The Bourne Legacy

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natrix

Super Freak
Reaction score
I love the Bourne series but no Matt Damon or Jason Bourne character for the next Bourne movie...I don't know about this...

https://blog.movies.yahoo.com/blog/43-you-dont-need-jason-bourne-for-a-bourne-movie-apparently

Matt Damon vowed, after director Paul Greengrass left the "Bourne" franchise, that he'd never do another "Bourne" movie unless they let Greengrass return. Tony Gilroy, screenwriter of two of the films and director of "Michael Clayton," has taken over the franchise, and he's found a way out of the Damon problem: Get rid of Jason Bourne.

The next film will be called "The Bourne Legacy," but even though the name's in the title, the film will have no Jason Bourne. Thus, no Matt Damon. Interestingly enough, the book "The Bourne Legacy" does have Jason Bourne (though it wasn't actually written by Robert Ludlum, the creator of the book series). Gilroy explained to Hollywood Elsewhere's Jeffrey Wells that he's just taking the title and running with it.

"The easiest way to think of it is an expansion or a reveal. Jason Bourne will not be in this film, but he's very much alive. What happened in the first three films is the trigger for what happens. I'm building a legend and an environment and a wider conspiracy…the world we're making enhances and advances and invites Jason Bourne's return [down the road]. Everything you saw in the first three films actually happened, and everyone who got into will be rewarded for paying attention. We're going to show you the bigger picture, the bigger canvas. When you see what we're going and see what we're doing it'll be pretty obvious….but Jason Bourne's actvities in the first three films is the immediate trigger."

When Gilroy says he's only using the title of the book, not the plot, he's not kidding: "The Bourne Legacy," which came out in 2004 and is written by Eric Van Lustbader (who took over the franchise from the Ludlum estate for six more books), is all about Jason Bourne. Picking up where "The Bourne Ultimatum" left off, "Legacy" features Bourne back as David Webb (his birth name), teaching classes at Georgetown. He survives an assassination attempt and is -- all together now -- drawn into a complicated web of intrigue and deceit. Considering the whole book -- and the rest of the books written by Van Lustbader -- is about Bourne's adventures, Gilroy's adaptation will be anything but: He's essentially inventing a brand-new character and hitching it to the Bourne franchise.

The new direction may jibe well with Gilroy's "Michael Clayton" sensibility, though basically it sounds like Jason Bourne started some sort of "movement," which doesn't seem like Bourne's style. Curiously, Gilroy leaves the door open for Bourne's - that is to say, Damon's - return at some point, presuming the films are so good he just couldn't help but want to be a part of them. So, we have another entry in the casting couch speculation derby: Who's playing the new Bourne/not-Bourne? Horizons should be expanded; when they cast the first Bourne film, no one considered Matt Damon an action star either.

I always thought Damon was kind of a Streisand, but he rocked the ____ in these movies. It'd be too bad if he didn't return for the fourth.

No Bourne in a Bourne movie that the book was actually all about Bourne? Bait and Switch. No go. I hope it fall flat and fails. If you are going to have a movie even remotely connected to an established story, explain that in the story and move on, don't title it something and then have it a complete opposite. Its like a movie entitled "Indiana Jones and the Mystery of Stonehenge" only to find out that its not about Indy, that he is very much alive but about another adventurer named Stu who liked doing something similiar.

I have the boxed set, loved the Bourne Trilogy.. This is going to be crap. An espionage-movie-wannabe in the making. :dunno

I always thought Damon was kind of a Streisand, but he rocked the ____ in these movies. It'd be too bad if he didn't return for the fourth.

:clap 40 year old virgin references are always cool. I don't see the point in have Bourne in the title for any reason other than trying to trick unaware people to seeing the movie. I've only read the first book so I'm not familiar with how they're set up, but if the main protagonist isn't in it I don't see a reason to watch the movie.

i hope this fails too, i certainly have no interest in it without Damon. He is Bourne. I just dont get why these stupid asses wanna ____ up a great trilogy; its done, over with, so move on, do something original. Ulitmatum was great, explained everything and ended well.

I wouldn't mind another one, or another trilogy if that was the decision. From what I've gathered some of the books take place well after the movie timelines and he gets called out by "The Jackal" who was a spy/assassin from Bourne's past in one of the books.

Read this today and was shell shocked! How can you have a Bourne movie without Bourne in it :slap

Like a Bond movie without Bond :slap

If Damon won't get onboard without Greengrass then it's simple!

GET GREENGRASS AT ALL COSTS

I hope this movie isn't too much of a cluster_____*, and it keeps the series alive long enough to get Damon back on board for Part 5 or Part 6.

SnakeDoc

I wouldn't mind another one, or another trilogy if that was the decision. From what I've gathered some of the books take place well after the movie timelines and he gets called out by "The Jackal" who was a spy/assassin from Bourne's past in one of the books.

its not so much the story that i would be worried about, its how on earth do u replace Damon. He was perfect for the role. I would rather them relate to the first 3 films, then continue on with another sequel directly intertwined with Ultimatum

I completely understand where they are going with this and although I'll definitely miss Damon, I do hope this does well.

Just like the article said, Bourne Legacy picks up on a story that all of Jason Bourne's actions in the first three movies sets in motion. Makes perfect sense that much more is involved than just what happened to Jason Bourne and that's what the movie/movies will explore.

I'll be seeing it for sure.

he was supposed to be in it but the got a director who had no experience at action and l knew if they did it it would blow. and Damon knew it so l guess backed out. good. and now there is no point to make this movie. no one will go to see it. that like another pirates movie with out Depp. it wont work.

Hulk VS Hawkeye??

Edward Norton is in negotiations to play the villain in Universal's "The Bourne Legacy" opposite Jeremy Renner.

Tony Gilroy is on board to direct from a script he penned and Rachel Weisz has also signed on to star.

Plot details are being kept under wraps, but Jason Bourne will not be featured in the film, while Renner will play another assassin trained in the same program that Bourne was trained in. Universal had no comment on Norton's negotiations.

Frank Marshall, Ben Smith and Jeffrey Weiner are producing.

Besides "The Italian Job," Norton has not been in full-bore villain mode for some time. The "Bourne" role is his most commercial since starring as the Hulk in Marvel and Universal's "The Incredible Hulk."

In previous "Bourne" pics, Universal had not surrounded then-star Matt Damon with high-profile names, but the Gilroy pic is shaping up as a major ensemble piece.

Stupid money making scheme imo.

Take an existing mediocre story, change one detail so that x was actually a friend of Bourne, and now you can include that name in your title and make waaay more money from that franchise's fans for your mediocre story.

The Bourne Legacy - Aug. 3rd 2012 - Trailer

First trailer, new poster.

[ame]https://youtu.be/buhGRnnWV-o[/ame]

bournelegacy_poster.jpg

Directed by Tony Gilroy (Michael Clayton, Duplicity) and starring Jeremy Renner, Rachel Weisz, Edward Norton, Oscar Isaac, Joan Allen, Albert Finney, Stacy Keach and Scott Glenn.

The Bourne Legacy hits theaters August 3rd, 2012.

Re: The Bourne Legacy - Aug. 3rd 2012 - Trailer

Huh....I didn't even know they were making this. It looks pretty good.

Re: The Bourne Legacy - Aug. 3rd 2012 - Trailer

Been looking forward to seeing the trailer...looks awesome :rock

Back