Why so many poorly trained police officers when dealing with dogs?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spartan Rex

Super Freak
Reaction score
Last edited:
Though I have no idea why in the world the cop shot that dog, there are times when serving a warrant or making an arrest they run into pit bulls and other dogs and if the dog is threatening in any way, they will shoot them.

That's just so sad. I don't blame the guy for wanting justice.

Keeping his dog in an enclosed yard on private property was obviously no guarantee that a police officer wouldn't enter the property and shoot his pet in the head.

How very, very sad.

Utterly appalling!.. if the Police officer entered the premises without a warrant, it seems probable the dog owner has good grounds for a legal case against the Police department concerned.. personally I think the dog probably confronted the 'intruder' with loud barking, the officer panicked and shot the dog.
This is a classic example of why Police officers need a warrant or permission of the owner to enter a premises, rather than trespassing on private property.. wearing a police uniform does not obviate the law.. or common sense.. Back yards stand a good chance of containing a dog / dogs., who are unlikely to welcome intruders.

Salt Lake police shooting sparks large protest for victim: a dog named 'Geist'
Published June 29, 2014FoxNews.comFacebook194 Twitter226 livefyre154

“Geist,” a gray Weimaraner, was loose in a fenced-in backyard June 18 when he was shot dead by a police officer who was searching for a missing boy.KSTU FOX 13
Hundreds of people protested in front of the Salt Lake City Police Department Saturday to demand justice for the victim in a controversial police shooting -- a 110-pound dog named “Geist.”

The gray Weimaraner was loose in a fenced-in backyard June 18 when he was shot dead by a police officer who was searching for a missing boy. Police said the dog was shot after he approached the officer in an “aggressive manner.” The boy was later found sleeping in his home.

The protest included many dog owners, who brought their pets. The protesters held signs that read: “Shoo not Shoot,” “Man’s best friend should not be gunned down,” and “My pets are my family.”

“I believe this officer made a terrible judgment call.”
- Sean Kendall
“It’s overwhelming, the support of the community,” Geist’s owner, Sean Kendall, said at the protest, according to the Salt Lake Tribune.

Fox13Now quoted Kendall as saying the officer involved in the shooting should be fired.

“I believe this officer made a terrible judgment call,” Kendall told the station. “In my profession, if I make a terrible judgment I’m fired. “

Fox13Now reported that protesters had a lot to say about comments Salt Lake City Police Chief Chris Burbank made Friday at a news conference.

“In this particular circumstance, evidence shows that the dog was extremely close, in fact, within feet of the officer. “After 23 years in law enforcement, I haven’t seen this type of public outcry when certain human beings have lost their lives,” Burbank said.

The station ran a story Thursday after Kendall released a video showing a confrontation he had with police officers outside his home after he was told Geist had been killed.

“We entered the yard looking for a lost child,” Sgt. Joseph Cyr says on the video, according to Fox13Now. "He was threatened by the dog and shot the dog. That’s as simple as it gets.”

“So I get to bury my dog because an officer couldn’t back up and close the f------ gate,” an angry Kendall says in response.

I know the breed shouldn't come into it, but... Weimaraner's are beautiful dogs.

Gotta be honest, if the officer was present when I arrived and it was my dog, I would've clocked him.
Based on his previous actions he probably would have shot you in the head the moment you gave him a bad look.

Even if the dog had attacked him, surely he could have used other methods to protect himself like, as you said, pepper spray/baton/taser/etc.

I don't think I could shoot a dog even if it's teeth were sunk into me. I just don't see how someone could be so devoid of compassion to do something like that. Especially in a case like this where the dog doesn't seem to have even touched the officer.

Then there's the issue of the officer having no right to be on this person's property in the first place.

Methinks people should have to go through far more rigorous training and psychological testing before being allowed the position of police officer.

I find it difficult to believe that absence of appropriate training had anything to do with it. Cops generally are very well drilled on search procedures and associated hazards, including the presence of dogs.

unfortunately things like this happen all the time. I don't think there is anything people can do about it either. All a officer has to say is they felt threatened. I don't think I've ever read about a cop being suspended or fired from shooting a dog??

You just never know...could have been a crazy cop who shot it for no reason or the dog could have tried attacking him and he had to do it. Sucks but there are times when animals lose it for no reason and cops or anyone else have to protect themselves.

Yeah, it's unfortunate, but I can't see haranguing cops like that. I love animals but give me a break. Cops have enough to deal with without guys like this. Even if you want to bring legal action, say your piece calmly and move on (especially as these cops had nothing to do with it). Guy seems a bit unstable, IMO.

Yeah, it's unfortunate, but I can't see haranguing cops like that. I love animals but give me a break. Cops have enough to deal with without guys like this. Even if you want to bring legal action, say your piece calmly and move on (especially as these cops had nothing to do with it). Guy seems a bit unstable, IMO.

The guy's dog was shot in the head in his own backyard. "Guy seems a bit unstable"...? Far out.

The guy's dog was shot in the head in his own backyard. "Guy seems a bit unstable"...? Far out.

He's calmer and more put together than I would be. I would have that cop, department, and cities ass.

I guess it depends on your perspective. I love animals but unfortunate stuff happens that is no-one in particular's fault (and really, if you compare 'our' problems to other peoples' -- say you live in Iraq -- this is not some insurmountable tragedy). If he wants to sue, fine. I would never act that way to a police officer -- especially when those particular guys were not responsible. The whole "oh, he was my best friend" thing. You really think a cop gives a ****?

I guess it depends on your perspective. I love animals but unfortunate stuff happens that is no-one in particular's fault (and really, if you compare 'our' problems to other peoples' -- say you live in Iraq -- this is not some insurmountable tragedy). If he wants to sue, fine. I would never act that way to a police officer -- especially when those particular guys were not responsible. The whole "oh, he was my best friend" thing. You really think a cop gives a ****?

It does indeed depend on one's perspective. You're not a dog person I take it.

Then that cop should be there to face the music from him before I own his life for killing my dog.

It does indeed depend on one's perspective. You're not a dog person I take it.
Cat person, actually. I think it's fair to say there is no better loved cat than my own (Tsunami). She has some medical issues that are an ongoing expense, but well paid, since she's 'part of the family'. That doesn't mean I expect her to live forever or nothing unfortunate to ever happen to her (or that I forget how fortunate we are, considering other peoples' circumstances).

Then that cop should be there to face the music from him before I own his life for killing my dog.
I'd agree with that. Sure, the guy should've stuck around, if it made sense in his duties to do so. Certainly if I was the one that shot the dog, I'd feel it was my responsibility.

Cat person, actually. I think it's fair to say there is no better loved cat than my own (Tsunami). She has some medical issues that are an ongoing expense, but well paid, since she's 'part of the family'. That doesn't mean I expect her to live forever or nothing unfortunate to ever happen to her (or that I forget how fortunate we are, considering other peoples' circumstances).

I'd agree with that. Sure, the guy should've stuck around, if it made sense in his duties to do so. Certainly if I was the one that shot the dog, I'd feel it was my responsibility.

I'm a cat person too, but I understand the bond that exists between a person and a dog is a special one. Cats, ultimately, don't give a toss about you. Their companionship is entirely about their own convenience. Which is why I like them. But a cat will rarely, if ever, be a "man's best friend" in the way a dog can.

One of my cats hopped the neighbour's fence one day, and got mauled to death. I didn't blame the dog, or the owners - my cat was in their yard. That was an accident.

But the chain of events that leads an officer into a private yard, enclosed by a 5ft high fence, and then shoots a dog... that is something that needs looking into and not so readily dismissed as "an unfortunate event". There are very good reasons that you and I don't live in a country anything like Iraq, and a lot of those reasons have to do with accountability and preserving our society's core values.

And yeah, the officer leaving the scene stinks. I'm sure a lot of the fallout could've been avoided had he remained at the scene to properly explain his actions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back