Statue Wolf Predator Legendary Scale Bust

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

These are the Sideshow Freaks folks that posted a confirmed pre-order, but haven’t posted a final decision yet.

If you are reading this (and don’t mind sharing), could you please let us know:
• If you cancelled.
• If you have this in-hand and have made a decision.​

No_decision_-_Sideshow_Freaks_v01.jpg

I haven't received mine yet, but I will be returning it unfortunately. The whole head being made of PCV is a deal breaker for me. I have all the other LSB busts, even the P2 savage edition, and I was excited for this piece for the longest time. So I'm both pissed and sad that this will not be in my collection. With all the problems and returns that sideshow is going to have with this bust, it pretty much guarantees there will be no LSB preds or aliens after this. I'm still ******** that they never made the elder pred LSB, so this bums me out because the LSB line is one of my favorites. I also used $150 in reward points, so I won't be getting those back, sucks. I don't think I will be buying any more statues from sideshow either. So I will be returning. I won't get it until Wednesday so I will update if there are any issues with mine.

A while ago, the topic of PVC vs Polystone was discussed on Statue Forum, as there has constantly been this misconception around here that PVC is cheap and Sideshow use it simply because it's cheaper to produce. Here's a post from Jerry of PCS on this topic, which will hopefully shed some light on the topic...

Who cares, it looks cheap!

Agree mate, I'm not defending this piece...I've already mentioned that I think it looks crap. Just sharing this info for those that think there is some kind of conspiracy going on and that PVC is being used because they are being cheap, which I don't think is the case.

For what it's worth, my preference is polystone too, but I think PVC definitely has its place. Blitzway use it to great effect for the headsculpts on their statues, which have polystone bodies. No Sideshow headsculpt will even come close to the realism of Blitzways.

I think this bust should have been a combination of polystone and PVC. Polystone for the head, PVC for the dreads and quills to avoid breakage.

Hey yeah man! Think Prime 1 will ever attempt a Pred statue or a bust?

Yes, starting with the one that needs some love... https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/.../180235-predator-2-city-hunter-prime-1-a.html

Just curious, but if this had maintained the crisp details from the proto, had an excellent paintjob and without that visible seam, would you all be happy with it, or would you still be annoyed it's made of PVC and send it back for a refund?

If mine arrived perfect, it still would have gone straight back. I honestly couldn't care less what anybody says about plastic costing more to produce, it looks crap, it smells crap and it feels unbelievably crap. You have to see this thing and hold it in your hands to fully realise how bad the material is. It looks okay from a distance, and the pictures people are posting are doing it a huge service as they make it look better than it does. In reality it looks... plastic, like a neca figure or something. This is a $650 collectible, that doesn't offer a single indication of any kind of quality, and that is almost entirely due to the material used, there's nothing "high quality" about this plastic.

Fortunately, it seems that the people have spoken with this one. If the man of plastic PF wasn't enough to get through to the decision makers over at SSC. The incredible return rate and negative publicity on this Wolf just might.

I think this bust should have been a combination of polystone and PVC. Polystone for the head, PVC for the dreads and quills to avoid breakage.

I have already stated this. You seem to have a misconception that we are misinformed or uninformed about PVC, which is not the case. In fact, as a mechanical engineer I design plastic parts for production tooling. That's my day job. So I am quite aware. Also, I have held, touched, smelled and looked at this thing up close. Have you?

And to sum up what seems like your ongoing PVC push...

The problem about PVC is that you need to experiment on it to fully utilizes it. I don't know much about the material but I also collected some figurine fron JP. Look at those *cough* anime girls figurines *cough* for example. Some of them have the crispiest details and best skin textures I've ever seen. *cough*
Companies like Good Smile Company uses unique type of plastic for flesh parts and some kind of special matt-finished for non-organic parts like fabrics. They look fantastic, thick and very durable.

What might be the case here is that SS was just (half-a**) using PVC without experimenting on it. There should be questions like: What type of PVC should I use to best replicate the skin? What kind of paint and coating should I use to made overall textures as real as possible? How could I reinforced such PVC to add more weight and not make it looks cheap? Should I use it on sample or lesser products to see reactions from customers first?

Had they done those, this product won't turned out to be such a disaster. People paid $650 and hope for a decent half polystone bust, instead they got an oversized Funko pop. Good job SS.

If mine arrived perfect, it still would have gone straight back. I honestly couldn't care less what anybody says about plastic costing more to produce, it looks crap, it smells crap and it feels unbelievably crap. You have to see this thing and hold it in your hands to fully realise how bad the material is. It looks okay from a distance, and the pictures people are posting are doing it a huge service as they make it look better than it does. In reality it looks... plastic, like a neca figure or something. This is a $650 collectible, that doesn't offer a single indication of any kind of quality, and that is almost entirely due to the material used, there's nothing "high quality" about this plastic.

Fortunately, it seems that the people have spoken with this one. If the man of plastic PF wasn't enough to get through to the decision makers over at SSC. The incredible return rate and negative publicity on this Wolf just might.

Great post mate, explained well. I wouldn't have wanted an all plastic bust either. I was just curious what people's thoughts were on it, and what made people hate it, whether it was the paint, exposed seam or simply knowing it's made of plastic. Was curious if their opinions would be different if the paintjob was great, details were great and you couldn't tell it was plastic.
I have already stated this. You seem to have a misconception that we are misinformed or uninformed about PVC, which is not the case. In fact, as a mechanical engineer I design plastic parts for production tooling. That's my day job. So I am quite aware. Also, I have held, touched, smelled and looked at this thing up close. Have you?

And to sum up what seems like your ongoing PVC push...

You seem awfully defensive man, and I'm not sure why. So you already stated that...that's great, so what? I missed your post where you stated that.

I don't have a misconception about anything. I never mentioned you specifically, so I'm not sure why you felt my post was directed at you. You only joined the forum in May...this goes much further back then that. There is a long history on this forum of people assuming PVC = cheap and therefore said company is using this product because it's cheaper.

I honestly don't care what you do for a job man...not sure why you feel the need to tell me or to tell me you've held this bust up close, as I had already stated I think the bust is crap. I haven't defended it in the slightest. All I did was share some friendly information about PVC that I thought some people here might find useful and you got triggered for some reason.

There is definitely no ongoing PVC push from me. Why the hell would I do that? I don't work for Sideshow, so I have no reason to convince people that using PVC is great, lol.

Your entire post was unnecessary to be honest.

Okay, I gave it a few days as I wasn't in the best position to talk about this thing, I thought it wise to take a step back or I'd probably have been banned from the forum if I'd given my honest opinion last week ;) here's a few images of mine and my views, nothing special picture wise as I've just moved and don't have much to hand, just my trusty camera. I took it outside for some natural light shots with a couple in doors. I should note, it looks better in pictures as you don't pick up on the plastic look that is very obvious in person. Plus the paint really pops which I can't actually see much of as I sit looking at it while typing this. On with it...

I almost fell over when SSC first revealed this, it is a staggeringly beautiful sculpt, and despite hitting us with an absolute bomb when they revealed the $650 price, and then didn't offer the classy nameplate to boot which meant it wouldn't quite fit with the others. I had to have this thing. after a few "meh" Predator items, some of which I still enjoyed none the less, this thing was a huge leap for sideshow, and could even have been seen as a statement that they can keep up in a game where the competition for this license has really taken off lately. So expectations were very high, as was my excitement for this.
So how were the first impressions. Well they were lowered very much by the fact that others received this before me and reported that it was indeed plastic. This is a good thing as had I not seen or heard anything before receiving mine, I think I'd have been shocked and annoyed beyond belief. As it were, I had low expectations, and very little excitement by the time mine arrived. So that kept my expectations in check, but I was still shocked at how cheap this thing actual feels in person. The only word for it is nasty tbh, there's no sugarcoating it. It's shocking that a $650 collectible was ever green lit to ship like this and I'm not surprised to see the return stats on the various social media platforms. My next realisation was that the head doesn't actually fit the body properly which boggles the mind as to how the factories are getting away with this kind of basic stuff? My P1 bio didn't connect to its stand either so this is hardly a one off. There's loads of other flaws, various scratches and chips etc, plus the gloriously care free act of the dreads being numbered with large engraved numbers in full site. But I'll swerve all of that and focus on the actual bust itself.

The thing is, there's some really good things to say about this bust, and that's the saddest thing, they had a gem here and for some reason, they messed it up by choice. I will be the first to admit that even in it's horrible plastic form, this bust kind of looks really good! I mean it has a really cheap plastic look up close like a Neca figure, but if you sit back and put it on a shelf, it looks nice. I'm not saying that is acceptable at this price point, it isn't! I also like how they did the quills, they're flexible. I worry constantly about the rigid quills on the others And visible seams are such an amateur thing, it's just mind boggling! They are totally unacceptable. It lost detail over the prototype for sure, this is much softer which is ironic given that retaining detail is apparently the reason "High quality" (but not really) PVC is utilised. But it's still a nice looking bust none the less. I've heard a lot of complaints about the paint. Some people suggesting that is the soul reason they are returning it. But actually, while it certainly isn't even close to being great, I don't think it's completely terrible. And being "not terrible" is fairly decent praise these days. It has some diabolical parts such as the veins in the mouth (what's new) and the black spotting is really bad, it looks to be slopped on with a brush. And there's some wrong colours used naturally, but over all there are at least a few different shades, all be it rough around the edges with no subtlety at all. I suspect I'm just tainted by very poor paint apps in general, but this could have been worse. I'm not sure I expect any more from a Sideshow Predator anyway.

So I'll wrap up. like most, I spent a year + being excited for this thing, a truly beautiful sculpt that has been destroyed by somebodies poor decision to make the entire thing plastic. And now rather than being a piece to talk about for all of the right reasons, it has become quite the opposite. You have to see this thing in person to know just how cheap and nasty it feels. And it's such a shame, it really is. Had it been $150, fine! But at this kind of crazy money, this product is not acceptable and they must have known people wouldn't accept it. Especially as the rest have all been seriously heavy, with little plastic.

As I said before, I can sum this up in only one way... This is one of Sideshows very best sculpts. And one of their very worst releases. A real shame as I'd still love this sculpt in my collection for sure, but not like this...

Some pictures..

qX31d2F.jpg

VJkSceQ.jpg

C8tMHIO.jpg

SpGudDV.jpg

orTvR60.jpg

jn5dhX2.jpg

zrkL18C.jpg

i8KFgSQ.jpg

D8Hw9Qe.jpg

FMcsyHk.jpg

Bc90nYL.jpg

G8Ab3fT.jpg

paEeQKm.jpg

6fUzlxz.jpg

51MhWN5.jpg

BYOXIX1.jpg

Oh Hi #1 next to the #16...
BfCbEBO.jpg

Python- Terrific review and pictures. I'd say that we are 100% on the same page with our likes/dislikes and frustrations with this piece. And the fact that the sculpt is SOOO good is the only reason I'm mulling over keeping it (in some capacity). Well done sir.

Thanks for taking the time to write the review and take/post all those pics Matt - REALLY great job my friend :clap :clap :clap

It looks awesome in those pics - but (as you say) that is NOT what it looks like in-hand.

I sat mine next to a few of my Son's Funko Pop! figures - and that is EXACTLY what it looks like in-hand :(

I haven't received mine yet, but I will be returning it unfortunately. The whole head being made of PCV is a deal breaker for me. I have all the other LSB busts, even the P2 savage edition, and I was excited for this piece for the longest time. So I'm both pissed and sad that this will not be in my collection. With all the problems and returns that sideshow is going to have with this bust, it pretty much guarantees there will be no LSB preds or aliens after this. I'm still ******** that they never made the elder pred LSB, so this bums me out because the LSB line is one of my favorites. I also used $150 in reward points, so I won't be getting those back, sucks. I don't think I will be buying any more statues from sideshow either. So I will be returning. I won't get it until Wednesday so I will update if there are any issues with mine.

already canceled

Thanks for the info both.

Nicknack - please let us know for sure when you get it in-hand bud.

Great review Python for a very disappointing bust, one that even those of us who never ordered, were hoping would turn out the way the prototype promised.

I too think that 150-200 usd would be a fair price for the product as delivered. Curious to see what SS does with the returned stock etc.

$150-200 seems low IMO...looking it over, I would honestly not scuff at $350-400 for it. But for sure not $650 plus $50 to ship. And all of you guys in other countries who have to pay even more for this. :ohbfrank:

$150-200 seems low IMO...looking it over, I would honestly not scuff at $350-400 for it. But for sure not $650 plus $50 to ship. And all of you guys in other countries who have to pay even more for this. :ohbfrank:

Given the condition of yours, I'm guessing Sadshow will offer $50-$80 refund (as store credit) if you wanted to keep it.

Please let us know as soon as you hear from them bud.

Great review Python for a very disappointing bust, one that even those of us who never ordered, were hoping would turn out the way the prototype promised.

I too think that 150-200 usd would be a fair price for the product as delivered. Curious to see what SS does with the returned stock etc.

I thought you had pre-ordered this?

Back