Your Five Favorite Albums

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nirvana - Nevermind
Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
Weezer - Blue Album
Radiohead - OK Computer
Alt-J - An Awesome Wave

Nirvana - Nevermind
Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
Weezer - Blue Album
Radiohead - OK Computer

Alt-J - An Awesome Wave

39bee4f33728e1f54402d858540d373c-weekend-update-high-five.gif

I'll get in on that high five. My vinyl copy of OKC actually came two days ago, and MCIS came a few days prior to that. It's been a great week for music.

This is a quick read, so hopefully not boring. But this is the relatively brief story about how Nevermind changed my musical life:

Growing up, I went to a small Christian school, in a Christian household. For most of my childhood, my parents were insanely strict with media. They eventually converted to Catholic, which was much nicer. I'm not getting into a religious thing, but when it comes to what's okay and not okay for music, movies, etc - Catholics are way cooler.

Until 1991, my music consisted of The Beatles, Weird Al, and DC Talk. Now, obviously nothing needs to be said about The Beatles - they're still my favorite band ever. And Weird Al is awesome. But my music collection left much to be desired.

I was ten years old, watching MTV - that den of iniquity - and all of a sudden Smells Like Teen Spirit came on. If I wasn't raised so strictly, I'm pretty sure my response would have been, "What in the **** is THIS?" I was hooked. I bought the cassette at Caldor the next day. I had to hide it from my family. They didn't care about the music itself, but if they knew it was Nirvana, they'd take it away from me.

From there, it was on for me, musically speaking.

Fun Fact: this is literally the "stereo" I listened to the tape on in my room, which I took from my baby brother:

EOex7NU.jpg

That was a really cool read, man. :duff I remember my college buddy's girlfriend had the MCIS CD and she let me "borrow" several of the best songs. Onto a cassette tape. Remember those? :lol

Imma gonna cheat a little as in they're collections and not albums, but some of my faves. Not terribly unique or original but whatever. I hate hipsters.

The_Beatles_in_Mono.jpeg

rollingstoneshotrocks.jpg

Led_Zeppelin_-_Boxed_Set.jpg

I'll get in on that high five. My vinyl copy of OKC actually came two days ago, and MCIS came a few days prior to that. It's been a great week for music.

This is a quick read, so hopefully not boring. But this is the relatively brief story about how Nevermind changed my musical life:

Growing up, I went to a small Christian school, in a Christian household. For most of my childhood, my parents were insanely strict with media. They eventually converted to Catholic, which was much nicer. I'm not getting into a religious thing, but when it comes to what's okay and not okay for music, movies, etc - Catholics are way cooler.

Until 1991, my music consisted of The Beatles, Weird Al, and DC Talk. Now, obviously nothing needs to be said about The Beatles - they're still my favorite band ever. And Weird Al is awesome. But my music collection left much to be desired.

I was ten years old, watching MTV - that den of iniquity - and all of a sudden Smells Like Teen Spirit came on. If I wasn't raised so strictly, I'm pretty sure my response would have been, "What in the **** is THIS?" I was hooked. I bought the cassette at Caldor the next day. I had to hide it from my family. They didn't care about the music itself, but if they knew it was Nirvana, they'd take it away from me.

From there, it was on for me, musically speaking.

Fun Fact: this is literally the "stereo" I listened to the tape on in my room, which I took from my baby brother:

EOex7NU.jpg

I was too young to fully "get" Nirvana right when they first appeared (I was 11), but it didn't take long for me to get there. Maybe it's because I was there and lived through it, but the '90s seemed like a more angsty time than other times--something about post-modernism following the excesses of the '80s and the confusion and lack of national identity following the end of the Cold War maybe--and so it seems appropriate the the music that captured the imagination of the youth was among the angsty-est there ever was. But I have to say, over the years I have been able to appreciate Alice In Chains more than Nirvana, in terms of the quality of music they put out.

I was too young to fully "get" Nirvana right when they first appeared (I was 11), but it didn't take long for me to get there. Maybe it's because I was there and lived through it, but the '90s seemed like a more angsty time than other times--something about post-modernism following the excesses of the '80s and the confusion and lack of national identity following the end of the Cold War maybe--and so it seems appropriate the the music that captured the imagination of the youth was among the angsty-est there ever was. But I have to say, over the years I have been able to appreciate Alice In Chains more than Nirvana, in terms of the quality of music they put out.

Did you just say...Alice?

giphy.gif

:rock

That was a really cool read, man. :duff I remember my college buddy's girlfriend had the MCIS CD and she let me "borrow" several of the best songs. Onto a cassette tape. Remember those? :lol

Imma gonna cheat a little as in their collections and not albums, but some of my faves. Not terribly unique or original but whatever. I hate hipsters.

View attachment 158166

View attachment 158167

View attachment 158168
Well if I was to pick collections, those three would definitely be on my list. The Beatles would be my first pick but I would have to go with the stereo version. Yes many songs sound good on mono, but the stereo version really opens up the sound. Can't go wrong either way.:)

Back in Black - AC/DC
Californication - Red Hot Chili Peppers
Maladroit - Weezer
Performance and Cocktails - Stereophonics
Take off Your Pants and Jacket - Blink 182

Beastie Boys - Hello Nasty
The Killers - Hot Fuss
Jamie T - Kings and Queens
Weezer - Blue Album or Pinkerton
RHCP - By the Way

Awesome thread btw!

Last edited: