1/6 TDKR: Catwoman Mask: Have you broken it?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Did you break them, did you?

• Total voters
Oh hell. Mine's broken. Hope sideshow replaces it.

It's a cool fig otherwise.

I was putting it on the head and then SNAP I was being so careful! Anyone talk to Sideshow about this issue? I was doing so well until I had to flip the goggles around. It broke at the connecting pin.

I have now seated the mask properly on her head, an the broken piece does not even line up to her head! Either something got bent, or this mask was faulty and never fit the head properly to begin with. Hopefully Sideshow can get replacement masks.

I think my note to people putting their masks on. Take the head off before doing it! Also make sure the mask is placed perfectly even on both sides. If you are even a little off, that thing WILL snap.

attachment.php

Last edited:
It looks like it won't line up simply because it's no longer connected. I think part of the problem with all these is that the arms are under constant pressure. The arms are supposed to curve inward to meet the goggles, which is movie accurate. However, rather than being cast in a curved shape to accommodate this, they were cast straight. This means they are constantly wanting to straighten themselves out again, putting pressure on the connecting pins and the arms themselves, and the plastic they used on them is simply to thin and brittle to handle it.

In other words, the goggles are tilted because they're no longer connected to the other arm to pull them back in toward the center.

Last edited:
It looks like it won't line up simply because it's no longer connected. I think part of the problem with all these is that the arms are under constant pressure. The arms are supposed to curve inward to meet the goggles, which is movie accurate. However, rather than being cast in a curved shape to accommodate this, they were cast straight. This means they are constantly wanting to straighten themselves out again, putting pressure on the connecting pins and the arms themselves, and the plastic they used on them is simply to thin and brittle to handle it.

In other words, the broken part is tilted because it's no longer connected to the other arm to pull it back in toward the center.

That makes complete sense.... or actually it doesnt. A horrible design decision on their part thats for sure. The fact that it is under constant pressure makes me wonder how the goggles will fare over time while attached to the head. I think putting it on top of the head adds even more pressure to it.

I was putting it on the head and then SNAP I was being so careful! Anyone talk to Sideshow about this issue? I was doing so well until I had to flip the goggles around. It broke at the connecting pin.

I have now seated the mask properly on her head, an the broken piece does not even line up to her head! Either something got bent, or this mask was faulty and never fit the head properly to begin with. Hopefully Sideshow can get replacement masks.

I think my note to people putting their masks on. Take the head off before doing it! Also make sure the mask is placed perfectly even on both sides. If you are even a little off, that thing WILL snap.

In other words, the goggles are tilted because they're no longer connected to the other arm to pull them back in toward the center.

Exactly. Mine looked just like that.

That makes complete sense.... or actually it doesnt. A horrible design decision on their part thats for sure. The fact that it is under constant pressure makes me wonder how the goggles will fare over time while attached to the head. I think putting it on top of the head adds even more pressure to it.

What's worse is I have a gut feeling that the mask was one of the major delays for this figure. So the final product was most likely the design Hot Toys found to be acceptable after multiple versions.

They must've been breaking them left and right before they even settled on this one. I know I'm speculating this, but given the utter simplicity of the rest of the figure, I'm probably not too far off. The goggles and the way the head sculpt interacted with them.

At any rate, you'd think they would have gone with a more flexible and less brittle material to make the goggles. :cuckoo:

I did that, actually, and it was still nerve-wracking as HELL.:horror
:lol

Okay. I don't have mine til later today and was just curious why people didn't rotate them first. I would think it would be easier to do it then rather than when the goggles are on the head. I will be sweating bullets doing this later , no doubt. :rotfl

Okay. I don't have mine til later today and was just curious why people didn't rotate them first. I would think it would be easier to do it then rather than when the goggles are on the head. I will be sweating bullets doing this later , no doubt. :rotfl

Honestly man, you will. Not trying to freak you out. :dunno

Just take deep breaths and...

DON'T.

FORCE.

ANYTHING.

:lol

Why can't the goggles be rotated to the cat ears before the mask is put on the head? It seems that is when everyone's mask has broken.

Thats exactly how I did it. It was easier to get a feel for how the goggles moved and rotated while they were still off the head. Mine are on safely but I'm still not happy with the hair and I'm wondering when the tension on the goggles is just be too much and POP. :panic::horror:gah:

Thats exactly how I did it. It was easier to get a feel for how the goggles moved and rotated while they were still off the head. Mine are on safely but I'm still not happy with the hair and I'm wondering when the tension on the goggles is just be too much and POP. :panic::horror:gah:

Yup. Right there with you. I'm happy where they are and that I didn't break them...YET.

Let's just say my super glue is at the ready.:lol

we need a second poll:

a.) broken them already.

b.) still haven't broken them.

c.) breakage is imminent.

mine are still intact, though i have handled them very little.

Also, I bet a lot of those who have voted 'not broken' will break them at some point. Poll doesn't show that.

I got a response from Sideshow via email today after going through their website last week and then calling them two days ago. They said due to circumstances beyond their control, they have not received their full allotment in order to handle replacements. I have been put on a waitlist for a replacement figure or I can get a full refund if I want to return her now.

I sent a response asking if I can just get the goggles/mask replaced (which is what I asked for originally anyway) so I am waiting to hear back on that... The longer I have her, the more she is growing on me... I would rather not return her for refund but I am not sure I want to keep her without her mask/goggles as she just isn't Catwoman without them.

I got a response from Sideshow via email today after going through their website last week and then calling them two days ago. They said due to circumstances beyond their control, they have not received their full allotment in order to handle replacements. I have been put on a waitlist for a replacement figure or I can get a full refund if I want to return her now.

I sent a response asking if I can just get the goggles/mask replaced (which is what I asked for originally anyway) so I am waiting to hear back on that... The longer I have her, the more she is growing on me... I would rather not return her for refund but I am not sure I want to keep her without her mask/goggles as she just isn't Catwoman without them.

****! Again SS? This is what they are doing with every HT release nowadays, the Batmobile also. They know people won't want to give up their figures to go on a wait list. It's **** really.

****! Again SS? This is what they are doing with every HT release nowadays, the Batmobile also. They know people won't want to give up their figures to go on a wait list. It's **** really.

Thats a load of crap. Any business should know to keep extra allocations of a product available for returns, etc. I am in your boat and am now communicating with Sideshow about replacement goggles. Fortunately the figure is presentable right now as it stands. I could possibly fix with some glue, but it is almost easier to deal with it the way it is.

I also have the exclusive edition, which would be really rough to jump on a waitlist for.

They just responded to my follow up email requesting just the goggles/mask. They are shipping it out and I should have them in 7-10 days. I then need to destroy the original within five days and send them a picture showing proof (they already are destroyed!) or they will charge me for the goggles (no price listed on how much that would be).

They recommend that I put the goggles in a pillow case and then hit them with a hammer! The goggles are already loose from the mask so that wont be hard but the mask itself wont crush.

I was hoping they would let me keep the broken ones then I would glue them and leave them on the head and NEVER touch the new ones again.

Back