ALL THINGS TRANSFORMERS!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look nice but I would’ve liked a more cartoon accurate head for Bumblebee. That said, I have no skin in the game as the only other Missing Link figure I’d want is Megatron

I've picked up about 35 loose Transformers in the past 6 weeks. Sort of cherry picked some larger loose lots. Mostly Siege/War For Cybertron era stuff.

Obviously I don't technically "need" any of this. But something I discovered is that it's actually more cost effective ( in a bizarre way) to get larger loose lots than to get them piecemeal ( i.e those 6-8 dollar shipping cost hits add up) Obviously that's more of an advantage to a "beginner/starter" as I am not in a position to keep getting duplicates. For that newer Legacy United 5 pack, I can see how it could be daunting for someone who had the WFC versions of those figures not want to spend 120 bucks plus for the new Hound alone or the new Jazz alone. But for someone starting like me, a 5 pack is basically buffing up characters I don't have at all. (I ended up picking up the loose versions of the characters from the WFC lines, as collectors were dumping them as the Legacy United 5 pack was replacing those characters for them. )

@Cryoguns
Good God, Cryo what have I done? :lol 35 in six weeks. :Wizard

I've picked up about 35 loose Transformers in the past 6 weeks. Sort of cherry picked some larger loose lots. Mostly Siege/War For Cybertron era stuff.

Obviously I don't technically "need" any of this. But something I discovered is that it's actually more cost effective ( in a bizarre way) to get larger loose lots than to get them piecemeal ( i.e those 6-8 dollar shipping cost hits add up) Obviously that's more of an advantage to a "beginner/starter" as I am not in a position to keep getting duplicates. For that newer Legacy United 5 pack, I can see how it could be daunting for someone who had the WFC versions of those figures not want to spend 120 bucks plus for the new Hound alone or the new Jazz alone. But for someone starting like me, a 5 pack is basically buffing up characters I don't have at all. (I ended up picking up the loose versions of the characters from the WFC lines, as collectors were dumping them as the Legacy United 5 pack was replacing those characters for them. )

@Cryoguns

Absolutely 180, but the same, at the same time: I let go all of my Iron Factorys (20 sets, since some have double bots in'em), in one fell swoop. That felt good. Including the money.

And this guy came in, together with Phil Tippett's Mad God (don't know if I should recommend it.
Stop Motion Fantasy Experimental Horror is what it goes for. I would rather call it a big concept study, as the plot is hard to make out, but the FX are top notch!)

And Prime too.
Magic Square Light Of Peace TC. Amazing, especially since that guy finally grabs this desperateness, that (at least to me) has never been captured before.
And the articulation...damn:

444964879_1207279230618868_4508756117222268409_n.jpg442477178_1207279213952203_7006485739084493814_n.jpg443715045_1207279217285536_4408480930933032337_n.jpg442490444_1207279223952202_5731027161602207904_n.jpg442415354_1207279220618869_8850818226931421297_n.jpg442416572_1207279233952201_4466376878902065404_n.jpg441522750_1207279227285535_6089835318005693019_n.jpg444153539_1207193180627473_1595236112656302294_n.jpg

Ha! I am mostly settled with my current collection, but I also can't say I've ever picked up 35 over a 6 week period. My recent acquisitions over the past few weeks have been the Legacy Sandstorm, Missing Link Optimus Prime, MP44+ Prime, and finally the X-Transbots Fast and Fury (I've always thought of Runabout and Runamuck as the Beavis and Butthead of the Transformers Universe).

I just got both versions of Missing Link Optimus Prime recently from
ShowZ and man if this isn’t the figure I wanted as a kid! I’m not old enough to have gotten the original as a kid but my older cousin did have one and I got to play with it whenever we visited their house.

As much nostalgia as I have for my boxed original 80’s Optimus, I’d argue that’s pretty much all it has going for it now (aside from the price tag). I previously had the 25th Anniversary G1 Prime reissue with the short smokestacks so I have some experience with the mold but this missing link versions is just way cooler. From the toon accurate paint apps on 02 to the posability of both as well as no longer needing to remove the hands for alt mode. It’s just a better toy and, with the nostalgia, I enjoy this more than any of the previous mainline G1 inspired Optimus figures. We’ll see if that changes depending on what the 86 Studio Series Prime ends up looking like. But for now, this is doing the trick.

Last edited:
Ha! I am mostly settled with my current collection, but I also can't say I've ever picked up 35 over a 6 week period. My recent acquisitions over the past few weeks have been the Legacy Sandstorm, Missing Link Optimus Prime, MP44+ Prime, and finally the X-Transbots Fast and Fury (I've always thought of Runabout and Runamuck as the Beavis and Butthead of the Transformers Universe).

Most of it came in two big loose lots. You've been in the hobby a long time, so I think you have an idea of my overall strategy.

I was never going to get another chance to have pure "novice gains". So I calculated out what I was willing to pay per figure in the lot, then factored in the projected tax and shipping into that. There's not much you can do about tax, but if shipping is 15 bucks and you have 15 loose figures in the lot, then you are getting them shipped at one buck a figure. Also the higher the overall price goes, and the more other veteran collectors assess the "duplicates" problem, the more they are likely to opt out at some point. The overall cost is a bit of a hit. But breaking it down per figure, it's actually way less than if I hunted them one by one.

I was lucky and got a WFC Mirage. A blue and white one. I've seen him go solo for a pretty sizeable secondary market price. But I was able to get him for an outstanding price (relative to the breakdown) since he was trapped in a lot with a bunch of other figures. Also with inflation and the economy the way it is right now, a lot of people are dumping out their collections, across all lines, just because they need the cash. It's a bit of a buyers market right now.

I don't think I'll go completist here, or venture into Masterpiece. I'd like to stay in the range of G1 from Seasons 1 and 2 of the original cartoon.

You got some great ones on your list there. I can't do it though, myself, venture too far into new releases. It would break me budget wise and staying on the fringes with the loose used market for a while will help me better figure out the marketplace/practical price ranges out there. But value wise, it's no contest though. Those two big loose lots still cost me less than just one brand new Hot Toys release at it's average price.

I know most of us here have gone into Hot Toys at some point, I mean sometimes I think when you collect Hot Toys, you can forget exactly how much volume you can acquire for the same cost. I.E. it's easy for Hot Toys collectors to lose touch of the actual opportunity cost when considering other lines.

These are just so much fun. I was messing with Siege Ultra Magnus for a couple of hours. You can get a DC McFarlane figure where it has almost no articulation and close to no accessories, or for about the same price, get a loose Ultra Magnus. Again, no contest at all. I guess I been missing out all these years.

Back