Zero Tolerance for 6 Year Olds?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's just sick. If that kit is anything like what I had in the Boy Scouts/Cub Scouts.. it's about as sharp as a plastic knife. I can see zero tolerance in middle or high school.. but six year olds? Here's a kid who I can promise you every teacher would love to have, likely no behavioral issues at all, but the punishment is a suspension and 45 days in a reform school? Wtf are they supposed to reform about this kid?

I don't believe in "zero tolerance" at all for younger kids. First off, they may not understand the rules to begin with (they are small children, after all), and they should be given an opportunity to be told that a certain behavior is not acceptable. Secondly, it isn't like they are hardened sociopaths with no chance for rehabilitation. You have to give them a chance to learn from their mistakes before laying down the serious smack, IMO, even if they do know that they were doing wrong.

I do believe in a "2 strikes and you're out" policy in some instances.

I also agree with a zero tolerance policy, but in this case, the kid is 6 years old, and he doesnt have a complete understanding on what is wrong and right. If this was a high school kid, then maybe you could justify an expulsion, but for a 6 year old, maybe a 3 day suspention at most. He thought he just had a cool eating utencil, and wanted to show it off. The punishment is way too harsh.

I remember when I was in school, kids would accidentally bring knives or other weapons to school because they were camping or something in that nature, with it over the weekend and forgot they had it. If we turned in the weapon not previously knowing we had it on us, there would be no punishment, but the parent would have to come down and pick it up. I feel this is kind of a similar situation, but its obvious the kid didnt think he had a weapon.

See I don't entirely believe that either. I can remember doing many dumb things at that age. I KNEW it was wrong. Kids know when they are wrong. Hell my DOG who isn't even two knows when she does something bad. People don't respect kids enough to know those little ^^^^ers CAN be bad and know they are doing so.

Somebody should lose their job over this. Seriously.

If you can only make mechanical decisions and are incapable of using human judgement, then you should be replaced either by somebody is capable of using human judgement, or a machine that can make the mechanical decisions faster and cheaper than you.

You Sir are bang on with that statement.

I remember crying in third grade when I accidentally took a book home from school. I was so scared I was going to get in trouble for stealing, but it was an honest mistake. I have no doubt that if someone told the kid he wasn't allowed to bring things like that to school and confiscated it and had a parent come pick it the kid would learn his lesson and likely never do it again.

The zero tolerance rules for these kids are absurd, I know some kids in the past have brought weapons with the intent to do harm, but those cases are few and far between, these lil tykes don't even have the mental capacity yet to cause true malice to anyone, sheesh, what next, banning of peanuts, because some kid might die of an anaphylaxia?

Actually yeah no peanuts. My son's school has a strict rule of no sharing lunches because of food allergies. Also there is a "No Peanut" table in the lunch room. This is no BS either it is all true.

And the parents of the kid in the story are ok with the 3 day suspension it is the 45 days the kid has to be with troubled kids that they don't agree with. 45 days is enough time to turn that little naive kid into a terror child.

School is the first place I saw a hand gun.

Actually yeah no peanuts. My son's school has a strict rule of no sharing lunches because of food allergies. Also there is a "No Peanut" table in the lunch room. This is no BS either it is all true.

And the parents of the kid in the story are ok with the 3 day suspension it is the 45 days the kid has to be with troubled kids that they don't agree with. 45 days is enough time to turn that little naive kid into a terror child.

School is the first place I saw a hand gun.

I can understand the peanut thing because some kids are so allergic they can't even be in the same room, but what really gripes me is when kids are allergic to certain things but are on the free lunch program, the school is responsible in providing an alternative lunch to these kids. One of my many duties at school is to make sure these kids aren't eating something they shouldn't. I have a whole list of kids that can't have something or other and I have to make sure it's not on their tray.

Can't have milk or dairy
Can have juice but not OJ
Can't have peanuts
Can't have any nuts
Can't have eggs
Can't have cheese
Can have cheese but not milk
Is a vegetarian
Can't have pineapple, melon or etc.
It goes on and on....

Now if I miss something and a kid eat something they shouldn't and gets sick.....it's my ass, not the parents' because they're too damn lazy to provide a lunch that they kid could have on a day they're serving something they can't have.

Rant over.......:lol

I can understand the peanut thing because some kids are so allergic they can't even be in the same room, but what really gripes me is when kids are allergic to certain things but are on the free lunch program, the school is responsible in providing an alternative lunch to these kids. One of my many duties at school is to make sure these kids aren't eating something they shouldn't. I have a whole list of kids that can't have something or other and I have to make sure it's not on their tray.

Can't have milk or dairy
Can have juice but not OJ
Can't have peanuts
Can't have any nuts
Can't have eggs
Can't have cheese
Can have cheese but not milk
Is a vegetarian
Can't have pineapple, melon or etc.
It goes on and on....

Now if I miss something and a kid eat something they shouldn't and gets sick.....it's my ass, not the parents' because they're too damn lazy to provide a lunch that they kid could have on a day they're serving something they can't have.

Rant over.......:lol

Very Well said Ween

Then books will be considered weapons and all children with a book in their possession would also be suspended.

This is what our kids eat with at school. I think they should be outlawed since they have to potential of killing someone!

Beware the spork!!

420415717_e5d8531a8f.jpg

Why do they get four of them? Those plastic utensils break fairly easily and leave sharp dangerous edges. Good for a makeshift shiv. I'm offended by the lack of alternative colour of the sporks. Get with it America.

Saw that earlier, its good news. Now if they'll just give up the zero tolerance policy and make up a policy that utilizes rational thought. But then that may be too complex for some.

Back