Was faramir a poor choice?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

denger4000

Super Freak
Reaction score
Since we know that this line is pretty much over does anyone else here think they should of picked someone besides Faramir? I would of picked either Saurmon or the Witch king maybe. the fellowship wouldn't of been done either way but at least we could of had a baddie.

I would have preferred it... Faramir is the only one I didn't buy. And while I don't think he was the deathnail of the line, I would have rather gotten at least one villain or another Fellowship member.

I would have preferred it... Faramir is the only one I didn't buy. And while I don't think he was the deathnail of the line, I would have rather gotten at least one villain or another Fellowship member.

Well we couldn't of had Merry and no Pippin and Vise virsa and I think the hobbit body is no good for Gimli so I think a Villain would of been better. I bought Faramir but I planned on buying everything.

I have to agree with GB about Faramir not being the reason this line failed. Overall the figure was well developed it just suffered from that horendus paint job. Most figures and lines have flaws and I think this line just suffered from a low fan base and the figures lingering in ther warehouse for several months after release probably showed SS that they could not make a profit. They made a huge loss with having to give the rest away by making them GC eligible.

I think Sarumon would have a wiser choice and involved about the same level of r&d.

This thread just goes to show we can't win either way :lol Some of you may remember the huge (HUGE) uproar when the Weta line ended and Faramir didn't get a 1/6th scale statue representation in the line. This was a way for Sideshow to help out in that regard.

And maybe I'm blind, but I have the Faramir production figure and think it's awesome. We also gave one to David Wenham at the last ORC con and he was super impressed - I guess he's not used to having figures made of him ;)

Regardless, it definitely wasn't Faramir - it was a combo of factors that just can't be overcome at the moment, due mostly to the economy. So come on, where are the Faramir-philes out there who will stand with me to defend his honor? :D

Well, I liked my Faramir enough to pay Josh to repaint it. Now he is definitely one of my faves.

But yeah, I agree with Dusty that the LOTR 1:6 line was the victim of many factors.

I loved Faramir, and when he came out, I thought that it singalled that Sideshow had a long and deep committment to the LOTR line.

I think overall the quality on the LOTR line was top-notch. Sure figures could have been a little more weathered, but we are talking about mass-production.

Thanks for chiming in Dusty, it is good to see SS represented on the boards.

In hind sight, someone other than Faramir would've been a better choice. But at the time it was an ok decision. As Dusty pointed out, many wanted a 1:6 representation of Faramir that they didn't get in the Weta line. Others wanted Sideshow to make someone other than the Fellowship to show they were committed to second tier characters as well. He's the black sheep of this line no doubt, but does still fit in if posed with his brother.

I loved Faramir, and when he came out, I thought that it singalled that Sideshow had a long and deep committment to the LOTR line.

I think overall the quality on the LOTR line was top-notch. Sure figures could have been a little more weathered, but we are talking about mass-production.

Thanks for chiming in Dusty, it is good to see SS represented on the boards.

Your avatar is freakin' me out! :horror

It's Dr Horrible! From the Joss Whedon series on itunes. Neil Patrick Harris plays an evil scientist in love, and blogs about it.

I think he is doing some sort of "daft hands" thing...

It's Dr Horrible! From the Joss Whedon series on itunes. Neil Patrick Harris plays an evil scientist in love, and blogs about it.

:lol Very daft hands! I just lost five minutes staring at it...darn near hypnotised me...

...hopefully the first and last time Neil Patrick Harris will do that to me! :google

And maybe I'm blind, but I have the Faramir production figure and think it's awesome. We also gave one to David Wenham at the last ORC con and he was super impressed - I guess he's not used to having figures made of him ;)

You might be :lol I think the figure overally looked really nice, but a number of them had pretty shoddy paint work. Maybe you got a good one, but a number of people weren't so lucky.

I was not a Weta collector, so I guess I was saved the outrage of not having him... but I would have loved to at least get one villian before the line tanked. Its sad their wasn't more support for the line, especially with how amazing Gandalf turned out.

Joss Whedon has a series on iTunes? Wow, I'm really out of it (that's what having a baby does to you - take note now, those without kids! :lol)

I for one was glad Faramir (my paint apps where fine) was made & Boromir both where my favourite humans in the book, Now Strider as an Exclusive was a mistake!!!!! & Baddie in the mix would have helped, But generally the release of the line was to slow to keep me in the line, to many other lines are available to take valuable $$$ & space. I always wanted Gandalf but strangely I haven't purchased maybe it's the price or even the cost of shipping from SSC which has killed it for me. I was never a fan of Sam or Frodo either, Merry & Pippin seemed more interesting in the book as well to me

Faramir was a GOOD choice at the beginning of this venture. I was one of the outraged regarding the abrupt end of the LOTR Weta pieces. And I, for one, was gratified that Sideshow made Faramir the inaugural piece for their 12" line. In fact, it was because of that considerate gesture by SS that I bought all the 12"ers (although many who know me know that I'm really not into the 12" line).

To imply that perhaps it was the Faramir choice that helped end this line is armchair quarterbacking. "What if" is a futile game that can be played to an infinate number of situations...."what if" I was born rich/had better genes/been born 800 years ago, "what if" SS started out with and did more baddies/heroes/hobbits/yada yada. It serves no purpose in the long run. It is what it is. The line has slowed down/on hold/ended for a number of reasons -- all pretty much hashed out elsewhere on these boards.

this is like closing the door after the horse has bolted :dunno dosent really matter now. the line is dead :monkey2:monkey2 but yes i have faramir and he's my favourite :banana :D whats not to like.

i just bought faramir from a board member a few days ago (along with aragorn from another). cant wait to get my hands on them, as both were two of my favorites from the good guys.

Back