Disney to Acquire Lucasfilm Ltd.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pixletwin

Malalaking Gagamba
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
https://news.yahoo.com/disney-acquire-lucasfilm-ltd-195100740.html

Global leader in high-quality family entertainment agrees to acquire world-renowned Lucasfilm Ltd, including legendary STAR WARS franchise.
Acquisition continues Disney’s strategic focus on creating and monetizing the world’s best branded content, innovative technology and global growth to drive long-term shareholder value.
Lucasfilm to join company’s global portfolio of world class brands including Disney, ESPN, Pixar, Marvel and ABC.
STAR WARS: EPISODE 7 feature film targeted for release in 2015.
An investor conference call will take place at approximately 4:30 p.m. EDT / 1:30 p.m. PDT today, October 30, 2012. Details for the call are listed in the release.

:panic::panic::panic::panic:

I am not sure that I like this news.

Just saw this. Being a Disney nerd and SW nerd, it's all good to me.

"For the past 35 years, one of my greatest pleasures has been to see Star Wars passed from one generation to the next," said George Lucas, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Lucasfilm. "It's now time for me to pass Star Wars on to a new generation of filmmakers."

Lucasfilm to join company’s global portfolio of world class brands including Disney, ESPN, Pixar, Marvel and ABC.
STAR WARS: EPISODE 7 feature film targeted for release in 2015.

tumblr_lm3eaaj4pR1qfozz6.png

I doubt the OT gang will be back together but...I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing.

How does one go about finding "told ya so" posts? ;)

But seriously, I didn't see the Disney acquisition coming. Did anyone?

I for one, am excited to see Ep. 7. I hope Lucas is still involved in the creative process, but it'll be great to see another director, or at the very least, people to tell him when an idea sucks. And better writing.

Lucas will serve as "creative consultant" for Ep 7. He's not going to write or direct it.

Walt Disney this afternoon announced a deal to buy Lucasfilm from Star Wars director and film pioneer George Lucas for $4.05 billion in cash and stock.

Under terms of the deal, Lucas will be paid half in cash and half in the form of about 40 million Disney shares.

“Lucasfilm reflects the extraordinary passion, vision, and storytelling of its founder, George Lucas,” Disney CEO Robert Iger said in a statement. “This transaction combines a world-class portfolio of content including Star Wars, one of the greatest family entertainment franchises of all time, with Disney’s unique and unparalleled creativity across multiple platforms, businesses, and markets to generate sustained growth and drive significant long-term value.”

Lucas said in a statement that it is “now time for me to pass Star Wars on to a new generation of filmmakers.”

“I’ve always believed that Star Wars could live beyond me, and I thought it was important to set up the transition during my lifetime,” Lucas said. “I’m confident that with Lucasfilm under the leadership of Kathleen Kennedy, and having a new home within the Disney organization, Star Wars will certainly live on and flourish for many generations to come. Disney’s reach and experience give Lucasfilm the opportunity to blaze new trails in film, television, interactive media, theme parks, live entertainment, and consumer products.”

The deal includes not only Star Wars but also other businesses operated by Lucasfilm, including LucasArts, Industrial Light & Magic, and Skywalker Sound. Disney said the current plan is for Lucasfilm employees to remain in their current locations.

Kathleen Kennedy, now co-chairman of Lucasfilm, becomes president of the company, reporting to Disney Chairman Alan Horn. She’s also act brand manager for Star Wars. The announcement said she will serve as executive producer on new fils in the franchise, with Lucas as creative consultant. The announcement notes that Star Wars Episode 7 is scheduled for release in 2015, with more films expected to follow.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/ericsa...oda-disney-to-buy-lucasfilm-for-4-05-billion/

Disney has done Star Wars days forever, has the rides, etc.., this is a nice mesh, and I'm sorry to say, but some movies about the generation of the OT's children without Lucas at the helm may turn out pretty nice.

Disney has done great since acquiring Marvel, hoping great things come from this.

Disney, Marvel and now Lucas. Sideshow is set for life.

All Disney needs to do now is buy Hasbro.

Hmmm....so can they fire Lucas now and get someone in there to handle SW properly?

Back