Yan Toys 1/6th scsle Universe Emperor.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, what’s the verdict, buy or pass?
Neat palps, think a true HT release is far away.
I mean, personally, as someone who has the Hot Toys, I may buy it for the head sculpts. It looks like it has solid potential. The next Palps is the Clone Wars Sidious, who knows when they'll touch him next. I'm HOPING (and I think most think it's a real possibility) that we get the ROTS one for the anniversary but that's still some time away. Although, let's not forget they teased Phantom Menace for 2024 AND "Dark Side" (whatever they interpret that to mean), so all that to say, who really knows 🤣 We could get Senator Palps and we might get a Darth Sidious for "Dark Side"

I mean, personally, as someone who has the Hot Toys, I may buy it for the head sculpts. It looks like it has solid potential. The next Palps is the Clone Wars Sidious, who knows when they'll touch him next. I'm HOPING (and I think most think it's a real possibility) that we get the ROTS one for the anniversary but that's still some time away. Although, let's not forget they teased Phantom Menace for 2024 AND "Dark Side" (whatever they interpret that to mean), so all that to say, who really knows 🤣 We could get Senator Palps and we might get a Darth Sidious for "Dark Side"
thats the weird thing right now, both the Queen Amidala figure and This Pals COULD potentially happen with Hot Toys because of the Anniversary and "Dark Side" announcements. I assume they wont, but its Hot Toys. So WHO KNOWS!?

I’m skeptical Hot Toys will give us a Senator Palpatine from Phantom Menace.

Not sure what accessories he could come with besides extra hands. :lol He appeared in his Sith Lord hooded form but I think that was only through hologram communication.

HT tends not to make “civilian” type characters.

Hopefully there’s a young Anakin and any of the Padmes from TPM.

I don't mind this if someone needed a cheap ROTJ Emperor in their collection, but I'm happy with the Clone Wars version we have coming to represent Palps for now. Only thing that would get me to change would be if/when HT make an ROTS version

I’m just not sure. The sculpts all look like a cosplayer in excellent make up to me. None of them feel like him.

I don't like any of these sculpts. Maybe with proper futzing, IF and only IF the robes come out as good as they have shown, with the proper hood length (and not looking pointy like a KKK hood like that other 3rd party figure turned out looking) then you can get away with a decent looking emperor on the shelf, and a substitute for the Hot Toys.

180 is still asking too much for a mediocre unlicensed release.

Agreed. It comes with 3 headsculpts, and still, all of them look weird for different reasons.

This looks like they took a fan art image or comic book drawing of Palps and thought "good enough". It doesn't evoke ROTJ Palps at all IMO.

I wish these 3rd party companies would focus on giving us improved versions of older figures. Instead, many/most cater almost entirely to new collectors, giving us inferior versions of 5-10 year old figures simply because it's cheaper than paying aftermarket prices.

I'm happy many are seeing value in this release, I don't want to downplay that. It's just frustrating sometimes when characters I love get released multiple times by third party companies, without adding anything to existing versions (other than a cheaper price).

Agreed. It comes with 3 headsculpts, and still, all of them look weird for different reasons.

This looks like they took a fan art image or comic book drawing of Palps and thought "good enough". It doesn't evoke ROTJ Palps at all IMO.

I wish these 3rd party companies would focus on giving us improved versions of older figures. Instead, many/most cater almost entirely to new collectors, giving us inferior versions of 5-10 year old figures simply because it's cheaper than paying aftermarket prices.

I'm happy many are seeing value in this release, I don't want to downplay that. It's just frustrating sometimes when characters I love get released multiple times by third party companies, without adding anything to existing versions (other than a cheaper price).
I would argue that they are trying to do something new by offering 3 heads (and a saber) which is more than HT offered. Whether the quality is can be debated but they are trying to do something more than the older figure

I would argue that they are trying to do something new by offering 3 heads (and a saber) which is more than HT offered. Whether the quality is can be debated but they are trying to do something more than the older figure
Yeah good point, maybe I'm being overly critical here.
Looking at it again, the open mouth version still looks like *** to me (that's hard to pull off for any company) and the smiling sculpt is inferior to HT, but the neutral sculpt might not be bad. A decent repaint might actually bring out the likeness.

While they're at it, I also wish a company would finally make some new normal sized hands for Palps instead of recasting those oversized HT ones.

Yeah good point, maybe I'm being overly critical here.
Looking at it again, the open mouth version still looks like *** to me (that's hard to pull off for any company) and the smiling sculpt is inferior to HT, but the neutral sculpt might not be bad. A decent repaint might actually bring out the likeness.

While they're at it, I also wish a company would finally make some new normal sized hands for Palps instead of recasting those oversized HT ones.
I feel the same way about the neutral sculpt. I think it has a lot of potential to make for a nice rotj emperor sculpt with a decent repaint. The mouth also looks a bit too wide to me. But that could be an easy fix with some minimal usage of putty. The rest is really just futzing the hood imo.
PCIMG_2024-02-23_01-32-17.JPG

It “somehow” feels like this guy

View attachment 690472
Yeah ever since RotS the Emperor make up was more ‘bloated.’ I don’t know if that’s do to Ian’s age or just differences in the appliances. The RotJ make up had a papery thin appearance to it which is something you see with actual elderly people. Even with make up advances I feel RotJ feels more realistic, forehead lumps aside. Still don’t really get what’s going on with those :lol

What's this "dark side" announcement everybody keeps talking about?

A ROTS palps would be a grail

Back