DUNE: Prophecy (HBO/Max Prequel Series)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll give it a spin.Have only read Dune and Dune Messiah. Children of Dune is supposed to be good, but after that the storytelling apparently goes off the deep end. It looks like they're tying into the movie aesthetics and streamlining the storytelling so it could be cool.

I'll give it a spin.Have only read Dune and Dune Messiah. Children of Dune is supposed to be good, but after that the storytelling apparently goes off the deep end. It looks like they're tying into the movie aesthetics and streamlining the storytelling so it could be cool.
I’ve only read the first two as well, I have to admit the trailer was pretty good and I’m looking forward to trying it out.

It might be watchable. I don't see the premature "woke" accusations when the Bene Gesserit storyline is so significant in Dune - If you really want to make those accusations then you'd have to do so with fairness throughout the Herbert Dune legacy dating back decades. There's a lot of it there to critique, if you choose to do that.

This is going to be about writing and performances more than anything else. Can the Dune legacy hold up on a small screen, or will it fall apart? This won't be Villeneuve's Dune and I just find that small screen series adaptations tend to be a bit cheap looking and fall short of the cinematic impressiveness that they piggyback off of. That's the nature of small scaled, lower budget TV adaptations. It will struggle to maintain the same level of world-building that Villeneuve succeeded with, so when production values suffer they have to survive on writing and performances more than anything.

A series like this is more of a literary reason to watch Dune than a cinematic one. We have more episodes, an extended storyline, a lot of protracted storytelling, all stuff that we can take back and ponder over and discuss with friends/fans over many months. It's workplace water cooler banter and something we discuss over drinks and dinner. But it's the writing and story we'll be discussing more than anything else.

I already saw some visual moments that made me cringe a little. It reminded me of the old Dune and Children of Dune mini-series' that felt cheap and often voluntarily forgettable. Those series' told the story, probably as best as could be told, but didn't do the heavy lifting of a convincing and immersive world-building. Set pieces, environments, costumes, production design, special effects mostly felt decorative and struggling to assist the story. This series will glaringly be piggybacking off the success of Villeneuve's Dune films (it already looks like they lifted some visual motifs), so it has to stand on its own in terms of writing and storytelling, along with some decent actor performances to really sell the concept. I think an intimate Bene Gesserit storyline, with all of the conspiratorial, metaphysical, spiritual and downright Shakespearean machinations could be a good approach for a small screen serialized Dune. Let's see how this goes.

HBO tends to spend tall dollars on show production so I’d be pretty sure it’ll be on a grand scale. It’ll be interesting to see how it plays out.

There’s another cool DUNE thing going on. Funcom is in the process of making an MMO called Dune: The Awakening. Funcom’s been at it for a long time so I’m expecting good things from them. Here’s a link..

https://duneawakening.com/

HBO tends to spend tall dollars on show production so I’d be pretty sure it’ll be on a grand scale. It’ll be interesting to see how it plays out.

There’s another cool DUNE thing going on. Funcom is in the process of making an MMO called Dune: The Awakening. Funcom’s been at it for a long time so I’m expecting good things from them. Here’s a link..

https://duneawakening.com/

I’ve been following this game closely, I’m not sold yet as Funcom can make some pretty lackluster games (Conan for example) I wish instead of the MMO route they wouldn’t went with a strictly single player game. It could be great though.

I’ve been following this game closely, I’m not sold yet as Funcom can make some pretty lackluster games (Conan for example) I wish instead of the MMO route they wouldn’t went with a strictly single player game. It could be great though.
We shall see. I played Conan when it was released long ago. It was a great game in the beginning. I played Anarchy Online for several years. It was so far ahead of its time back in 2002. The trailers they’ve shown look pretty good. I’m looking forward to seeing it come to fruition. Fingers crossed 🤞🏼

We shall see. I played Conan when it was released long ago. It was a great game in the beginning. I played Anarchy Online for several years. It was so far ahead of its time back in 2002. The trailers they’ve shown look pretty good. I’m looking forward to seeing it come to fruition. Fingers crossed 🤞🏼
Fingers crossed indeed! The trailers has been good, as well as their communication on discord with the community. I’m really eager to see some gameplay.

Back