Statue Wolf Predator Legendary Scale Bust

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m definitely keeping mine, but doing a bunch of custom work on it. Repaint, among other things. I want to fix that mandible seam, but I need to research what fillers will work with this PVC material. I think body filler will delaminate too easy

I still find sculpt incredible. Because of that, I don’t want to let it go.

My guess is they will stop the production of this piece short of it's full run and cut their lost's. Maybe it will be an extremely rare piece in the after market since there are so many returns and refunds. It might just be a grail after all is said and done. Minus the price and vinyl.

Oh the irony.. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m definitely keeping mine, but doing a bunch of custom work on it. Repaint, among other things. I want to fix that mandible seam, but I need to research what fillers will work with this PVC material. I think body filler will delaminate too easy

I still find sculpt incredible. Because of that, I don’t want to let it go.

Thanks for the update Kev
thumb2.gif

I would think that the mandible seam could be fixed with an epoxy putty (something like "Plastic Weld" etc.)

Roughen the surface a bit before adding it, smooths easy with water before its hardened, and a 10-20 minute working time.

(* hang-on - you're an experienced modeller - I don't think there's anything I can tell you that you don't already know :lol *)

Just curious, but if this had maintained the crisp details from the proto, had an excellent paintjob and without that visible seam, would you all be happy with it, or would you still be annoyed it's made of PVC and send it back for a refund?

Thanks for the update Kev
thumb2.gif

I would think that the mandible seam could be fixed with an epoxy putty (something like "Plastic Weld" etc.)

Roughen the surface a bit before adding it, smooths easy with water before its hardened, and a 10-20 minute working time.

(* hang-on - you're an experienced modeller - I don't think there's anything I can tell you that you don't already know :lol *)

Planning to use JB weld, as it responds pretty well to shaping/smoothing if you work quick.

Small round file should be all that’s necessary to prep that surface.

Just curious, but if this had maintained the crisp details from the proto, had an excellent paintjob and without that visible seam, would you all be happy with it, or would you still be annoyed it's made of PVC and send it back for a refund?

I think most people would still be annoyed by the PVC, but many more would’ve kept the bust. That’s just my gut.

That’s a tough question.... I returned the P1 bio because they made the base out of plastic. I have every other one before it.

The completist in me wants to have this bust but that pvc poop they pulled makes it cheap feeling.. and the choice to use it for better quality purposes is just plain BS! It was cheaper to produce and ship.

Fair enough. Interesting to hear people's opinions. What is it about polystone that you guys prefer over PVC? Is it the extra weight that makes it feel more premium?

I know some here don't believe it, but it actually does cost more to produce in PVC than polystone, as to set up the tooling required is more expensive. The only reason toy companies can afford to do it is because they produce in very high numbers.

Post on FB shows the dreds with the numbers showing. Anyone who has it should look at the dreds and you should be able to spot the numbers without adjusting anything. This is yet another fail on this bust.

Fair enough. Interesting to hear people's opinions. What is it about polystone that you guys prefer over PVC? Is it the extra weight that makes it feel more premium?

I know some here don't believe it, but it actually does cost more to produce in PVC than polystone, as to set up the tooling required is more expensive. The only reason toy companies can afford to do it is because they produce in very high numbers.

Most of us have already given our reasons....here is my thoughts from earlier-

"About their excuses for the use of plastic...it just doesn't make sense.

1. The use of PVC for exceptional detailing- Um, yeah, maybe if they had given us that. But I see nowhere on this sculpt where the detailing is captured better than what a resin cast could have gotten. In fact, I dare say that the features are LESS sharp and crisp from their choice of using PVC.

2. Shipping damages- They are already shipping in 2 "Art" boxes. They could have easily done the whole head in resin, and had the dreads made from a more compliant material and separated in individual pieces to be inserted into the resin head by the customer, much like what has been done before. Breakage problem solved.

3. They took it on the chin cost wise for us to provide us with a much more expensive PVC bust- Eh, why? Who asked for that? You mean you could have given us a less expensive resin bust with weight and crisp detailing, but instead you went with a much more expensive route with from what I can see, zero upsides to? I would have loved to have raised my hand in that meeting."

And-
"SS totally missed the point in there canned marketing response. IF they had sent out a well executed bust, most would not be so vocal about complaining...well, I wouldn't so much. There is that whole thing of years spent marketing to consumers the benefits of polystone and resin, then to bust out with PVC plastic as being the new hot thing..which they're going to lose people on...especially since most of us know how PVC can warp over time, leaching out issues, etc...plus I don't care about shipping costs...for $650, personally I want some heft to the piece....make me feel like I got something for my money rather than foam filled plastic. They boast museum quality pieces, but how many museum pieces are made from plastic and foam?

The big deal here is the poor job they did on this. From the white "Art Boxes", to the paint apps emphasizing the "plastic" look of the material, to the head not fitting in the socket well and wobbling around, to the dreads paint coming off out of the box, to the styrofoam from the shipping box being stuck to the neck, to the drill hole in the necklace skull, to the freaking awful mandible seam, to the poorly glued in teeth with paint chips, to the laughable vein work in the mouth, to numbers being written on the dreads, to it being an astronomical price for a bust this size made from plastic...ect. etc. etc....THAT is why they are getting so much flack for this. The ONLY redeemable thing about this is the original sculpt, which whoever did should do a face palm at the product that ended up in our hands."

Last edited:

Nope. You could have a P1 or P2 piece that is the most incredible, most detailed, most accurate predator piece handmade by stan winston himself and his own blood and pubes molded into the statue and people would still ***** and complain about it being PVC.

Nope. You could have a P1 or P2 piece that is the most incredible, most detailed, most accurate predator piece handmade by stan winston himself and his own blood and pubes molded into the statue and people would still ***** and complain about it being PVC.

Well - we got testicles on this base - not Stan's - but hey - whatcha gonna do . . .

(* coincidentally - I STILL can't believe they had the balls to do this to us *)

Most of us have already given our reasons....here is my thoughts from earlier-

You must have missed my earlier post:

Responses to that were that people would still be annoyed it was PVC, hence why I asked what is it about polystone that people prefer over PVC (generally speaking).

Well - we got testicles on this base - not Stan's - but hey - whatcha gonna do . . .

(* coincidentally - I STILL can't believe they had the balls to do this to us *)

:lol :lol

For the record, I’m deleting the testicles from my base with the new paint job, haha

A while ago, the topic of PVC vs Polystone was discussed on Statue Forum, as there has constantly been this misconception around here that PVC is cheap and Sideshow use it simply because it's cheaper to produce. Here's a post from Jerry of PCS on this topic, which will hopefully shed some light on the topic:

"Theres a few reasons PVC statues look better than polystone.

Two main factors are PVC can be painted by machine as its strong enough to handle the process. Polystone can break or chip.

Second is every PVC statue comes out of a steel mold EXACTLY the same as the previous one so you can use copper spray masks for paint details.

Polystone comes out of a soft rubber mold and every piece has some slight variation which means the spray masks wont fit accurately

PVC is by far the superior material and process as is shown in the Yamato pieces. Polystones 'superiority' was basically a marketing gimmick created in the late 90s by companies that couldnt afford to do PVC.

Unfortunately, as soon as you get over ~12" the cost of the steel molds for PVC goes through the roof so a 1:4 scale pvc statue is even more expensive than a comparable polystone statue, unless you are making thousands of pieces in which case the cost of PVC comes down dramatically.

So, for example. A 22" statue of Goro will cost significantly more to make in PVC UNTIL you hit about 3000 pcs at which point the costs will come down. Once you hit 7000 pcs the cost will be less than it is to make it in PVC.

If you can sell 10000 pcs of a 22" pvc Goro you could probably get the price down to about 75% of what a polystone version would cost.

I read a lot of thread talking about costs, and this should cost that blah blah blah, but unless someone is actually employed in this business they dont understand how many factors contribute to what things cost.

I would love to only make PVC but that would mean price increases of 30-40% OR I can only make characters that will sell 3000+ pcs.

Neither are obviously going to work.."

Back