Best Way to Shorten 1/6th Darth Vader?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He's still naked so I don't know. :lol

I need to find some tape to thicken his midsection before I put his clothes on.

Are you happy with the new height Pix? It's not a dramatic difference, but I think the figure looks way better afterward especially in relation to other figures.

lowering him a 1/4" is a huge improvement. damn he was a big un'........:thud:

I need to find some tape to thicken his midsection before I put his clothes on.

i wouldn't use electrical tape pix...........it tends to break down over time & gets mushy.............:monkey4

use a piece of cloth or cloth bandage...........:lecture

i wouldn't use electrical tape pix...........it tends to break down over time & gets mushy.............:monkey4

use a piece of cloth or cloth bandage...........:lecture

Hmmm... I don't remember what I used; but it was probably electrical tape :lol

Here are my unasked for and superfluous pics:

303203_10151024059775796_128356956_n.jpg

545551_10151024059930796_922378857_n.jpg

76583_10151024060020796_999380378_n.jpg

479904_10151024060085796_948957480_n.jpg

Here’s my take on shortening the Star Wars Vader. I wanted to see what I could do with the stock body so I could use the neck, hand and feet sockets. I was able to score an extra body for $20 so I figured I’d give it a shot.

I first took some length off the thighs and forearms. I always thought the forearms were too long for the size of the hands. And for proportion sake I knew some of the forearms had to go since I was altering the height.

I then took some height out of the lower ab piece. Since the two cut down lower ab halves couldn’t stack back together, I added a shelf of sorts from an ABS sheet leftover from my Stormtrooper armor. This gave the two lower ab halves a flat surface to be joined back together.

Finally I trimmed and tapered down the waist socket and the new lower ab piece. This was so they’d fit back together as a proper ball and socket and I wouldn’t lose any articulation.

Put it all back together and now Vader measures approx. 13.5” from bottom of feet to top of dome. I eyeballed the cutting and so it turned out to be approx. 3/8” off the thighs and another 3/8” off the lower ab piece. I used Weld-On for ABS to join all the parts together. This way I wouldn’t have to worry about the arms, legs or torso breaking apart when playing…umm…posing Vader.

I’m really happy with the outcome. Next is the helmet mod.

Here’s the modified Vader body next to the stock body.

002_zps1ebd76a6.jpg

And Darth redressed for success.

0032_zps129fccd8.jpg

I have to agree that vader is too tall at any rate. if han solo is 6'2 there should only be a half inch to inch difference if suit makes vader 6'10. I used extenders on my body for han and he is 12.25" that would mean vader could easily get away with 13" maybe 13.25 but not as tall as he is. chewie is 7'2 add be hive he is 7'5. that would mean chewie should be the tallest mother on that movie. his figure should be the only 14" figure on the line. Everyone should be scaled down from there.

Here’s my take on shortening the Star Wars Vader. I wanted to see what I could do with the stock body so I could use the neck, hand and feet sockets. I was able to score an extra body for $20 so I figured I’d give it a shot.

I first took some length off the thighs and forearms. I always thought the forearms were too long for the size of the hands. And for proportion sake I knew some of the forearms had to go since I was altering the height.

I then took some height out of the lower ab piece. Since the two cut down lower ab halves couldn’t stack back together, I added a shelf of sorts from an ABS sheet leftover from my Stormtrooper armor. This gave the two lower ab halves a flat surface to be joined back together.

Finally I trimmed and tapered down the waist socket and the new lower ab piece. This was so they’d fit back together as a proper ball and socket and I wouldn’t lose any articulation.

Put it all back together and now Vader measures approx. 13.5” from bottom of feet to top of dome. I eyeballed the cutting and so it turned out to be approx. 3/8” off the thighs and another 3/8” off the lower ab piece. I used Weld-On for ABS to join all the parts together. This way I wouldn’t have to worry about the arms, legs or torso breaking apart when playing…umm…posing Vader.

I’m really happy with the outcome. Next is the helmet mod.

Here’s the modified Vader body next to the stock body.

002_zps1ebd76a6.jpg

And Darth redressed for success.

0032_zps129fccd8.jpg

How much would you charge to do mine when i get my figure in can you pm me.

Brilliant!!!!!!!!

Brilliant indeed.

This is the answer people. As far as scale proportion goes this is the best I've seen the ANH Vader look. Better than the trooper mid-section swap out and better than the KP body. Well done! You out a link to this in the new Vader thread, I would suggest also putting one in the ANH thread too just in case someone misses it.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk

If I'm not mistake,isn't 7 ft equal to 14 inches?6foot is 72 inches,divide into 6 you get 12 inches,7 foot is 84 inches divide that by 6 you get 14 inches tall.if he was 6-7 1/2 plus an 1 1/2 inches for boots and 3 inches for the helmet that's 7 foot tall,in 1/6 scale vader should be 14 inches tall.so if sideshow is 14.25 then he is a 1/4 inch big,that would put vader at 7 foot 3

This has been over numerous times, but I'm going to be honest with you I don't know all about the math part. What I do know is at 14 and 14 1/2 inches Vader looks massive, almost funny. And at no time in any of the movies do I remember him towering over people's heads to the degree the figure does over other figures. The consensus for the most part, and what most people are going with is 13 1/2 inches. That looks right to me. He's still taller than all other figures and has an imposing presence without looking comical. That's just my opinion.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk

I disassembled Darth and took some photos of the lower ab piece. I was after functionality not prettiness, so it isn’t that from every angle. I had to redo the back lower piece a few times so it’s mucky looking.

Alex

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I went to the PO this morning so your stuff should be there by Tuesday. :vader:cool:

I'd recommend using a solvent like Weld-On for ABS or something similar. I don't know if Krazy glue or model glue will be strong enough to hold the pieces together when you consider posing, part swapping, etc. Especially the torso and the tension it has to stand up to.

Here's the Weld-On stuff -

https://www.eplastics.com/WELD-ON-P...=&source=pla&gclid=COvIuoLCg70CFRQaOgodo1QAQA

Alex

Back