Would paint chip/crack on soft mold heads?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

potato

Super Freak
Reaction score
I have a few 1/6 heads that are made of soft rubber which you can soften even more when applying hot water on it, like the Takara ones

I'm wondering do you guys paint these soft heads? If so what type of paint or preparation do you use to prevent the paint from coming off/cracking when the head is being pressed?

Also what type of paint does the factory use as they seem to be pretty tough no matter how you deform the head, the eye/eyebrow/hair paint just sticks and flex like the rubber.

thanks for the advise but just wondering those soft type heads, what type of paint did the factory use since they seems indestructible.

I wouldn't paint it until after you do anything that you have to involving putting it in hot water, and any other alterations you need to do. Once you have it on the figure and ready to paint, it really shouldn't be any different than painting any other head.

Good luck!

thanks for the advise but just wondering those soft type heads, what type of paint did the factory use since they seems indestructible.

I would think they use solvent/lacquer based paints. Reason being I tried stripping factory paints off vinyl heads and they only come off when I used lacquer based thinners.

The factories mostly use cellulose vinyl paints, not easy to come by or use. I personally use Liqitex acrylic in thin washes and splattered with airbrushing once all hair punching or modelling is done.

Liquitex Paint is pretty flexible I use it on 1/6 scale heads/hands.

Back