XM Studios Thanos

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thinking about commissioning a custom head. Being a Starlin fan back in the day (when Magus had an afro), I think a classic Starlin/Lim head would put this statue over the top.

33kpusg.jpg

I say do it. That portrait fits really well with this statue. Has to look exactly like that, tho.

Agreed. I think it's a mix of factors - first of all, this really sold out very quick, even people with good contacts got cut off (ergo: butt hurt). Then, it directly challenges some of the most sought after pieces by competition - namely, the Sideshow diorama and Bowen's Thanos(es), ergo butt hurt again. In my opinion it simply blows them out of the water, I could never get over how Thanos has always been sculpted with ridicolous super defined anatomy and monkey-like faces, that's how Sideshow and Bowen made him. The anatomy work on the XM pieces is simply outstanding, perfectly balances his muscular build with the sculpted suit's adherence.
Just the fact that people complained about the base tells me that there's a lot of butt hurt/hate behind this piece being underrated. Base is fairly big, solid, has a good paint app and added details like the geometry on the steps, the two reapers on the side and the front Death skull - overall it's a good base and pays homage to the infinity gauntlet saga. The amount of backlash it got is ridicolous, if this is a bad base I'd like to know how to define the usual crappy rocky bases, "X" bases and "A" bases.

Seems like everything is "butt hurt" to you. Maybe you were butt hurt that ppl pointed out their opinions on this piece?
How does this justify yourself pointing out at others? IMO your post was pretty rude

Seems like everything is "butt hurt" to you. Maybe you were butt hurt that ppl pointed out their opinions on this piece?
How does this justify yourself pointing out at others? IMO your post was pretty rude

How is that rude?
Allow me to reiterate. Thanos base(s) got a ton of backlash, now I'd wish to know why people haven't gone to such extent criticizing, say, Galactus or Dark Rider's bases. Note that I picked two pieces that have a similar price point to Thanos and have very simple bases.
There have been a lot of talks about paint bleeds and black lines on Thanos' suit, but mine has very crisp and straight black lines on the perimeter of the gold portions, what should I say about the fact that Galactus has the same black lines but much worse on all the geometries of his suit, with purple paint bleeds on the silver portions (and still it's barely noticeable and Galactus is an awesome piece)?
Forgive me but, it stinks. A lot. I'm not butt hurt but when people get inconsistent I point it out and wonder why there's double standards going on, this is how I "justify myself pointing out at others".
And, forgive me a little more, but I'm still waiting for you to tell me how comes that Thanos is a statue that "doesn't have many accessories". You seem to imply that just because something is an "opinion", then other people can't inquire about it and/or point out things that don't add up. Just saying.

How is that rude?
Allow me to reiterate. Thanos base(s) got a ton of backlash, now I'd wish to know why people haven't gone to such extent criticizing, say, Galactus or Dark Rider's bases. Note that I picked two pieces that have a similar price point to Thanos and have very simple bases.
There have been a lot of talks about paint bleeds and black lines on Thanos' suit, but mine has very crisp and straight black lines on the perimeter of the gold portions, what should I say about the fact that Galactus has the same black lines but much worse on all the geometries of his suit, with purple paint bleeds on the silver portions (and still it's barely noticeable and Galactus is an awesome piece)?
Forgive me but, it stinks. A lot. I'm not butt hurt but when people get inconsistent I point it out and wonder why there's double standards going on, this is how I "justify myself pointing out at others".
And, forgive me a little more, but I'm still waiting for you to tell me how comes that Thanos is a statue that "doesn't have many accessories". You seem to imply that just because something is an "opinion", then other people can't inquire about it and/or point out things that don't add up. Just saying.

Why call others butt hurt? I'm still thinking you're butt hurt from the response you just gave. They offered their opinions but you called them out. Why not just state your point about how well you like your statue and that you received yours flawless. You confronting those that are so called "butt hurt" basically shows that you're butt hurt from their response.

You're reading my posts like if I was angry or something while I assure you, I'm not angry nor offensive, just stating my opinion. And I'm backing my points, while you're focusing (on purpose or by chance) on the perception you got of my post instead of replying to my statements, which is convenient for you.
To answer your question, when the average critic I read is "the base sucks" or "this statue of a character that in his entire publication history has literally two poses and three facial expression is a rip off of that Sideshow/Bowen statue" (derp) it's hard to assume that behind it there's anything else but a certain burn from people who often (still by chance) own those other pieces. Chris pointed out that this is somewhat an underrated piece, and I gave my opinion on the reason behind. I'm sorry it bugs you so much.

Thinking about commissioning a custom head. Being a Starlin fan back in the day (when Magus had an afro), I think a classic Starlin/Lim head would put this statue over the top.

33kpusg.jpg

If a Ron Lim Thanos statue like that existed I'd pay unreasonable amounts of money (and favours :wink1: )to own it.

33kpusg.jpg

This looks good with the custom head but imo the body would not match. It will need to be much thicker for his art style.

Well just got my Thanos in this morning. The postman was nice enough to carry the box inside my house. I had shoulder surgery last week so now I'm just sitting here in the living room starring at the box. I have to wait until my wife wakes up so she can unbox him for me...

Tons of frustration going on right now...

Well just got my Thanos in this morning. The postman was nice enough to carry the box inside my house. I had shoulder surgery last week so now I'm just sitting here in the living room starring at the box. I have to wait until my wife wakes up so she can unbox him for me...

Tons of frustration going on right now...

Be careful when you or your wife lifts up the box. This guy is heavy! My GF couldn't lift it herself Lol

Enjoy your awesome statue! :rock:

Be careful when you or your wife lifts up the box. This guy is heavy! My GF couldn't lift it herself Lol

Enjoy your awesome statue! :rock:

Thanks man! Well we got him set up and he definitely does have some weight to him (carried his body with my good arm ha).

Overall I'm very pleased with the statue.

The goods:

He has presence to him
The gold really pops and stands out
All 3 portraits were done very well

The bad:

Very minor paint issues, nothing alarming.
Infamous loose green gem

As stated earlier I'm overall very pleased and XM has another winner on their hands. I'm not sure what else they could have done to make this statue better minus a more elaborate base.

Thanks man! Well we got him set up and he definitely does have some weight to him (carried his body with my good arm ha).

Overall I'm very pleased with the statue.

The goods:

He has presence to him
The gold really pops and stands out
All 3 portraits were done very well

The bad:

Very minor paint issues, nothing alarming.
Infamous loose green gem

As stated earlier I'm overall very pleased and XM has another winner on their hands. I'm not sure what else they could have done to make this statue better minus a more elaborate base.

Yeah, this a seriously righteous looking statue. Congrats on picking him up. Hope your shoulder heals well and you have a quick recovery.

The Mad Titan is in the house...fortunately I can say there are no paint issues or problems with gems.

Simply put...this is a beast of a statue...nicely done XM.

Back