Sovereign Studio: all outstanding orders coming soon!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To be fair some of this was discussed before in the Keaton Batman thread and as far as I know grievances aired at that time were addressed by Shawn and **I think** dealt with.

Shawn doesn't visit here a lot, mainly to deal with orders and post work. Like most customizers I think he spends more time working on figures than chatting about them. So for now, lets not get pitchforks just yet and give Shawn a chance.

My buddy just recieved a figure from him last week, so stuff is coming... just a bit slower than we might like.

The infomation i was handed was disturbing enough for me to email him with a choice.
Mr Barlow is also a hard working artist but he kept me up to date at all times and delivered on time. So there isnt any excuse really im afraid.

I was one of shawns biggest supporters (read my past posts) however iv heard one to many bad stories now and i believe a few of us have been kept waiting way to long now

Last edited:
I question the ethics of posting grievances against resident customisers in their own threads and i don't think it should be done.

Is there a "bad trader/seller" thread around here? Forgive me if I've missed it, I'm still pretty new to the forums, and maybe there's not a lot of problems around here which would be great. Otherwise, I can't think of a better place to post these kinds of criticisms since this is where people are coming to spend their money. I agree with all your other comments.

There is a feedback thread in the commerce section... although to access you need to have over 50 posts.

To update the thread, i have been contacted by Shawn and he replied to my worries i suggest anyone else who was just as worried as contact him direct. He is a reasonable guy, i find that he replies right away via PM`ing him here

Well, I'm still gonna give Shawn a chance here. I know most are fustrated and have been waiting longer than me, but I am still going to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I understand your point calvarenga, as I do many custom art projects for myself and others (not figures), and it's sooo hard to find the time to work on the things I enjoy. . . BUT I've got to come out in zedex9r's corner. We're not alone either it seems, since I noticed another complaint in one of his threads (about a missing Indiana Jones figure I think).

I bought a Keaton figure from Shawn more than 4 years ago, and Shawn has not recitified the problems with my figure. He was a pleasure to deal with during the initial transaction, and the (magnificent-looking) figure came remarkably fast. After a few days, the rubber part of the gloves developed a tear. Shawn was again very nice and indicated that it was probably a bad batch of rubber with too much dye. He offered to send replacements since I was okay with attaching them myself. Nothing came and he didn't reply to my next two emails. Then 10 months later he finally replied to another email with an excuse about a computer crash. Still nothing came. He replied again the next year and blamed the wife for deleting emails. No replacements arrived and no further reply.

I contacted him once the following year, but I'd pretty well given up. I tried contacting some ebay custom sellers looking for just the gloves to no avail. Then I found this site a few months ago, and I PMed him, but I see that he doesn't mind that very closely. I've never once taken an angry tone, and I haven't bombarded him with messages. At this point, I'd happily pay for the replacement gloves so I can display this beautiful figure with his hands showing. Anyways, I hate having to air this out in the forum, but I can't get any reply by email or PM, and it's my experience that Shawn is not altogether reliable.

Anyways, as long as I'm bringing it up, is there anyone else that can help me out with a set of replacement gauntlets? My figure has plastic/resin hands and fins/blades while the rest of the glove is rubbery. I'd be alright with one piece molded gloves/hands, since I'm comfortable enough with that kind of mod. Here's an image of the figure when the gloves were starting to fall apart. Not long after the photos, they both detached completely.

batglovetear.jpg

Looks unrepairable. You should sell him to me.:D But really, if you're ever interested in selling him I've been looking for one of Shawn's earlier Bats for a while. Anyways, Jon of CustomWorkz can probably hook you up with a set of molded hands/gauntlets.

Well, I'm still gonna give Shawn a chance here. I know most are fustrated and have been waiting longer than me, but I am still going to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I have done the same, i gave Shawn till the end of next month to post my order...He was very reasonable as was i. I have read a few bad experiences people have had with him but i have also read good ones so i will give him one more chance :)

To update the thread, i have been contacted by Shawn and he replied to my worries i suggest anyone else who was just as worried as contact him direct. He is a reasonable guy, i find that he replies right away via PM`ing him here

PM'd Shawn here on Jan 13th regarding Newts and the message still is unopened two weeks later...he must be really busy...will just have to keep waiting until he catches up and replies.

A lot of stuff to answer for here, hope I hit everything. :monkey3

Yes, stuff IS going out right now. Not as fast as I had hoped, but it's going. As I mentioned to morethanatimelord, I can be very obsessive getting stuff right, even that occassionally means grinding to a halt in a run because I've discovered a better way to do something.

All of the Crows are out, keep your eyes peeled.

5 Newts in production, that will cap off that list as soon as the bodies arrive. Got bags of parts here, waiting for those.

The Keaton Batman figures are being put together now. Yes, a couple of these are FAR overdue. The one mentioned, that's zedx9r. I actually had shipped his and it disappeared in route to Australia. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen. I have no problem at all replacing it! It went missing while I was retooling the design and figured, if I have to replace it, better to replace it with one of the new ones. I was damned determined to get him more instep with the look of the HT Batman line; rubber costume, multiple heads, etc. I've got it there, through much obsession and it seems a big hit to my reputation around here. MWILBURY .... I do remember you from a few years ago, the glove situation. I lost contact with you via email, didn't realize you were a member here. PM me, I have several pairs of gloves made up.

The Mola Ram figures are being done now, as well. When that unexpected run came in, I started to work on them right away. But after I cast a couple of the old style heads and painted them, they just didn't cut it. I was never that thrilled with my work on that 5 years ago when I first did it, and it sure as Hell didn't cut it with regard to where the current standard is, where my skill level is, and with what clients deserve. There are progress photos of that project in this thread, I think. And when you see those vs. the old version, you'll understand why I did it.

I'm sorry I'm not around here that much. I wish I could be. I spend about 95% of my life in my windowless little studio doing this stuff. Like Les Walker, this is my only job and I work entirely alone. I'm not partying and collecting money from you guys. No, I'm on it seven days a week, from the time I wake up until I go to bed. I don't party, I don't socialize and I have no friends aside from those online. I spend a chunk of the week days playing taxi (we have one car) but other than that, I'm working on something. I do get slapped occassionally for my turn-around. But not for quality. I've done rush jobs, and I've cringed at the feedback over those. It was never anything too terrible, but I hate even the smallest thing to some back like that. I've done this professionally for 8 years now. I define myself entirely on my value as an artist. If my work has no value, then neither do I as a person. I'm one of the more well-known figure makers, and I think that's because of what I deliver, not so much when. I'M CORRECTING THAT RIGHT NOW!!! Being behind, pissing people off and being unable to move forward and earn money sure isn't the way I want to be working. This business is the first thing I've done where I haven't been a failiure. Losing your respect and confidence as an artist is NOT the direction I want to go in. I've said where that leads.

The fact is, I spend FAR too much time making upgrades to stuff. I like my work to be the best it can be, and I have a fragile ego. When I find a better way to make something, man..... I just can't let it go. Many of you know how long I've fought this Keaton Batman upgrade. Had I not gotten it to work, the project would have been a failure, and therefore I would be a failure. When I read even a slight complaint about anything that's "off" or could have been better my first instinct is to go back and do it again, eveen if orders are piling up. It's a very good thing, and a very bad thing at the same time. I don't intentionally run behind, and it sure is NOT my intention to steal anyone's money. As this is my job, that would be incredibly stupid. It's also incredibly stressful to be behind; definitely not something I would do to myself on purpose. And with people being upset with me now, that makes it all worse. Like I said, very fragile ego and it makes me question all sorts of things; my future on this board (if I still have one), my future with this work, the quality of my work, the value of my work and myself etc., etc.
After I've caught up, I may end up leaving the board, I don't know. It can be amazing how fast confidences are gained and lost and to what extent, so time will tell. With the place I've put myself in with you guys regarding my slow pace things seem to be pointing in that direction. Hopefully not! I'm done with all the upgrades to my catalog I wanted to make which, as I've said, is where a butt-load of my time has been going. If you guys still want me, I will be able to work on a normal schedule and actually get stuff done in a reasonable amount of time. And, I can use weekends for developing new stuff.

8th wonder.... I wish I could offer you a refund (I normally try to work those in) but at the moment I can't. Right now I'm trying to figure out how to save my house, but that's a long story that doesn't belong in here. You had said your biggest issue was loss of interest in the figure. I can offer you something else, if you like.

8th wonder.... I wish I could offer you a refund (I normally try to work those in) but at the moment I can't. Right now I'm trying to figure out how to save my house, but that's a long story that doesn't belong in here. You had said your biggest issue was loss of interest in the figure. I can offer you something else, if you like.

No problem Shawn, i almost feel like an assh%le asking for the refund, i mean you work hard on your figures. The reason is; i try to stay away from to much rubber in collectibles nowadays so i bought a horizon batman returns model kit so that i can still have a Keaton Batman. Anyway no refund needed your house is more important. I might want something else, will have to think about that.

thanks

Last edited:
Just wanted to throw in that I just Saturday got my custom made Sovereign Indy Raiders style jacket for my personal custom 12" figure, AND IT ROCKS!!!!! GUYS! You HAVE to invest in one! It MAKES my Indy figure! Amazing work! It did take time, and the guy is busy, so bear with him, as his work is worth any wait!
Just wanted to let the guys know. Pics to come soon. Thanks Shawn for the awesome coat! It finishes a project started in the mid '90's. :rock

Thats a very honest appraisal there Shawn. I'm sure i speak for all when i say i hope you don't leave this board. I've said previously in another thread that i think you're a pioneer amongst the other customisers here. I'm always interested to see what new works you create.
I appreciate you perhaps dislike criticism however surely as an artist you realise your work is there to be critiqued?
Keep up the work and dont go!

A lot of stuff to answer for here, hope I hit everything. :monkey3

Yes, stuff IS going out right now. Not as fast as I had hoped, but it's going. As I mentioned to morethanatimelord, I can be very obsessive getting stuff right, even that occassionally means grinding to a halt in a run because I've discovered a better way to do something.

All of the Crows are out, keep your eyes peeled.

5 Newts in production, that will cap off that list as soon as the bodies arrive. Got bags of parts here, waiting for those.

The Keaton Batman figures are being put together now. Yes, a couple of these are FAR overdue. The one mentioned, that's zedx9r. I actually had shipped his and it disappeared in route to Australia. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen. I have no problem at all replacing it! It went missing while I was retooling the design and figured, if I have to replace it, better to replace it with one of the new ones. I was damned determined to get him more instep with the look of the HT Batman line; rubber costume, multiple heads, etc. I've got it there, through much obsession and it seems a big hit to my reputation around here. MWILBURY .... I do remember you from a few years ago, the glove situation. I lost contact with you via email, didn't realize you were a member here. PM me, I have several pairs of gloves made up.

The Mola Ram figures are being done now, as well. When that unexpected run came in, I started to work on them right away. But after I cast a couple of the old style heads and painted them, they just didn't cut it. I was never that thrilled with my work on that 5 years ago when I first did it, and it sure as Hell didn't cut it with regard to where the current standard is, where my skill level is, and with what clients deserve. There are progress photos of that project in this thread, I think. And when you see those vs. the old version, you'll understand why I did it.

I'm sorry I'm not around here that much. I wish I could be. I spend about 95% of my life in my windowless little studio doing this stuff. Like Les Walker, this is my only job and I work entirely alone. I'm not partying and collecting money from you guys. No, I'm on it seven days a week, from the time I wake up until I go to bed. I don't party, I don't socialize and I have no friends aside from those online. I spend a chunk of the week days playing taxi (we have one car) but other than that, I'm working on something. I do get slapped occassionally for my turn-around. But not for quality. I've done rush jobs, and I've cringed at the feedback over those. It was never anything too terrible, but I hate even the smallest thing to some back like that. I've done this professionally for 8 years now. I define myself entirely on my value as an artist. If my work has no value, then neither do I as a person. I'm one of the more well-known figure makers, and I think that's because of what I deliver, not so much when. I'M CORRECTING THAT RIGHT NOW!!! Being behind, pissing people off and being unable to move forward and earn money sure isn't the way I want to be working. This business is the first thing I've done where I haven't been a failiure. Losing your respect and confidence as an artist is NOT the direction I want to go in. I've said where that leads.

The fact is, I spend FAR too much time making upgrades to stuff. I like my work to be the best it can be, and I have a fragile ego. When I find a better way to make something, man..... I just can't let it go. Many of you know how long I've fought this Keaton Batman upgrade. Had I not gotten it to work, the project would have been a failure, and therefore I would be a failure. When I read even a slight complaint about anything that's "off" or could have been better my first instinct is to go back and do it again, eveen if orders are piling up. It's a very good thing, and a very bad thing at the same time. I don't intentionally run behind, and it sure is NOT my intention to steal anyone's money. As this is my job, that would be incredibly stupid. It's also incredibly stressful to be behind; definitely not something I would do to myself on purpose. And with people being upset with me now, that makes it all worse. Like I said, very fragile ego and it makes me question all sorts of things; my future on this board (if I still have one), my future with this work, the quality of my work, the value of my work and myself etc., etc.
After I've caught up, I may end up leaving the board, I don't know. It can be amazing how fast confidences are gained and lost and to what extent, so time will tell. With the place I've put myself in with you guys regarding my slow pace things seem to be pointing in that direction. Hopefully not! I'm done with all the upgrades to my catalog I wanted to make which, as I've said, is where a butt-load of my time has been going. If you guys still want me, I will be able to work on a normal schedule and actually get stuff done in a reasonable amount of time. And, I can use weekends for developing new stuff.

That is a very honest and heart felt message Shawn and i thank you for posting. Boards such as this need guys like you to breathe new life into customizing, iam an ebay seller and i understand just how much things can run away from you when it comes to posting out deliveries. I have a Indiana Jones Jornal commission going on at the moment and its going to take me months to complete and im already a month behind!

Thanks again Shawn

kind regards
Tony

Just wanted to throw in that I just Saturday got my custom made Sovereign Indy Raiders style jacket for my personal custom 12" figure, AND IT ROCKS!!!!! GUYS! You HAVE to invest in one! It MAKES my Indy figure! Amazing work!

I already invested in the whole kit!

:rock

Can't wait for it. Just need to get a damn HT body. :rolleyes:

Shawn...and other customizers,

I don't think anyone wants you guys to leave or get offended. I think what happens is folks start to get antsy about putting up good money WAYYYYY in advance of recieving any product. Now this is certainly understandable that it would take some time...all art work does. But when you start approaching time frames like 8-12 months when you had to drop full payment right away just to get on the list, it gets kinda hairy when you don't hear much about the status of said payment or product. Life issues happen, hell they happen to all of us but at the end of the day your work is your art and your art is your business and your business is your livelihood. So to that end, you have to be a good stuart of your business and your clients. Even just posting your pics and updates your making on the figures so that your clients can understand what is going on.

I'll tell you this, posting pics of personal projects, new projects and offerings and projects that were developed long after said clients commission doesn't help the client understand why they have yet to receive their order. It does beg the question if that new posted work is not holding up their order...like the Crows shipping before the Keaton Bats. I understand why it happened but it might be worth it to make that clear to your clients. I'm not saying you are the only one. There are other popular artist here that have done the same thing with personal projects in particular.

So in a nut shell, just keep the communication open and freely coming. I myself have one order from you and would surely order more if I was sure that the Keaton Bats I ordered some 8 months ago wasn't the norm for you. I don't mind waiting, as you come highly recommended. But in all honesty, I am reluctant (with disposable cash being what it is) to place additional orders with you and several other artist here due to the fact that I may end up with two or more orders from one artist that are more than 6 months past due. I'm sure what you have created is gonna be awesome:banana, at least it looks that way in the pics but you gotta keep guys informed or things will over heat.

Stay on the boards and on the ball and I think we all will be happy, Bro!:D

shawn, you :rock.

i know things are often late, but he's one of the hardest working customizers i know. his work shows just how much of a perfectionist he is. these things take time guys. it is really hard waiting for a custom piece of work, especially if its getting to 12 months without much communication. and Lee in MI is also right that seeing newer stuff being sent out before old commissions is really hard, but i feel that most of the guys here (especially shawn, les, darren, josh, kuato who have such massive workloads at the moment) have always kept us updated on progress, especially if you drop them a quick email.

shawn is a perfectionist. he goes back to things to make them better. so things sometimes get out of the order they were received in but in the end you get a FAR better piece of blood, sweat and tears.

have faith my friends. shawn will deliver. i think he'll agree with me, however horribly honest this is, that he's not the best organised guy :D but he's fully admitted to this in the past. so when he says he lost an email, he means it. i genuinely don't think it's a malicious thing. he's a good guy. just have faith.

Shawn, thanks for the communication. Hell you can take as much time as you need, for I really don't care about that as long as there is some kind of communication/updates(once, twice a month) just to keep us in the know. I do see you put in a lot in your work and that you try to offer stuff that a lot of us want which is one of the many reasons that I choosed to purchase from you. I appreciate your honesty and can't wait to see the final products. Thanks

Back