Your Dream Action Figure Store?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mojo

Just a little freaky
Reaction score
Hello All. There seems to be only a handful of established and trusted action figures/collectibles/toy store companies out there (not including small hobby stores). I'm referring to Sideshow, Toy-R-Us, Entertainment Earth, Big Bad Toy Store, etc. These companies are great, but seem to be either niche-focused (e.g., Sideshow. Not a bad thing BTW!) or over-saturated with countless products (e.g., Toys-R-Us).

I want to reach out to my fellow collectors to ask:

1) What would your dream/ideal Action Figure store look like? In other words, what would they carry? 1:1 to 1:18 Action figures only? Only new lines, only vintage & discontinued products, or both? Parts for customizers? New and used? MIB or loose figures? Polystone and props too? Only Action Figures? A place to hang out and chill kinda like the reading areas at bookstores? You get the point.

2) What would drive you there? Affordable Financing? New inventory with every product release? Services to Locate "vintage" and/or discontinued figures (e.g. Vintage Star Wars and/or Legacy Collection from several years ago, etc)? Services to display and sell customs? Loose, in-store product "samples" so you can actually touch before you buy?

3) This one is just for fun:
a: What would you name this store? Any cool ideas?
b: Would a themed decor be cool (online and brick-&-mortar)?

I know this is a lot so ANY feedback you can contribute will be greatly appreciated.

Yes, I am doing research for a serious venture. Since we collectors and enthusiasts are the core audience, I want to know what I can do to give you what you want. Go crazy- Your imagination is the only limit!

*My apologies if this is in the wrong area.

I'm not putting a ton of thought into this, but, when I see stores like "Secret Base" and "Toy-Sapiens" in HK, I wish we had stores like that in the states, even if they were relegated to the bigger cities; just stores that specialize in high-end Collectibles. Hell, Sideshow ought to just open a few stores in California or something. Stores that carry their products, as well as those of the companies for which they handle domestic distribution.

I'm not putting a ton of thought into this, but, when I see stores like "Secret Base" and "Toy-Sapiens" in HK, I wish we had stores like that in the states, even if they were relegated to the bigger cities; just stores that specialize in high-end Collectibles...

I like the idea of high-end collectibles only. The thing about that is pricing. There would have to be a bump in price to cover the cost of doing business. Maybe sold-out collectibles would work...items that already established a bump in value over original retail? A store like this has a chance to do well. Another key factor would be getting current 1/18 & 1/8 collectors in the door so they can see why people like us pay for the higher-end figures. There is a high resistance to the cost.

Thanks for your feedback!

Last edited:
Shopping online is better. A store front would cause the prices to be higher.

Like or hate it, ebay has everything.

I'm not putting a ton of thought into this, but, when I see stores like "Secret Base" and "Toy-Sapiens" in HK, I wish we had stores like that in the states, even if they were relegated to the bigger cities; just stores that specialize in high-end Collectibles. Hell, Sideshow ought to just open a few stores in California or something. Stores that carry their products, as well as those of the companies for which they handle domestic distribution.

I don't know a lot about real estate, but globally I have to assume that the cost of building and running a high end retail store in Hong Kong is a pittance compared to a comparable store in the U.S, especially California.

I don't know a lot about real estate, but globally I have to assume that the cost of building and running a high end retail store in Hong Kong is a pittance compared to a comparable store in the U.S, especially California.

Are you kidding - the real estate and leasing costs in HK are beyond ridiculous !! :lol

Back