All Things Robocop

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't have one myself but I too would vote for your Horizons kit as the best of the Robocops. Each of the others leaves something to be desired.

McFarlane has that squat head with no space under the helmet for the nose or indeed enough space between the eyes and the mouth to fit one as far as I can see. Its torso is too small and rounded off and the shoulders don't peak high enough. What it has going for it is its battle damage, paintscheme and its weight.

Hot Toys Robocop is one of their most toy-like figures IMO. I have no doubt they'd do a superior job if they tackled it now. The head is too big in relation to the torso, the neck is bad looking, the human part of the face is relatively soft in detail compared to what we see today...and again the shoulders, though better than McFarlanes, don't peak high enough. This one is the most poseable of all the Robocop figures though and actually has ED-209 to go with it.

NECAs 18" is just a useless scale to me. Its too big, not enough other compatable film characters could or would be made. The paintjob is messy and inconsistent throughout the whole figure and its got those visible tiny shoulder and hip joints. The sculpt and proportions are great though.

Don't have one myself but I too would vote for your Horizons kit as the best of the Robocops. Each of the others leaves something to be desired.

McFarlane has that squat head with no space under the helmet for the nose or indeed enough space between the eyes and the mouth to fit one as far as I can see. Its torso is too small and rounded off and the shoulders don't peak high enough. What it has going for it is its battle damage, paintscheme and its weight.

Hot Toys Robocop is one of their most toy-like figures IMO. I have no doubt they'd do a superior job if they tackled it now. The head is too big in relation to the torso, the neck is bad looking, the human part of the face is relatively soft in detail compared to what we see today...and again the shoulders, though better than McFarlanes, don't peak high enough. This one is the most poseable of all the Robocop figures though and actually has ED-209 to go with it.

NECAs 18" is just a useless scale to me. Its too big, not enough other compatable film characters could or would be made. The paintjob is messy and inconsistent throughout the whole figure and its got those visible tiny shoulder and hip joints. The sculpt and proportions are great though.

Do you own one?

I have the Robocop 3 w/gun arm version.

I'll leave you to your own opinion. I have the same, but with the Jetpack. It's far from looking like a toy and from the removable helmet with unsmooshed face, to the working pistons and the paint finish, I highly doubt there'd be much HT could do to improve upon him.

I think if they made one from scratch today it'd be more proportionally accurate, you wouldn't have that ugly neck and the human face would be more comparable to todays hyper-realism than HT earlier doll-like faces. This might not be 'a lot' of areas in need of improvement but I'm simply saying it would be better if done today.

I just find it annoying that I have no single Robocop that I find completely satisfying in all ways. The pros and cons are distributed throughout each figure from each company.

I'll have to agree with you, a-dev. I really love Neca's version, but it's too big. There really are pros and cons to each figure. McFarlane having the least amount of pros. The 7" Robo is actually nicer than the 12".

Things I dislike about the Hot Toys Robo: the head is too big; the helmet is almost directly over the chin-guard (which would make the helmet too thin); the chin-guard protrudes too much in the front; the line that travels up over the right arm, which is only supposed to be on the left arm; the pistons are overly detailed (Hot Toys added details which were not on the original suit), and the springs are cool but not accurate; the overall proportions of the figure are off, shoulders are too low, legs are too short, he's just too squatty; and lastly, the paint scheme is more the RoboCop 2 color. Although nice, it's too blue.

Having said that, I really love this figure. The articulation is unmatched, the opening leg holster is awesome (always wanted a figure with that feature), the interchangeable hands are great, and he just looks awesome. I have to admit, I bet Hot Toys could do a better job if they were to make another version now. The biggest mistake they make on the first version was gluing the helmet on.:( If they were to address the problems stated above, no one would need make another RoboCop figure in this scale again.

Last edited:
I know the 18inch Neca Robo's had some paint issues all the way through production and they made little touch ups on them that made the figures look worse at retail. I have one of the figures from the first batches which have a darker greyish paint scheme,more true to RoboCop 1. Neca released a sliver-ish paint job on this figure later on and i think it hurt the figures look even more.

I just received my McFarlane 3D Pop Culture poster yesterday. It's so cool!

McFarlane3Dposter4.jpg

McFarlane3Dposter.jpg

Here it is as a backdrop for my McFarlane 6" and Hot Toys figures

McFarlaneandHotToys.jpg

McFarlaneandHotToys6.jpg

McFarlaneandHotToys7.jpg

i've been debating on whether to get one of those.
my LCS has one for $40 and that doesn't seem like a great price for what you get.
that's like half what i paid for my HT figure and over double what i paid for the McF 12" one.

it does look damn cool behind the figures though.

I bought a few days ago the HT Robocop 3 Flightpack :yess:
It is a very cool figure.
I take some pics and post them here. Later on aplace some more.

imgp1908.jpg

imgp1905.jpg

I actually think the HT Robo´s not looking very good.
The proportions are way off, the head is simply way to big, the shoulders are way to slim, the black parts are missing the subtle glossyness and the metal just looks unreal.
I would buy NECA´s 18" anytime over this.
Don´ get why you like it that much?!

The head wouldn't want to be smaller, rather the rest of him should be bigger - wider, bulkier, shoulders should peak a little higher.

I think it is one of HTs more dated figures. The face comes from HT more doll-like times, the rubber parts look like rubber, the neck joint is the same kind of stupid looking as neca's shoulder and hip joints - it reminds you that this is a toy.

I think the 'metal' painted parts are great but annoyingly dust sticks to it and becomes engrained, there seems to be no getting rid of it, so my Robocop has lost the smoothness it had fresh from the box.

i dunno where everyone gets the impression that HT is gonna make expensive DX versions of all their old figures.

you people should buy a few million tickets each for the Robocop remake and THEN hope HT makes a DX Robo.

but, maybe you're right and HT is in the business of losing money to cater to your whims.
we'll just see.

i dunno where everyone gets the impression that HT is gonna make expensive DX versions of all their old figures.

I know, I don't quite get it. Surely their license for Robocop has expired no?

maybe you're right and HT is in the business of losing money to cater to your whims.
we'll just see.

I don't really agree with this though. Are you suggesting not enough people would buy a DX Robocop? I don't see how the risk for HT would be any more or less than it is for any film property.

Back