REPAINT: Darth Vader Mythos Without Orange Glow!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JazzInc

Super Freak
Reaction score
I know many of you aren't crazy about the fake orange glow on the Vader Mythos statue. I agree and so I took out my airbrush, paints, dry brushes, etc to repaint the entire figure. I used three different blacks, gloss finishes, silver, gunmetal grey and many others to repaint everything. I wanted to get the satin look of the cape next to the semi-glossy look of the leather tunic and the high gloss of the mask and the boots. I even got the faint red glow of the eyes of the mask in there. I am very happy with the results. It also looks much more mixed media, especially in real life.

I hope the pictures do it justice.

I cannot wait to hear your thoughts, so please C&C!

IMG_4627.jpgIMG_4629.jpgIMG_4628.jpgVader9.jpgVader7.jpgVader6.jpgVader3.jpgVader2.jpgVader1.jpg

Last edited:
yapp ! thats would I would do with my Vader as well if I would have ordered it... I specially like the orange dry brushing at the end of the cape.. blends in with the base nicely ! Looking way better then the orange touches and the blob on the helmet ! congrats !

I actually like the orange "glow" effect, but holy crap did you do an excellent job of painting Vader. Everything looks very crisp and shines in the right places. Nicely done!!

I never noticed until I just looked at the pics again, but that very faint orange you left on some of the battle damage looks great. Conveys he just had a serious match with someone who almost bested him!

Awe inspiring job!!! Just beautiful - the attention to detail is superb, particularly those little orange bits on the tip of the cape, etc

Saying that, I'm with Slynger: I have so many versions of Vader that the orange on the Mythos was the point of difference that drew me to it. The only bit (to me) they went too far with was (as myc said) the blob on the helmet. So I painted it all black and it actually looked worse!!! So I quickly had to remove the paint and hope I hadn't damaged the original... I was lucky :)

BTW: I didn't know Vader had 2 lightsabers :wave

I think I have some painting to take care of now, you did an insane job.
It seems on some of them the orange glow ain't quite as bad as on others. Mine on the other hand...Vader might as well be wearing a neon orange suit.

JazzInc, I was one of the members asking for someone to take on this challenge.
I'm so glad you got it done. It looks amazing! That's exactly how I wish it came from Sideshow.

The matte finish of the cape, in contrast to the gloss on his uniform, comes off as a cloth material. Nice illusion.

Awesome job! :clap

Looks very good... excellent paint job.

I like a few others here feel the orange is what makes this Vader unique tho, that and the fact I don't have the ***** or skill to repaint it lol

Thanks so much for all the kind feedback everyone! I appreciate it. Makes me love sharing even more, because here there are people who get the importance of getting it right!

BTW: I didn't know Vader had 2 lightsabers :wave

*hahaha* yeah, like the good boy scout that he is, Vader always carries a backup......... or I forgot to take it out for the sword arm pictures... ;)

Inspired by MYC's comments I slightly increased the orange dry brushing at the ends of vaders cape, simulating the lava melting the cape. I like it. What do you think?

IMG_4627.jpg
IMG_4628.jpg
IMG_4629.jpg

Last edited:
killer. makes mine look like a child painted it.

about how much time would you say it took you to do it? I have a guy locally and I want him to repaint mine the same way.

fantastic !! Damn kind of regret I did not purchased him and repainted mine as well.. I guess WL is no chance anymore

killer. makes mine look like a child painted it.

about how much time would you say it took you to do it? I have a guy locally and I want him to repaint mine the same way.

Thanks, I took about 5 hours to repaint it all

Back