XM Studios Poison Ivy - KNIGHT of the RISING SUN 1/4 Premium Statue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Play Arts Kai has no problem moving Batman figures at $100+ a pop and they have a dozen Batman variations on the market already.

If these can sell, and 3A's duck foot Doom & IM figs can sell at ~$150ea, there's probably a market for a 1:4 scale, high quality, low ES run of collectibles of this nature as well.

SEP10538.jpg

images

That is a mighty big jump in price over those.

I'm laughing at certain know-it-all-fools that post way too much on this forum and act as though they're well connected and have said numerous times that XM would never get DC or that it was years away. Like you know S$%t. Quit pretending like you're somebody. :lol:cuckoo: XM WILL come to North America soon too. Again... I cannot resist laughing at certain buffoons. :lol As for the design, epic as always but I would ditch the Japan influence (as much as I love the Japanese) and get back to Batman basics.

That or some of the guys in the know who were connected simply said what they were asked to say or what they thought they should say, which was XMs line. They were not pursuing a DC line at the time. Saying TO MUCH TO SOON is what cost XM the full DC comics line the first time. Being quite and not showing their cards is what has allowed XM to get a lot of what they are doing lately. Some people have known about this line for a long time, they just weren't going to repeat the mistakes of old is all.

Pretty much what I'm seeing as well, and you're right this will appeal to some without a doubt. It's just not what everyone who wanted XM to have a DC license was expecting, but I guess they didn't want to wait another year and half or so.

I think if XM can meet or exceed DC/WB expectations with this challenge, it will open the door for them to get other DC licenses, maybe even the comic versions...

I think if XM can meet or exceed DC/WB expectations with this challenge, it will open the door for them to get other DC licenses, maybe even the comic versions...
Its not a matter of their skill or designs though. Its a matter of money and can they out spend SSC. Thats the only way they get the license away from them.

Its not a matter of their skill or designs though. Its a matter of money and can they out spend SSC. Thats the only way they get the license away from them.

It isn't even just about spending it is about production numbers as well. At its core XM is essential a 5 man opporation and they can't produce large enough ES to wrestle the license out of SSCs hands in any kind of affordable way. At least not yet.

Gut reaction is this design is light years better than Cat Woman, as I like the vine twisting up her torso and the plants with chompers extending from it. The umbrella is so so. All the masks I dislike, but that's largely in part b/c I dislike them and that style on anything whatsoever. At the concept stage I'd put this distant 2nd behind Batman, Joker 3rd and CW batting cleanup.

Basically agree.. But I think I like it better then Bats... But I would buy bats first because... well.... It's batman.

what I don't get is that XM can have the Marvel comic book license and the star wars license without the "shackle" of an asian influence. Not sure why DC is giving them such a hard time.

Having said that, their interpretive pieces look like home runs. But, I would kill for a "classic" xm bats and joker.

what I don't get is that XM can have the Marvel comic book license and the star wars license without the "shackle" of an asian influence. Not sure why DC is giving them such a hard time.

Having said that, their interpretive pieces look like home runs. But, I would kill for a "classic" xm bats and joker.

I am pretty sure that SSCs DC license is more ironclad then it's Marvel one, AND XM was able to negotiate their first Marvel license under the cover of darkness with absolutely no outside interference. SSC didn't know it was happening so they didn't even try to block it. When XM went after the DC license on the other hand, well, it got out there. XM hinted at it, people saw their designs at their shop and talked about it, and to be honest this community gave SSC all the knowledge it needed to A) Know the license was being discussed, B) stand up for its licensing rights and exerts some pressure, and C) block the deal given that XM could never make the profit for WB that SSC could. In the end it was an error by some that simply assumed that SSC couldn't do anything to affect XMs business, which by now has been proven to be untrue. It wasn't DC giving XM a hard time really. DC obviously still wanted to work with XM ough because they found this compromise.

I think DC is exploring their options, with the bombshell line doing so good why not try an Asian themed Batman...

I still doubt SS has much influence over DC or Marvel, bottom line is SS needs DC and Marvel more then they need SS. You really think SS is going to stop making DC statues (arguably their best selling line) because DC gives XM an license? Talk about cutting your nose off to spite your face.... I still think DC wants to see what XM can do and if their impressed enough who knows what the future holds...

I am pretty sure that SSCs DC license is more ironclad then it's Marvel one, AND XM was able to negotiate their first Marvel license under the cover of darkness with absolutely no outside interference. SSC didn't know it was happening so they didn't even try to block it. When XM went after the DC license on the other hand, well, it got out there. XM hinted at it, people saw their designs at their shop and talked about it, and to be honest this community gave SSC all the knowledge it needed to A) Know the license was being discussed, B) stand up for its licensing rights and exerts some pressure, and C) block the deal given that XM could never make the profit for WB that SSC could. In the end it was an error by some that simply assumed that SSC couldn't do anything to affect XMs business, which by now has been proven to be untrue. It wasn't DC giving XM a hard time really. DC obviously still wanted to work with XM ough because they found this compromise.

On the one hand, you say nothing XM does influences what SSC does and yet here you are saying that they do...so which is it? In any case, I still don't get why SSC would have any say on whether XM should get the DC comic license in asia. If they aren't "supposed" to ever be sold outside of asia, why should SSC care? It's just more money in DC's pocket to have both companies producing for them. In the end, I think XM will make DC comic based statues at some point...it's just a matter of time. This will be good for us collectors all around. I can't wait til there is a healthy competition that makes every company raise their standards and perhaps lower prices:lol

It isn't even just about spending it is about production numbers as well. At its core XM is essential a 5 man opporation and they can't produce large enough ES to wrestle the license out of SSCs hands in any kind of affordable way. At least not yet.

They'd have to out bid them, even in trying to wrestle it away from SSC, both with pricing and percentage per piece sold. Hard to do.

The Marvel License SSC Has only goes to certain regions. XM's only pertains to South East Asia. I believe when SSC negotiated the last License it was for World Wide rights to the scales and Themes they sought to produce. Therefore, XM can't acquire the license, even in their own territory. That's not fact, but it's logically why it's happening the way it's happening.

DC doesn't care who it works with, it wants the money from licensed products. If XM can sell these, by all means DC will grant them the license as long as it doesn't interfere with any other the other licenses they have with other companies, otherwise it opens them up to being in default of contract.

I think DC is exploring their options, with the bombshell line doing so good why not try an Asian themed Batman...

I still doubt SS has much influence over DC or Marvel, bottom line is SS needs DC and Marvel more then they need SS. You really think SS is going to stop making DC statues (arguably their best selling line) because DC gives XM an license? Talk about cutting your nose off to spite your face.... I still think DC wants to see what XM can do and if their impressed enough who knows what the future holds...

SSC only influence over Marvel and DC is the money they make them and the contracts they have with them. SSC obviously makes them both a good amount of money and the contracts they have are legally binding.

On the one hand, you say nothing XM does influences what SSC does and yet here you are saying that they do...so which is it? In any case, I still don't get why SSC would have any say on whether XM should get the DC comic license in asia. If they aren't "supposed" to ever be sold outside of asia, why should SSC care? It's just more money in DC's pocket to have both companies producing for them. In the end, I think XM will make DC comic based statues at some point...it's just a matter of time. This will be good for us collectors all around. I can't wait til there is a healthy competition that makes every company raise their standards and perhaps lower prices:lol

They care because any more 1/4scale statues being produced is money out of their pocket, even in regions SSC doesn't necessarily have the rights to distribute in. People find ways to get statues, if SSC wants to be the only 1/4 DC Comic/Movie/Game in town, then they care who else could hold the licenses. SSC Only cares about the money they put in DC's pockets, and they'd rather be the only ones doing so.

The only way XM gets the comic license away from Sideshow is to out bid them for their region. Which is possible, but it will have to wait until the current license contracts expire.

Oh I never said what XM does doesn't influence SSC I just said everything good that happens isnt because of XM. I do think that the fan reaction to XM has made SSC take notice, in both good and bad ways. Good for SSC collectors with a seemingly new commitment to customer service, though they are spending the money, bad for XM, because now the biggest dog on the block is watching them more carefully. XM has suffered because of that. As for XM inevitably getting a comicbook DC license I think there was a window for that, but I am not sure that window hasn't closed for the for see able future.

Last edited:
DC and Marvel make their money from their billion dollar movies not their drop in the bucket statue sales that net them what a few million at most?.... I agree SS has a right to whatever their contract says, but to assume SS has muscle to force DC/WB into making certain decisions outside of SS contract is ludicrous...

That is a mighty big jump in price over those.

No argument here, but the point remains that there's a market for abstract designs of comic characters. You couldn't give me a 3A Iron Man :lol but whether this 1:4 line could move 500-1000 units doesn't seem like a stretch imo.

DC and Marvel make their money from their billion dollar movies not their drop in the bucket statue sales that net them what a few million at most?.... I agree SS has a right to whatever their contract says, but to assume SS has muscle to force DC/WB into making certain decisions outside of SS contract is ludicrous...
Marvel and dc make ten times what the movies bring in through licenced priducts around the globe. Remember, theater figures include what the theater makes on sales as well. Millions of comic and movie related items for these characters hit shelves every year bringing billions of dollars per annum. SSC maybe a drop in that bucket but they currently are a topvthe market for their particular cog in the licensed market machine. So yeah they have pull in the sense that their sales record destroys just about everyone elses and their ability to pay licensing rights and percentages. Thats where their leverage lies.

The only way XM gets the comic license away from Sideshow is to out bid them for their region. Which is possible, but it will have to wait until the current license contracts expire.

Sideshow doesnt have the license in asia though right? why would someone have to outbid them for the DC license in asia?

Sideshow doesnt have the license in asia though right? why would someone have to outbid them for the DC license in asia?

I'm thinking they do. I can only speculate because none of us have access to the document but the only reason I can see that XM wouldn't be able to get a production license for Asia on comic versions of the characters is because someone else already has the rights. Now SSC may have issues distributing products to SE Asia, but that doesn't mean when the renegotiated the contract with DC they didn't buy world wide production rights just to keep other companies from producing products that might effect their main income source, specifically 1/4 scale Comic and Movie based properties especially on a license they've only had for a short period.

By the way I do have a link to a sample Licensing document with Marvel if anyone is interested in seeing what a licensing contract looks like.

Back