All Things Robocop

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't really agree with this though. Are you suggesting not enough people would buy a DX Robocop? I don't see how the risk for HT would be any more or less than it is for any film property.
Robocop franchise combined gross revenue (all films) - $110,281,173
Dark Knight gross revenue - $1,001,921,825

which one would you risk the $$ on for research, sculpting, molds, marketing, overhead, etc?

just sayin.

I don't think cinema ticket sales have any correlation to the amount of people who'll buy figures though. Especially with expensive high end figures like Hot Toys, theres pretty much a set audience for those - casual movie fans won't apply unless they are both absolutely loaded and happen to come across a shop that sells Hot Toys. A casual fan who hasn't bought a figure since childhood would more likely start off (and possibly finish) with a Neca figure not a hugely expensive HT figure. So if you forget about HT trying to capitalise on impulse buyers theres every reason to think that out of the existing and long-term figure-buying public as many of those would buy a DX Robocop as would buy a DX batman. How do we know this - because they've made Robocop before and its sold out, only available on ebay now.

i dunno where everyone gets the impression that HT is gonna make expensive DX versions of all their old figures.

you people should buy a few million tickets each for the Robocop remake and THEN hope HT makes a DX Robo.

but, maybe you're right and HT is in the business of losing money to cater to your whims.
we'll just see.

I cant wait until we get another Robocop and I can quote this statement again.:goodpost:

I don't think cinema ticket sales have any correlation to the amount of people who'll buy figures though. Especially with expensive high end figures like Hot Toys, theres pretty much a set audience for those - casual movie fans won't apply unless they are both absolutely loaded and happen to come across a shop that sells Hot Toys. A casual fan who hasn't bought a figure since childhood would more likely start off (and possibly finish) with a Neca figure not a hugely expensive HT figure. So if you forget about HT trying to capitalise on impulse buyers theres every reason to think that out of the existing and long-term figure-buying public as many of those would buy a DX Robocop as would buy a DX batman. How do we know this - because they've made Robocop before and its sold out, only available on ebay now.
the only reason the HT Robo sold out is because they didn't make very many. go into just about any toy store and you'll still find Dark Knight stuff on the shelves. nobody cares about Robocop anymore.
and unless the remake makes a billion $$ in theaters (it won't), HT has no incentive to produce a $200+ DX figure from a license they probably don't own now.

besides, look at the DX figures they've made thus far - Dark Knight and MJ.
those properties are licenses to print money. Robocop is not. not by a long shot.

but, let's say for the sake of argument HT decides to make a DX Robo.
we all know HT either can't or won't get Weller's likeness. would you still pay the premium price for a figure that doesn't look like him?
easy pass for me.

can't comprehend why anyone would think the 18" neca is superior to the ht robo. the neca's proportions aren't too accurate anyway. in terms of build, sculpt and paint quality, ht is far superior. by today's standards of course it is somewhat dated. but i think it holds up pretty well against newer figures.

and i also doubt that ht will ever make a dx robo. but stranger things have happened, so i'll keep on hoping. :D

I'm in the doubting camp as well.

There is absolutely 0 precedent set by HTs to go back and re-do any of their past licenses.

Now if the new movie is something they would go after, then I suspect we will see a new fig or two, but I don't see them doing a DX version. They've yet to produce an official DX of IM and they are cranking those figs out like gangbusters :horror

I guess there is always a chance, but I just don't expect that they will revisit it. No precedent, limited star power (the franchise and the movie) and they've got their hands in far more lucrative licenses right now.

Hell, when was the last time one company held both a Marvel and DC license at the same time...Mego?!?! :huh

i dunno where everyone gets the impression that HT is gonna make expensive DX versions of all their old figures.

you people should buy a few million tickets each for the Robocop remake and THEN hope HT makes a DX Robo.

but, maybe you're right and HT is in the business of losing money to cater to your whims.
we'll just see.

I do. Same reason you were crying in the Pred/Alien redo thread. So they don't have to pay the secondary market rate for him. That's how it works. "Can't afford it? Hey, cry for HT to make a DX version or even remakes because you missed out the first time!"
:monkey4:monkey4:monkey4

I do. Same reason you were crying in the Pred/Alien redo thread. So they don't have to pay the secondary market rate for him. That's how it works. "Can't afford it? Hey, cry for HT to make a DX version or even remakes because you missed out the first time!"
:monkey4:monkey4:monkey4
uh what did i miss out the first time on?
i've gotten every HT figure i own when it was released or close to it.
i know better than to pay sucker's prices on ebay.

and a DX Robo wouldn't be that much cheaper.
HT retail prices go up, not down. their last pred figure was pushing $200 retail.

uh what did i miss out the first time on?
i've gotten every HT figure i own when it was released or close to it.
i know better than to pay sucker's prices on ebay.

and a DX Robo wouldn't be that much cheaper.
HT retail prices go up, not down. their last pred figure was pushing $200 retail.

Not all HT figs are guaranteed to go up in value anymore. I still remember seeing loose cleaner wolf preds going for like $80 shipped on ebay. Bleh. I had bought that sucker new too. Now it's like a hit or miss.

I want a new and improved version DX Robo. There is room for improvement at many areas and also HT today can make that figure 10 times better than before.

I want a new and improved version DX Robo. There is room for improvement at many areas and also HT today can make that figure 10 times better than before.

I agree. Though I am pretty happy with the V1 robo I got, and I really doubt HT will go back to remaking anything from an old license. If they made a DX robo, I am all over it!

Not all HT figs are guaranteed to go up in value anymore. I still remember seeing loose cleaner wolf preds going for like $80 shipped on ebay. Bleh. I had bought that sucker new too. Now it's like a hit or miss.
yeah but i said retail price, not ebay value. HT stuff keeps getting more expensive.
the Billy figure is $130, it would've been $80 a couple years ago.
a DX Robocop would be $200+ minimum.
Has Hot Toys made any moves on the licence since the on/off Kane?
never gonna happen. i dunno why anyone ever thought it would.

edit - MAYBE if the remake gets popular. but, HT has Avatar and MJ so why would they care.

Last edited:
I just received my McFarlane 3D Pop Culture poster yesterday. It's so cool!

McFarlane3Dposter4.jpg

McFarlane3Dposter.jpg

Here it is as a backdrop for my McFarlane 6" and Hot Toys figures

McFarlaneandHotToys.jpg

McFarlaneandHotToys6.jpg

McFarlaneandHotToys7.jpg

Cool looks good, I have that and looks good next to the 12 inch battle damaged robo from mcfarlane and my robo berretta.

Boxed up at the moment but will fish it out soon and post some pics.

The poster is definately worth the money.
If you like robocop you won't be disapointed......hopefully.
It's the best 3d poster mcfarlane have made imo.

I have had a few different ones including
"Nightmare on elm street" pretty good
"Rocky" not great but a big fan so had to have it
"Friday the 13th" ok nice detail
"Alien" with light up egg" personal favourite film and nice feature on the egg and foreground net effect
"Jaws" which is second best imo
But the robo one needs to be seen to appreciate it.

Really nice colouring and the open squad car door really brings it to life.

Ugh...that reminds my my McFarlane Robo is still in pieces. I dug him out of storage not too long ago and his damn left arm and left leg broke apart in my hand just from picking him up.

Thanks alot, Todd :gah:

I don't think its impossible for HT to make more Robocop figures. They started with T1 figures and now it appears that they'll be returning.

And its not like a new Robocop would require starting over from scratch. Just include some new heads and/or swappable BD pieces.

I still want a Boddicker :monkey2

As far as a DX Robo goes, it would really depend on what upgrades they brought to the table. Thus far I've owned the Robo3, and I bought the Robo1 for the girlfriend, because it's her favourite movie. I'm perfectly happy with the v1, and so is she. It'd be hard to convince me to buy a new one unless they retooled A LOT, and it was a definite, without question improvement over the v1, and I'm sure the only way the girlfriend would justify buying a DX is if it had Weller's likeness. That said, even if the new RoboCop remake makes bank and they go back to DX the classic Robo I just don't see them pursuing Weller's likeness, and even if they did I think it'd be hard to get him to sign off, since he hates even being associated with Robo these days.

Back