YEAAAAAAA!!! won my first ebay bid, and purchased my first collectable!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sell it! Sell whatever you just got, and get out while you still can :)

Best advice, believe me!

Sell it! Sell whatever you just got, and get out while you still can :)

Best advice, believe me!

If "collecting" is a disease, then i think my condition is terminal....i dont think i can go back!! lol. Im looking around almost everyday see whats out there. I have 2 more days till i get me first figure....cant wait. You know you got it bad when you know its not supposed to be there for a couple of days but you keep checking the tracking info every hour to see if anything has changed, lol

Welcome to the forum. Definitely read up on bid sniping, there are programs for every computer/platform and online services that don't require you to use a computer at all. Enter your maximum bid and the auction number, then forget about it until the auction is over.

Shill bids don't seem to be as common as they once were, but that may just be my own auction experience. eBay does have some back-end watchdogs looking out for this. IP number checking, the same account always bidding on auctions from another, etc. If you only bid your maximum, I wouldn't worry about it. You can also come in with a lower offer as the "second chance" isn't binding whatsoever. However, winning an auction because someone else retracted, is binding. One VERY important thing I didn't notice anyone else mention. If you ever receive any kind of second chance offer for whatever circumstances, make sure the message has come through the eBay system and not your regular email. In other words, make sure it's attached to a real auction listing by the real seller via eBay. Doing an off-eBay transaction is an invitation for fraud when you don't know the party you're dealing with.

In the meantime, enjoy this video.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. Definitely read up on bid sniping, there are programs for every computer/platform and online services that don't require you to use a computer at all. Enter your maximum bid and the auction number, then forget about it until the auction is over.

Shill bids don't seem to be as common as they once were, but that may just be my own auction experience. eBay does have some back-end watchdogs looking out for this. IP number checking, the same account always bidding on auctions from another, etc. If you only bid your maximum, I wouldn't worry about it. You can also come in with a lower offer as the "second chance" isn't binding whatsoever. However, winning an auction because someone else retracted, is binding. One VERY important thing I didn't notice anyone else mention. If you ever receive any kind of second chance offer for whatever circumstances, make sure the message has come through the eBay system and not your regular email. In other words, make sure it's attached to a real auction listing by the real seller via eBay. Doing an off-eBay transaction is an invitation for fraud when you don't know the party you're dealing with.

In the meantime, enjoy this video.

hey thanks for the advice, i have bid on a few items and it did seem strange how they were bidding so i just let them go. I basically set a price that made sense to me and stuck to my guns. The last item i won did send red flags because i had bid on joker dx08 and batman dx09 then i noticed it was the same seller. so about a day before auction ended (both ended almost at the same time, about 10 min difference) batman sky rocketed to $380 from $200 (i stopped bidding on batman at the $220 mark, i was more interested in the joker) I think i only bid on batman because it was the same owner...i know makes no sense but anywho's i decided to look at the bidding history on both and it was the same bidder, well at least what i could make out, it was something like i***j. so about 30 min before the auction ended i received a email (from ebay) telling me i was outbid by less than 2 dollars (i cant remember exactly) so i told myself ill decide within minutes of auction ending. So about 10 min before end i sat in the battle station preparing to set my high bid (my max was going to be $250 with shipping cost) i received another email with blah blah last bidder retracted blah blah. so i immediately checked the bid on the batman figure and he also retracted that bid, which in my mind i was going to wait to the last min to bid on joker because i was hoping he would be in a bidding war with someone on the batman where he would let the joker go. sooo i was wrong but any ways i was happy with the purchase (win). I had bid on a few other jokers and lost because i didnt want to go over $250 so the fact that i bought it under i can live with the possibilty that i was scammed to a point.

and sorry to get your pocket protector in a bunch with my poor grammer, but the video was funny i have to admit. thanks again.

The 'scam' is that a friend of the Seller bids against other buyers to raise the price, then drops out at the last minute, leaving the next highest bidder paying a higher price than if the friend of the Seller had not been bidding.. this activity is called 'shill bidding' ..but it is notoriously hard to prove beyond doubt, for obvious reasons.

The Seller may in every other way be a model of good business practice, they are however, ensuring they get the best price for an item, by dubious means.

This is particularly true if you and the bidder who drops out, have been the only bidders over a series of bids, because such auctions have a rather illogical outcome, in that your final bid is the one used for your 'second chance'.. to illustrate why this auction rule is illogical, I will give an example -
An auction occurs where there is only you and one other bidder.. the auction starts at $50 and you bid first.. the auction then goes up to $115 with just the two of you bidding before the auction ends, and the other 'winning' bidder drops out.. now logically you should only pay $50 because the other bidder by dropping out, technically should void all their bids, but due to established auction rules, your 'second chance offer' (your final bid) will probably be about $110.. despite the fact you have technically been bidding against yourself, because the only other bidder has dropped out.

Not sure what you mean by "drops out" . I think you mean the shill bidder wins the auction and doesn't pay right? Then the second chance offer is going to be higher and it might be a scam.

But this is not the same as if the highest bidder just retracts his last bid like the OP said. Then it goes back to the second to last bid + the minimum increment. Maybe you were referring to the situation where that shill bidder was bidding the whole time and only retracted the last bid? Then he may have only been there to drive the price up. I think I answered my own question :lol

Last edited:

:goodpost:

I did not know that.. fortunately that has not happened to me.

Not sure what you mean by "drops out" . I think you mean the shill bidder wins the auction and doesn't pay right? Then the second chance offer is going to be higher and it might be a scam.

But this is not the same as if the highest bidder just retracts his last bid like the OP said. Then it goes back to the second to last bid + the minimum increment. Maybe you were referring to the situation where that shill bidder was bidding the whole time and only retracted the last bid? Then he may have only been there to drive the price up. I think I answered my own question :lol

:hi5:

Back