[XM Studios] Phoenix

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just from a story standpoint, Phoenix wouldn't have been in a Danger Room scenario like that because the Hologram/Hard Light version of the Danger Room didn't exist yet in the comics. That technology hadn't yet been acquired from the Shi'Ar... As a matter of fact, the X-Men were just meeting the Shi'Ar shortly after Jean became the Phoenix. They didn't get the DR upgrade until much later.

Sentinels are just something that wasn't prominent during Phoenix's time. If it works as a statue for some, it is what it is. I'm just a comic fan so so something like that just really stands out to me is all. I'm sure everyone has those "they changed from the source material" moments about something... A comic fan has PLENTY of those types of moments.

And for the record I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything, you like what you like and this base is the deal whether I like it or not. This base wouldn't keep me from buying it if I had plans to do so. It's just historically inaccurate if following continuity, which most statue collectors probably aren't going to care about anyway.

This is EXACTLY how I feel. I didn't want to say any of this because there seemed to be quite a few peeps wanting to defend the base. Cool. No problem. It doesn't work if you are a stickler for continuity. I am. Phoenix doesn't battle Sentinels. If the base looks great to everyone else...awesome. Carry on. I'm sure this piece is going to look great regardless.

Maybe Kayorzz or one of the XM guys will read this and talk to them about making a change. Big X fan here and I agree its inaccurate comic wise. I wouldn't want the base to hold anyone back from ordering a great sculpt. Self included.

SSC has some great bases. Some...not so much. While a figure is the most important thing, a great base puts a piece over the top. A bad one, can drag it down. For example, are peeps gonna say that the XM Mags would look just as good if he was sitting in a chair? Does anyone else besides me wish the new SSC Doom PF came with its original sneaked base instead of the toilet he's standing on? Bases matter. At least to me they do. And Phoenix battling Sentinels makes no sense to me. Again, if she looks FANTASTIC, I can probably over look it. If there's anything off about the figure...I can't. I'm not trying to offend peeps that like the base. I just don't care for it.

It's just the majority of SS bases are plain rocks. I know they put more effort in some of their other bases, but in general it's just a plain rock. Or sometimes just a giant A or X :)

I guess I can understand if some people are only going to buy phoenix they would want a different base, but for those of us who are collecting all of their X-Men statues the use of similar bases really makes them seem like a group working togeather

The problem is that Phoenix isn't really an X Men team member in the traditional sense. Her primary function was as a major story arc and more of a villain than anything, even to herself. The phoenix isn't going to be battling alongside the X Men fighting sentinels imo. Sure its possible but not the quintessential representation. Now jean grey on a sentinels base isn't an issue

The problem is that Phoenix isn't really an X Men team member in the traditional sense. Her primary function was as a major story arc and more of a villain than anything, even to herself. The phoenix isn't going to be battling alongside the X Men fighting sentinels imo. Sure its possible but not the quintessential representation. Now jean grey on a sentinels base isn't an issue

She could of been with magneto battling the x-men when the sentinels showed up and they had to join forces to take the sentinels out..... That's the thing with comics, any story is possible :)

She could of been with magneto battling the x-men when the sentinels showed up and they had to join forces to take the sentinels out..... That's the thing with comics, any story is possible :)

That angle is not a part of continuity. There is NO storyline where Phoenix battles Sentinels. Especially with Magneto in that era. Peeps here have to realize just how powerful Phoenix is and just how much more powerful she becomes as Dark Phoenix. This is a character that consumed a star and killed 5 billion people on the world that was in orbit around it. What is a Sentinel to a being that poweful? I'd rather have her on a rock or have a space/cosmic slant to the base. But hey, that's just me. :dunno

That angle is not a part of continuity. There is NO storyline where Phoenix battles Sentinels. Especially with Magneto in that era. Peeps here have to realize just how powerful Phoenix is and just how much more powerful she becomes as Dark Phoenix. This is a character that consumed a star and killed 5 billion people on the world that was in orbit around it. What is a Sentinel to a being that poweful? I'd rather have her on a rock or have a space/cosmic slant to the base. But hey, that's just me. :dunno

Here's proof she fought sentinels :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiYHO1ZQpOk

tumblr_n5m4zoHmTm1s2lswpo2_1280.jpg

This is EXACTLY how I feel. I didn't want to say any of this because there seemed to be quite a few peeps wanting to defend the base. Cool. No problem. It doesn't work if you are a stickler for continuity. I am. Phoenix doesn't battle Sentinels. If the base looks great to everyone else...awesome. Carry on. I'm sure this piece is going to look great regardless.

So Phoenix never battled Nimrod in the comics? That was a futuristic Sentinel right? Btw....I at this point don't care what kind of base Phoenix is on in all honesty. I am not highly familiar with the XMEN specifics in the comics like I am with The Avengers. I read tons of X-Man books, I am not as knowledgeable about the history as you and peedi seem to be. So I will definitely leave that specialty to you guys.

I just want to see the final product. Yeah, I must admit...I never knew Phoenix didn't battle a Sentinel....hell I didn't even know that was possible...lol. Setinels hunt all mutants I thought.

See I was always under the impression that the Green version of Phoenix was Jean Gray.....They just called her Phoenix. Besides, Phoenix is a force...not a mutant. But ya.....I'll go along with you X-fanatics with this one. Now if you want to talk Avenger...then I can go toe to toe with anyone. And especially anything dealing with Thor (my favorite all time comic character w/ Superman a close second).

So Phoenix never battled Nimrod in the comics? That was a futuristic Sentinel right? Btw....I at this point don't care what kind of base Phoenix is on in all honesty. I am not highly familiar with the XMEN specifics in the comics like I am with The Avengers. I read tons of X-Man books, I am not as knowledgeable about the history as you and peedi seem to be. So I will definitely leave that specialty to you guys.

I just want to see the final product. Yeah, I must admit...I never knew Phoenix didn't battle a Sentinel....hell I didn't even know that was possible...lol. Setinels hunt all mutants I thought.

I'm just a HUGE X-MEN fan and I'm more of a stickler for continuity. Since her 1st appearance (Uncanny X-MEN # 101) to her death by suicde on the moon (Uncanny X-MEN 137) there have been no battles against Phoenix and Sentinels. Now she has been reincarnated and died lord knows how many times since then but I don't recall a Sentinel storyline in any of those appearances.

OK, at this point I'm pretty much done. I think that I have said just about everything I can think of on the topic and we'd (all of us discussing the issue) just spend time running around in circles. If this sculpt looks great, I'm sure that plenty of peeps will buy it. I think it's safe to say that the base is not going to make or break this statue. Peace boys!

Did they actually say this was going to be Dark Phoenix or just (green) Phoenix?
Because if it was green Phoenix then the base would make sense.

They're still working on various ideas afaik
there's even an idea for the phoenix to have a light-up, kinda like a lamp
but it's all in the design phase still
just keep the ideas in here flowing and who knows, they might just use one of your suggestions

They're still working on various ideas afaik
there's even an idea for the phoenix to have a light-up, kinda like a lamp
but it's all in the design phase still
just keep the ideas in here flowing and who knows, they might just use one of your suggestions

awesome to hear..they should make the phoenix bird in the background out of the same material as the water on deaths siren…it would look cool, and then if you can light that up with the eyes of a dark phoenix…done

Back