Will Hot Toys ever lose their value?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know, but I know many people that 'collect' TVs, always have 4-10 in the house and enjoy the advanacements in the tech., same as we do with figures. Same with people who don't waste their money on TOYS as we do, but would spend the same amount on limited shirts and gear they would rather wear and spend their money on.

"The products you mention have, by and large, a built-in obsolescence that demands the consumer replace them at some point. This is not the case with HT figures."

And the TOYS you collect are not? :lol Good one, I needed a laugh before I went to bed.

When did TVs become collectibles?! :dunno

Myers always buys two TVs. One to display and one to keep MISB.

HAHAHA...

My friend, who works for Sony, has TVs all over his mansion, gets new ones and has always had a infatuation with TVs and the evolution of the picture tube.

But, that's weird...unlike adult men collecting toys. :dunno

demand for many of these figures currently outstrips supply.

It's geared toward outstripping supply.

HT rely on setting a production run on pre-orders. Using pre-order investment to finance the production run. Many wait until the item is released before making a decision. It's only lately, when Sideshow became a distributor, that pre-orders have been taken without any financial input being requested. That puts stress on the strategy Hot Toys used to use. Nevertheless, Sideshow has a huge warehouse, so HT's are still able to shift their product out and leave it to Sideshow to deal with housing the stock.

The demand outstripping supply happens, in most cases, because collectors have waited too long to decide, mainly due to the lack of updated HT pics of the final product. In any case, it all works to Hot Toys advantage, except in a few cases. Hot Toys don't want their items warming shelves. They want to meet demand as closely as possible without having stock sitting in a warehouse. I believe this is why Hot Toys have only stated an edition size on a few occasions. Depending on pre-order demand, they may make 15000 of any one item, as long as it's popularity ensures it selling out. This way HT can ship out their stock as it is received. It's very different than stating an edition size and having those items take up space until sales are met.

So if you want hot toys to retain high value, then do not preorder. That keeps the production low, equal to low figures made. Then buy them up when they are released. Hum sounds good. I would hate for them to mass produce preorderders then the peoples cancel. Now the supply is more then demand. Please hot toys over produce so I could buy them under retail. Because the prices is getting way to high in my book. I would hate for them to milk us by making movie masterpiece and dx versions of the same figure.

Well uh, yeah, but people tend not to collect TVs, IKEA living room sets, GAP shirts etc - but they do collect HT action figures. The products you mention have, by and large, a built-in obsolescence that demands the consumer replace them at some point. This is not the case with HT figures.

When people talk about supply of these figures being limited, it is not to point out the obvious that 'x' quantity get produced and this is plenty for everyone who wants one at the time of release. The reason why some of these figures become so pricey in the aftermarket is because, quite evidently, there are not enough of these figures to go around for everyone who might want one over a sustained period of time.

You can slap your forehead all you want, but the inflated aftermarket prices of more than a dozen different HT figures tells you that demand is outstripping supply.

Well said- you see my point. Most people don't collect TVs or toasters. If they do value DOES NOT increase once you buy a tv and walk out of the store. HT figures haver shown a big upswing in price and they are not TOYS in the general sense of the word. Kids are not buying or demanding these at Target. Safe to say ADULTS exclusively are buying these. So you call a Icons X wing or Master Replicas Enterprise a toy? I think not -Same category i put HT in...

Go Hastings has 20 percent off all action figures (including Hot Toys) I bought Falconer, Aldo Raines and Alien Big Chap plus 2 Truetypes!! All for $500 (sounds high, but it was a good deal for so much)

Get them before they are too much!!!!!

P.S. They will not go down in value!

Go Hastings has 20 percent off all action figures (including Hot Toys) I bought Falconer, Aldo Raines and Alien Big Chap plus 2 Truetypes!! All for $500 (sounds high, but it was a good deal for so much)

Get them before they are too much!!!!!

P.S. They will not go down in value!
Get those really limited figures...:rotfl

They've been out for weeks, months...

But you know, limited stuff like that is hard to come by, as evidenced by this. LOL.

But you know, limited stuff like that is hard to come by, as evidenced by this. LOL.

Even the casual HT collector knows that some HT products sit and sit and sit and then they're gone overnight and actually selling for $600+ on ebay. Wolverine, RPD Leon, the AVP preds, and RoboCop are just a handfull of examples of this.

Even the casual HT collector knows that some HT products sit and sit and sit and then they're gone over many many many nights of collecting dust in a warehouse and actually selling for $600+ on ebay. Wolverine, RPD Leon, the AVP preds, and RoboCop are just a handfull of examples of this.

Fixed your post.

I will say this; I would have purchased quite a few Wolvies when I had a chance, if I knew that figure would be so desired down the line.

I was just really lucky! Try to buy Big Chap over on Ebay and see if you can get it under $140. You can't! They are closer to 200 and more. There is no arguing that Hot Toys are limited. And if you look at their 120-plus figures, only a handful have stayed stagnant in price or have gone down.

Most have tripled or more (especially when looking at the original prices). These babies are not going down in price for a few years, and even then they will be above the regular price. The bubble people speak of is growing. The Tumbler is over $3,000 on Amazon (high yes), but it was $1,000 on Amazon a few months ago. They will go up for a few more years, and then go slowly down into a reasonably high amount.

Fixed your post.

I will say this; I would have purchased quite a few Wolvies when I had a chance, if I knew that figure would be so desired down the line.

You misunderstood my post. I was acknowledging that there have been a few releases that sit for what seems like ever. But then, say a year after they're released all of a sudden you can't find them anywhere and when you look on ebaY, they're fetching double and triple the price.

13 years ago, I knew a woman who collected these little stuffed animals and spent a small fortune on them. I was amazed at how fast these little buggers shot up in price and she always would brag about the very low edition size of certain critters and how fast the value of her collection was appreciating.

beanies.jpg

Do I want my HT/Sideshow PFs to retain their value? Absolutely. Do I think they will long term? Not a chance.

When did TVs become collectibles?! :dunno

I've yet to see television sets appreciate in value. Perhaps you should try a more relevant comparison? :dunno

I agree that it was a terrible comparison (finding examples with past toys going up and then down in demand/value is surely possible and would make a lot more sense here), but just to be clear there are definitely people who do collect outdated TVs.

umbo_electronics.jpg
sony_planetron.jpg
pittsburgh.jpg

It's interesting to see that right now the dx single body Bruce lee is selling for (buy it now price that is) just under $400. If you google the item you can see it for it's original price of $199 at some online stores. What would this lead you to believe. 1- that the item is going to be worth a lot or actually already is in high demand or... 2-that they are actually undersold and by selling them so high on eBay will mislead the "collectors" into thinking that they are more valuable than they actually are. Which will in turn lead to these people buying for and "investment".

It's all a conspiracy!!

It's interesting to see that right now the dx single body Bruce lee is selling for (buy it now price that is) just under $400. If you google the item you can see it for it's original price of $199 at some online stores. What would this lead you to believe. 1- that the item is going to be worth a lot or actually already is in high demand or... 2-that they are actually undersold and by selling them so high on eBay will mislead the "collectors" into thinking that they are more valuable than they actually are. Which will in turn lead to these people buying for and "investment".

It's all a conspiracy!!

You'd waste a first post on that crap? :dunno

Back