Statue J Scott Campbell Classic Spiderman Comiquette

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Then if they couldn't have been achieved on the production piece they shouldn't have been on the proto. I get that there will always be a difference between the proto and the production piece, but IMHO the changes here are actually worse than say the Rogue's ass changes because A) this is Spiderman we are talking about, and B) we aren't taking about a feature you won't see as it is turned towards the back of the display, it is all over his costume.

I totally agree with u man, last year my jaw dropped when I saw the trio together. That paint app was something I had never seen...I'm quite displeased with SS teasing a clearly different aproach for it and delivering this. Now it will look better with my future Grey Hulk :dunno

I totally agree with u man, last year my jaw dropped when I saw the trio together. That paint app was something I had never seen...I'm quite displeased with SS teasing a clearly different aproach for it and delivering this. Now it will look better with my future Grey Hulk :dunno

Sorry Legion I didn't notice your reply. My thing is that SSC always says how close they try to get their piece to the prototype in terms of paint and fabric apps. This really looks like a case where they KNEW they couldn't do it. If that was the case why advertise it. Show people what they are going to get, and let them make up their minds for real. Now there are loads of statues that they do a really good job getting close to the quality of the proto, but this just isn't a case where they managed to pull off a major component of the proto design that people have been RAVING about for almost a year. This is going to piss a lot of guys off. I know people have been angry for other pieces, but this is Spiderman, and way worse IMHO then PitGate or AssGate.

I must say. This piece would have been a great piece... If we hadn't been expecting to get that phenomenal paint job that was teased at SDCC.

That non glossy paint looks much better. Almost like a graffiti artist style. And secondly... The shading in the torso and upper legs/thighs looks terrible when compared to the proto.

I think it's about time sideshow makes the extra effort to guarantee similar quality paint. A sculpt turning out poorly in hand is more "acceptable" than poor quality paint. There is no possible excuse I would consider valid for a paint "mix up" like this.

I must say. This piece would have been a great piece... If we hadn't been expecting to get that phenomenal paint job that was teased at SDCC.

That non glossy paint looks much better. Almost like a graffiti artist style. And secondly... The shading in the torso and upper legs/thighs looks terrible when compared to the proto.

I think it's about time sideshow makes the extra effort to guarantee similar quality paint. A sculpt turning out poorly in hand is more "acceptable" than poor quality paint. There is no possible excuse I would consider valid for a paint "mix up" like this.

This isn't a mix up m8. It is a bait and switch. The reps float around these threads and knew what guys were expect. The Gwen and MJ pieces were so close to the Protos, I have to admit I don't know if I have ever seen pieces that were that close to the prototypes, that we were all super jazzed to see Spidey. Then they pull this. I have to admit, and it is totally illogical because I am not even getting this, but the more I look at it the angrier I get. It isn't even like guys can easily go out and get their pieces customized to look like the prototype. All of the weblines would have to be backfilled with Apoxy, and then sanded back down, and repainted by hand. A job like that could easily run you double the cost of the statue just for the paints, not to mention the sanding and backfilling. I thought for SURE that SSC had to have had a plan to get the line work done. I just couldn't see how they would show it on the proto, with such precision, and then turn around and have NO intention of doing it on the production pieces. It is inconceivable to me... This is amateur hour ********, not what you should expect from a company in its 20th year of production, and that is coming from ME. The guy everyone thinks is an SSC apologist, who is on their bankroll to say nice things about them.

Last edited:
I think these lines will be an issue... I have seen two like this now

957e01801f39774529aa5c411dda0354_zpsb378e447.jpg

I can't tell, but did the sculpt on the nose change too? Or is it just the angle?

I agree completely Spidey. With apocalypse I felt like it was a lot of nitpicking and overreactions. But this feels like a completely different piece... I'm starting to seriously worry. I have one piece from sideshow, 3 on order... I love how their protos look. But if they continually put out products that differ from what's advertised so greatly... I'll cut my loses, and wait for a company to take a dominant hold on the market.

Didn't Sideshow advertise the JSC line as using some "new" paint or procedure for the matte look during the interview with JSC?

Yeah they advertised some new type of highcontrast painting technique that they obviously used on Gwen and MJ.

I can't tell, but did the sculpt on the nose change too? Or is it just the angle?

Just they angle I think. Other then carving ruts into him I don't think they changed the sculpt much..:slap:horror.

I agree completely Spidey. With apocalypse I felt like it was a lot of nitpicking and overreactions. But this feels like a completely different piece... I'm starting to seriously worry. I have one piece from sideshow, 3 on order... I love how their protos look. But if they continually put out products that differ from what's advertised so greatly... I'll cut my loses, and wait for a company to take a dominant hold on the market.

You know how the vets have been telling you that "Just wait till you are really disappointed" line they have been throwing your way. Well this is my first ever kick in the face moment with SSC, and it isn't even for me. It is for my buds here that had one thing promised and then were given another, and regardless of whether or not my friends here still like the piece in the end it is crappy business, and SSC knows it.

Yeah looks well different. :( Mine will be here today so hopefully i love how he looks when he gets here. He might be on ebay by tonight. :lol

@Spidey

Yeah. I'm not getting this either. But I feel for those that have ordered it, and it makes me nervous for the pieces I've ordered. Haha. Yes the vets have said that often. Yes, I would love for my Cap and Hulk to show up as advertised... If I think they are unsatisfactory to my expectations, I will return them in a heartbeat. It will suck, but I also understand the risk of this hobby.

I have waited 23 years (tomorrow) for an awesome cap statue, I can wait some more if this one doesn't pan out. Haha. My reputation on this forum is for being crazy excited for the Cap PF, but I have been through a lot of grief, even at the young age of 23. It will suck, but I will move on...

To my second choice XM cap. Hahaha :wink1:

yeesh, this comparison hurts to look at. I keep wanting to like some of the posted pics but then I see the old one and...

Spider_Man_is_drunk_by_Ju_dreams.jpg

Yeah looks well different. :( Mine will be here today so hopefully i love how he looks when he gets here. He might be on ebay by tonight. :lol

I hate to say it, but I don't think you will be alone.

@Spidey

Yeah. I'm not getting this either. But I feel for those that have ordered it, and it makes me nervous for the pieces I've ordered. Haha. Yes the vets have said that often. Yes, I would love for my Cap and Hulk to show up as advertised... If I think they are unsatisfactory to my expectations, I will return them in a heartbeat. It will suck, but I also understand the risk of this hobby.

I have waited 23 years (tomorrow) for an awesome cap statue, I can wait some more if this one doesn't pan out. Haha. My reputation on this forum is for being crazy excited for the Cap PF, but I have been through a lot of grief, even at the young age of 23. It will suck, but I will move on...

LOL Dude I hope you get a piece that you want, but could you just imagine the **** kicking you would take if you went and got the XM Cap.... lol

I was only joking. I still like the statue but won't be happy with sloppy paint. I know it doesn't look like the proto but i need my Spiderman. :rock

Yeah. I'm not getting this either. But I feel for those that have ordered it, and it makes me nervous for the pieces I've ordered. Haha. Yes the vets have said that often. Yes, I would love for my Cap and Hulk to show up as advertised... If I think they are unsatisfactory to my expectations, I will return them in a heartbeat. It will suck, but I also understand the risk of this hobby. I have waited 23 years (tomorrow) for an awesome cap statue, I can wait some more if this one doesn't pan out. Haha. My reputation on this forum is for being crazy excited for the Cap PF, but I have been through a lot of grief, even at the young age of 23. It will suck, but I will move on...

To my second choice XM cap. Hahaha :wink1:

:rotfl

This isn't a mix up m8. It is a bait and switch. The reps float around these threads and knew what guys were expect. The Gwen and MJ pieces were so close to the Protos, I have to admit I don't know if I have ever seen pieces that were that close to the prototypes, that we were all super jazzed to see Spidey. Then they pull this. I have to admit, and it is totally illogical because I am not even getting this, but the more I look at it the angrier I get. It isn't even like guys can easily go out and get their pieces customized to look like the prototype. All of the weblines would have to be backfilled with Apoxy, and then sanded back down, and repainted by hand. A job like that could easily run you double the cost of the statue just for the paints, not to mention the sanding and backfilling. I thought for SURE that SSC had to have had a plan to get the line work done. I just couldn't see how they would show it on the proto, with such precision, and then turn around and have NO intention of doing it on the production pieces. It is inconceivable to me... This is armature hour ********, not what you should expect from a company in its 20th year of production, and that is coming from ME. The guy everyone thinks is an SSC apologist, who is on their bankroll to say nice things about them.

:goodpost:

Amateur hour indeed, armature hour is the hour after you open the production piece and take the shotgun to it. :lecture :wink1:

Feel the exact same way.

Didn't Sideshow advertise the JSC line as using some "new" paint or procedure for the matte look during the interview with JSC?

Great point buddy :goodpost: and we saw it in abundance for the MJ and Gwen pieces...what happened to Spidey? :dunno I guess I'd be kinda right in saying that about 60-70% of those who had ordered this were won over by the proto paint apps no? :dunno

Hope you like it mate...hopefully your pics will be able to clear up if there any flaws on the statue! What's been going on with Sideshow of late :huh these aren't just small imperfections...these are proper **** ups and in a way, false advertising! :lecture

Hope you like it mate...hopefully your pics will be able to clear up if there any flaws on the statue! What's been going on with Sideshow of late :huh these aren't just small imperfections...these are proper **** ups and in a way, false advertising! :lecture
Don't know mate. This is the first SSC statue i've bought in a long time. I said to my brother that it would be just like SSC to get Gwen & MJ perfect and **** Spidey up. :lol

Back