PDA

View Full Version : The Chris Chulamanis Memorial Custom USCM Figure Project

Pages : [1] 2

Les Walker
01-12-2008, 10:40 AM
I speak for all who will be involved in this.

Together, we SSF members involved, are going to endeavor to work up a thorough and fitting tribute figure of Chris Chulamanis, worthy of his wonderful contributions to our field of Figure Customs, especially to the Colonial Marines figure making world, to be given to whomever is best to receive it, at a time when the figure is completed.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w245/Mudshark_Album/chrischulamanis.jpg

Until then this will primarily be an idea and image thread, usable for all involved members to add their knowledge and submit parts and gear or pics and info to.

I will contribute my brush to a head, to be acquired, and a base with a plaque.

I will keep this list going and updated often with contributions:

-Les Walker - Head?/Headpaint, Base, Engraved plaque? (subject to cost/group donations?/wording to be determined)
-Dark Artist Josh - Attire, weathering and other DA Dirtyin'
-Ironman1188 - Head? Body, Boots, Gear (tbd)
-Stendec
-Mudshark

This will all be done in memory of Chris. :rock

DarkArtist81
01-12-2008, 10:44 AM
I'm also on board, here for clothing and armor weathering...:viking

Chris was a valued member of the custom community and his work was an inspiration to my own custom Marines, including my self portrait. He was a great guy and deserves a memorial of the highest order. I'm down for whatever needs to be done. :duff

Ironman1188
01-12-2008, 10:50 AM
I have the uni, knife, hasp & lock, shotgun and sheath, some patches, maybe the boots. I can add the body and hopefully the head as well once pics are in.

DarkArtist81
01-12-2008, 10:51 AM
I have a spare HT body that I could donate as well, just doesn't have hands or a neck adapter.

Les Walker
01-12-2008, 10:54 AM
I have the uni, knife, hasp & lock, shotgun and sheath, some patches, maybe the boots. I can add the body and hopefully the head as well once pics are in.

Cool. He needs good boots. Those nicer ones out there than the molded HT ones, if possible.

Can you start a running list of needed loose gear Steve? I am not sure all the parts needed. Thanks.

What about armor? Helmet, etc...

Ironman1188
01-12-2008, 10:54 AM
Thanks Josh! Once we know his height a little better [can't really tell in that photo] we can get a better bead on what body might work best [as well as working with the head]

DarkArtist81
01-12-2008, 10:55 AM
I've got various parts from the kits, Ammo bags, pistol holsters.... extra grenades.

Stendec
I can contribute:

A set of Chris' own bdus and patches.
A loose HT helmet and swatch of his bdu fabric to make an accurate helmet cover (someone with better tailoring skills would have to make it though)
VP-70 and holster.
Loose utility pouches.
Also I hope a set of accurate dog tags with his name and serial number.

It would be great if we could use as mucha s possible of his own gear rather than using Hot Toys stuff but for the most part I guess it wont be possible to do that. I know Angie (Sentry 1) made the original sculpts for some of the items he sold (such as Pulse Rifle) so maybe she can help out on that front.

Les Walker
I have a spare HT body that I could donate as well, just doesn't have hands or a neck adapter.

We do need to settle on a body. HT is probably for sure.
What say you Ironman?

DarkArtist81
01-12-2008, 10:57 AM
Great idea Stendec. That would be key I think as well, it being a tribute to him... would be nice to use as much of his personal gear kits as possible. :duff

Les Walker
01-12-2008, 10:59 AM
I can contribute:

A set of Chris' own bdus and patches.
A loose HT helmet and swatch of his bdu fabric to make an accurate helmet cover (someone with better tailoring skills would have to make it though)
VP-70 and holster.
Loose utility pouches.
Also I hope a set of accurate dog tags with his name and serial number.

It would be great if we could use as mucha s possible of his own gear rather than using Hot Toys stuff but for the most part I guess it wont be possible to do that. I know Angie (Sentry 1) made the original sculpts for some of the items he sold (such as Pulse Rifle) so maybe she can help out on that front.

Great idea. And I think you have a great point, as much of Chris' gear as possible needs to be used. A running list of this needs to be gathered and set, so we don't have overrun of parts. :D
I'll step back and let you experts work this out, and when we have it finalized, I will post the stuff in the first post list.

Thanks guys. This is great. I feel like if we were all in the same room, we'd have the figure done this evening! :rock
(nothing like miles apart to slow us down...)

Ironman1188
01-12-2008, 11:04 AM
Les, I'm just working off the pic at the top as to what Chris actually wore.
- helmet
- uni X
- boots
- shin guards
- chest armor
- shotgun/sheath X
- patches X
- motion tracker
- watch X
- pouches
- body X
- head ?
- knife X
- lock & hasp X
Lemme know if i overlooked anything

Stendec
01-12-2008, 11:04 AM
I also have a pair of ACE cloth/leather Jungle Boots I'd be happy to contirbute. They are really nice boots, just that a couple of the eyelets have come loose from threading the laces.

Ironman1188
01-12-2008, 11:09 AM
Hot Toys will probably be best. I know Les has heightened figures with inserts and I'm sure that could be worked out here if need be. The uni, patches, knife, hasp & lock and shotgun/sheath I have to use are all Chris' stuff.

Ironman1188
01-12-2008, 11:19 AM
I also have a pair of ACE cloth/leather Jungle Boots I'd be happy to contirbute. They are really nice boots, just that a couple of the eyelets have come loose from threading the laces.

Something that can be glued into place after assembled though?

abake
01-12-2008, 11:21 AM
This is a beautiful project guys, kudos to all of you!

Rogue Trooper
01-12-2008, 12:37 PM
Great project, i think that small green pouches is for a rifle cleaning kit. Looks similar to a bread bag but think that might be too big and a ammo pouch might be too small.

Ironman1188
01-12-2008, 05:30 PM
Any chance of getting this thread stickied at least until the project is finished?

JediMike71
01-12-2008, 05:58 PM
I wish I had something to contribute guys. I was floored by the news of Chris's death. I do have some of his 1/6 scale marines patches and equipment that I plan on keeping. But, I would definitely be interested in buying a custom figure of Chris if it is ever offered for sale. Maybe if a tribute 1/6 scale figure of Chris as a USCM is offered to board members for sale, then the profits from it would go to his family in his honor. I would proudly display him next to all of my Hot Toys marines!

pjam
01-12-2008, 06:26 PM
This is a wonderful project, I salute you all!

If there is anything I can do to contribute, LMK.

Mudshark, check your PM box please Bro.

Jamal
01-12-2008, 06:39 PM
Id like to help but i cant customize for crap man..

Mudshark
01-13-2008, 05:03 AM
Wow, you guys are already rollin' on this project. Sorry I couldn't stick around yesterday/last night. As it turned out I wasn't able to get much sleep anyway, thinking about this long after I went to bed.

It occurred to me that to do this properly we're going to need an accurate description and/or photos of the uniform and gear Chris wore, especially any personalized touches he may have added to it. That will make it uniquely his and should be included with the figure, if at all possible. Maybe at some point we could get some much needed help from his friends on the other boards in that regard.

I have an M41-A Pulse Rifle kit I got from Chris last year that I can donate. I already started prepping it, but it's still unassembled and unpainted. I have some other commitments that demand my attention at the moment, but I don't think it would take me very long to get it built and painted if it can wait a few weeks.

I also have an as yet unbuilt EVA M10 Helmet kit, if that would be a better choice than the HT model. I know Stendec has already offered one.

Ironman1188
01-13-2008, 06:30 AM
I think pics from the other site he was a part of will be a big part of answering the uniform accuracy questions. As for helmets, I'll let the Aliens pros answer which they think will work best. Will both helmet versions work with any headsculpt?

Stendec
01-13-2008, 06:34 AM
You raised a great point there Mudshark. From the photos I have seen of Chris in armor, it does look like he added alot of personal motiffs and touches to his gear so its important we nail those. The guys on the AL Forum ca help wihty pics and descriptions for us Im sure. I am a member there so I'l mention this to them.

Regarding the helmet Mudshark, if you can provide a EVA helmet kit that would be fantastic, it would be more apt for this project. I have a swatch of his bdu fabric that can be made into a helmet cover by someone, Chris always had a helmet cover on his costume. Big props for donating one of his pulse rifle kits too Mudshark, that will be a really nice addition to the figure.

Lets keep the momentum going on this guys :rock

Les Walker
01-13-2008, 08:01 AM
This is going great. I will finalize the list when you guys are sure about who's providing what. I like the use of Chris' helmet and all. And yeah, get his specific uniform details and add pics here if possible. I assume any BDUs can go straight to DA for dirtying, and I would think you have time to get that gun done Mudshark. Go for it! Anyone dissagree?
This is no rush job. We need to do it right.

Thanks for the enthusiasm guys. And Jamal, you and others can help me pay for the base and engraving or possible dogtag??? for the base. DA Josh suggested getting the nameplate as a USCM style dogtag, if we can get details on them from these reenactor guys. That might make a cool label.

Anyway, just cheerleading this is helping it. Chime in anyone with an idea. All are welcome.

Ironman1188
01-13-2008, 08:55 AM
Absolutely. This is not a rush job, its a "do it right" job. DA, I'll try and send the uni out later in the week, ok?
In the meantime I'll start gathering all the other stuff I have.
No, wait, I'll hold off on the ui until we see what patches are required. They should all be on the uni prior to weathering it, shouldn't they?

Les Walker
01-13-2008, 08:59 AM
Absolutely. This is not a rush job, its a "do it right" job. DA, I'll try and send the uni out later in the week, ok?
In the meantime I'll start gathering all the other stuff I have.
No, wait, I'll hold off on the ui until we see what patches are required. They should all be on the uni prior to weathering it, shouldn't they?

I would think that is the better way. Plus, we don't know his personalized accents either. I wonder if his helmet cover sported images and stuff, ala Hudson's helm. Looks like we need a good info response from those AL guys.

JediMike71
01-13-2008, 10:15 PM
Les, and everyone else involved is this going to be a "one-shot" figure or a single figure of Chris as a USCM for a memorial of him? I wasn't sure if it was planned to make where each of us interested could buy one, or if it was just going to be the ONE figure. Let me know. Thanks!

metaphorge
01-14-2008, 12:17 AM
Wow. I've been mostly away from the board for the last week or so and I'm floored that this happened. I had just been in communication with Chris in the last month or so, he was such a nice guy.

I'll have to check and see what parts I may have to offer (I know I have EVA's shotgun/holster, but I think you guys have that covered), but I'm certainly up for putting money towards the base/plaque or anything else that needs to be added to the project. Are there any parts that stick out as being needed still?

Also, this is the sort of thing that makes it an honor and a privelege to be a part of the community here. We've got something special going, guys.

Mudshark
01-14-2008, 01:33 AM
Just wanted to chime in here on a couple of things. If/when we get some good reference pics up here, we should be able to establish some continuity with the various parts of uniform and gear regarding weathering, etc., so it will all look right, not pieced together (as it will be). I agree it would be best to wait till the costume is fully assembled, so all the weathering can be done at the same time by Josh. I think the weapons and other pieces of hardware could be handled separately, though.

Metaphorge raised a good question, there's one thing we're probably going to need, a suit of armour... chest, groin and leg. Does anyone have a set of armour (or individual pieces) they could spare? I guess Hot Toys would be the easiest to acquire, but an EVA-made set would be even better.

This brings up another question that may have occurred to some of you... what's going to happen to EVA Models without Chris? I know it's too soon to be thinking about that now, but it may be something to consider in terms of acquiring anything we can't already supply ourselves. Does anyone have any thoughts (or news) in that regard?

We do have an option of having him dressed in only his BDU, so all of his service patches will be visible. With armour on some of them are going to be hidden. I like the idea of having him in full gear, just like in the photo, but there are other options... Just thought I'd mention it.

Stendec
01-14-2008, 06:56 AM
Sourcing armor is the biggest challenge with this project. A EVA set would be the nicest option but they are very scarce Id imagine and even HT loose armor is becoming difficult to find.

I was thinking, and this is just an idea, that a few of us could throw in a few bucks each ($10 ??) into buying a set of armor, EVA if possible but its unlikely so maybe a HT set off ebay. In my opinion we really do need the body armor to make this figure as awesome as it can possibly be.

The AL Forum is back online now so there are lots of pics available there now of Chris and the guys in costume.

Hollis DZC
01-14-2008, 11:04 AM
Stendec contacted me about this thread. I had been toying with this idea as well.

Details-

Chris is about 5'8".
His helmet has a patch on it, I'll get a pic of it. A bullet hole "dent" is on the right front side. (as you look at him head on)

I have a complete EVA USCM kit I will donate to this project.
I have buckles for it too. I don't remember off hand if Chris had od webbing on the buckles. I believe they were black though.

He just made for DCon7 a nice leather Hicks shotgun holster. It would be nice if it could be made in scale leather as well. If I can get a scale pattern, I have a leather seamstress that could do it. Or, use the HT one.

He also carried a welder.

Who is going to assemble and paint in Chris's pattern the armor? PM me the addy to send the kit to.

I'll provide as many reference pics as I can.

I've known Chris a long time, and am proud to have served with him in the Colonial Marines.

The Colonial Marines- DCon07
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-11/63941/DconColonialMarinesgathering.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-11/63941/DConColonialMarinebuds.jpg
-Rex Adams
Hollis DZC -The Aliens Legacy

tigerfeet
01-14-2008, 03:25 PM
is there anybody else that produces custom armour ? outside of hot toys I had only came across this on Chris's website :-(

Mudshark
01-14-2008, 11:42 PM
Welcome, Hollis! Having members of the Aliens Legacy forum and personal friends of Chris join us is crucial to the success of this project. Thanks so much for coming on board. And your offer of the EVA USCM kit is most welcome.

I had a look at the many photos posted on the AL board last night and I noticed a lot of the details on his armour and uniform. I saw pics of his helmet, with and without the cover on it, and noticed that ding you mentioned... looks like he also had a hole in his helmet cover over the ding... is that right?

There were also some good pics of his M41, which is something I personally would like to contribute to the project. I believe I can match the colors closely enough, but if there are any particular details, like things Chris may have added to personalize it, I'd really appreciate it if you'd send me a PM and let me know, at your convenience.

galactiboy
01-15-2008, 01:20 AM
What a great project, I would be happy to contribute some funds for the plaque.

Stendec
01-15-2008, 07:00 AM
Glad you could make it here Hollis, welcome aboard :)

It's a very kind gesture to donate a complete Rifleman Kit to this project . .thanks man! Using one of Chris' own sets will make all the difference in my opinion.

Do you know if Chris used the screen-used Humbrol paints on his armor? If so I can try to get hold of all the paints here in the UK and ship them over to whoever is painting the kit. Some of the numbers might be discontinued now but I'l have a good look a round.

Les Walker
01-15-2008, 08:03 AM
This is really going well. I think any stuff armor wise should be considered for who is gonna age and score them. Is that gonna be DA or even you Stendec? You can sue age CM armor! I have seen that! :D

I only have time for the head and base. GB, I will let all of you know about the base, when we know about the dogtag source. Not sure yet what to do until I know. We may still get a regular engraved plaque too.

Looking for a head, but not sure yet. Any news on that?

Great stuff so far. Let's settle the source stuff so we can finalize the list.
Thanks for all the input and offered parts guys. So far, so good!

Note: We need links and pics here if we can.

Hollis DZC
01-15-2008, 08:24 AM
Thanks for the welcome guys!

Chris's PR was painted Brown Bess- A color that I think is now only available in the UK and Canada.

His helmet hole "dent" does have a hole through the cover as well.

His armor was painted w/ the screen used Humbrol paints, that you can be assured of! :) :)

His helmet was painted in 05. He since then went to a helmet cover. DCon 06 he had a patch over it, I think it was one of the Pilot patches, as he had a dropship outfit as well, but I'm not positive. DCon 07 he removed the patch and went with some lettering that I'm not sure of. I've looked through all the pics I uploaded to my photo host site, not many, about 12 of 311 taken at DCon 07, I'll be going through those and seeing if I have a good shot of his helmet. Don't know for sure, but maybe. If not, I'll work on finding out what he wrote on it.

I'm personally looking for a PR and Helmet w/ cover for my own 1/6th project for Chris. The one w/ the helmet resting on the PR with a pair of boots. Any help on that would be much appreciated.

-Rex

Ironman1188
01-15-2008, 08:34 AM
Rex sent me some pix and I have begun the head search. I already have one in mind I think will work once Les puts his magic touch on it.
I also noticed that Chris uni looks pretty crisp and not all that weathered in most of the pix. Do we want to keep it that way? We would still need to customize the armor and helmet either way. He also wore shotgun shells strapped to his chest armor.
I'll try and post pix of the head as soon as I dig everything out.
More to come soon....

Stendec
01-15-2008, 08:46 AM
Yeah I noticed that Chris' BDUs were faded but not weathered down with any dirt, they looked quite clean and crisp. I will try to track down all the Humbrol numbers for the armor camoflague and I already have a tin of Bess Brown 170 for the pulse rifle.

Ironman1188
01-15-2008, 09:38 AM
Assuming that we're going with a more serious expression, which is not always as Chris seems to have been pictured, but is how most headsculpts are, these were my first 2 sculpts that came to mind
http://war-toys.com/figures/petersoldat/nudetn.jpg and Dragon Peck, which of course I can't find a pic of right now.
based on this photo:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/ironman1188/USCMChrisfigure01.jpg

Les Walker
01-15-2008, 01:40 PM
Those look good. The ref for the Dragon head looks fine. And that one shot of Chris himself is super.

And Rex, GLAD TO HAVE YOU ABOARD BRO! :rock Didn't mean to miss greeting you. Thanks for all your help. I wish I had known Chris better. At least we have a fighting chance of accuracy now. Cool stuff!

And food for thought...
Do we only want to make a figure based solely on what he looked like at shows, like DragonCon, or, are we free to put him in battle, with more wear, as if he were just coming out of a bughunt? :D DA Josh and I really wanted to weather him up more..put him on a cool base, maybe put an ALIEN head or spent Facehugger there he's vanquished.... Thoughts guys? This is a memorial figure...are we not free to embellish on him some? Put him in the heat of battle, or just after...I bet Chris would've liked that...
Just a thought... Do discuss...
I got no problem with what you guys wanna do...

Hollis DZC
01-15-2008, 02:05 PM
Hi Les,
Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm enjoying myself here tremendously!

At first thought, I too thought a "fresh out of bughunt" would be best...but, if we are to give it to Joy as a memorial of her husband, I'm wondering if a serious expression is what she'd most want?

It's a tough call. Could go either way.

And, most figure sculpts rarely have a smile... :D

Is there a "in-between?"

Hollis DZC
01-15-2008, 02:21 PM
What type of base? What about one w/ a back and at least one side? Something like the interior of the corridors where the Marines were fighting?

Les Walker
01-15-2008, 05:27 PM
http://war-toys.com/figures/petersoldat/nudetn.jpg

That head above could be worked into a smile. More than a Mona Lisa, less than a broad one...

As for a true base, with sides like for a scene, that is more than I can do right now, but I am for one if you guys wanna go that route. I was thinking simpler varnished wooden base, with maybe some groundwork added, and a plaque, but if you have better ideas, and can make one, I have no objections. Guys? any comments?

Faschist Hippy
01-15-2008, 05:31 PM
Im not quite sure how to put this but i think what all you guys r doing is an amazing gesture! a fitting tribute to a truely great man.

to the family - you will be in my prayers and i think its a good time to remind everybody not only is it a time to mourn but a time to celebrate the life of a great man and all he did on this earth.

i didnt feel right posting this sooner as i havent had much dealings with chris and being the new kid on the forum didnt want to cause offence.

i only wish i could donate to the figure but sadly i have nothing to contribute other than praise and best wishes.

Andy
:peace

Hollis DZC
01-15-2008, 07:04 PM
http://war-toys.com/figures/petersoldat/nudetn.jpg

That head above could be worked into a smile. More than a Mona Lisa, less than a broad one...

As for a true base, with sides like for a scene, that is more than I can do right now, but I am for one if you guys wanna go that route. I was thinking simpler varnished wooden base, with maybe some groundwork added, and a plaque, but if you have better ideas, and can make one, I have no objections. Guys? any comments?

Sounds really good Les! I talked with Derek USCM about the project, and he thought it was an outstanding idea! :D

I asked him about the facial expression, and he wholeheartedly said "The smile". He said Joy had told him just yesterday that so many people have told her that Chris's smile is what they remember most. (in addition to his kindness and generosity).

Perhaps to please everyone, two heads could be done? One for smiles and one for stern action?

I don't know if this fits into your work load, but just thought I'd throw it out there.

As for the base, whatever you guys want to do is fine by me! I'll work up some ideas, see what you guys think...but it's all good! The entire project looks geared to bring a nice smile to Joy's face.

:)

-Rex

drbrad1975
01-15-2008, 07:19 PM
Let me know which pieces you want me to acquire. I would love to help. I just need to know what to buy. I met Chris at Dragon Con, and he was really the nicest guy. Please let me know what I can do to be of some help.

Brad

Ironman1188
01-15-2008, 08:48 PM
Les, if you think the head I posted will work with a little hair fixing and a bit of a smile, I will get him off to you by the weekend.
Perhaps a "compromise" of sorts in terms of his uni will work best, adding a slight smile and a bit of grunginess? Kind of a half smile after a small bug hunt?
As for the base? How about a grated floor over the wood base and his info and USCM patch displayed on the side or towards the front of the base?

Hollis DZC
01-15-2008, 10:28 PM
Les, if you think the head I posted will work with a little hair fixing and a bit of a smile, I will get him off to you by the weekend.
Perhaps a "compromise" of sorts in terms of his uni will work best, adding a slight smile and a bit of grunginess? Kind of a half smile after a small bug hunt?
As for the base? How about a grated floor over the wood base and his info and USCM patch displayed on the side or towards the front of the base?

That sounds like a good idea! Chris was not a fan of freshly issued gear! "You need to weather up that armor there..." :cool:

I really like that base! Very cool. A small facehugger on the ground would be kewel...

Say, I was wondering...how best to convey to Joy how the figure is to be posed on the dio base? Include a pic? Leave it up to her? Build a stand, peg, etc. into the base for the figure to stand up straight? :confused:

-Rex

DarkArtist81
01-15-2008, 10:35 PM
I can definitely fade the clothing and give it small wear here and there, make it dirty in areas if he is to be "straight from a bug hunt"... whatever needs to be done.

As for pose, when it is assembled and finished we can always print out some pics and maybe make a card with all of the artist and contributor sigs on it. Would be a nice way to show we care and give her an idea of what the pose was when it was made and shots that were taken.

Mudshark
01-16-2008, 06:42 AM
I had a brief discussion with Stendec via PM yesterday about the armour. If nobody objects, I'd like to volunteer my services for assembling and putting the base camouflage pattern on the armour kit that Rex offered earlier. I was thinking that I could also do some of the basic weathering, then DA-Josh could weather the entire figure as one in the final step, for total continuity.

I have quite a few years of experience painting military AFVs and figures, so camo patterns is no problem. I also have a small supply of Humbrol enamels and a good source here for more, and Stendec said he could send me anything else I might need. He also told me he has a tin of Brown Bess No.107 that he'll let me borrow for the project.

Aside from the paint I would basically just need the pieces of armour to be painted and some good reference pics to work from. I'd also need to know exactly what figure body will be used, so I can assemble all of the armour pieces to fit it correctly. I have EVA BDUs and spare Hot Toys, Dragon, BBi, and various other figure bodies on hand for fitting purposes.

So far I've only offered to donate a couple of things to the project. I'd like to do more if possible, and prepping the armour kit is something I can do. If this idea is acceptable to the rest of you, please let me know. :D :cool:

Stendec
01-16-2008, 07:00 AM
You get my vote Mudshark!

I see there's been some discussion about the display base and I personaly like the metal grill idea, perhaps mounted on a heavy foundation material for stability. We could use those fishtank filters some of the guys here use though they should be painted gun metal or something to look nicer.

Hollis DZC
01-16-2008, 08:14 AM
I like the idea of a pic included, that's a good idea! A list of contributors is a must!! :D

Sooooon as we decide for sure for sure whose doing the armor, get me an addy and it's on it's way! :D :D

I've sent off a bunch of pics already, I can send them again if need be.

Fish tank filter? It sounds intriguing...got any pics of it in a display?

-Rex

DarkArtist81
01-16-2008, 08:25 AM
That is a perfect idea Mudshark! I know I couldn't paint the armor myself, and I don't have any of the requisite colors... So that help is mucho appreciated. As for the total weathering, I will definitely bring my A game. I have lots of ideas, wanting to improve my technique there... make it worthy of Chris.

Ironman1188
01-16-2008, 09:37 AM
Mudshark, I would lean towards the Dragon body as that is what the base head is.
Les, do you want me to send the head or head and body, it doesn't matter to me.
DA, I'll get the accessories[shotgun/sheath, hasp & lock, knife, etc] off to you as soon as I can. I'll send the uni and patches too and you can "dirty" them up together.
As for the base...
If we go with the floor grating idea, that can be either plastic or metal depending on what grating can be found that best represents it. For posing and, to some degree, stability a rod or dowel could be drilled thru the base and into one leg. It would mean one foot is always going to be in one spot but the "pose" could be altered as seen fit. This would also help keep Chris from falling off the base at any time.

Hollis DZC
01-16-2008, 10:11 AM
Sounds like we have a plan!

Mudshark, could you please PM me your addy?

Thanks!

-Rex

tigerfeet
01-16-2008, 12:00 PM
guys, with the talent involved on this project this is going to be one excellent:D item......

Les Walker
01-16-2008, 01:46 PM
This is going great. I am so honored to be a part of this.

Ironman, SEND THE HEAD! I will do what I can with it asap.

I am for whatever body we need, but that needs to be decided so I can work the neck to fit whatever proper one we do. I say, go with the one, the smiling one. Unless we get a spare adapter (ie., HT body neck adapter B, like on Hicks/Hudson etc...) Just let me know the body.

As for a base, I was just thinking it might have the standard HT style neck and waist holder, but if anyone wants another means of holding him to it, let me know, as most styles of base holders can be adapted to a nice wooden base. AND, yes, the fish grate can be attached strategically to that, and weathered to look like a proper ALIENS environment floor (I can even add Alien slimey tendrils and donate a spare Facehugger to it) so that can work.
If anyone has the grating, send it to me. I can do the rest. I can make the base without the figure, and paint the head without the body or the rest. So, all I need is to go get the base and show you what I get.

The headsculpt, once received from Ironman, I can work on as I go, and post pics for comments and possibly cast and paint it after.

Just know, for now, I only want to make and paint the one for this project only for now. Just letting anyone know I am open to heads later. When all this is over, we can work out this stuff if need be. That is best solved later.

Anyway, as for the rest, you guys GO! This sounds great! Thanks so much guys. I am just stunned at the outpouring for this.
So, anyone wanna make a temp list of where we stand? I am not sure what all is correct. :D

COPY THIS AREA-
I know this much (copy and add your other contributions to this list please):

Les- headsculpt adaptation and paintup (and neck prep), plus wood base and eventual buildup and paintup. possibly plaque or other nameplate gathering?

DA Josh- BDU paintup as well as overall project dirtyin' once completed.

Ironman- provide head and...(add)

Hollis DZC- Armor (and)

Mudshark- all Armor prep and paintup as well as (add)

Stendec- (add your contribution)

Anyone else that needs to be listed...

Any financial assistance from:
(add your names here and what you can help with)

Any one else (project cheerleaders and idea providers accepted! :D )
List here

Anything we haven't thought of

COPY ENDS-

Now, take the above and copy and add your contributions, and I will redo the list on Post #1 with them as it grows.

Thanks guys. This is great.

tigerfeet
01-16-2008, 02:57 PM
Les, I'm happy to fund the base. I dealt with Chris over the last 3 months and was bowled over with his passion and friendliness so would like to help/contribute as long as people don't mind. I'm over in the uk so happy to paypal to you or whoever is preparing.

I know people have talked about doing more customs of Chris for their collection but there will only be one Chris for me, so lets make this custom a real unique master piece.

tigerfeet
01-16-2008, 02:58 PM
I know this much (copy and add your other contributions to this list please):

Les- headsculpt adaptation and paintup (and neck prep), plus wood base and eventual buildup and paintup. possibly plaque or other nameplate gathering?

Hollis DZC- Armor (and)

Stendec- (add your contribution)

tigerfeet - base/plaque costs

Any one else (project cheerleaders and idea providers accepted! )
List here

Anything we haven't thought of

Les Walker
01-16-2008, 04:27 PM
Thanks Tigerfeet. Will keep you informed.
Thanks for the update. You other guys accurize your contributions as needed.

Ironman1188
01-16-2008, 10:37 PM
I've got the uni, knife, hasp & lock, EVA shotgun/sheath and patches ready to go. DA, I'll sent that all to you and you can weatherize it all together? I forgot to ask also, will you be able to paint the shotgun/sheath? I just assumed and we all know how bad that can be. LMK.
Thanks guys for helping to pull this off!!

Stendec
01-17-2008, 03:59 PM
(copy and add your other contributions to this list please):

Hollis DZC- Armor (and)

Stendec- Cloth Boots; Fabric for helmet cover; Grenades, pistol+holster and utility pouches if needed.

Ironman1188
01-17-2008, 10:23 PM

Ironman- provide head and uni, knife, hasp & lock, EVA shotgun/sheath and patches

Hollis DZC- Armor (and)

Stendec- Cloth Boots; Fabric for helmet cover; Grenades, pistol+holster and utility pouches if needed.

Les Walker
01-18-2008, 10:18 AM
List is looking good guys. THanks for keeping it up.

tigerfeet
01-19-2008, 02:46 AM
i have a spare motion tracker as well so let me know who is assembling so I cab send a PM.

metaphorge
01-19-2008, 05:46 AM

Ironman- provide head and uni, knife, hasp & lock, EVA shotgun/sheath and patches

Hollis DZC- Armor (and)

tigerfeet, metaphorge - base/plaque costs

Mudshark
01-19-2008, 09:21 AM

Hollis DZC- Armor (and)

Mudshark- all Armor prep and paintup, as well as EVA M41-A PR... (still looking for the M10 Helmet kit I got from Chris last Spring...)

tigerfeet, metaphorge - base/plaque costs

Hollis DZC
01-19-2008, 10:15 AM
EVA M41-A PR[/COLOR]... (still looking for the M10 Helmet kit I got from Chris last Spring...)

Gotcha covered on that bro. The Rifleman kit comes with the helmet. It's got Chris's extras- real fastex buckles also. It has the welder, locator, everything. The correct od green webbing as well.

Since you have one of Chris's PR's, I'd like to keep the PR from the kit if that's okay. I'd like to have one of Chris's. :)

He included a cloth patch set as well.

Trying to get it out to you today :D

-Rex

Mudshark
01-19-2008, 11:09 AM
Gotcha covered on that bro. The Rifleman kit comes with the helmet. It's got Chris's extras- real fastex buckles also. It has the welder, locator, everything. The correct od green webbing as well.

Since you have one of Chris's PR's, I'd like to keep the PR from the kit if that's okay. I'd like to have one of Chris's. :)

He included a cloth patch set as well.

Trying to get it out to you today :D

-Rex

Thanks Rex, that's a big relief! I've been tearing the place apart looking for it. I moved a couple of months ago and it's probably in a box that hasn't been unpacked yet. By all means keep your PR kit. Fortunately, I have two of 'em, so I'll still have one to keep for myself, too. :duff

I was also thinking, since I'll be assembling and painting the armour, it would probably make things easier if I added the padlock and hasp, too. I do have a few spare Hot Toys versions, but if we're going to keep it all EVA, then I'll probably need to use the one Ironman's donating to the project.

Also, it doesn't look like anyone has donated a figure body yet, or maybe we still haven't decided on which one to use. I think Ironman said a DML body would probably work best. If we need one, I know a shop that always has a supply of parted out Dragon bodies on hand. Just thought I'd mention it.

One last thing, I signed up on the AL forum the other day, something I've been wanting to do for quite a while. Haven't had a chance to post an introduction yet, but I did find Chris's "Just a Grunt" website with all the great pics of his armour and how he made it. Got a lot of invaluable reference material right there, maybe all I'll need for his armour and helmet.

Les Walker
01-19-2008, 11:28 AM
Links! Links!
And pics if possible.

And keep the list going if we can.
Thanks guys. Thanks for taking the lead on this.
No head yet, but when I have it, I will inform all.
I will go after the base when we are more inprog than now. I want to talk that out more before committing time to researching it. When I do go, I will get cost estimates for you guys offering to pay for it. Thanks guys.

Ironman1188
01-19-2008, 11:46 AM
Les, I went thru all my bins and could not find the Peter Soldat head. So, I ordered one and I will send it out to you as soon as I receive it.
DA, The uni, patches, etc will go out Tues. I wound up on a bonding trip this morning with my son [we went to see Cloverfield] and the PO is closed on Monday.

Hollis DZC
01-21-2008, 12:51 PM
Very cool Mudshark! Since Chris was a smaller guy, I was going to suggest the shorter DML body.

Box is packed up ready to go. Wasn't able to get it out Sat, thought I'd do it on Monday on my lunch...not thinkin' the PO would be closed...aagh!
Will get it out to you Tues.

Glad to see you've signed up on the forum! I think you'll enjoy it!

btw, take a moment or three or four and check out my DragonCon pics... ;) I think you'll like 'em! :D
You'll see all the fun we have at DCon!

Also glad you had a chance to check out Chris's site. Perfect research for his armor! Don't know why the heck I didn't suggest it!! Sheesh!

-Rex

Les Walker
01-22-2008, 11:22 AM
No panic about the head Ironman, but let me know when you have it and it's sent.
And if anyone, Hollis, has more pics of Chris' face, send them to me directly via email if need be, so I can study him.

I still hope to get the base, but if anyone else is hellbent on making one, and doesn't want to wait for me to get to it (workload) say so, and I will relinquish that to the more opportune soul here. No worries. I really want to paint and or redo the face and head, and that may be all I have time to do. But, if no one else can get the base, I still can. Just want to open it up to others that may have ideas is all.

Keeping it going...

Hollis DZC
01-22-2008, 06:53 PM
I can get as many pics of Chris as you'll need Les! :D Be happy too!

If you could PM me your addy, I'll start on it...

I'd also be happy to work on the base, if that's okay.

-Rex

Les Walker
01-22-2008, 07:16 PM
I can get as many pics of Chris as you'll need Les! :D Be happy too!

If you could PM me your addy, I'll start on it...

I'd also be happy to work on the base, if that's okay.

-Rex

Good enough with me. Whatever works out best for the figure.

I talked to DA Josh today, and he and I discussed our parts in this, and he is looking forward to any dirtying of BDU's and anything else he can do. As for myself, I am looking forward to the head and what I can do there. I'm sure he'll chime in again soon.

I may have started this thread, but realize I may not be the person to coordinate all this, but it seems to be going well, and we are gathering and getting to it with super enthusiasm, so whoever puts this figure together in it's final form, know that I will do my part and get it to whomever needs it.
Honored to be a part of it.

Anyway, PM sent Hollis, and I await your images. When I get the base head, I will update as I can on the changes and paintup.

Keeping it going...

Stendec
01-23-2008, 12:25 PM
An idea I had for a nice figure base is a round piece of slate with the USCM Delta engraved and/or painted onto the surface. This is the Delta design I'm refering to.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s217/eifion_evans/badge1.jpg

Its just an idea though because it would probably be abit expensive . . just throwing it out there :)

Hollis DZC
01-24-2008, 08:13 AM
Good idea too Stendec!

What I was planning on doing is:

Get black picture frame that has rounded edges- got it.

Cut MDF board to become new base inside frame.

Build a corner wall. Sci-fi-ish, w/ tubes, etc. Behind Chris would be a slightly ajar bulkhead door symbolizing a beginning of a journey.
Flooring would be a type of grid.

The whole image would be putting Chris in an enviroment that he loved. I would like to incorporate both the Screaming Eagle and Delta pins on either side of a plaque with Chris's name and USCM Service #. I have extra Delta symbols, but not the Screaming Eagle pin. Anyone?

Chris was cremated wearing his USCM bdu's. Joy knows how much he loved the Colonial Marines. I'd like to think this display will be something special for her.

What do you all think?

-Rex

tigerfeet
01-24-2008, 11:06 AM
That sounds spot on, a real unique item..........as mentioed before happy to fund the costs for base and plaque....being in the uk probably the best way to contribute.

tigerfeet
01-24-2008, 11:08 AM
was also thinking do you think there is any merit in getting hold of the stunning lamps and motion tracker with a mod done by Hurricane ? adding that lighting to the figure would just be awesome ? what do people think....

Ironman1188
01-28-2008, 08:08 AM
First of all - BUMP - because this thread needs to stay in the forefront [at least] until the figure is completed.
Secondly, the head is on its way to you Les and the rest of the uni, etc is on its way to you Josh.
Sorry for the delays, let's get back on track grunts!! :monkey3

icruise
01-28-2008, 08:17 AM
was also thinking do you think there is any merit in getting hold of the stunning lamps and motion tracker with a mod done by Hurricane ? adding that lighting to the figure would just be awesome ? what do people think....

I have the feeling that adding lighting would just add extra cost and time to the project. The purpose isn't to make the ultimate marine figure, but rather to make one that would be a fitting tribute to the man.

Hollis DZC
01-28-2008, 12:18 PM
Chris wore a helmet cover also. For 05 he had a painted helmet, but for 06 and 07 he had a helmet cover. As I understand it, as soon as MAA had the helmet covers available, Chris got one.

Does anyone have a cover they could donate? If not, perhaps a shirt that could be converted?

-Rex

Stendec
01-28-2008, 01:03 PM
I have a swatch of bdu fabric for making a cover, bought from Chris that I have offered to this project. I dont have the skills to actually make the cover though.

Hollis DZC
01-28-2008, 03:50 PM
I have a swatch of bdu fabric for making a cover, bought from Chris that I have offered to this project. I dont have the skills to actually make the cover though.

Right on bro! I couldn't remember for sure, and I must confess I didn't look back at the posts...

How I made one for a Vic Morrow from Combat, was take the fabric, cut it in two equal sections. If one has sewing skills, just sew 'em back together.This will give you the correct "look". I don't (Yet, I still say!) so I laid a thin bead of Fabri-Tac glue to join the two pieces.
I then just pulled it as tight as I could over the helmet and glued it to the inside of the helmet, then put the liner back in. Worked out fine. Took about 15 min.

-Rex

Les Walker
01-28-2008, 05:16 PM
I understand the head is on it's way! :rock Thanks Ironman!
I will keep you guys updated on my progress as I can. Thanks Hollis for the pics. I will do my best with this.

Mudshark
01-28-2008, 10:16 PM

I'll send a PM soon in regard to the helmet cover and the Humbrol paints we discussed earlier. Since I'll be assembling and painting the rest of the helmet I might as well do the cover too, if that's cool. Please give me a day or two to get that PM to you. Thanks! :D

Right on bro! I couldn't remember for sure, and I must confess I didn't look back at the posts...

How I made one for a Vic Morrow from Combat, was take the fabric, cut it in two equal sections. If one has sewing skills, just sew 'em back together.This will give you the correct "look". I don't (Yet, I still say!) so I laid a thin bead of Fabri-Tac glue to join the two pieces.
I then just pulled it as tight as I could over the helmet and glued it to the inside of the helmet, then put the liner back in. Worked out fine. Took about 15 min.

-Rex

Just wanted to let you know the USCM Rifleman kit arrived safely and I've been going over the instructions. Thanks for getting it sent out so quickly! I'll be extra busy at work the next couple of weeks, but after that things will quiet down for a while, so I can start prepping the kit for assembly. As for the painting, I still have a few things to track down first. I'll begin gathering everything I need over the few weeks so it'll all be on hand when I start building the kit.

Btw, I can make a cover for the helmet if Stendec can send me his piece of camo cloth. I discussed this very issue with Chris last year and he suggested gluing it onto the helmet w/white glue to give it a nice snug fit. I think that would probably look best, and I can add the bullet hole, just like Chris had in his cover, if everyone else agrees.

I'll send a PM soon in regard to the kit itself, with a few questions about the gear Chris wore, so we can discuss what exactly should be included on the final figure. I'll do my best to get a message to you by the end of the week. :D

P.S. Did that Sgt. Saunders figure you made the cover for happen to be the one Dragon made a few years ago? That's still one of my favorites! :cool:

Hollis DZC
01-29-2008, 07:44 AM
Just wanted to let you know the USCM Rifleman kit arrived safely and I've been going over the instructions. Thanks for getting it sent out so quickly! I'll be extra busy at work the next couple of weeks, but after that things will quiet down for a while, so I can start prepping the kit for assembly. As for the painting, I still have a few things to track down first. I'll begin gathering everything I need over the few weeks so it'll all be on hand when I start building the kit.

Wow! That sure did get there quick!! Cool!

Btw, I can make a cover for the helmet if Stendec can send me his piece of camo cloth. I discussed this very issue with Chris last year and he suggested gluing it onto the helmet w/white glue to give it a nice snug fit. I think that would probably look best, and I can add the bullet hole, just like Chris had in his cover, if everyone else agrees.

Sounds good to me! :D

I'll send a PM soon in regard to the kit itself, with a few questions about the gear Chris wore, so we can discuss what exactly should be included on the final figure. I'll do my best to get a message to you by the end of the week. :D

Sounds good bro, sounds very good!

P.S. Did that Sgt. Saunders figure you made the cover for happen to be the one Dragon made a few years ago? That's still one of my favorites! :cool:

Yes indeed it was! I really like him too. I changed him just a bit from his "Hollywood" Combat look. Not too much, gave him Thompson ammo pouches and suspenders. Much better! :)

-Rex

metaphorge
01-29-2008, 04:22 PM
It sounds like you've got the helmet cover, erm, covered, but if making one from scratch proves to be too much, I have a HT spare....

Mudshark
01-30-2008, 04:33 AM
The offer is much appreciated! The HT covers are constructed differently from the ones worn in the movie, which were sew from two pieces of cloth, with only one seam running front to back, like the ones worn in Nam. I don't think it'll be too tough a job, even with my rather limited sewing skills, but if I get stuck I'll definitely keep your offer in mind! :D :cool:

Stendec
01-30-2008, 06:32 AM
Hey Mudshark, I've got a Vietnam era helmet cover from a Dragon figure with the correct one-seam, I can send out with the other stuff to use as reference for making a new one with the bdu cloth.

Hell you can just use this cover if you want, just that the camo pattern is different and it has a peace sing on the side, its up to you guys.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s217/eifion_evans/helemt_cover.jpg

Hollis DZC
01-30-2008, 08:39 AM
Good cover reference, but Chris had the USCM camo pattern, probably be best to stick to that bro. The bullet "dent", I still have yet to find what he wrote on the one side too. In 06' he had a patch there, and removed it for 07, meant to ask him too...

Stendec
01-30-2008, 08:58 AM
I agree with you, best stick with the USCM pattern. The cloth will need to be treated to mute the colours in order to look accurate though. This is a (lame) comparison pic of how my EVA bdus looked before and after I stained them with paint to fade.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s217/eifion_evans/bdu_comparison.jpg

The camo cloth I have for the helmet cover looks pretty much like the left untreated version now.

Mudshark
01-31-2008, 03:44 AM
Hey Mudshark, I've got a Vietnam era helmet cover from a Dragon figure with the correct one-seam, I can send out with the other stuff to use as reference for making a new one with the bdu cloth.

Hell you can just use this cover if you want, just that the camo pattern is different and it has a peace sing on the side, its up to you guys.

Good cover reference, but Chris had the USCM camo pattern, probably be best to stick to that bro. The bullet "dent", I still have yet to find what he wrote on the one side too. In 06' he had a patch there, and removed it for 07, meant to ask him too...

Thanks guys, for the kind offers regarding the helmet cover! As a matter of fact, I happen to have a real Vietnam era camo cover on hand for construction reference, in addition to some good clips from the movie itself. Better yet, I found what I believe is a pic of the actual USCM camo cover Chris wore, complete with bullet hole and personal graffiti... which is actually a quote from the movie. Can anyone guess what it is? Here's a hint... it's one of Hudson's classic wise cracks (what else?). Just think, which quip do you suppose Chris would've put on his helmet cover? You probably know already! :monkey1

Hollis DZC
01-31-2008, 08:13 AM
Oh god, I should know this! :confused:

Alright, memory locked up. Pushups beginning now! :D

Mudshark
01-31-2008, 08:31 AM
Oh god, I should know this! :confused:
Alright, memory locked up. Pushups beginning now! :D

Lissen up troop! While yer down on the deck in the leanin' rest... here's one more hint to help jog yer memory... it was something he said before the combat drop. 'Nuff said! :D

Stendec
01-31-2008, 08:34 AM
I'l guess . . "how do I get outta this chicken **** outfit?" lol

On the Aliens imdb board people always complain about Hudson being an annoyance . .I think he is an absolute classic character and my fav in the movie.

Mudshark
01-31-2008, 08:48 AM
I'l guess . . "how do I get outta this chicken **** outfit?" lol

On the Aliens imdb board people always complain about Hudson being an annoyance . .I think he is an absolute classic character and my fav in the movie.

And we have.... the WINNAH!
:fireworks:fireworks:fireworks

"Sir...?"
"What is it... private?"

"How do I get outta this chicken**** outfit?"

(Classic Hudson. What else could it have possibly been?)

Stendec
01-31-2008, 09:00 AM
Hey cool :chew:chew:chew

I wouldnt fancy trying to write that on the helmet cover at such a small scale though lol I had a hard enough time wiht the calander on Hudsons helmet.

Mudshark
01-31-2008, 09:08 AM
Hey cool :chew:chew:chew

I wouldnt fancy trying to write that on the helmet cover at such a small scale though lol I had a hard enough time wiht the calander on Hudsons helmet.

I hear that! It is quite small indeed, but I'll give it my very best shot. And I'll be sending that PM I mentioned earlier regarding the cover and paints in the next couple of days. Big day tomorrow, so gotta catch some ZZZ now.
Mudshark out!

Les Walker
02-01-2008, 12:36 PM
Got the base head from Ironman today! :rock
Gimme a few days to get to it, as I have a ton of other work to get finished first, but with our schedule, I bet I have time.
I will post pics as I can. This base head is not bad at all, Steve! Good job picking one out.

Oh, if I am molding and casting this head (once finished) for anyone else to get, I will need to get some $$ in contributions for any mold/cast materials I use on it, otherwise, he's free as far as I am concerned. Oh, shipping fees to whomever of course. But no real fee from my end (unless you want him painted...). Just production & shipping costs for unpainted heads. (hopefully, LATER too...too much work to do to make too many right now, but I can make some later on, for the interested.)

I will freely ship the finished painted one to whomever gets it to use on the "official" memorial figure. That's on me, as is my paint of course. :rock

Mudshark
02-01-2008, 11:01 PM
That's cool Les! Can't wait to see what the choice of heads looks like. I'm sure some of us will be wanting to make our own figures of Chris once the main project is done. I think there's still plenty of time to work all that out, but I'm definitely interested.

I also have a ton of stuff to do over the next several weeks, but I'm anxious to get started on the armour assembly and painting. Still need to contact Stendec about the paints and helmet cover, but I'll get on that later today or tomorrow. Thanks for the update, bro. Looking forward to those pics! :cool:

JediMike71
02-02-2008, 05:09 PM
Got the base head from Ironman today! :rock
Gimme a few days to get to it, as I have a ton of other work to get finished first, but with our schedule, I bet I have time.
I will post pics as I can. This base head is not bad at all, Steve! Good job picking one out.

Oh, if I am molding and casting this head (once finished) for anyone else to get, I will need to get some $$ in contributions for any mold/cast materials I use on it, otherwise, he's free as far as I am concerned. Oh, shipping fees to whomever of course. But no real fee from my end (unless you want him painted...). Just production & shipping costs for unpainted heads. (hopefully, LATER too...too much work to do to make too many right now, but I can make some later on, for the interested.)

I will freely ship the finished painted one to whomever gets it to use on the "official" memorial figure. That's on me, as is my paint of course. :rock

Please count me in on one painted Chris Chulamanis USCM custom head Les! I want to get the "official" memorial figure of Chris. I'm so glad I got to talk to him in e-mails and get to know him some as a person. Thanks Les! :D

tigerfeet
02-03-2008, 05:36 PM
well yesterday was a sad day, the shipment from Chris came through .....although I was happy to see the items I purchased...plus a few that Chris had thrown in as well....it was sad as I knew I could not thank him for some great products....

So guys let me know when you need the funds for the stand/plaque and how best to get the money to you.

tigerfeet
02-08-2008, 11:05 AM
a bump up from page 3...................

Les Walker
02-08-2008, 07:41 PM
Thanks Tigerfeet.
I hope to get to the head redo soon. Still buried in paints, and there is no rush as so much other stuff is going on, but I will try to have some images from my end as soon as I can.

Chris stays on Page one! :rock

tigerfeet
02-16-2008, 07:31 AM
so guys apart from bring this thread back from the brink do we believe we have everything we need for this project now ?

Ironman1188
02-16-2008, 07:32 AM
Yeah, can we at least get this thread "stickied" till the completion of the figure?

Les Walker
02-16-2008, 09:28 AM
Yeah, can we at least get this thread "stickied" till the completion of the figure?

That would be a nice gesture. Not like it's gonna be on here as active as some threads. :D
Once the figure's done that is.

tigerfeet
02-25-2008, 04:51 PM
sticky bump

moxie
03-04-2008, 06:23 PM
Bippety Boppety Bump

uscmhicks
03-05-2008, 06:14 AM
bump* :rolleyes:

Ironman1188
03-05-2008, 07:19 AM
Well, apparently we aren't getting this stickied. Does anyone have any updates on this project?

royasave33
03-05-2008, 09:34 AM
bump this to the top

Hollis DZC
03-05-2008, 10:16 AM
As for my part on the base, I keep going round and round with what I want.

Thinking of how best to display the figure, and make it easy for Joy to do so.

That's the tricky part!

tigerfeet
03-23-2008, 03:42 AM
thought it best to recover from page !!!!!!! :monkey2

Are there any updates from out there....?

Predatortje
03-24-2008, 06:05 AM
nice outfit!

Les Walker
03-24-2008, 01:09 PM
I am still working on the head, so bear with me guys. With all else I have to do this week, he's in there, just not done yet. When I get him finished, I may just send him on to whoever is putting the figure together, and let someone else mold and cast him if they so desire. I just don't have time to do that.
My main objective is the get the head reworked and painted. So, that is the best I can do.

Coming soon though, I promise!

JediMike71
03-25-2008, 06:26 PM
I'll be happy when I get to see the Chris head done by you Les! You know I want to get one someday. So, I'll keep track of it and try to get one from whomever ends up casting it. Thanks again! :D

uscmhicks
03-30-2008, 10:13 AM
yeah I would love to get one of these. Although I didn't know the guy he seemed like a great guy , I put a little cash in the fund when he was in hospital which probably went to the funeral arrangements if they never managed to get the floral gift. I definitely will be interested in this actually. Lets just hope my walet lets me take one !.

ProgMatinee
04-11-2008, 09:16 AM
I just stumbled on this thread because the name was vaguely familiar. I actually am from Parker, CO and met Chris in the mid 90s in the toy aisle of the Target in Parker where we talked for a while about 1/6 scale figures and various things, in which he told me he was working on various models including Aliens stuff. He gave me his business card and was really encouraging when I told him of some projects I wanted to do and gave me beginners advice for casting and stuff. I went on to see him occassionaly there. Back in the day, I was considering asking commissioning him to help with a Starship Trooper figure, but I was a poor college student at the time. Unfortunately, in the early 2000s I stopped collecting and lost touch of what he was doing. I am sad to see he has recently passed, but am glad to see he helped so many people really enjoy this hobby among other things.

RIP Chris.

Mudshark
04-11-2008, 09:44 AM
I haven't posted anything here for awhile, been very busy with another project that was ahead of this one. But I do expect to get started on the armour fairly soon. Got all the Humbrol paints I'll need for it except for the "Brown Bess". Haven't heard from Stendec lately either, but I imagine he's still looking in here from time to time. I guess now would be a good time to see about arranging to borrow a bit of that Humbrol No. 170 we talked about earlier. If you're reading this Brother Sten, give us a holler and I'll email you about it.

As soon as I'm actually ready to get start on the armour I'll post another update here for all concerned. Btw, have we definitely decided on what kind of figure body we're going to use for Chris? Reason I ask is 'cause I'll want to use the same kind of body to assemble and fit the armour properly. If anyone can let me know fairly soon, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks guys! :D

Les Walker
04-12-2008, 01:29 AM
I'd like to know the body also, as I have a nice Dragon head I am reworking soon for him, that was sent by Ironman. My guess is a Dragon, but let whoever needs to know, know. Hope all the others involved are still involved. This head stares at me daily from under my computer screen, so it's not like I will forget about it anytime soon.
We'll get him done! :rock

Ironman1188
04-12-2008, 08:21 AM
I don't know that it was ever formally decided who would assemble the finalized figure. As it was my idea in the beginning, I volunteer to try my hand at it. If someone has more experience or thinks they can do better justice to the end product just say so. There's no hard feelings here. The point of this whole project was to make it the best we could and, as far as I'm concerned that's still the goal.

Mudshark
04-13-2008, 02:56 AM
I guess we never formally decided who would assemble the final figure, but I just sort of assumed DA Josh might be the one to do it, since I believe he's got the weathering duties and will probably be one of the last people to handle the figure before it's finished. For the sake of continuity, it might be best if he put the whole figure together and added the final finishing touches, but it all depends on whether he has the time and inclination to do all that. Guess we'd better discuss this with everybody and work it out pretty soon.

Ironman1188 got this project started, so I think it'd be fitting if he were one to present the figure, on behalf of us all, when it's complete. If he wants to be the one to handle the final assembly, that's perfectly fine with me. I'll just need to know where to send the armour when it's finished. I was planning to do some of the basic weathering myself, then send it on to DA Josh for final finishing with the rest of the uniform & gear, but if anyone has a different or better idea, just let me know!

So it looks like we'll be using a Dragon figure body, is that right? Probably be best, since the head is also Dragon. I have lots of Dragon figures to work with, so if everyone's okay with that, I'll fit the armour on a Dragon body then.

Ironman1188
04-13-2008, 05:38 AM
I had forgotten about the continuity of the assembly process. To that end, if Josh has the time I agree that, as he's weathering the rest, it might be a good idea for him to put him together so that the "right" look is achieved.

Les Walker
04-13-2008, 07:23 AM
Then I'll send the reworked and painted head to him (or whoever it is we decide on) when he has the parts. Hope to get to it soon.

Hollis DZC
04-24-2008, 11:30 AM
Something else I don't think we finalized, was how we are going to present this to Joy Chulamanis. She is going to be at DragonCon, spending all day and the official USCM Colonial Marine dinner the Saturday of DCon.

Les, do you think you will still be able to make it to DCon?

The USCM will be presenting Joy with a plaque- it has a picture of Chris carrying the USCM flag in the parade last year, and signatures of his USCM brothers.

She will also be presented with a USCM flag.

Do we want to arrange to present the Memorial figure at DCon or do something else?

Do we just send it to her or...?

Back to you guys!

-Rex

tigerfeet
04-27-2008, 03:59 AM
Mudshark & Hollis.........do we have all of the items we need for the custom figure for Chris ? I have some accessories if required....PM if needed otherwise will be going on the for sale board later this eve.:o

Les Walker
04-27-2008, 04:01 AM
Man I wish! Not sure I can make DCon or not! I sure would love to though. I have a sister that lives in Atlanta, so staying somewhere is no problem, but the cost of the trip is (especially with gas what it is now!). Not sure about that one yet. I will see... I sure would love to be the one to give it to her though...but if not, I am sure we can work it out. I will try though. :rock

I will try to get the head done very soon. At least that will get done.

Keep it going guys! Let's not let this deadline get past us! She needs to get this figure that night!

Mudshark
04-27-2008, 11:14 AM
When exactly is the DragonCon? If there's any way possible I'll try to have the armour done in time, but it would be extremely helpful to know what sort of dealine we're facing here. I have all the colors I need for the camouflage, but I don't have the Humbrol Brown Bess No. 170 for the pulse rifle and motion tracker yet. I think I can match the color close enough if I have to, but some of the real stuff would be great. Btw, has anyone heard from Stendec lately?

tigerfeet
04-27-2008, 11:17 AM
Last time I heard from him was back in Feb :huh

I think he was about to go on holiday though......

Hollis DZC
04-28-2008, 11:22 AM
Dragoncon is Labor Day weekend, end of August- It's Saturday evening that we are having the dinner.

Hope you can make it Les!

Mudshark, I can send you my tin of Brown Bess, PM me your addy bro!

As far as gear is concerned, I'm going off memory here-

Chris's EVA kit included all the armor, helmet and bits, buckles etc. I think it had bdu's? Another buddy of Chris's just sent me a camo helmet cover-

What about the patch on Chris's helmet? If no-one has one, I think I do. Dcon 06 and earlier he had the patch, Dcon 07 he had some writing, plus the "dent" in the helmet front. I thought to combine the patch and dent?

I think we need a nice set of Nam jungle boots-

Green elastic for the grenade loops, green for the belt, harness and slings.

Anything else? Did I miss anything?

-Rex

tigerfeet
04-28-2008, 11:24 AM
Shipment of bits will be going end of the week :banana have discussed with mudshark so all sorted -- Ta...

Mudshark
04-29-2008, 03:40 AM
Dragoncon is Labor Day weekend, end of August- It's Saturday evening that we are having the dinner.

Hope you can make it Les!

Mudshark, I can send you my tin of Brown Bess, PM me your addy bro!

As far as gear is concerned, I'm going off memory here-

Chris's EVA kit included all the armor, helmet and bits, buckles etc. I think it had bdu's? Another buddy of Chris's just sent me a camo helmet cover-

What about the patch on Chris's helmet? If no-one has one, I think I do. Dcon 06 and earlier he had the patch, Dcon 07 he had some writing, plus the "dent" in the helmet front. I thought to combine the patch and dent?

I think we need a nice set of Nam jungle boots-

Green elastic for the grenade loops, green for the belt, harness and slings.

Anything else? Did I miss anything?

-Rex

Thanks for the info and for offering to lend me your tin of Brown Bess! That takes care of the paint supply issue. You must've been reading my mind, 'cause I've been thinking it might be a good idea right about now to make up a complete checklist of everything we plan to include with the figure, along with the names of all the contributors and their contributions, to give us a better idea of what we already have and what may still be needed.

We should probably start by deciding on the version of Chris we indend to portray. From the photos I've seen, Chris wore quite a bit of personalized gear, in addition to his USCM issue uniform and equipment. I noticed extra pouches and a bandolier loaded with extra grenades, for example. The cover and patches you mentioned are another good example. We need to decide how the final figure is going to look.

Let's discuss it and figure out where we want to go, then put it all together in checklist form. Since Les already started a list on the first page of this thread, that would probably be the best place for it. As long as he doesn't mind updating it once in a while, that would make it easier to find quickly. Any comments or other suggestions, guys?

Hollis DZC
04-29-2008, 07:57 AM
Thanks for the info and for offering to lend me your tin of Brown Bess! That takes care of the paint supply issue. You must've been reading my mind, 'cause I've been thinking it might be a good idea right about now to make up a complete checklist of everything we plan to include with the figure, along with the names of all the contributors and their contributions, to give us a better idea of what we already have and what may still be needed.

We should probably start by deciding on the version of Chris we indend to portray. From the photos I've seen, Chris wore quite a bit of personalized gear, in addition to his USCM issue uniform and equipment. I noticed extra pouches and a bandolier loaded with extra grenades, for example. The cover and patches you mentioned are another good example. We need to decide how the final figure is going to look.

Let's discuss it and figure out where we want to go, then put it all together in checklist form. Since Les already started a list on the first page of this thread, that would probably be the best place for it. As long as he doesn't mind updating it once in a while, that would make it easier to find quickly. Any comments or other suggestions, guys?

Sounds like a great idea! Let's get this project back into high gear!

Eagle
05-02-2008, 04:15 PM
Amen to that - why isn't this on AL? :)

Les Walker
05-07-2008, 05:37 AM
Still working on the head. Progress as I have it.
Hope I can make it Hollis. Would be an honor to be there for sure.

Mudshark
05-07-2008, 12:05 PM
Looks like we're making progress, albeit a little slow at the moment. I've begun filling, sanding and prepping the armour. Expect to start assemby in near future. Also dressed a Dragon figure in EVA BDU for fitting it.

Sent Hollis a PM about the Brown Bess and still waiting for a reply. In the meantime, here's a makeshift checklist I put together. I'm not 100% on all of this, so please feel free to add to it, update it or give it whatever it needs.

Chris Chulamanis Memorial Figure Project - Item Checklist

Figure:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dragon Models - G2 body (Ironman1188)
Dragon Models - Head (Ironman1188)
* Painting: Les Walker

Uniform:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVA Models USCM Camo BDU Shirt/Trousers (Ironman1188)
* Weathering: DA Josh
Patches/Insignia: (HollisDZC: for helmet cover / Ironman1188: for uniform)
* Application: (DA Josh?)
Boots: Toy Soldier - Vietnam Jungle Boots w/Panama soles (DBoz)

Basic Equipment:
USCM Web Belt & Pouches (EVA Models: resin / Hot Toys: cloth) - (contributor?)
Portable Welder (EVA Models / Hot Toys) - (HollisDZC / tigerfeet)
Motion Tracker (EVA Models / Hot Toys) - (tigerfeet)
Belt Clip/Power Unit (Hot Toys) - (contributor?)
USCM Wristwatch/PDT (EVA / Hot Toys) - (HollisDZC)

Special Equipment:
Grenade Bandolier, Web, 12 loops w/plastic buckle - (custom?)
Shotgun Holster w/strap (Hicks type) - (Ironman1188?)
Electronic Bypass Kit Pouch (Hudson type) - (custom?)
PDT Locator (EVA Models) - (HollisDZC)
OG Utility Pouch (like first aid kit) - (custom?)

Body Armour:
Torso/Back, Groin and Greaves (EVA Models) - (HollisDZC)
Helmet & Camo Cover (EVA Models) - (HollisDZC)
Lamp Unit (EVA Models) - (HollisDZC)
* Assembly/Painting: Mudshark

Weapons:
M41A Pulse Rifle w/Sling - (Mudshark)
Shotgun - (contributor?)
Gerber Mk. II Combat Knife - (Ironman1188 or Mudshark)
M40 Grenades, HE (red cap) x 20 - (HollisDZC / tigerfeet/ more needed)
* Painting: Mudshark

Custom Base/Plaque:
Base construction - (HollisDZC) / donation offer - (tigerfeet)

tigerfeet
05-08-2008, 12:05 PM
i also stated that happy to fund the base/plaque of the fig so let me know if this is still required....great job though guys :rock

Hollis DZC
05-12-2008, 08:01 AM
Chris's helmet will need a cover- which has been donated by another of Chris's friends- Steve (menatarms @ SciFiMilitary) I'll forward it.

Patches- I'll send the helmet patch as well as all the uniform patches.

Base- I have the base frame done, need to find the aquarium filter for it, and begin building it up from there.

Aside from the bypass pouch which will need to be custom made, quite a bit of the "hard" gear is in the EVA kit. We could swap out the resin pouches for cloth ones, if anyone had any to donate. :D

Vietnam Jungle boots- fabric, lace ups, whose going to step up and donate a pair?

Ironman1188
05-12-2008, 08:07 AM
Patches- I'll send the helmet patch as well as all the uniform patches.

I've sent the uniform and a set of Chris' patches to Josh already. Figured that way they could get weathered together.

Hollis DZC
05-13-2008, 08:42 AM
I've sent the uniform and a set of Chris' patches to Josh already. Figured that way they could get weathered together.

Excellent!! Then I need to send the helmet cover to Josh. Josh, can you PM me your address?

-Rex

Mudshark
05-13-2008, 10:25 AM
Glad things are starting to move forward again. I've updated the checklist but there are still a few things we need to sort out. I just received the packet of spare gear from tigerfeet, including another set of eight M40 grenades, making a total of 16 that I have now. Still need another 4 grenades, but since it's so few, I'll just fabricate the rest from some round plastic stock on hand.

One other thing, if Josh will be detailing the helmet cover, then I don't think I need to paint any camo on the helmet, 'cause it isn't going to show. I'll still go ahead and paint everything that will show and leave the rest to him then. :cool:

I like the idea of using cloth pouches, but if we aren't able to locate any then I can go ahead and use the resin ammo pouches that came with the EVA kit. Looks like we still need some boots, pouches and a few other odds and ends, but we've already got a lot of the big stuff out of the way already. :rock

And lastly, when I was discussing helmet covers with Chris last year he suggested wetting the cloth and then gluing it down tight against the helmet with Elmer's glue. He said that method made for a nice snug fit that stayed put. You can also model wrinkles into it as you see fit. Anyway, I think it would be a nice gesture if we used his own method for attaching the cover on his helmet. What do you guys think of that idea?

tigerfeet
05-13-2008, 11:49 AM
sounds like a plan..........glad everything arrived ok :banana

I feel like we have made some great progress over the last couple of weeks.

Hollis DZC
05-14-2008, 01:36 PM
All in all, sounds like it's coming together!

Mudshark
05-15-2008, 04:32 AM
I just noticed that tigerfeet included a piece of helmet cover-sized camo cloth in the packet he sent me (thanks Martin!), so I think I'll just go ahead and do the cover myself. I probably have a wee bit more time on my hands than Josh does, so unless he really wants to do it himself, I'll take care of it and save him some time.

Stendec
05-16-2008, 08:26 AM
Its good to see this project is still on course. Ive been out of the loop for a while so I apologize for not being able I to contribute to this project, still if there is anything I can do to help let me know.

Mudshark
05-16-2008, 08:59 AM
Hey, buddy, great to have you back! Where you been keeping yourself? I was beginning to wonder if we were ever going to hear from you again! Seriously, though, your timing couldn't have been better. :D

Things are still moving forward and appear to be picking up momentum. There are still some things to do and items needed to complete the figure, so if there's anything you could provide, please let us know and I'll add your name to the list of contributors (see the updated checklist posted a page or two back). :cool:

It seems a lot of us have been busy with other things lately, but I'm sure this will all come together in the not too distant future. Look forward to hearing from you again soon! :duff

Stendec
05-16-2008, 09:42 AM
Hey Mudshark, its been a while buddy!

I sold off most of my USCM stuff a couple of months back so unfortunately I dont have much to offer that isnt already covered. Its good to see its all coming together though, I cant wait to see the finished piece. Im sure Chris would be very humbled by all your efforts.

customizerwannabe
05-17-2008, 11:33 PM
Instead of just giving the figure to "whomever is best to receive it"(Good luck figuring that out) wouldn't it be better to auction it and send the money to his family or a charity in his name?

Ironman1188
05-18-2008, 04:15 AM
Instead of just giving the figure to "whomever is best to receive it"(Good luck figuring that out) wouldn't it be better to auction it and send the money to his family or a charity in his name?

The idea behind this gesture was to give a "tribute" to Chris to his wife from us. It was never the intention to have to decide who it went to as it was always stated/understood who would receive it.

DBoz
05-18-2008, 05:27 AM
Vietnam Jungle boots- fabric, lace ups, whose going to step up and donate a pair?

If you guys still need a pair of Jungle boots, I'm in for supplying them. I have a question, though as there is not a 100% accurate 1/6 version. The Newline ones have the correct vibram sole, but do not have the drain grommets or the webbing on the side. ACE and Toy Soldier have good cloth jungle boots, but they have the Panama Style sole. Let me know which would be preferable and I'll get 'em.

customizerwannabe
05-18-2008, 07:02 AM
The idea behind this gesture was to give a "tribute" to Chris to his wife from us. It was never the intention to have to decide who it went to as it was always stated/understood who would receive it.

My bad. First post said this though.

"Together, we SSF members involved, are going to endeavor to work up a thorough and fitting tribute figure of Chris Chulamanis, worthy of his wonderful contributions to our field of Figure Customs, especially to the Colonial Marines figure making world, to be given to whomever is best to receive it, at a time when the figure is completed."

I haven't read every page since. Seems like a cool idea though.

Mudshark
05-18-2008, 09:58 AM
If you guys still need a pair of Jungle boots, I'm in for supplying them. I have a question, though as there is not a 100% accurate 1/6 version. The Newline ones have the correct vibram sole, but do not have the drain grommets or the webbing on the side. ACE and Toy Soldier have good cloth jungle boots, but they have the Panama Style sole. Let me know which would be preferable and I'll get 'em.

Anything you'd like to contribute would be greatly appreciated, DBoz! Remember that his leg armour will be covering most of the uppers, so if you can find something that matches the parts that show closely enough, that'd be great. I pulled this pic of Chris for your reference. This is probably the best pic I've been able to find where his boots are clearly visible. Hope this helps. :D

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w245/Mudshark_Album/chrischulamanis.jpg

DBoz
05-19-2008, 08:01 AM
From that picture, it looks like Chris' boots have the Panama style sole. I have a pair of Toy Soldier boots here that should fit the bill. Who should I send them to?

Hollis DZC
05-21-2008, 02:26 PM
I just noticed that tigerfeet included a piece of helmet cover-sized camo cloth in the packet he sent me (thanks Martin!), so I think I'll just go ahead and do the cover myself. I probably have a wee bit more time on my hands than Josh does, so unless he really wants to do it himself, I'll take care of it and save him some time.

Okay, we got that covered! :D

Bro, sorry it's taken me sooooo long to send out that tin of Brown Bess. Seems like I forget when I get home, I remember when I go to bed and then say to myself: "Gotta remember in the morning to get that tin out..."

That ain't working.:banghead

I'll write myself a note...:D

Mudshark
05-22-2008, 02:49 AM
Okay, we got that covered! :D

Bro, sorry it's taken me sooooo long to send out that tin of Brown Bess. Seems like I forget when I get home, I remember when I go to bed and then say to myself: "Gotta remember in the morning to get that tin out..."

That ain't working.:banghead

I'll write myself a note...:D

No worries, there's still plenty of time! I haven't even finished prepping the armor yet, but I hope to get back to it soon. Thanks for the heads up! :cool:

Ironman1188
06-13-2008, 02:20 PM
I know life has been dealing us all quite a few 1:1 setbacks, but is there any updates on this fine project?

sharpuscm
06-13-2008, 09:28 PM
If any of you are planning on recreating the flag he's holding, here's the artwork.

http://www.pbase.com/sharpuscm/image/42344447

Huggerkeeper
06-27-2008, 12:18 AM
WHAT??

I just saw this thread...I had NO Idea..Chris had passed.

Im sitting here, absolutely stunned.

I have unbuilt armor from his kits. I have no idea if anything is still needed....Please contact me if there is something missing.

Chris and I chatted quite a bit about resin kits, and I always valued his advice, and friendship.

Frank Cerney

Mudshark
06-27-2008, 09:16 AM
Very sorry to hear you've only now gotten the sad news. Quite a few other Aliens and USCM sites had tributes and memorials in his honor last winter.

Our memorial figure project has apparently hit another lull, but I think we now have most of the key pieces we need to complete the figure. There's a list of contributions and people who are working on various parts of the figure a few pages back in the thread.

I believe there were still a few items needed. If you'd really like to donate something, please have a look at the list and then post a reply. Thanks, and again, sorry you had to find out this way.

EDIT: Okay, I just reposted the list so you won't have to hunt for it. Items in red are what's still needed.

Mudshark
06-27-2008, 09:19 AM

Figure:

Uniform:

Basic Equipment:

Special Equipment:

Body Armour:

Weapons:
Shotgun - (contributor?)

Custom Base/Plaque:

Les Walker
06-27-2008, 12:21 PM
Good update. I am still working on my end. When I get the head done, I will post it. Who do I send it to when it's completed? Who is putting him together? (I doubt I can, or I would...but I may can go to DCon to be there when he is presented, provided we get him done in time....and I can get in the show... I can try, no guarantees...)

DBoz
06-29-2008, 06:24 AM
I'm still waiting to hear who I should send the boots to as well. I sent Josh a PM, but never got a reply.

Mudshark
06-29-2008, 08:54 AM
I'm still waiting to hear who I should send the boots to as well. I sent Josh a PM, but never got a reply.

Don't know what to say except hold tight for a bit. Looks like everyone's busy with other things at the moment. Hopefully we'll get everything worked out before long. Those boots will certainly be a welcome addition and you'll know who to send them to when things pick up again.

Les Walker
06-29-2008, 02:45 PM
Like I said, when the head gets done, I will post pics here, and it will be ready.
Not too long I hope.

Mudshark
06-30-2008, 11:26 PM
That's great, Les! I check your threads as often as possible and realize how busy you've been with everything. I've been kind of overloaded myself with more things than I can deal with coming at me all at once, so I think I have at least some idea what you've been going through lately. At the moment, I'm basically just running on fumes and toxic amounts of caffeine! :monkey4

The good news is that I'm gettin' the hell outta Dodge and heading back to the states in mid-July, for the whole summer!!! So if I can't finish the armour for Chris before I go, then I'll take it with me and work on it there, where I'll have nothing to do but sand and paint and play with all the swell toys waiting there for me. :D Anyway, it will get done!

And I'm really looking forward to seeing that portrait of Chris when you're finished with him!!! :cool:

Hollis DZC
07-06-2008, 08:58 PM
Okay, I'm back on track now. Sorry for the long time no around, but was dealing with having a gf, then not.:confused: And work put the clamp down on websurfing at work. the nerve,'eh?:banghead

Dru, got the tin of Brown Bess here, will send it out asap.

Working on my end for the base. Behind schedule, cut the side of my wrist in a fall, 20 stitches, looked like Frankenstein. Damn if it still don't hurt inside my hand, may have a broken bone. No, they didn't xray in ER.

Sharp, good to have you aboard bro!

-Rex

Mudshark
07-06-2008, 09:41 PM
Hey, buddy! It's good to hear from ya, I think we've all been wondering where you've been lately. Sorry to hear about the gf, and that nasty cut, tho! :monkey4

If the pain in your hand persists, I'd have it checked out... could be a broken bone in there, like you said. Hopefully it isn't, and the pain is only temporary. Anyway, I hope it isn't slowing you down too much, bro.

Speaking of slow..... not much time to work on the armour recently, but I expect that to change fairly soon. Got a couple more weeks of work and then I'm OUT OF HERE!!! The weather's already getting unbearable (for me)... high 80s and 80% humidity today! It's like a freakin' sauna! :google

Lookin' forward to another (dry) summer in CA, and having more time to devote to this project! I'll be watching the mail for the Brown Bess. Thanks again for letting me use it! :duff

Hollis DZC
07-12-2008, 08:38 AM
Hey bro, yeah, it's been a long slow recovery from getting dumped, but I'm back! You know, I meant to send the tin out this week, have it boxed and ready to go, but if you're going to be stateside this summer, do you want me to ship it to a addy here? LMK and I'll get it to whereever you want.

take care,

-Rex

Les Walker
08-05-2008, 05:30 AM
Trying like hell to get the head done for this. Is there any chance of the figure being ready by DragonCon? If not, I am gonna relax a bit. If so, we had all better step on it.
Just trying to see where we are. I hope to have some headwork to post very soon.

Ironman1188
08-05-2008, 06:05 AM
Be great if it could get done by then. Haven't heard mention of the painting/weathering of the uni/gear from Josh. Know everyone's been busy with tons of stuff this year, especially with the 1:1 rearing its ugly head more than once for some of us. Guess we just try and hope for the best.

Les Walker
08-12-2008, 11:36 AM
Just got off the phone with DA Josh. He is coming up for a visit this weekend, Friday the 15th through the 17th perhaps. I will make sure I have the head done by the time he gets here. IF, we want this figure where Rex can present it at DragonCon, then we need to get on it! I am prepared to do my part.
Maybe we can set it up where parts are sent to Josh, and he can put it together as much as possible, then send it to Rex to present? Is this a viable idea? Or is it too rushed? I hope it can be presented at DragonCon. I would love to be there, but I know Rex will be. So, I think it needs to end up in his hands. Any thoughts?

Just know, two of us will be in the same workspace for a couple of days this weekend. Josh will have the head in hand when he leaves. Maybe a body and the uniform and any armor can head this way for him to work on???

Just thoughts. Discuss. Let me know.

Trying to help.

Les

DBoz
08-12-2008, 12:37 PM
I got the boots sitting here. I just need an address to send them to.

Les Walker
08-12-2008, 12:50 PM
I got the boots sitting here. I just need an address to send them to.

PM sent!
It's a start! :rock

Be nice if the body and uniform at least were here when Josh was. Armor can come after to him directly if need be, or if it's ready, send it to me this week. Josh can then take it all with him to work on.

Ironman1188
08-12-2008, 08:47 PM
I sent him the uni and patches when I sent you the head.

Mudshark
08-13-2008, 03:50 PM
PM sent!
It's a start! :rock

Be nice if the body and uniform at least were here when Josh was. Armor can come after to him directly if need be, or if it's ready, send it to me this week. Josh can then take it all with him to work on.

Sorry Les, but the armour is still a ways away from being ready to go. It looks like I'll have to send it to Josh directly when it's finished...

I brought it along with the weapons and all the extra bits and pieces with me back to the states now, but unfortunately I had to leave my Humbrol paints behind due to airline regs about flammable materials... bummer! I'm hoping Rex knows where I can pick up some Humbrols paints nearby (and soon!)... if not, then I may just have to go with acrylics instead. Probably not a huge problem, but I was planning to use the same camo colors and patterns that Chris used on his own set of armour, as much as possible anyway.

With DCon rapidly approaching I'm beginning to wonder if this is all gonna come together in time... It would be great if the figure could be completed and presented at DCon as we've all been talking about, but at the moment it seems like it may end up taking more time if we all want to do our absolute best on it.

Any thoughts and/or suggestions would be extremely welcome at this point, guys!

Les Walker
08-13-2008, 07:35 PM
Not sure what to tell you. If it is a matter of matching a shade of paint, then that can be done. Hate you missing out in finishing for the con due to that.
To me, paint's paint, and shades can be matched.

BUT, if we are sure we can't get it done in time, I will relax a bit in trying to get the head finished, as I have TONS to do this week alone. But I will try if we all are up for it.
Just trying to make that early goal. If it is not realistic, at least we can get more done soon. Worth a try at least. :rock

Sentry1
09-16-2008, 04:02 AM
Hi Guys,

I have a short message from a friend of Chris's wife about the base for this project:-

They were talking about doing the USCM symbol for a base - I carefully asked if I could have one or two of Chris' pins with the symbol - I can send them to whoever if they want to include them as part of the figure base - and they were actually Chris' pins.
If this is something you guys would be interested in PM me and I'll sort it out to get the pins sent to whomever need's them.

Best
Angie :peace

dragonsleeper
09-16-2008, 04:15 AM
pardon me for asking but who is Chris C.?

Les Walker
09-17-2008, 12:06 PM
Just answered your PM. Not sure how to make it myself, but one of the members here does do custom bases. Looking into it and hope someone else can remember who it is...

barryo
09-18-2008, 08:47 PM
Just answered your PM. Not sure how to make it myself, but one of the members here does do custom bases. Looking into it and hope someone else can remember who it is...

wasnt that evilface?????????

Hollis DZC
09-20-2008, 10:54 AM
My apologies for my absence. With 5 armored outfits to get ready for DragonCon, it utterly consumed my free time. DragonCon was incredible, but 4 days and nights of costumed partying just left me wiped out! :google Took almost 10 days to recover! :naughty:lol

I'll continue working on the base, got some excellent parts for it, ideas are swinging back and forth, with a partial celing, tubes of various sizes hanging down etc. I was hung up on trying to light it, but right now, I'm going to be putting that part on the back burner, as it was slowing me up.

I've got some of the Delta pins to put on the base already. :D

I talked to Joy (Chris's wife) at Dcon, she's been overwhelmed by the love and support of the USCM. I think she will be just as overwhelmed by what the Sideshow Bros come up with. I told her that we are working on a very special project for her, and she will be completely surprised.

She can't wait! :angelsmil

At the USCM Dinner at DragonCon, she had Chris's gear auctioned off. (got outbid on every single thing too!!! :horror)

But when it came time to auction off Chris's helmet and armor, a Marine spoke up: "How about if we all donate $10- and Joy keeps the armor?"

Wallets flew open amidst a deafening cheer. Joy was in tears.

With about 50+ Marines there, we took care of Joy.

It was awesome guys, just awesome.

The Brotherhood of Colonial Marines-

Mudshark
09-20-2008, 12:36 PM
Welcome back, bro, and thanks for sharing the great memories of this year's D-Con with us! It really makes me wish I could have been there too, even just as an observer. Now that I have my very own USCM uniform, who knows... maybe I'll get that chance one of these days! :D

I was kinda sorry we didn't get it together in time for the con this summer, but at least now Joy knows that we're working on something special, and that's good news. We all have things going on in our lives that have to be attended to, but the project is still very much on track. It's probably for the best that we all take as much time as we need and really do this right, for Chris and Joy's sake.

Rex, did you happen to get any pics of Chris's armour and gear before it was auctioned off? Any additional references of his camo patterns and other little details of his gear would be extremely helpful and greatly appreciated. Maybe somebody else got pics they'd be willing to share. Please LMK if anything like that turns up on the AL board. Since you know so many of Chris's friends, you'd have much better luck than I would. Anything you turn up would be most welcome, bro! :cool:

Hollis DZC
09-20-2008, 10:47 PM
I'll see if anyone has pics of just Chris's armor, trying to think... His stuff wasn't actually there, just pics. I'll see if I can get the pic of his armor that Joy had. Chris's armor was basically Hick's, but with "Joy" in the heart.

Here's what I did with my armor- from the parade-

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-11/63941/DconmyChrismemorialarmor.jpg

52 Marines marched in the parade- all in honor of Chris. 15 Brits, 2 Frenchmen, our Canadian brothers, all came together to salute Chris's memory.

The Honor Guard-
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-11/63941/Dconallflagsgoodpic.jpg

tigerfeet
10-08-2008, 02:30 PM
hey guys its been awhile since anything was posted on this thread......are we still missing anything ? I have got some marines gear that I will not be using so let me know as happy to throw some more into the project if appropriate....:o

Hollis DZC
11-07-2008, 11:46 PM
I'm sure things are proceeding, just not as fast as we all thought. :rolleyes:

I just bought from Kelly's Heroes a base w/ 3 egg pods. I'm trying to see how to pose the figure around it, and include the walls, etc.

The difficult part is not having the eggs dominate the scene. Not much room to place Chris around it. It may or may not make it to the final base. Been scavenging some good parts for the wall section, trying to work with some EL wire, see if I can get some cool lighting effects.

Ironman1188
01-27-2009, 08:16 AM
Wow, did this project ever stall. No updates since November? It really seems to have taken a back seat to so many other things. I know there was a ton of 1:1 interference for many of us in '08, but does anyone know where this stands as of now?

JediMike71
01-28-2009, 07:54 PM
I'm still VERY interested in getting one of these figures, or at least the head sculpt. I had the great pleasure of "meeting" Chris Chulamanis online before he passed away. I have his USCM helmet, and M41-A pulse rifle in 1:6 scale, and a nice set of 1:6 scale fabric USCM patches. I hope this project is still moving forward now.

Please keep us updated.

As Chris used to say...."VBR" :D

Very Best Regards,

Mike Buckley

Mudshark
01-29-2009, 06:54 AM
Wow, did this project ever stall. No updates since November? It really seems to have taken a back seat to so many other things. I know there was a ton of 1:1 interference for many of us in '08, but does anyone know where this stands as of now?

I can't speak for anyone else, but my primary computer unexpectedly quit on me over a month ago and that has severely limited my access to all online activities.

I only know that Les has been in the same boat for quite some time, and that he expects to be back fairly soon. Hopefully he'll chime in here with an update on the Chris portrait he's working on.

I have no idea what any of the other contributors have been doing lately, as far as this project is concerned, though I expect they've also been sidetracked for one reason or another.

I really hope everyone is still on board and will check in here before long, so we can get this project back on track. I'm still 100% committed to doing my part, and I hope to have my own computer up and running again before the end of February, with any luck.

Hollis DZC
02-04-2009, 06:39 PM
I'm still very much involved in this project. Real Life has been a bummer, fighting to keep my house, IRS & property taxes had me step away from
1/6th for awhile.

I've been adding all sorts of stuff to Chris's display and even have his personal Delta pins to attach to the plaque.

Les Walker
02-13-2009, 09:39 AM
Trying to get back to this head. Hope to have a resculpt done well in time for this year's DragonCon...

Hollis DZC
03-05-2009, 07:42 PM
Ooooo-RAH! The Project continues! :D

Ironman1188
04-13-2009, 08:32 AM
Ok, it's been over a month since anything was posted and almost a year stuck on page 5!!
Does anyone have anything to add?
I know the 1:1 dealt a vicious hand to quite a few of us over the last year or so, but this started out as such a wildly great idea when Les & I first imagined it. I'm already waiting to complete so many of my own customs, I don't mind waiting a bit longer if it helps get this cause accomplished.
Anyone?

Hollis DZC
04-17-2009, 05:53 PM
I've got more of the base to do, and have Chris's own Delta pins to put on it.
Life has gotten in the way of getting this project finished, but we really, really should have it finished in time to present to Joy at DragonCon 09. (Assuming she's going. Last year she said she would.)

-Rex

JimCem99
04-21-2009, 02:16 PM
I never knew Chris as I just signed up here. I did a google search and so much info comes up about him. You can tell he was a really great guy. Wish I knew him.

Ironman1188
05-18-2009, 01:42 PM
So, if in space no one can here you scream, can they here you ask :
HEY!! ANYBODY OUT THERE STILL WORKING ON THIS??

wookster
06-12-2009, 04:31 PM
This thread just seems to run and run???

DutchAzlon
06-14-2009, 08:22 AM
What would really be nice if through all this " I mean when this project is done" someone could step up to the plate and start producing the Colonial Marine kits again "legally of course".

Does anyone know if Chris had a partner with his model company? Although I never met him he seemed very nice
I had him send me both a Apone and Hudson head and some uniforms before his passing. I never did get around to ordering a armor set or 2 or any Uniform patches. Oh and that APC WoW! that was exciting news when that was announced amazing!

Ironman1188
06-14-2009, 10:26 AM
What would really be nice if through all this someone could step up to the plate and start producing the Colonial Marine kits again "legally of course".

Does anyone know if Chris had a partner with his model company? Although I never met him he seemed very nice
I had him send me both a Apone and Hudson head and some uniforms before his passing. I never did get around to ordering a armor set or 2 or any Uniform patches. Oh and that APC WoW! that was exciting news when that was announced amazing!

No, we need to get the Chris figure finished and delivered before any thoughts like that should even be considered.

Hollis DZC
06-18-2009, 05:55 PM
Progress on my end has been incredibly slow.:banghead I've got a box of parts, a big box of parts for the base, and just need to put the darn thing together. I keep wondering whether to light it or not, and that keeps bogging me down as I research el wire, grain of wheat bultbs, resistors, etc. All this electric gobbledygook

Ironman1188
07-17-2009, 11:50 AM
Do we have a chance of this going anywhere by this year's Dragon Con?

Les Walker
07-18-2009, 02:48 PM
I need to get that head done and out. I keep him on my desk, so look for something soon. Trying anyway! :rock

Hollis DZC
08-05-2009, 10:11 PM
Lookin' forward to seeing that head Les! I miss Chris.

Ironman1188
09-18-2009, 11:13 AM
Lord knows I've been pummelled by the 1:1 over the last year and a half but its a shame to see that this project really lost its steam. :monkey2

Mudshark
09-18-2009, 10:47 PM
It seems we've all had a heaping cuffload of LIFE since this project got started. I'm still determined to come through with my contributions, or drop dead trying! lol My computer has been resurrected after 8 months of being in cyber limbo hell, so at least I can effectively communicate with you all again. :wave

I've also acquired a 1:1 SA USCM BDU, with a full set of SA Hicks armour and a Hollywood Collectibles PR replica on the way, by year's end hopefully. And I'm seriously beginning plans to attend D-Con next summer so I can be there in person when our completed figure of Chris is presented to his wife.

We now have a whole year until next year's Dragon Con to get this figure finsished... Let's get our collective acts together and make 2010 the year we finally make it happen!!! Any of you guys with me?

Hollis DZC
09-28-2009, 11:15 AM
It seems we've all had a heaping cuffload of LIFE since this project got started. I'm still determined to come through with my contributions, or drop dead trying! lol My computer has been resurrected after 8 months of being in cyber limbo hell, so at least I can effectively communicate with you all again. :wave

I've also acquired a 1:1 SA USCM BDU, with a full set of SA Hicks armour and a Hollywood Collectibles PR replica on the way, by year's end hopefully. And I'm seriously beginning plans to attend D-Con next summer so I can be there in person when our completed figure of Chris is presented to his wife.

We now have a whole year until next year's Dragon Con to get this figure finsished... Let's get our collective acts together and make 2010 the year we finally make it happen!!! Any of you guys with me?

Outstanding! I agree completely. Due to many varied factors, this project has languished for far, far too long. Let's get 'er done!

JediMike71
10-02-2009, 09:42 PM
Yeah, I am with you too! I was able to talk to Chris a few times in e-mails. I got his custom pulse rifle, some of the "Gerber" black boot knives, that great U.S.C.M. fabric patches set, and a marine helmet from him before his passing. What a great guy he was! Very friendly and caring. I'd love to go to Dragon Con next year, and Mudshark I'd love see you present the completed 1/6 scale figure of Chris to his wife! :D

Mudshark
10-03-2009, 06:21 AM
Yeah, I am with you too! I was able to talk to Chris a few times in e-mails. I got his custom pulse rifle, some of the "Gerber" black boot knives, that great U.S.C.M. fabric patches set, and a marine helmet from him before his passing. What a great guy he was! Very friendly and caring. I'd love to go to Dragon Con next year, and Mudshark I'd love see you present the completed 1/6 scale figure of Chris to his wife! :D

Chris truly was one of the very best!!! Like you Mike, I also bought a lot of cool USCM stuff from him, and had some very interesting and enjoyable conversations with him via emails... it's really too bad neither one of us ever got to meet him in person... :(

Brothers Ironman1188, Les Walker, DAJosh, and Stendec were the guys who initially got this thread started, and Hollis DZC knew "FNG" Chris personally. I eagerly came on board this project, too, along with numerous other contributors and supporters. Since Les and Josh seemed to be so busy with their commission work at the time, I sort of volunteered to make up a "worklist", so that everyone involved could keep track of contributions and so forth.

It would be great if everyone who worked on the project could be there at D-Con '10 for the presentation, but I think Hollis DZC should have the honor of actually presenting the figure to Joy, since Chris was a personal friend. That's just my own opinion, though. What really needs to happen first is for us to finish the figure before next summer rolls around!!!

PS: I'd love to attend Dragon Con next summer and meet all you guys who live in the Southlands in person, if any of you are planning to be there. I'm still in the early planning stage at this point, but if things work out I definitely want to be there when Joy receives our tribute to Pfc. "FNG" Chris Chulamanis!

I can definitely fade the clothing and give it small wear here and there, make it dirty in areas if he is to be "straight from a bug hunt"... whatever needs to be done.

As for pose, when it is assembled and finished we can always print out some pics and maybe make a card with all of the artist and contributor sigs on it. Would be a nice way to show we care and give her an idea of what the pose was when it was made and shots that were taken.

I definitely second this great idea! It'd be even more special if some of us could actually be there in person when she receives it!

I am still working on the head, so bear with me guys. With all else I have to do this week, he's in there, just not done yet. When I get him finished, I may just send him on to whoever is putting the figure together, and let someone else mold and cast him if they so desire. I just don't have time to do that. My main objective is the get the head reworked and painted. So, that is the best I can do.

Since the portrait of Chris is so crucial to the success of this project, this will be an enormous contribution. We absolutely need your help with this, bro!

So to that end, here's a repost of the work list just to remind everyone where we are with the project. Hopefully the key people will chime in just to touch bases soon so we can get this thing moving again. :duff

Figure:

Uniform:

Basic Equipment:

Special Equipment:

Body Armour:

Weapons:
Shotgun - (contributor?)

Custom Base/Plaque:

Hollis DZC
10-08-2009, 10:24 PM
Outstanding job putting the above list together Mudshark! Guys, I'm guilty as the rest for not getting the base done yet. My apologies. I've gathered parts, bits, etc. and just get more stuff for it. Pretty soon, I have to pare stuff out, so there's room for Chris!

Let us make a committment to getting this done in the next 3 months. Does that sound do-able? We need to get this to Joy. We need to do our part to put a smile on the lady's face.

I'll be up for anyone busting my ass if I don't have some damn progress pics of the base soon!! :banghead

I'm looking at a pic of Chris and I at DCon07. We gotta make this happen guys. Gotta.

Mudshark, did you get my PM? I sent you a reply to your email. For some reason, when I try to reply, it bounces back. I'll PM you my new addy.

And yes, I have reserved space for you in the USCM Suite!! You'd best be prepared for one wild, fun-filled incredible time!!!

-Rex

tigerfeet
10-09-2009, 10:12 AM
i think i have some more M40 grenades if still needed.....:D

Mudshark
10-09-2009, 10:54 AM
Thanks for checking in guys! I'd love to see this happen within 3 months! It may be a tough goal to achieve unless everyone's completely on board, but it's definitely a good one to shoot for and should get some of us properly motivated, myself included... :whip

I also want to mention that all of the items in RED TEXT on the worklist are pieces of gear, etc. still needed to complete the project. Some of it will probably need to be fabricated or kit-bashed, but if anyone thinks they have something that will work, please post your comments!

* tigerfeet: You've already contributed a load of great gear, bro, but if you've still got some more grenades you're willing to part with, we can definitely use them for that extra bandolier Chris wore in some of the pics I've seen. Please LMK. :cool:

moxie
10-19-2009, 01:57 PM
What type of shotgun is needed?

Mudshark
10-19-2009, 10:39 PM
What type of shotgun is needed?

Ideally, an Ithaca Model 37 12-gauge pump w/combat grip...

For comparison: Top - Hot Toys (came with Hicks figure), Bottom - 21st Century Toys. Both have combat pistol grip, HT version slide does not move, 21st version slide moves.
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w245/Mudshark_Album/P1010048-1.jpg

HT version came with the shotgun case pictured below, a very nicely extra. (The EVA Hicks shotgun model kit was all resin and the shotgun could not be removed from case.)
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w245/Mudshark_Album/P1010049-1.jpg

The 21st version correctly has the ejection port underneath, the HT version has it on the right side, which is not correct. Also, the slide and other details on the 21st version, while not perfect, are generally more accurate than the HT version.
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w245/Mudshark_Album/P1010050.jpg

Here you can see some of the differences for yourself.
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w245/Mudshark_Album/P1010051-1.jpg

Note: If anyone has either an EVA or the Hot Toys Hicks shotgun & case to spare, please let us know! (Unfortunately, these are already spoken for... I need 'em for my HT Hicks project...)

Mudshark
01-09-2010, 09:50 PM
*IN MEMORIAM*
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w245/Mudshark_Album/FNGpic.jpg
Chris Chulamanis - "FNG"
Aug. 16, 1949 - Jan. 10, 2008

Les Walker
01-09-2010, 09:57 PM
*IN MEMORIAM*
Chris Chulamanis - "FNG"

Rock on guys! Chris will never be forgotten! :rock

I am still in, just buried in work and stuff, but his head stares at me daily and I will endeavor to show something for this soon. I would love to be there for any ceremony also of course, if time, and money allow.
One can hope. I will try.

Mudshark
01-10-2010, 03:16 AM

I am still in, just buried in work and stuff, but his head stares at me daily and I will endeavor to show something for this soon. I would love to be there for any ceremony also of course, if time, and money allow.

I really do hope you can make it, buddy. My wife and I are planning to be there, already got our Dragon Con memberships & everything. It's a looong way for us to go, but I also want to be there when our completed memorial figure of Chris is presented to his wife.

Hollis DZC (Rex) said she didn't attend the Con last year, but if we can finish the figure in time, then hopefully arrangements can be made to present it to her in person. If so, it would be all the more memorable if everybody who worked on the project could be there, too, if there's any way you guys can swing it.

It would also be a blast (and a privilege) to finally meet all you guys in person! I don't know if we'll ever get another chance like this. Anyway, please think it over. There's still time to work things out. In the meantime, let's do our best to finish this project before the summer rolls around again!!!

Ironman1188
01-10-2010, 08:42 AM

Amen to that.
It is unfortunate that so much got in the way of what was trully a great gesture being one more timely. Hopefully when it is finally done our work can still be seen as a tribute and not something that opens old wound.

Hollis DZC
01-10-2010, 09:55 AM
*IN MEMORIAM*
Chris Chulamanis - "FNG"

I love this pic. Chris was sooooo happy to be carrying the USCM Flag that day! I swore he walked as if he was 10ft tall!! :D Just an awesome, awesome pic. It really tells alot about how Chris was, how he felt about the Colonial Marines. He was always first to welcome any newcomer or potential newcomer- always there to share information on becoming a Colonial Marine.

Miss you Chris.

Deckard
01-15-2010, 03:52 AM
Hey guys, I didn't know Chris but I'd like to contribute, I just bought one of these on ebay, please let me know who to send it to.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hot-Toys-BIOHAZARD-Sheva-Alomar-Ithaca-M37-Shotgun-1-6_W0QQitemZ360206887769QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Defau ltDomain_0?hash=item53de00eb59

Please let me know if I can help in any other way. I'd really like to see this project get finished.

Mudshark
01-15-2010, 12:44 PM
Just thought I'd repost this makeshift checklist so we can see what's what. It would be great if everyone who's working on pieces for the figure would check in, just to touch bases. As far as I know, there are still a few small items needed, depending on what the decided final look of the figure will be. Any ideas or comments?

Chris Chulamanis Memorial Figure Project - Checklist

Figure:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Uniform:
* Application: (DA Josh)

Basic Equipment:

Special Equipment:

Body Armour:

Weapons:
Shotgun - (contributor?)
Final figure assembly and weathering:
* DA Josh

Custom Base/Plaque:

Les Walker
05-07-2010, 09:53 AM
Still around, and still trying to get the Chris head painted and finished and off to where he needs to go. No worries from my end. I will get him done soon.

In the meantime, a really cool story to share with you all here, with a nod to Chris in the mix...

Some time back, about a year now, I sold my personal ALIENS Bishop figure custom, complete with Chris' patches on him, to a girl named Ashley Kuehnel. She had contacted me about it after seeing it on my site, and wanted one, and I went ahead and sold her mine.
She recently went to a convention and got actor Lance Henriksen to sign it personally!

Here is Ashley, Lance and the figure! You can see his auto on the base!
http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu185/Leswalker_2009/BishopAuto1.jpg

Besides being a cutey herself, Ashley was sweet enough to tell Lance the story of the figure, that he had met me before, and that the patches on the figure were made by Chris, and how he had died, and how the figure had come into her hands.
A wonderful story.
I am glad it worked out that way. He was just gathering dust on my shelf, and now, he is ROCKING and standing for my work, and of course, for Chris, it was shown to and shared with the guy that played the role, and he knows of Chris now, if he didn't already.
I am honored it ended up this way.

By the way, actor Doug Bradley, ole Pinhead himself, was sitting next to Lance, and Ashley told me he was playing with the figure a lot, and that also thrills me! My old Bishop figure is having the best time ever free from my clutches! LOL!
That is all I ever hope for for any of my works, that they get seen and shared. And for us, that Chris' assistances to our own custom ALIENS figures, and his memory, lives on!

Thanks Chris! Wherever you are, enjoy this one!

Indiana Fett
05-07-2010, 09:58 AM
That's a terrific story Les! Thanks for sharing that. :)

cadaver202
06-15-2010, 09:20 PM
If this is still going on I am willing to donate any parts (minus body) of my hot toys Drake figure if needed.

Ironman1188
06-16-2010, 05:28 AM
Cadaver, that is most kind of you.
This project has been more than majorly derailed since its conception and that is more than just a tragedy. The plan is to still get the figure completed though.

Ironman1188
01-20-2011, 01:46 PM
WOW!! Another half year with no movement on this. I'm truly saddened. :(

On another note however, does anyone know how I can contact Chris' wife?

DutchAzlon
01-23-2011, 04:32 PM
It is sad, you can try and post on http://www.scifimilitary.com/forum/
Although no one seems to be using the forum much anymore I know for a fact there are several people on the board that know how to contact her.

Someone posted that they know the family and may have been neighbors if I remember right.

Mudshark
02-04-2011, 12:54 PM
Chris' wife is known to a number of friends she and Chris had on the Aliens Legacy forum. I finally got to meet some of them in person at Dragon Con in Atlanta this past summer. His wife hasn't attended the con for the past couple of years, which is understandable.

This project has sadly drifted into the core systems, but it may yet be salvaged. I doubt whether it would be appropriate to offer it to his wife after all this time, however. I think it would be a most welcome tribute to Chris if presented to his friends in the Colonial Marines, who could possibly display it at the Aliens/USCM fan table at the various conventions they attend. That would perhaps be the most fitting way to dedicate this figure to Chris' memory, if it is ever completed.

I haven't given up on this project, though my hands are pretty much tied without the cooperation of the other guys who were involved in it. I have no idea if or when things will ever get back on track, but I'm still in, for my part. Can't speak for any of the other guys, though... :(

Note: The scifimilitary.com board was up only a couple of days ago, but it seems the site has gone recently. No idea if it's only temporary or for good, but I believe its moderator may be indisposed for a time. Hopefully it will be up again soon.

Mudshark
03-21-2011, 02:05 PM
Les,

It's been a long time since I've heard any news from or about you. Hope things are going much better for you these days. Just wanted to check in with you to see what our chances are of getting this project underway. The portrait of Chris is one of the most essential pieces of the whole project, and without it we're pretty much at a standstill.

I know you must be plenty busy, but if you could spare even a little time on it here and there, then just maybe we could finish this figure in time for Dragon Con this coming summer. Not pushin', just askin'... Anyway, looking forward to hearing from you again.

Take care buddy,

Dru

Sabres21768
03-24-2011, 01:54 PM
Yeah, 3 years on this and it's not finished yet...pretty sad really.

Mudshark
03-24-2011, 02:24 PM
Yeah, 3 years on this and it's not finished yet...pretty sad really.

Agreed. I think it's time to look at other options. I know some people are just too busy with other things to spare any time for this. Can't be helped.

HollisDZC and I have time and enough equipment to build this figure by ourselves, but since it was originally Ironman1188's idea, and was to be a collaborative effort, we've been in standby mode for quite a while now.

I know Les sincerely meant to do what he said he'd do, and Josh too, but things have changed since then. And we still need a good likeness of Chris to get this project off the ground...:(

bladeiai
07-19-2011, 07:24 PM
I was looking at the first page and it said something about doing a plaque for the base perhaps? I work for a jewelry store and have access to a nice engraving machine if you are interested in having me make a plaque of some type. If it is a high polished surface I can even engrave a photo image on it along with text, logos and what not. Just let me know if I can help out.

Hollis DZC
08-16-2011, 02:50 PM
I was looking at the first page and it said something about doing a plaque for the base perhaps? I work for a jewelry store and have access to a nice engraving machine if you are interested in having me make a plaque of some type. If it is a high polished surface I can even engrave a photo image on it along with text, logos and what not. Just let me know if I can help out.

That would be really nice! A "Wish List" would be- It would be nice to have the USCM Screaming Eagles on one side and the USCM Delta on the other- Chris Chulamanis / USCM Service # / Birth / Death.

"One helluva Colonial Marine, one helluva Man."

topknot
01-10-2012, 06:18 AM
I know I'm new, but I would love to see this still happen. What a man. Would of really loved to meet Chris. Can this still happen? If I can help, please let me know..

Ironman1188
01-10-2012, 07:47 AM
Gotta time machine? A lot's happened since Les and I first brainstormed this. It took off with a head of steam and tapered off quietly into oblivion.
I'd love to see it happen, but the meaning behind it I think has been lost and I'm not sure how the timing would be now.
Is anyone here still in contact with Chris' wife?

Mudshark
01-12-2012, 03:04 AM
For what it's worth, I think it probably would've happened already had it not been for a series of unexpected & unfortunate events that followed after the project had gotten underway. A lot hinged on the completion of a head sculpt of Chris, and that unfortunately has not happened, yet.

For my part, I still have in safe keeping all of the armor and other gear that so many people here generously contributed. If/when someone is willing to provide a suitable head sculpt I'm prepared to do my part to see this project through to completion.

As you said though, time has passed and things have changed, although I can tell you from having met many of Chris' good friends on the AL board and in person at Dragon Con the past two years, his memory is still very much alive.

I think Rex (Hollis DZC) would be the person to ask regarding word about Joy, Chris' wife. Last I heard, I think he said she was still interested and was wondering if the project was still happening. To my knowledge she hasn't attended Dragon Con the past couple of years. If this project were to be completed as planned, that might make a decided difference, though.

All things considered, it still comes down to having a good head sculpt of Chris, after which I believe this project can and will finally move forward again.

Les Walker
01-17-2012, 03:45 PM
Sorry guys. I have been UNFATHOMABLY busy trying to not only get works out to folks waiting ages, but to live and deal with not only not having a job or any real income, (i've been selling off my collection) but to still get back to projects like this. I have been away from sites for nearly a year, and hate it, but I am trying my best to re-emerge and finish things. I have A head that was slated for reworking for Chris. I have some issues at present that are holding me up, namely the potentially life saving surgery for my own father (he has a badly dilated aortic aneurism, and his surgery is two weeks from today, things like this have kept me away...) is gonna keep me away from work again, but, this must be done. I knew Chris only by emails, and his patches made my old Bishop figure (long since sold) a possibility. So, his memory must be memorialized. He earned it. I will do all I can to get that head finished and to who it needs to go (Mudshark).
So, there. I am still out here, painting as best I can, to finish ALL I had to finish. Damn near half blind now, over age 50 sucks for close up vision age, but I still continue to paint.

I will still do my best to honor this project.

Thanks and hang in there! Chris' memory lives on! :rock

JediMike71
01-17-2012, 04:53 PM
Hey Les! I'm sorry to hear about your Dad. I like you, only "met" Chris online. I still have most of his patch set here that I will not sell. He was a great guy. I am interested in this project after talking to him, and having the chance to opportunity to own some of his great work. :)

Ironman1188
01-24-2012, 08:25 AM
When we came up with the whole "Chris" figure idea, and after I sent out all the parts I had to contribute, I started to think that I wanted Chris in my USCM platoon. It's a far less detailed version than what we were doing here but I couldn't find another of the heads I had sent Les at the time.
I went with this head, and I am really starting to think it to be a better choice. Keep in mind the hair would need to be repainted but I think it would capture a "warrior" Chris.
What do you guys think?
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/1-6-FIGURE-HEAD-MATURED-WHITE-MAN-GREEN-HAIR-COMMANDER-/00/$(KGrHqYOKocE3G65M6uBBNyN6BQ4Og~~_12.JPG
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-6-FIGURE-HEAD-MATURED-WHITE-MAN-GREEN-HAIR-COMMANDER-/190628553428?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c6258e2d4

Mudshark
01-25-2012, 10:27 AM
Hey Les! Damn good to hear from you, man. It HAS been a loooong time, bro! No worries, I know you sincerely want to do this. Never doubted it for a second. I only wanted to chime in here and basically let everyone know that I'm still on board and ready to go when the time is right.

I'm no stranger to dealing with aging, ailing parents, or having to make personal sacrifices when necessary, so I really do understand, and agree that family has to come first, no matter what. From following your thread the past few years I have some idea of what you've been going through. I realize you need time to work through it, and believe you'll be back on board when you are able. So do what you need to do, Les, and know that you have my full understanding and best wishes at heart. God speed!

Ironman1188 came up with this inspired idea and it is one that deserves to get done right. We'll get this tribute to Chris finished, however long it may take us. We'll be here whenever you're ready. :wave

Mudshark
01-25-2012, 11:10 AM
When we came up with the whole "Chris" figure idea, and after I sent out all the parts I had to contribute, I started to think that I wanted Chris in my USCM platoon. It's a far less detailed version than what we were doing here but I couldn't find another of the heads I had sent Les at the time.
I went with this head, and I am really starting to think it to be a better choice. Keep in mind the hair would need to be repainted but I think it would capture a "warrior" Chris.
What do you guys think?
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/1-6-FIGURE-HEAD-MATURED-WHITE-MAN-GREEN-HAIR-COMMANDER-/00/$(KGrHqYOKocE3G65M6uBBNyN6BQ4Og~~_12.JPG
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-6-FIGURE-HEAD-MATURED-WHITE-MAN-GREEN-HAIR-COMMANDER-/190628553428?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c6258e2d4

Hmm... I'm probably not the best qualified to comment, but I haven't seen many pictures where Chris didn't have a huge smile on his face. I never got to see his "war face", sadly, but I'm sure he must've had one.

Offhand I think it may need a little reworking to be a closer match to his basic facial structure. LMK if you need any photos of Chris, I have a file with some pretty good ones that could be useful.

Btw, you're definitely not alone in wanting Chris in your squad of 1:6 Marines. I hope we'll all be able to add our own memorial figures of PFC "FNG" (Funny New Guy) Chris Chulamanis to our collections at some point.

Hollis DZC
01-26-2012, 05:46 PM
Joy has inquired about the Chris Memorial. I told her it's still a work in progress. Understandably, she is disappointed, but still looking forward to the final unveiling!

Les, good to hear from you man! Life throws challenges at us my friend, and how we deal with it, shows what we are made of. Good luck my friend, we'll keep a chair open for ya here, when you are able to rejoin us.

As for Chris's "warface", that's actually quite close. I can't post pics of him right now, as my photo hosting site since '06 has gone belly up. ALL my pics are on there, I do have some on my hard drive on another computer, but I don't know how many. I sure hope most are there, all my DragonCon pics, custom figures, etc. etc.

Almost all of Chris's pics he's smiling. Save for a few as we are reenacting a "Colony Sweep" or two or three...:exactly::clap:clap:rotfl

Good times, good times.

A serious Chris or a smilin' Chris? I know Joy would want a smilin' one, but I understand how a warrior Chris would be appealing too.

So, like Chris would probably say: "As long as it's Colonial Marines, it's all right with me!" :hi5::hi5:

Ironman1188
01-27-2012, 08:30 AM
Hollis, If you think that the head I last posted works better for a "Chris in bug hunt" type figure, LMK and I'll see if the auction is still going and try and get it. I have been constantly working thru this figure in the back of my mind. Yes, most pix of Chris are smiling pix, but there was little reason for members of the USCM to smile in battle and battling is what they were created for.
Also, could you ask Joy to contact me by email? [or you could if you are in close contact with her please]

Hollis DZC
01-27-2012, 10:04 AM
Ironman, I think the head is pretty close, Chris' face was thinner in the cheeks, but it could be a very good starting point.

I'll try and get in touch with Joy, it's been awhile since I last chatted with her. It's been really hard for her, talk of Chris' USCM buddies, brings up memories and makes her sad. But, let me see what I can do.
As for having her communicate with others, I've tried before, but that was a year or more ago. Hopefully, she's up for it, but I can't promise anything bro.

Ironman1188
01-29-2012, 02:21 PM
Ok, I ordered this head as well. It may be easier to "Chris" this one up with some simple graying. We'll see.

Hollis DZC
01-30-2012, 09:48 AM
Sounds good! Look forward to seeing it! I called Joy, left a message, but haven't heard back as of yet.

Ironman1188
07-12-2012, 04:00 PM
Could this thread get "stickied" back over in the action figure section? It is about a custom memorial figure, not a statue or prop.

Ironman1188
07-17-2012, 08:22 AM
Does anyone read this thread anymore, or can they even find it buried in here?