XM Studios Comic Thor

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If this is gonna happen, excited to see what Sosa comes up with. Spinning hammer included :)

Sounds like he is tweaking the overall statue and doing a completely new head. That's what I am surmising from hints and comments that have been dropped.

I liked the Thor and imo it only needed a few tweaks that I had no doubt XM would make. :wave

If this is a completely new statue handled by Erick...it'll put me on a slippery slope. I REALLY wanted a classic Thor for my collection but I also dig his modern costume. I personally think the modern Thor PF by SSC is stunning. However, if Erick crushes it with a whole new classic sculpt, I have a decision to make. I'll only have room for one 1/4 Thor in my collection. So, something will have to give. I'm looking forward to seeing how this XM Thor turns out. I hope I have a tough decision to make because that means both pieces will look stellar to me. Can't go wrong with that.

I thought he was just adding tweaks to this sculpt with sculpey or wax and redoing the head sculpt? very odd you guys are just assuming this. I personally like the pose and sculpt already, it just needed some minor tweaking.

Well, I did start off my last post with..."If". Rumor has it that this is an all new sculpt though. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Hopefully, we'll hear something definitive either way soon. Since this was set to display at the Singapore Con, maybe we'll get some info around that time.

I thought he was just adding tweaks to this sculpt with sculpey or wax and redoing the head sculpt? very odd you guys are just assuming this. I personally like the pose and sculpt already, it just needed some minor tweaking.

Because of this AJ.

Cool by Spidey saying that the news is out then

The whole statue has been scrapped. Sosa is now doing it

Ok, so Nov 14 is the original PO date for this Thor statue. Is XM still planning on the same PO date or is the PO date going to be pushed to the right because of this?

Wow, a lot has happened in a day. I was going to post earlier that Thor needed bigger calves ...like someone else posted, but never expected this to happen. I'm in agreement with those that said this statue was already good. However, if Eric is going to be creating a whole new sculpt ...or even tweaking the original ...I'm all for it. I really like Mr. Sosa's work.

At the same time, I want to give credit to the sculptor for the original statue because really it looked good.

While I'm excited to see what XM comes up with next if it is indeed a whole new sculpt, I really feel bad for Tony C who I'm sure worked very hard on this statue, and I definitely appreciated the effort. The pose is spot on fits the group display wonderfully which is why I'd prefer to keep it and just tweak it.

Yeah, I really like the pose of this guy and the attitude the piece exudes. Tweak it and modernize it and success.

XM got them beat on Hawkeye and the IM MK 42...that's for darn sure! I feel they have the best Hulk face as well...but that is opinion...just like your opinion of XM not being able to do a headsculpt. What you should in fact be saying, is that every artist that makes statues for them (i.e. Tony Cipriano, Mufizal, •Ioannis Karathomas, Suheryanto Hatmaja, and •Alejandro Pereira Ezcurra) don't know how to do headsculpts.:thwak

I will take the Black Widow XM headsculpts (both short hair and redone long hair) over the SS Black Widow any day.

But hey, this is all subjective. I for one like the headsculpts and have no problem with them. That's just me.

They have a very rough an sloppy look about them. I think it's part the texture and part the paint. I've not seen one in person so that may change as I've already got money in two statues from XM.

I just don't see the real quality of some customs I have and some SS pieces I have. You mention the Ironman, you surely can't be talking about this one are you ? - https://www.xm-studios.com/iron-man-mark-xlii.aspx

That's not very good, not only does it not look like him, the paint is questionable and that texture I mentioned, it's very rough. I see the same style of HS on all of their pieces, it's hard to put a finger on it, but they all have exactly the same problems. Maybe it's just my eye's though but they don't look as finished as other companies. The design, pose and feel of their statue's is very good - as good if not better than anyone, but I've still got reservations over their paint and sculpts. Hopefully that changes.

Not cool.... This wasn't our news to share
That is something that has been nagging at me for some time. I have already put in my deposits for a couple of XM's pieces, so I am serious about owning some of their works and seeing them succeed.

My problem has been with the apparent proliferation of actual XM "insiders," or, worse yet, "insider wannabes" who have no official connection with XM Studios but seem to have no filters when it comes to divulging information which may or may not be appropriate for sharing with the collecting community at a certain point. Rampant speculation can all too often turn into baseless rumor which isn't a good thing. I am not associated with XM but, if it were my company, I would be very careful about who is told what, and where it is acceptable to share that information. I would hate to see over anxious hangers-on, with no real intention of laying down hard-earned cash for their products, irritate the XM guys, or even cause them some grief because something that was supposed to remain under wraps is let out too early for the community to openly discuss.

Don't get me wrong, I love seeing the WIP pics and am grateful for a company which affords us collectors some early peaks into their processes, as well as listening to suggestions. I do think it would be wise, though, to respect XM as a growing business, and treat it as such. For us, XM is another opportunity to pick up some high quality collectibles. For them, it is their livelihoods.

Ryan

That is something that has been nagging at me for some time. I have already put in my deposits for a couple of XM's pieces, so I am serious about owning some of their works and seeing them succeed.

My problem has been with the apparent proliferation of actual XM "insiders," or, worse yet, "insider wannabes" who have no official connection with XM Studios but seem to have no filters when it comes to divulging information which may or may not be appropriate for sharing with the collecting community at a certain point. Rampant speculation can all too often turn into baseless rumor which isn't a good thing. I am not associated with XM but, if it were my company, I would be very careful about who is told what, and where it is acceptable to share that information. I would hate to see over anxious hangers-on, with no real intention of laying down hard-earned cash for their products, irritate the XM guys, or even cause them some grief because something that was supposed to remain under wraps is let out too early for the community to openly discuss.

Don't get me wrong, I love seeing the WIP pics and am grateful for a company which affords us collectors some early peaks into their processes, as well as listening to suggestions. I do think it would be wise, though, to respect XM as a growing business, and treat it as such. For us, XM is another opportunity to pick up some high quality collectibles. For them, it is their livelihoods.

Ryan

Completely agree, great post.

"Insider wanna be's" :lol

Ryan

Ryan...I respect your opinion, and I can tell your post was crafted from a sincere point of view.

But the reality of the situation is we live in a social media driven world. Folks crave information 24/7...people want to know the inside scoop...it's the by product of our "instant gratification" mentality that has gripped our country. You mentioned that if it were your company you would be very careful of about who is told what. I'm sure many business owners concur with that sentiment, but information still gets out. For example, how many times have you read a story about insider knowledge regarding the negotiations of some star athlete's contract? I'm sure both sides involved in the negotiations do not want inside information regarding salary negotiations to be leaked to the public...but it happens routinely. In fact, I believe many companies allow stories to "leak" simply because it represents free publicity for their respective company. Let's be honest, there is a significant amount of excitement surrounding XM based on the WIP pics and insider knowledge. Customers / potential customers want to know what is going on....or feel as if they have some inside knowledge as to what is going on.

I don't think it is a matter of "respecting" XM...insider leaks are the price you pay for being in business. Companies either understand that fact and adapt, or those company don't make it. Bottom line....people are going to continue to request and/or crave insider information regarding XM products. There are going to be people that portray themselves as XM insiders. However, I believe all of us need to take any "insider knowledge" with a grain of salt.

IMHO folks should enjoy the XM WIP process pictures, cautiously listen to news regarding XM products, actively solicit information from forum members who actually own XM products, and try to make the best possible decision in regards to purchasing XM products.

The man still makes the point though, there's folk on this site that just like the forum and the interaction, they don't actually buy this stuff. It's a good post with lots of valid points.

Completely agree, great post.

"Insider wanna be's" :lol

The man still makes the point though, there's folk on this site that just like the forum and the interaction, they don't actually buy this stuff. It's a good post with lots of valid points.

+1

The point is let XM disclose the info. If you are given info in confidence, that confidence should not be broken. That's never cool no matter where or how it happens.

Back