Differences in the Iron Man 2 Mark 4 over the Iron Man Mark 3

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mike

In the Pixels
Reaction score
Figured this thread would be nice to detail the differences especially since Iron Man 2 product is probably only about six to eight months away. I'm interested in seeing who else can spot out and point out difference especially as more pics are released to see the difference between the two costumes.

At first glance, there are a lot of differences visually from the Mark 3 to the Mark 4

Mark 3:
iron-man-mark-iii-armor.jpg

Mark 4:
SDCC149.jpg

The faceplate is narrower as you can see the single ridge on the Mark 4 instead of the double ridge on the Mark 3. The chest region is completely retooled into more a plated look instead of one piece with just parts that were raised. Also the two silver bolts that were on either side of the chest as well as the brackets are gone. The shadowed portions of the chest which showed the black underarmor have been replaced with golden accents that are full parts of the armor. The shoulders are paired down more aerodynamic with plates instead of large "cuffs". The actual piece over the shoulder portion are completely different adding more of a one piece look instead of the layered look of the Mark 3. The abdomen area is retooled as well not only with gold accents but also three full panels instead of just four. The guantlets are redone to look more stylish and the bicep portions are full cut components instead of just ridges like in the Mark 3. The codpiece is changed without the piece jutting forward and the thigh pieces are remolded, elongated and more golden accents instead of just silver ones.

I'm interested to see if anyone else's eye can catch differences in the two designs.

Last edited:
I know you have already mentioned it, but the thighs grabbed me first, (no pun intended). Look a lot sleeker that way.

Loving this suit so far. Can't wait to see it in action.

So what you're really saying, Mike, is that this is a totally different suit.

The biceps and upper forearm areas are different. The discs at the hips look to have been retooled.

Are you sure that second pic is MKIV?
It was a prop for SDCC.

Yes, Gabberjawa posted a pic from EW which is the same suit and it was confirmed during the SDCC Panel that it was the new suit.

So what you're really saying, Mike, is that this is a totally different suit. The biceps and upper forearm areas are different. The discs at the hips look to have been retooled.

Yes but its important to note for two reasons, one: a lot of people are waiting on new product to buy stuff. Like "I can't afford the Mark 3 1:2 statue so I'll just wait for Iron Man 2 stuff" that isn't going to be the case because it'll be a different suit. Two: Its important to see what the difference are and note them because the Hasbro Iron Man 2 Mark 4 already looks to be inaccurate from what they showed at SDCC.

I think MKIV is by and large a simple redux of MKIII. It'll be an easy pass for me when Hot Toys release it. I'm more interested to see what War Machine will look like (I hear its completely bad ass) and I'm also assuming Stark unleashes MKV at some point, which i'd say will be a safe bet for being AWESOME

I saw from the pics from the Con that it was a different suit. Someone said they were told it was the BD. Good to see our Iron Man officianado is on the job. With product already being announced it will be good to get the new suit figure just when the film is about to be released, instead of waiting a year.

SDCC153.jpg

SDCC151.jpg

versus the Mark III BD and Mark II suites:

SDCC140.jpg

the new suit is slimmer on the torso but bulkier from the thighs down. shoulderplates are much closer to the body and less pronounced. abdomen area seems inverted which I hate. Colour wise, I'm not digging the matte finish on the gold parts of the armour!...and god, those thighs!:google..........awful!!!...who designed the new suit!?:confused:

Thanks for posting that first pic jinxx. That was the one I saw, but from a different angle. At least now I know why someone said it was the BD, because I couldn't see the BD properly. Communication breakdown.

Now that I can see the lower leg area, the knees are two part, as well as the shins, with a wider calf section.

I'm not sure if that's the finnished suit guys
I was right in thinking they are going for the extremis look
Check out the chest piece on the Comic Con banner it's different to the suit above
hr_Comic-Con_2009_45.jpg

Speaking of Extremis, Favreau and crew better do the "Extremis" story for IM3.

hmmm the "new" armour has a more angular design theme overall, with bigger thighs. but that's about it.

i somehow doubt that'll be the main armour in the sequel. the differences are just too subtle for joe public to get.

i kinda dig the different looking armour in the comic con banner, especially the triangular chest RT.

and i agree that we should see an extremis-inspired storyline in the next film or so---it's by far my favourite iron man story. i like it even more than "demon in a bottle", though dramatically-speaking there's a lot of potential in exploring stark's alcoholism.

I'm not sure if that's the finnished suit guys
I was right in thinking they are going for the extremis look
Check out the chest piece on the Comic Con banner it's different to the suit above
hr_Comic-Con_2009_45.jpg

Its completely possible that we get a Mark 4 and a Mark 5, with the Mark 5 being more like the Extremis suit. There is confirmation that Tony discusses altering the suit on tv but it might be the Mark 4 from the Mark 3 or even War Machine but who knows. Its completely possible as well that the Mark 4 gets destroyed fighting Whiplash causing the need for a Mark 5. The thing to remember is that there is a different so this is different from TDK for example where it was supposed to be the Begins suit.

Wired took some up close pics of the Mark 4 and its already slightly weathered:

_mg_5155.jpg

_mg_5174.jpg

_mg_5176.jpg

_mg_5175.jpg

_mg_5177.jpg

Does anybody have any good shots of the Hasbro Iron Man 2 1:6 figure that has the Extremis triangle?

Back