Why no Batman ?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No doubt. I am a hardcore Marvel fan, much more than DC but come on, Batman is the greatest super hero of all time. He is friggin BATMAN.

Batman is overrated. What made him unique and interesting has been so exploited, watered down and repackaged that its the fodder for jokes and puns in every medium. The only hero more overexposed than Bats is the Big Blue Boy Scout.

Batman is overrated. What made him unique and interesting has been so exploited, watered down and repackaged that its the fodder for jokes and puns in every medium. The only hero more overexposed than Bats is the Big Blue Boy Scout.

Yes but he had to start somewhere and when he did he most certainly was not overrated.

g-ddamn_batman.jpg

i agree for the most part but he isnt overrated just overexposed

When people use Batman as a measure to anything he is overrated. The overexposure is easy to spot but when every thing has to be "dark" like "The Dark Knight" and people are literally claiming that he is their favorite yet only know the Nolanverse, he has become overrated.

The Bat has not been overexposed, he just needs more proper exposure.
Batman Begins and Dark Knight type of exposure. Oh, and Sideshow doing their statues.

Batman Begins and TDK are directly responsible for his overexposure. I never known so many instant Joker fans who never knew the character before Ledger yet all of sudden are soulmates with the character. There are true fans who love him and really know their history, hell I like him enough to know his history from the various ages as well at the multi-verse additions and those who love the character in all of their incarnations but Spider-Man, X-men, Iron Man or even Superman don't have the blind followings that the Bat has garnered since the Burton era.

That being said if enduring yet another Batman statue meant the acquiring of the DC License and the possibility and probability of a Green Lantern piece, I'd gladly take it.

The Bat has not been overexposed, he just needs more proper exposure.

Batman Begins and Dark Knight type of exposure.

Oh, and Sideshow doing their statues.

Batman has had plenty of "proper" exposure and then some :monkey1

Batman Begins and TDK are directly responsible for his overexposure. I never known so many instant Joker fans who never knew the character before Ledger yet all of sudden are soulmates with the character. There are true fans who love him and really know their history, hell I like him enough to know his history from the various ages as well at the multi-verse additions and those who love the character in all of their incarnations but Spider-Man, X-men, Iron Man or even Superman don't have the blind followings that the Bat has garnered since the Burton era.

I will definitely agree with you here, same thing happened with The Watchmen.

Oh yeah, BIG TIME. The Watchmen were so overhyped and so overexposed that for a while everyone and their moms were spouting lines from Rorschach and The Comedian. After the movie hit though a lot of the wind was taken out of the sails and now its back to being a cult thing where the original fans never left. Same thing happened with Bats after "Batman and Robin" all of a sudden those sails were empty. People hung their cowls up and walked away. Its a cycle....it'll happen again and in a few years after that point all of sudden you'll see a new Nolan pop up and make the fanboys drool again.

Oh yeah, BIG TIME. The Watchmen were so overhyped and so overexposed that for a while everyone and their moms were spouting lines from Rorschach and The Comedian. After the movie hit though a lot of the wind was taken out of the sails and now its back to being a cult thing where the original fans never left. Same thing happened with Bats after "Batman and Robin" all of a sudden those sails were empty. People hung their cowls up and walked away. Its a cycle....it'll happen again and in a few years after that point all of sudden you'll see a new Nolan pop up and make the fanboys drool again.

It is quite a shame but hopefully SOME of those people will get into the comics and the characters a lot more. I know 90% of them won't but if it can capture at least 10% of them I would be happy with that.

Batman is not overexposed... He's just not being portrayed properly.

I miss the TRUE Batman:

batmontage.jpg

batmannealadams3.jpg

The thing that is happening is that Batman is just that popular. And when you are that popular the business/financial side of the media really kicks in.

This why as collectors you can be fussy about exactly what you want to collect from Batman and what not too.

For me, Batman Begins and TDK, reenergized a completely new level and direction of Batman. Espescially from the Batman Begins movie, one almost gets the impression that you could ALMOST see this happening for real, ALMOST.

Overexposed or not, I don't think anyone can argue there is certainly a lot of choice of what to buy out there for BM. To me, the question is how much of it is really good stuff vs not so good stuff. Fortunately, there are some outstanding collectables out there for BM ...

... and having said that, I would love to see what Sideshow could do with Batman.

Batman not getting the proper expose is absolute rubbish. Man there are so many versions of batman and plenty of them can be found for all fans. For younger fans who prefer darker batman theres the Nolan movies, games, cartoons ( 2 cartoon series in one decade no less) etc. For the middle age fans theres the somewhat dark version from Burtons films, schumaker films and dont forget the Batman Animated series, comics and graphic novels and figures. For the old fans who remember the campy 'yellow/black bat emblem on my chest version' of batman there is old batman TV show, batman and robin cartoon from the 60's, the superfriends cartoon, Superpowers cartoon and dont forget the old graphic novels and hundreds of issues of campy batman. Every age and gender has something to choose from...and dont even go there with the statues cause DC direct has pumped out so many its not even funny..heck even Randy Bowen sculpted Batman. Also there is a museum edition of batman which could be considered there premium format figure of bats..complete with cloth costume and cape.

FIN

Last edited:
When people use Batman as a measure to anything he is overrated. The overexposure is easy to spot but when every thing has to be "dark" like "The Dark Knight" and people are literally claiming that he is their favorite yet only know the Nolanverse, he has become overrated.

I disagree with you on that a bit. No one, at least not Nolan, told people to go ahead and be "soulmates" with the Ledger Joker. I don't think he even likes it that people want to imitate him. As far as I can tell he set out to make a version of Batman that he thought would be right, that so happens to be a version where things are more realistic and batman doesnt have to save ppl from a freaking ice crazed mr.freeze. Anyways bck to the point that is people can relate to Batman more then someone like Superman because Batman, like you or me, has no powers and yet seems to give hope to the people of gotham just like superman would to the ppl of metropolis. Anyone can become Batman through the proper means but Superman, X Men, Spiderman is a different story....they all have one thing in common which is super powers and thats the link lost between us and them. So I believe this is the reason why Batman is over exposed or overrated. It is not the legacy or intentions of the character that make it over exposed but only us, the people who do this and therefore it is only ourslefs that we blame.
I know the last part seems OTT but its a new trend and acceptence that superhero films are being made and accepted and taken serious over the last 6+ years and some of us take the piss out of it and some take it like a god send.

Sorry for the long response, i am somewhat passionate abt superheros !!!!!!

No matter what the arguements are for a PF....the bottom line is DC Direct isnt collaborating with Sideshow at this time on any level as far as making PF's or statues go.

Back