Tunisia trip - Star Wars locations included

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trust me it is a unique experience! Tunisia is the place where many movies were filmed besides Star Wars, actors like Angelina Jolie or Elisabeth Taylor enjoyed spending their time there. A beautiful country with warm and friendly people.There are many SW locations at least 7-8 of them hundreds of km's away one from another. There are from OT and from PT. :)

Can't wait to visit Tunisia again next year and maybe to go to Sidi Driss Hotel to see the Lars homestead. It is in Matmata village where lots of troglodytes houses are, and it is in perfect condition, tourists from every corner of the world come to see this.

Or to visit the Ajim village on Djerba island (Ben Kenobi's house), Ksar Hadada/Medenine where the Slave quarters ere in TPM (excellent condition), Chott el Jerid where general Rommel had his tanks pass this salt lake and where the beautiful desert roses are made by nature and where Luke is watching the 2 suns set.

Besides the Star Wars stuff there are tons of other things to visit in Tunisia: bazaars, wonderful European/Arabian architecture, museums, Carthage ruins, Roman ruins (the El Jem Coliseum is older than the one in Rome Italy by 200 years, and in much better condition), Mediterranean beaches, wonderful palm tree oasis and the mighty desert.

Tunisia is one of the safest Arabian/African countries. You should stick with the common tourist routes and will not have any problems. I've seen hundreds of foreign tourists from all over the world there: Italians (we had a nice couple in our hotel), Germans (a family of 4 in our hotel too), Dutch, Polish, Hungarian (we went together in the south with the Hungarians), Australians (a tall guy with a great sense of humor at the Mehari hotel with his wife and daughters), Japanese, Koreans etc. One of my neighbors also left yesterday for Hammamet Tunisia, she saw my photo album last year and she and her husband were so impressed that they decided to go this year. I can't wait to go again next year.

People are very warm and friendly, they are not fundamentalists, no interest in terrorism or so. They live from tourism and small commerce with leather products, olive oil and traditional handicraft products. On Djerba island there is a Jewish community for hundreds of years and there were never problems in this Muslim country. It is a very modern and civilized country, great roads, excellent hotels and services. You'll see lot of modern influences: French, Arabian, African.

My trip to Tunisia video with almost everything I visited: Sousse, Port El Kantaoui, El Djem Coliseum, Matmata (troglodyte house), Douz, Tamerza oasis, Chebika oasis, Chott El Jerid salt lake, Keirouan holy city, Sidi Bou Said (blue & white city), Tunis (capital), Carthage ruins, Mediterranean sea, Star Wars movie locations etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7soENedvCY

Plus the Star Wars movie set in the desert video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guAohSZse7Y

Cool stuff m8y, i went to Tunisia once but the girlfriend wasn't interested in travelling to see the sets grrrr.

Cool stuff m8y, i went to Tunisia once but the girlfriend wasn't interested in travelling to see the sets grrrr.

Go again and without her ;) The desert in the south where the Star Wars locations are is awesome. Ksar Hadada and Medenine, Chott el Jerid where general Rommel had his tanks pass this salt lake and where the beautiful desert roses are made by nature, El Jem Amphitheatre older than the one in Rome and in better conditions.

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/Y7soENedvCY&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/Y7soENedvCY&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

It amazed me that the local kids know just about every language lol. Also did u see any Jawas walking about? i saw a few. I couldn't handle going again i cant handle that kind of heat lol.

The best period to go is in March/April or October, months when there is not so much heat. Last year I sent greeting cards with SW locations directly from Tunisia. Some members on Rebelscum and POTF2 forum received my cards. :)

When going next year I'm going to collect more addresses from friends and members and send them cards from Tunisia.

back in 98 or 99 I almost had a chance to go but my boss at the time blew it (he wasn't interested in international business???) guess that general attitude is why he's no longer in business.

Thank you. Due to my recent health problems and high medical bills the trip to Tatooine was postponed

Back