Best Way to Shorten 1/6th Darth Vader?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PJB-1138

Super Freak
Reaction score
Sorry if this topic is more appropriate to the Custom Figures forum, but I'm wondering if a consensus was ever reached on how to best shorten the Sideshow 1/6th-scale Vader?

It's always bothered me, despite all the work & engineering that must have gone into it, that this figure looks so out-of-scale when stood next to other figures in this line. In fact, this seems to be much more of a glaring issue than how poorly the helmet sits (which has already been elaborately discussed in another thread).

Last night, while examining its base body underneath its outfit, I noticed that the over-sized Prometheus can be easily taken apart by undoing the small screws that hold it together. I then reassembled it with some of its abdominal parts substituted with those from a Stormtrooper figure just to see how it looks.

The result? A skinnier but perfectly scaled Vader knocked down that crucial 3/4 of an inch in order to bring it in better proportion to all the other 12" figures!

Now that this figure has been out for almost a year, I'm curious to know how other owners of this figure may have been able to literally bring Vader down a peg or two.

Sorry if this topic is more appropriate to the Custom Figures forum, but I'm wondering if a consensus was ever reached on how to best shorten the Sideshow 1/6th-scale Vader?

It's always bothered me, despite all the work & engineering that must have gone into it, that this figure looks so out-of-scale when stood next to other figures in this line. In fact, this seems to be much more of a glaring issue than how poorly the helmet sits (which has already been elaborately discussed in another thread).

Last night, while examining its base body underneath its outfit, I noticed that the over-sized Prometheus can be easily taken apart by undoing the small screws that hold it together. I then reassembled it with some of its abdominal parts substituted with those from a Stormtrooper figure just to see how it looks.

The result? A skinnier but perfectly scaled Vader knocked down that crucial 3/4 of an inch in order to bring it in better proportion to all the other 12" figures!

Could you show some pics?

:lecture

Actually, people have done the research and determined that Vader's height is exactly perfect in 1/6 scale.

Shortening him makes him inaccurate.

Here's my shortened Vader next to an unmodified Sideshow Stormtrooper & (believe it or not) a Medicom Boba Fett that I customized with a slightly taller, slightly beefier Medicom X3 Wolverine body:

picture.php

And here's a closer look at how they measure shoulder-to shoulder to one another:

picture.php

It may not look like a drastic change, but then again the scale was only off by a smidge in my book (now I just have to pad Vader's abs so his gut doesn't seem so shrunk down).

Last edited:
:lecture

Actually, people have done the research and determined that Vader's height is exactly perfect in 1/6 scale.

Shortening him makes him inaccurate.

Um, no.

I did the research when I made my custom Vader before Sideshow's version. David Prowse's height was 6'7". The "official" Star Wars height for Darth Vader was 2.02 meters (6'7.5"). In 1/6th scale, this is 13.25". You can float that a little higher to allow for the boots and helmet if you want, but the end result is that Sideshow's is too tall by quite a bit at 14.25".

Prowse was 6'7" himself, but with Vader boots i thought he was 6'10"... I dunno....three inch boots on vader....the first time I met him to get an autograph, I could have sworn he told me 6'10" but I may be misremembering

Prowse was 6'7" himself, but with Vader boots i thought he was 6'10"... I dunno....three inch boots on vader....the first time I met him to get an autograph, I could have sworn he told me 6'10" but I may be misremembering

6'10" in full costume as Vader? That sounds believable. Sideshow's dimensions have Vader standing well over 7 feet. Peter Mayhew is almost 7'2" and he was still much taller than Prowse in costume.

6'10" in full costume as Vader? That sounds believable. Sideshow's dimensions have Vader standing well over 7 feet. Peter Mayhew is almost 7'2" and he was still much taller than Prowse in costume.

Prowse being 6'7" normal, i'm sure the costume boots and helmet put him well over 6'10".

For those that are interested, here's a closer look at how to do this simple modification:

First, I took a Stormtrooper Prometheus figure apart, which is all easily done by simply starting with the chest piece & undoing the tiny screws in the back:

picture.php

Then, I did the same with Vader's body which, for the most part, is just a larger version of the Stormtrooper body:

picture.php

You can see here how much the abdominal pieces differ in size, which I measured to be about half-an-inch in height:

picture.php

Here's Vader's body assembled with the smaller abdominal pieces:

picture.php

Digging around the house, I found some nice thick black Gorilla Tape that could fill out Vader's otherwise emaciated waistline:

picture.php

BTW, it is very important that the Stormtrooper's spring-loaded bolt with the square base is used to connect the pelvis to the abdomen. The bolt on Vader is designed for a smaller slot & it will slip out of the Stormtrooper abs, causing the figure to fall apart!

Once you slip his body suit on, it should still fit nice & snug even at this slightly shortened stature:

picture.php

As Vader gets completely suited up, you can hardly tell he's even had any work done:

picture.php

And, once the cape is on, voila -- a perfectly sized 1/6th-scale Vader! By my measurement, he's almost 14 inches, which I suppose works out to what a near seven-foot Vader should be:

picture.php

Anyway, I don't remember seeing any similar suggestions here on how to easily resize this figure without the need for Dremels, messy glues or hack saws. Of course, any & all feedback to my solution here would be greatly appreciated! ;-)

Last edited:
Looks great PJB! Thanks for the pic tutorial. I will definitely give it a try!

Now that this figure has been out for almost a year, I'm curious to know how other owners of this figure may have been able to literally bring Vader down a peg or two.

Great idea!

I wonder if you could use the thicker abs to make a custom "SW Fan" stormtrooper to look like a fat guy in armor.

Great work on the mod :rock I was figuring you could just saw a chunk of his thighs.... but your method seems much more civilized :lol

Back