Modification/Customization for the DX12 Batman Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think I am going to do any of these mods when i get the figure i'm just here to pay respect to the thread. Great work Maglor, you are second to none on this forum man. Cheers.:duff

Hey guys, I am pretty new to the boards (been lurking for a little while) and I wanted to share some mouth plate mods I did on my DX12 Head (don't have the whole figure yet - bought a loose head on ebay strictly for mods). The DX12 head is currently sitting atop my Medicom TDK figure. Hopefully BBTS gets the DX12 in quick!

First mouth Mod: the "smirk" plate
DSC02149.jpg

Simply put, I sliced apart the lips with an exacto knife, carved a bit of the material out, opened up the lips with tweezers and the end of a small paintbrush. In the end, a bit of the lip paint rubbed off so I had to do a touch-up paint job. Seems like a simple mod but it was actually quite difficult. Unfortunately, I did not document the process as I did this mod on the fly. But when I was finished, I was pretty pleased with the result:
DSC02170.jpg

DSC02160.jpg

Second mouth Mod: the "teeth" plate
DSC02176.jpg

This mod was much more extensive. It basically involved completely removing the teeth form the mouth plate. This can be done because they are actually a separate piece glued into the face.

My basic steps for this process were 1) remove the teeth by cutting them out from the back of the plate and then pushing them out form the front, though the mouth 2) cut off both the bottom and top rows of teeth 3) paint the remaining "tongue" portion dark pink and 5) re-insert into the mouth portion of the plate. I then made certain I was happy with the mod and finally super glued the tongue into the plate permanently.
DSC02190.jpg

DSC02185.jpg

DSC02187.jpg

And here he is, again, with the modded "teeth" mouth plate:
476c4ed63cfc11e2b12d22000a9e295b_7.jpg

Here are two comparison shots between the plates, mimicking the "iPad/tablet" sceen from TDKR
Smirk:
DSC02181.jpg

Teeth:
DSC02182.jpg

I haven't decided which I like more but I do know that I like both much better than either of the stock face plates (though I do like the "angry" plate).

These mods are fairly ambitious and not for the faint of heart and I do not recommend them for anyone without an extra set of plates on hand. That being said, I think it was worth the time and effort to mod these and I cannot wait to place this head atop my DX12 when he! I apologize if this post is inordinately long (first post ever) but let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

So I finished the eye paint mod and it looks a lot better. I'm still thinking about doing the gloves and gantlets mod. All the photos i see make it look just too good not to do.

Excellent thread Mags.
You have the best dx12 here.
I was honestly "meh" when I first got my dx12 cause I was torn going the medix route with my dx02. But with all these mods, it at least now compares well with the medix and my dx02 is still intact to do the un-cowled Bruce Wayne version.

Thanks man.

I know you and I kind of preferred the torso on the DX02 from proto pics, but in-hand, I really love the whole ab section on this thing, especially with mods.

Hey guys, sorry if this isn't the right place to ask, (I'm am pretty new to these boards) but I have some DX12 mouth plate mods I wanted to share and I have tried twice to post pics/description and each time the posts never make it to the board. Any idea why my posts are failing?

Anyway, my mods involve creating an open mouth look from the stock "smirk" and "teeth" plates. Any interest in pics?

I did the chest and shoulder mods and man it makes a huge difference! thanks for the great photos for instructions.

Hey guys, sorry if this isn't the right place to ask, (I'm am pretty new to these boards) but I have some DX12 mouth plate mods I wanted to share and I have tried twice to post pics/description and each time the posts never make it to the board. Any idea why my posts are failing?

Anyway, my mods involve creating an open mouth look from the stock "smirk" and "teeth" plates. Any interest in pics?

It's likely due to you only having one post, you need to contact a moderator to approve your posts

Hi Mags,

Do you have the mod for the elbows without cutting them off?

Cheers!

I think you just have to heat them up and bend them

That's my understanding.

No one has posted a pic of this yet, so I haven't included it on the first page.

When I get my second one, I'll do that.

Definitely interested in pics!

What kind of problems are you having?

I did the chest and shoulder mods and man it makes a huge difference! thanks for the great photos for instructions.

Awesome! You got pics? What exactly did you do? Straighten the chest and tighten/"shrink" the shoulder pads?

Well, my posts were rather extensive with lots of pics and text so maybe they were blocked by a moderator??

Regardless, below is what I have managed to do with the "smirk" mouth plate (crappy phone pics):

DSC02170.jpg

DSC02180.jpg

DSC02160.jpg

DSC02141.jpg

I actually only own a DX12 head at the moment - I bought one from ebay strictly for mods. For right now, he sits atop my Medicom TDK figure. Hopefully BBTS ships out my whole figure soon!

If this post goes through, I will give a description of how I achieved this look and I show what I did with the "teeth" plate as well. Let me know what you guys think!

I just replied to you with pics but I received the same message explaining that the post will be withheld until a Moderator approves it. My other posts are still pending Mod approval and I assume they will never show up. Is it because of the pics? :huh

Maybe if I attach pics instead of placing them within the body...

*EDIT* Attachments worked! :yess:

Those pics are what I managed to do with the "smirk" plate.

I just replied to you with pics but I received the same message explaining that the post will be withheld until a Moderator approves it. My other posts are still pending Mod approval and I assume they will never show up. Is it because of the pics? :huh

Maybe if I attach pics instead of placing them within the body...

*EDIT* Attachments worked! :yess:

Those pics are what I managed to do with the "smirk" plate.

Holy crap dude, what did you do? Please share!

Holy crap dude, what did you do? Please share!

Essentially, I sliced apart the lips of the "smirk" faceplate with an Exacto knife, cut out some of the inside material and forced the lips open with tweezers and the end of a small paintbrush. It seems simple in theory but it was actually very time consuming and delicate. I even had to touch up the paint on the lips afterward because some rubbed off in the process. The head itself is actually an extra I purchased strictly for mods. Not sure if I would risk it if I only had one set of face plates to tinker with. I actually don't even have the figure yet - that head is sitting atop a Medi body for now. Hopefully BBTS ships my whole figure soon!

I will do another update with my "teeth" mouth plate mod later this evening.

Essentially, I sliced apart the lips of the "smirk" faceplate with an Exacto knife, cut out some of the inside material and forced the lips open with tweezers and the end of a small paintbrush. It seems simple in theory but it was actually very time consuming and delicate. I even had to touch up the paint on the lips afterward because some rubbed off in the process. The head itself is actually an extra I purchased strictly for mods. Not sure if I would risk it if I only had one set of face plates to tinker with. I actually don't even have the figure yet - that head is sitting atop a Medi body for now. Hopefully BBTS ships my whole figure soon!

I will do another update with my "teeth" mouth plate mod later this evening.

Dude, it looks awesome. I have 2 dx12s...I think I might attempt this mod, considering I'm using the dx02 mouth on my figure and actually prefer it over the stock mouth. However, you mentioned that painting was involved...so I really have to think hard on doing this mod.

Back