Modification/Customization for the DX12 Batman Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally had the guts to paint his eyelids black...and man, what a big difference it makes to the cowl! I have anything but a steady hand...but with patience managed to do a clean job. I'm taking it easy by doing mods I know I can handle...also did the electrical tape under the chest Armour to make neck shorter....now deciding whether to do gauntlet mod where gauntlets go over gloves. Here are some crappy iPhone pics!

Painted Eyelids:
0069B69F-B92C-4014-92DD-06C4FC9FCE46-3640-0000017D169961F0.jpg

Neck Mod:
4AE19470-6456-410E-BE41-798F278D0E2B-3640-0000017D1A0BDAA4.jpg

AC42A703-601E-4898-B655-5C0B495222F5-4702-0000021C1AF78BE9.jpg

Anyone have a suggestion for removing a scuff on the forehead?

I've used a bit of dawn dish soap and water on a micro-fiber cloth rotating in small circles in the past on some Iron Man figures and had scuffs come out, but was wondering if there's other suggestions?

Thanks!

guys! that eye lip mod is INSANE!!! but also insanely risky!!
is there a full tutorial with pictures and stuff, or is there a way without such a complicated method with the same effect?

I've never had the impression that the stock cowl isn't wide enough. It's just too flat in the back. Now, if I could heat it up and somehow make the back stick out more, that would be sweet.

By the way if anyone thinks they have damaged the Kevlar parts (I've noticed a few "stress" marks on some people's pics" there is a very easy fix, it's not a permanent problem.

Really eager to hear more about this. If we're talking about the same thing, I have several areas that could be fixed. :pray:

guys! that eye lip mod is INSANE!!! but also insanely risky!!
is there a full tutorial with pictures and stuff, or is there a way without such a complicated method with the same effect?

I didn't do the sculpted eyelids, cuz that was out of my league in terms of mods...I did the painted eyelids, which probably falls in line with your "least complicated method" question in terms of difficulty...at least to me since I can't sculpt lol. I took a fine brush (2/0 Round Brush), Acrylic Flat Black Paint, and lots of patience...moved his PERS so he's looking straight up (that way if I mess up..it's on part of his eye that won't show when eyes are placed normal..suggested by member here in earlier post). On the first page you will find all the Tutorials and videos for different mods! Truly great thread! :hi5:

Hi
Sorry, after read so many posts, still not sure how could I paint eyelid cowl without remove the inner part?

thank you

You don't have to remove the eyes, just have the eyes looking up so if you make a mistake, it won't ruin anything because you won't be able to see it.

I just had a thought...is it feasible to carve out a mouth plate for my batman begins cowl? I have the TDK OC, not the TFE version. It's a nice figure overall, but looking back on it now, the mouth plate is a little lacking, considering the TFE has 3 mouth plates.

Should I pick up another KO BW head and carve that sucker up?

So I cut open my DX12 from the entire "u" shape seam at the back that goes from the traps to the butt in order to remove the under suit padding.

However, once I got the bat-suit off, fiddled with the legs a bit, I ended up just opening the padded suit at the pelvis/hip connection b/c I for one didn't think he had thunder thighs and I didn't want to replace the foam padding with my last pair of thigh enhancers. I still get much more articulation than before w/o losing the thigh shape. It really wasn't a nightmare to sew back up either, doesn't even look like it's been tampered with which I'm happy about. as some know, I was very worried about doing this mod being able to match the seam back to how it originally was and all. Doing the last mod now, that being putting the shoulder pads in 2 pieces, then I'll be done unless I decide on getting Robbie's mouthpiece

I just had a thought...is it feasible to carve out a mouth plate for my batman begins cowl? I have the TDK OC, not the TFE version. It's a nice figure overall, but looking back on it now, the mouth plate is a little lacking, considering the TFE has 3 mouth plates.

that's not a bad idea. I would go for it. I mean why not right?

I bought a headplay Wayne sculpt off ebay for the purpose of cutting it up for my Medi cowl. - Despite my best efforts, I failed. The rubber was very hard to shape smoothly and the distance between his septum to the bottom of his chin never quite looked right on the sculpt so I gave up.
I'd love to see someone elses' attempts and maybe find out how to do it correctly if I try again.

So I cut open my DX12 from the entire "u" shape seam at the back that goes from the traps to the butt in order to remove the under suit padding.

However, once I got the bat-suit off, fiddled with the legs a bit, I ended up just opening the padded suit at the pelvis/hip connection b/c I for one didn't think he had thunder thighs and I didn't want to replace the foam padding with my last pair of thigh enhancers. I still get much more articulation than before w/o losing the thigh shape. It really wasn't a nightmare to sew back up either, doesn't even look like it's been tampered with which I'm happy about. as some know, I was very worried about doing this mod being able to match the seam back to how it originally was and all.

Hey man, you know you don't need to slice the suit open all the way down the back? just cut down near the armor line, then put two slices outward from the neck on the shoulders, then you can shimmy the whole suit down without damaging it anywhere visible? Sounds like you got it off ok anyway! Surprised you didn't take the thigh padding out, it looks great without it, and it isn't baggy at all.

I've never had the impression that the stock cowl isn't wide enough. It's just too flat in the back. Now, if I could heat it up and somehow make the back stick out more, that would be sweet.

Really eager to hear more about this. If we're talking about the same thing, I have several areas that could be fixed. :pray:

Looks better a little wider mate?, a little more like the Medi? well IMO anyway, like there is a head inside, marginal sure, but I can see an improvement in it. Haven't tried the back yet, sick of the figure for a while!
4-39.jpg

Regarding the teflon areas: When you bend them they get pale "stress" marks on them. Well at least that is what it looks like from the front, but it's not actually what is happening.
Hot Toys have very cleverly molded these pieces from clear plastic with the textural detail on the back, when you bend one the paint comes off the back creating those pale marks,
just repaint the BACK of the teflon piece to get rid of it, dark grey or black, and they are gone.:duff

Last edited:
Hey man, you know you don't need to slice the suit open all the way down the back? just cut down near the armor line, then put two slices outward from the neck on the shoulders, then you can shimmy the whole suit down without damaging it anywhere visible? Sounds like you got it off ok anyway! Surprised you didn't take the thigh padding out, it looks great without it, and it isn't baggy at all

I saw no need to since I liked the shape and since I got the articulation I wanted figured there was no need.

Also I find it funny it took HT 3 tries to do with what DCD did in 1 try. Granted DCD's attempt on their oversized muscular body just didn't work out exactly perfect but it is literally almost the exact same thing HT did here. Even with how the Carbon fiber pieces are made.

EDIT: also for got to add, I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding you, but I cut at the seam, didn't just slice anywhere, that way when i stitched it back together, I wouldn't be making a new seam so everything is still how it was originally. like I said, If I just showed the back, it wouldn't even looked like I opened it.

Last edited:
good for you! didn't need to cut it, but it sounds like you did just fine. and if you get the range of motion you want even without removing the padding, then it's all good.

don't know if you looked at the padding at all, but it only slightly increases the thighs ~ they are actually built big, so the removal doesn't make them skinny. just so you know.

WIP medi mouth piece. Need to make it sit deeper. I don't think I did a clean enough job cutting the mouth piece, it's not symmetrical.

medm4_zpse65f478d.jpg

Medm1_zpscce59926.jpg

Medm2_zpsa9a1e241.jpg

medm3_zpsdf35bb60.jpg

That looks awesome EKT!

But please don't tell me that was the Medicom sculpt you cut up? :thud:

Back