New to Marvel Hot Toys, looking for advice

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hooper

Freakalicious
Reaction score
I am going to start the insane task of collecting Marvel Hot Toys. I had a few questions:

1: what are the top 3-5 pieces (figures and/or sets) that are considered must haves?

2: which pieces are worth avoiding? Either poor production or poor likeness.

3: how often should I expect to need to modify these pieces? For the most part will they be good to go "out of the box" so to speak.

Thanks very much!

My top 5 marvel to own:

Blade
Hulk
Red spiderman
Iron Man MK IV
And representing the baddies red skull

I would avoid in no particular order:
Any other iron men....just too expensive to get them all, it will drive you mad trying, or break the bank lol

I am going to start the insane task of collecting Marvel Hot Toys. I had a few questions:.
1: what are the top 3-5 pieces (figures and/or sets) that are considered must haves?

Top 5 Marvel pieces off the top of my head:

1. Blade
2. Iron Monger
3. Iron Man Mk 4
4. Hulk
5. Avengers Loki

I'm probably forgetting an obvious one that would knock Loki off the list :lol

Likeness is in the eye of the beholder and that list is way too long.

Figures with issues are easier to avoid, but again another long list and your best bet is to frequent that specific figure's thread and inquire.

3: how often should I expect to need to modify these pieces? For the most part will they be good to go "out of the box" so to speak.

Never need to if you don't play with them.

1 Hulk
2 Blade
3 Thor The Dark World (got the Armored version, Spectacular figure)
4 Wolverine Origins
5 Avengers Loki
6 Some pretty good Iron Man figures coming out, I'd say pick up Silver Centurion. If you only want one, I think the Mark 4 makes the best generic red and gold Ironman. Oh And the Mark 1 cause its a classic
7 Im gonna go out on a limb and say Stealth suit Captain America will be a stunning figure

Stuff to avoid, I guess Bruce Banner because the likeness isn't that great and probably will be another Banner from Ultron.

Avoid getting hooked on Ironman because you're not gonna win that fight. There will always be another one.

I am going to start the insane task of collecting Marvel Hot Toys. I had a few questions:

Thanks very much!

Best advice I can give you is that the line isn't going anywhere. There's a new Avengers film coming out so if there's any figure that costs too much or whose flaws outweigh its virtues, just wait for the Avengers 2 version.

Must haves are subjective. Buy what YOU like not what others deem as worthy of a collection, you'll save money and prevent buyers remorse that way. Search the Marvel threads, read about the pros and cons of each figure your remotely interested in and enjoy the collection building.

Another thing: Hot Toys is getting better and better. So for the most part, the later the release the better the figure. People may point out exceptions, but I think it's mostly true.

You decide.

www.google.com

Mostly, yes.

No offense meant at the brevity of my answers to the first 2 questions, but they're quite personal. A lot of people say Blade, but I couldn't give a rat's arse about it, so....

Thanks very much!

As Bjjer says, buy what you like, not what others recommend.. so, here is my list of must haves -

1. Iron Monger
2. Iron Man Mk II Unleashed
3. War Machine, Milk variant
4. War Machine 2, Diecast
5. Iron Man Mk XXXVIII Igor

..you will probably also want Hulkbuster when it gets revealed.. oh, and the Mk III Diecast.. the Mk 42 Diecast.. Python.. Mk IV (Secret Project) ..and a bunch of the other armors.
:rock

I find Marvel sculpts may be lacking compared to other lines but they have been getting better recently. That said, they are the majority of my collection because i enjoy the characters. The problem is most are sold out and will likely be expensive to obtain. From my collection, top five is:

Wolverine: Origins
Blade II
Thor: Dark World (light armor)
Iron Monger
Iron man Mark 6 or 42

Stealth Cap coming in Dec looks like a keeper as well......

I think personal taste is needed here.
your likes and dislikes differ to everyone else..making us all unique.
for e.g...I like the Hawkeye and Rose Hill Stark figure,battle damaged mk7 and.light armour thor.i also think Rescue Cap looks pretty cool too.
it is all a matter of.opinion my friend.
before you know it...you will be addicted like the rest of us.
my first answer was to turn around and run...quick.lol

Top 5

1. IronMan mk 4
2. IronMan mk 7
3. Captain American - The first Avenger
4. Avengers Loki
5. The Dark World Thor

All are just fantastic pieces right out of the box.

I found put the best way to collect the HT Marvel Movie universe is pick a movie line or character you really like, focus on that, and then collect one version of the other characters so you have a representation of all the Marvel characters. I tried initially to collect all of it, but it got too expensive and impossible to display all of them (I live in an apartment in Manhattan with space at a premium). Personally, I am collecting the Captain America and Avengers lines and have given up on Iron Man and Thor. I fact I'm planning on selling off most of the IM HT figures I have in October-November this year.

Thanks very much!

I agree with what others have posted...#1 rule of collecting - buy what you like.

Having said that my advice to you if you want to start collecting HT is...run! run like the wind while you can now! ;)

Rule #2...see rule #1 - that's all you really should live by.

Some words of advice in regards to your #2 question...just do your research. Their might be a figure you like and it might have problems...for example - Amazing Spider Man had shoulder breaking problems, Mk 42 had shoulder breaking problems, first version Tumbler had oil spots on the roof...
so just some food for thought

#3 is also up to you. Some collectors are extremely detail oriented and if it does not match the movie 99% then the modify it. Some of us take it out of the box with minimal futzing and on the shelf it goes.

Basically all of your questions are subjective, so the answers really are up to you.

My advice, stay away. You're wallet will thank you :rotfl

On that note, buy what you like. We all have different opinions.

Going back to collect older releases is going to be expensive.

My fave 5:

Blade
IM2 Mk 6
Captain America TFA
Origins Wolverine
Avengers Loki

Some not Marvels:
1989 Keaton Batman
DX10 T800
General Zod

Back