DARTH VADER ROTJ 1:1 Sideshow Collectibles

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gino

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hey guys, finally back from Cali, settled in and ready to post some stuff.
SDCC was nuts.

As some of you are already aware, I was fortunate enough to develop the 1:1 Darth Vader ROTJ for Sideshow Collectibles.
I provided the costume components and sculpted the custom mannequin with my friend Erik Gaadt, and the talented Kristina Leigh made all the fabric based items.

Sideshow's goal for this piece was not necessarily to create a rough prop accurate statue down to the last booger, but rather an idealized representation of what we feel captured the overall essence of Vader.
The mannequin was based on the physique of David Prowse and was strategically partitioned out into sections to make shipping less expensive and assembly easier.

The costume components are non-wearable and non-removable.
In the pics/videos, the gloves are only stand-ins as they were not ready for SDCC.
The final gloves will be much more accurate.

At some point here in the not too distant future, we'll be doing a more comprehensive interview/video presentation with Sideshow's team.
In the meantime, here are some pics and an exclusive video Kristina and I did with the RPF.
PS, if you have any other pics or videos you want to share, please feel free to post in this thread!

Hope you guys enjoy

PICS

ss_vader1.jpg

ss_vader2.jpg

ss_vader3.jpg

ss_vader4.jpg

ss_vader5.jpg

ss_vader6.jpg

INTERVIEW WITH THE RPF

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju_JveIGUwA&list=UU9nFCutqwHUQWQ16Cc6gSLA&index=4&feature=plcp[/ame]

Last edited:
Awesome work as usual Gino. Looking forward to hearing more about it soon.

Can you elaborate on what makes it ROTJ? I know a lot of the differences between ANH Vader but not sure about TESB vs ROTJ Vader.

Can't wait to order it.

Awesome work as usual Gino. Looking forward to hearing more about it soon.

Can you elaborate on what makes it ROTJ? I know a lot of the differences between ANH Vader but not sure about TESB vs ROTJ Vader.

Can't wait to order it.
ROJ suit:
2 less details on the chest box, slightly wider dome - thicker bottom "lip", belt has "button" next to buckle (same belt as TIE pilot), 5 "vents" on buckle vs 4 on ANH, SLIGHT differences on face paint (same facets painted includes more or less minute surfaces)...EXTRA shiny, no weathering on belt like ESB - (If i remember correctly)
I forget what else...lightsaber is same as ESB. (the one we all thought was the ROJ is actually the stunt saber with the allen screws used to hold the "blade" in place.) -

Very cool, Gino! Knowing your involvement in making the piece, I know it will be as accurate as possible!

George Lucas. It's his favorite Vader.

i suppose we should be thankful it isn't the ROTS Vader... i do believe the ESB Vader would have been the stronger choice however... especially considering they are rolling out an ESB Fett.

This would look great in my lounge room. Prefer this than my Sideshow bust. Vader needs to be full.

Not to mention tne bust is not close to accurate in terms of the shape of the face mask n dome...but it's still nice...those lifesize, on the other hand is basically prop quality in terms of lineage/ or accuracy

I hope someday they ll take this stance with the Mark 3 Iron Man.Id sell every other collectible I own to have that standing in the corner of my house.

If they want to sell more than a few, then it will need to be priced under $10,000. R2 and C-3PO sold for under $6,000 each when they were first released.

whatever the price is, letting us all know as soon as possible would be smart, to give us time to save up. I expect this thing will be a lot more than the average monthly paycheck could cover! An expected release date and a ball park figure would be very helpful.

whatever the price is, letting us all know as soon as possible would be smart, to give us time to save up. I expect this thing will be a lot more than the average monthly paycheck could cover! An expected release date and a ball park figure would be very helpful.

I'm sure this will cost SEVERAL monthly paychecks. Anyone interested can expect that this will be costly.

I just figured it out...the gloves being wrong was the easy part, but you mentioned it early on ;), but I finally figured...what it was that was bugging me about the helmet....

Gino if you.re there...remember at comic con I mentioned there was something that bugged me about the helmet, but I couldn't place my finger exactly on what it was because it was soooo close to being perfect?

I noticed the dome doesn't loom over the forehead the way I am used to seeing....because if im correct, he doesnt have that square of Velcro on his forehead on your sample were he usually does....the absence flattens his appearance...he needs that spacer to push the dome forward over his brow...

If you dont use velcro, just place a dense square spacer about 1/4" thick about 2 inches above the top of the nose bridge....

That's the only thing missing!! I stewed on this since comic cin, and i coulcnt figure it out til now...And it'll be perfect!!! The dome has to hover forward a bit to have that dome kinda pop out a tad as if that Velcro attachment is on the forehead...
-Patrick

This is important, let me know you gots it!!

They showed Han in Carbonite over a year ago and we don't even have that up for pre-order yet.

I'm really hoping that Boba Fett and Vader aren't just "vaporware" like the Alien Queen with Egg Diorama and a few other pieces that are sneaked and then disappear.

This could be a long wait guys . . . I'm talking years before the preorder even comes up . . .

Hope I'm wrong though.

Back