Xensation Game of Thrones

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am stuck in the same place with Bronn. I still haven't seen a single picture that has been even slightly impressive. Which is really a shame because their first two figures were terrific.

Its not just the poor sculpt, but also the super-simplistic outfit that doesn't appear to be the correct colors. The pleather is green and his "ascot" is blue. Its like it was slapped together from materials they had left over. And the belt is atrociously cheap looking - and doesn't even match the source. I have trouble finding a redeeming aspect to the figure. Its a real head-scratcher too as, like you said, the first two figures were phenomenal. But one always has to be the worst. Too bad it fell upon Bronn.

84yu24336ez21.jpg

a987a709f9ee9e0518600fe87000b6a0.jpg

Attachments

• 84yu24336ez21.jpg
    84yu24336ez21.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
Yeah, I'm not crazy about the look of Bronn either. I ordered him to support the line and because he was pretty cheap. Hoping they made some changes between pre-order and shipping that they just haven't posted. Mine shipped several weeks ago, but the tracking says it's still stuck in Asia. I'm guessing the shipping company is waiting to fill a ship before setting sail. Whenever he eventually arrives I'll post some pics if he looks significantly different in hand.

If he looks good I'll be happy to add Grey Worm to the shelf.

Haven't pulled the trigger on Bronn, even though he is one of my favourites. Far from impressed with what they showed, but still hoping in hand pics might show enough improvement to change my mind.

Bronn for me is the same problem as Grey Worm, no one to go with him. Need a new Jaime. Threezero sure is dragging their feet. I suppose it can be HBO's approval time or something like that though.

Yeah, I'm not crazy about the look of Bronn either. I ordered him to support the line and because he was pretty cheap. Hoping they made some changes between pre-order and shipping that they just haven't posted. Mine shipped several weeks ago, but the tracking says it's still stuck in Asia. I'm guessing the shipping company is waiting to fill a ship before setting sail. Whenever he eventually arrives I'll post some pics if he looks significantly different in hand.

Tracking says he's just arrived on the west coast. Should be just a few more days before he gets to Jersey. I'll report back when he arrives.

4B47799A-CE24-40D7-B517-FAA67A8A2B1B.jpeg

0C46E57C-234F-4874-A3FC-001518A41A40.jpeg

Arrived yesterday... thought the sculpt came out on in the end though the clothing is a bit flimsy...

Sculpt desperately needs a repaint but the likeness is there (unfortunately not much attitude).

But its the clothing that seems like Xensation felt this figure was where they were going to make a bit more profit than usual. It totally feels like left-over material from other figures bashed together for this figure. I know its not, but that's how it feels to me when I look at it. Davos and Tywin were really exceptional.

Hmm. The profile looks better than the straight angle, but for me it's probably only 75% there. That's a bummer.

What puzzles me is that they didn't get the nose right. Jerome Flynn has a very distinctive nose. (Hell, they even make reference to it in the show at one point.) This line is unlicensed, so it's not like they had to make him more handsome in order to get talent approval.

What would have saved the whole thing for me, though - regardless of how much it looks like the actor - is if they'd had him smirking. The neutral "museum" expression just doesn't work for this character. Give him a sardonic smirk and you're getting closer to Bronn's neighborhood.

Hmm. The profile looks better than the straight angle, but for me it's probably only 75% there. That's a bummer.

What puzzles me is that they didn't get the nose right. Jerome Flynn has a very distinctive nose. (Hell, they even make reference to it in the show at one point.) This line is unlicensed, so it's not like they had to make him more handsome in order to get talent approval.

What would have saved the whole thing for me, though - regardless of how much it looks like the actor - is if they'd had him smirking. The neutral "museum" expression just doesn't work for this character. Give him a sardonic smirk and you're getting closer to Bronn's neighborhood.

I agree. I just hope that Grey Worm gets Xensation back on track with this line. A few more Bronn's and they'll drop GoT based on sales.

I agree. I just hope that Grey Worm gets Xensation back on track with this line. A few more Bronn's and they'll drop GoT based on sales.

100%.

That's the reason I ordered Bronn in the first place. Trying to show support for the line. Luckily he wasn't expensive. But I can't do that too many times.

There's always going to be "the worst figure" in a line... so now we have it. Let's get better.

Besides the Bronn sculpt, I feel like I'd need to repaint the jerkin (and I fear the paint will rub right off over time) and you really need to twist the hell out of those sleeves to get some wrinkles and wear in there, and I'm not certain they will keep over time (or the pleather will crack).

Last edited:
Just cracked Bronn open. He's a character I've really wanted, so I'm glad Xensation did him even if the result could've been stronger.

Some random impressions:

- I do think the likeness is slightly better in person than the photos so far.
- Expression straight on is reminding me of Jorah
- Will probably try a wash around the eyes to bring out more wrinkles
- Tunic is missing the stitching down the back
- Really needs his knife!
- scarf is wrong, but easy to replace
- Why is he wearing Aragorn's boots? (Don't answer; I know.)
- Weird floppy black body underneath (Nazgul?)

- Why is he wearing Aragorn's boots? (Don't answer; I know.)
- Weird floppy black body underneath (Nazgul?)

This confirms my fear that this was a bash job thrown together quickly from left overs from the Asmus LOTR line. I recognized the material used for the shirt, but didn't realize the boots were also Aragorn's.

I do hope that sales on this serve as a lesson to Xensation. Shame it had to be on such a good character.

That all said, if you can get something out of that tunic (change color and get some wear and wrinkles) and change the scarf, it will be improved greatly.

So the Mercenary has arrived and I'm ... pleasantly surprised!

Based on the pics, I was bracing for a pretty bad likeness. In hand, while it's not the best, it IS much better than I was expecting. He's immediately recognizable. Most of the way there. Though I still say a mischievous smirk would have gone a long way to sell the resemblance.

image0.jpeg

I try not to get too picky on cheaper, unlicensed figures, but if I have a gripe it's the costume. I'm not bothered by the recycled Aragorn boots. But the fabric materials ... yikes. The pants and tunic seem to be a really cheap pleather (think old Sideshow Aragorn or Indiana Jones). It's very thin while also being very stiff. Almost crinkly. I think it's probably going to resist most attempts at futzing and feels like it's going to be prone to cracking and flaking not too far down the road. I understand that they need to keep their costs rock bottom on these unlicensed figures (since they could get shut down by the rights holder at any time), but ...

The biggest puzzlement for me with this release is the fact that he seems to be wearing a fat suit under the tunic. Bronn? He's a very lean and wiry guy. Why would they do that? Maybe the tunic was slightly too big for the body and they were trying to smooth out weird looking wrinkles? No idea. But there's no way I'm undressing him to find out. There's no way I'd be able to get that tunic off without destroying it. (I suspect he's actually glued into it.)

image1.jpeg

Anyhow, the short version is: I like him, don't love him. Four out of five stars for the sculpt. Two for the outfit. Five for the pricetag. Doesn't really have any accessories to speak of. (The sword is pretty generic and seems to be the same as the one that came with Davos with a few minor alterations to the pommel. No idea if either is accurate to the screen-used props. Doubt it strongly.) Would have been nice to get his dagger.

But overall, he's fine. Solid B-minus. Passes muster for the price.

Your top pic is probably the best pic I've seen of the likeness.

Outfit being un-futzable is the deal breaker for me. Oh, and the no knife.

Basically he looks good at most angles that aren't straight on. Currently I have him on top of a Detolf and since I'm pretty short, the slightly upward angle looks pretty good.

The view from my home office chair ...

image0 (1).jpeg

But yeah, that pleather ... very curious to see if any of the crazy talented customizers around these parts will have a go at him. Bummer that you won't be one of them. You always do such excellent mods!

Last edited:
Thanks for posting pics of the figure. This one has to be a pass for me. I hope to be more impressed with their Grey Worm. And at the very least hope to see V2 3Z figs of Arya, Dany, and Jaime. Should be seeing Joffery soon i would think.

But yeah, that pleather ... very curious to see if any of the crazy talented customizers around these parts will have a go at him. Bummer that you won't be one of them. You always do such excellent mods!

I appreciate the vote of confidence. I'm eager to see what RaymondF and davejames and several others will do with this one. But like you, I fear that pleather cracking apart over time.

I wonder if there's a suitable replacement jerkin (or whatever its called) out there from another figure. Maybe you could just re-glue those belt closures onto a better jacket.

Also, like that you have Mola Ram on your detolf!

Back