy and Star Wars lines into 1:6 scale collecting. I think the difficult thing is not finding a woman into 'collecting' per se but a woman sufficiently into scifi/fantasy/superheroes. We do exist though.

My wife is the one that got me back into 1/6 figures, and continues with it to this day. She is known around the boards(MWD and Triad) as "Arianne02" and is quite highly thought of as a customizer...PS

Wetanut
Buffygirl
Sueworld
Mrs. Mac
GruSam
Jen
Necessita
Dr2Red
Crix
Vespagirl
Zoomaround
SideshowDusty
Migwit
SideshowChicky
SpikeLuv13
Vyxen85
Sentry1
Adoptedscot
Angelica57
ArwenEvenstar
Jessica
CAhobbit
Firefly Flanatic
Josette
DarthSaffron
Black Cat
Devilgirl
Choopie
Jaffakitkat

Mike knows ALL.

I'm a lucky guy too. 8 years of marriage. Met my wife when we were both trying to win an auction to a Kiss CD. :naughty

I had stopped collecting and when we married and moved to our first apartment we found an old GIJoe in my stuff, that made me nostalgic and with her incentive I restarted collecting.

Nowadays she has her own small collection too (Music related figures and Simpsons). I'm more into Minimates and 1/6th.

And she also enjoys comics, star wars, sci-fi, etc. So we really live in the same world. This kind of partnership is the best. :D

:chew:chew:chew

My wife would probably laugh herself silly if my collection went up in flames :monkey2

My wife would cry, not because of my loss but because she knows I would spend every waking hour and every extra penny that came to us to rebuild my collection leaving not one single piece out. :D

Back