The Cabin in the Woods

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didnt think it was nearly as good as it was made out to be. The best parts were the "collection" of bad guys which for some reason reminded me of Waxwork, and the Gods busting through at the end. I preferred Drag Me to Hell over this for a Raimi film.

I think the humor was very Raimi style. :dunno
Plus plenty of irony like the dude who keeps wanting the Mermen to get some action...:lol

Eh. A little bit of Raimi's humor. He does deal with more slapstick, and punchy one liners.

Not saying you're wrong, but I didn't get a huge Raimi vibe. But it is in it's core.

It took me awhile, but I finally got around to seeing this tonight. I am a big Joss Whedon fan and I went into this spoiler-free. I have to say that I was a bit disappointed with it overall. It just kind of left me wondering what the hype was all about. I want to make clear that I enjoyed Joss Whedon's typical style of dark comedy/humor, but I just felt like the ending was a bit of a letdown. Maybe it is because I am too familiar with Whedon's style that I wasn't too surprised by anything that happened, but I kept hoping it was going to surprise me with some big twist. I think that is why I felt let down by it. Decent movie and Fran Krantz made this movie IMO, but other than that not something I would see more than once.

I enjoyed this movie more once I realized it wasn't a horror movie. IMO this is a comedy. Like Army of Darkness.

^ I will actually 100% agree with that. Not that I needed it to be, but yes. It doesn't have that Raimi style.

It took me awhile, but I finally got around to seeing this tonight. I am a big Joss Whedon fan and I went into this spoiler-free. I have to say that I was a bit disappointed with it overall. It just kind of left me wondering what the hype was all about. I want to make clear that I enjoyed Joss Whedon's typical style of dark comedy/humor, but I just felt like the ending was a bit of a letdown. Maybe it is because I am too familiar with Whedon's style that I wasn't too surprised by anything that happened, but I kept hoping it was going to surprise me with some big twist. I think that is why I felt let down by it. Decent movie and Fran Krantz made this movie IMO, but other than that not something I would see more than once.

I finally saw it last night myself, have to say I feel the same way. I'm glad I didn't throw down cash for a DVD or blueray. It was a descently entertaining movie, it just wasn't what I thought it would be. The ending was a let down for me too with the whole big Titanesque type god thing being the revealing plot.

I enjoyed this movie more once I realized it wasn't a horror movie. IMO this is a comedy. Like Army of Darkness.

Yea, I went in thinking it would be a solid horror flick, didn't feel like one for the second half of the movie. I'm not even sure how I would classify it, but it's not a break through horror film a lot of people made it out to be.

^ It is. But not in the way you think it is.

It's not break through as in, it does something that changes the entire world. It literally breaks through and says **** horror movies, change your ****, or get out.

This movie is hilarious and awesome. it took a complete turn from what I expected. The unicorn part had me in tears and so did the mermaid.

This movie is hilarious and awesome. it took a complete turn from what I expected. The unicorn part had me in tears and so did the mermaid.

zoolander.jpg

MerMAN!

I don't think most people gave it a real chance. They brought their own preconceived notions with them. That ruined the film for them.

I went in knowing it was a comedy and Joss Whedon wrote and produced it. Thats's it.

Well damn looking at the trailers I had no idea it was a comedy. Felt sorry for Thor when he ran into the force field but I lol'd cuz it was so unexpected.

I loved it. Been a horror fan since I was a child and have spent most of my adult life annoyed by the endless clichéd slasher movies of the last 20 years. I appreciated that this film put a big spot light on the stupidity and ridiculousness of formula slasher/horror film. It made efforts to show no normal human would makes the idiot decisions the slasher fodder make without being doped up, and the only one seeing the stupidity of it all is the one who actually is doped up. It was also great to see a poke at Japanese formula horror, which is far removed from American slasher and focuses on ghost stories. It was a "look how hard we don't try at being original" slap in the face to the genre as a whole. I thought the movie was satire turned up to 11.

I don't think its a "comedy", though there are many moments to laugh out loud at.

I loved it. Been a horror fan since I was a child and have spent most of my adult life annoyed by the endless clichéd slasher movies of the last 20 years. I appreciated that this film put a big spot light on the stupidity and ridiculousness of formula slasher/horror film. It made efforts to show no normal human would makes the idiot decisions the slasher fodder make without being doped up, and the only one seeing the stupidity of it all is the one who actually is doped up. It was also great to see a poke at Japanese formula horror, which is far removed from American slasher and focuses on ghost stories. It was a "look how hard we don't try at being original" slap in the face to the genre as a whole. I thought the movie was satire turned up to 11.

I don't think its a "comedy", though there are many moments to laugh out loud at.

:clap:clap:clap

This.

Satire is a better word then comedy.

i only just caught this yesterday. i thought it was awesome. i had absolutely no idea what it was about and thought i was about to see another "mutants in the woods" crappy horror and was ready to be bored out of my mind. very pleasantly surprised.

interestingly, my mother, a big fan of the "mutants in the woods" crappy gorefest genre didn't like it. she said it was silly and didn't get it. so there you go. i have asked her to disown me and will be looking for prospective adoption candidates shortly. look for my thread in the for sale section.

^ It is. But not in the way you think it is.

It's not break through as in, it does something that changes the entire world. It literally breaks through and says **** horror movies, change your ****, or get out.

Did any of you ever watch the tv series Angel when it was on a few years back? The Cabin in the Woods felt like an R rated episode of Angel for me. I thought the movie was decent, but like I said in my earlier post, it wasn't anything ground breaking for me, just more of Joss Whedon's satirical humor (which I like) mixed into a horror-themed premise with harsher language, violence and some boobies. So I wasn't too surprised by the movie. Yes, the unicorn, the mermen, the betting and Japanese horror parody were funny - but that is Joss Whedon's style in everything he does from Buffy to Firefly to The Dollhouse and even the Avengers. Most Whedon fans come to expect that from a Whedon production. I guess if you were unfamiliar with Whedon's previous work, then those elements of the movie would surprise you. While the lack of surprise did disappoint me a little, I think the ending is what let me down the most. It ended abruptly and fell kind of flat to me.

Back