why Hot Toys doesn't get TV licenses and do TV series characters (TVMS)?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even if they were to consider it I can see how a full line up might get boring. Honestly I'd be happy with the big two from each series, Kirk/Spock & Picard/Data. If they were to go so far as villains a Borg & Khan would round it out nicely I think.

errrrr...

Robocop
The Crow
Mime Joker
Ichabod Crane
Maleficent
John Matrix
Marty McFly
Captain Harlock
Barney Ross
Joe Colton
Storm Shadow
Tonto

:dunno

A lot of those aren't random. Hot Toys tend to follow a trend on what sales for them, be it from a franchise like Batman or a celebrity like Johnny Depp. That is why I think HT made the Sleepy Hollow and the Tonto figures, as well as the Joker figures. Didn't Hot Toys made an anime version of Captain Harlock toy, as well as other characters from the original anime in the past? Robocop was made because the previous line they did was successful. As for Barney Ross, Hot Toys made a bunch of Sy Stallone figures, so that answers that. The same with John Matrix is to Arnold. I am guessing the Brandon Lee "The Crow" figure was made because HT was making Bruce Lee figures in the past.

I see Arrow and The Flash as a higher possibility of getting 6th scales. Arrow is at least one season behind North America for its local tv airings and The Flash premiered on TVB a couple of months after its North American premiere.

errrrr...

Robocop
The Crow
Mime Joker
Ichabod Crane
Maleficent
John Matrix
Marty McFly
Captain Harlock
Barney Ross
Joe Colton
Storm Shadow
Tonto

:dunno

WOW, lots of those ended up being on sale during Spooktacular. From what I remember Crow, Joker, Ross, Colton, Tonto. Crane and Maleficent are rather new, Mcfly and Matrix have yet to release, and Robocop already is being offered at extra reward points and Harlock has extra rewards free shipping plus 10% discount.

Would be cool to see the single release figures get some more buys, oh well.

I think an Arrow figure would sell out and need no discount though.

Tonto would've sold a lot better if they'd made the title character. Who wants a Ranger-less Tonto?

I'm glad to see ThreeZero picking up TV licenses. Enterbay made a big splash with Jack Bauer, but seems to have dropped TV for Basketball or some other damn thing. Abandoned ship before releasing the Prison Break figures they teased ...

20100110.jpg

And, TV shows seem to be out of HT wheelhouse ... they seem to prefer big geek movie franchises, which makes financial sense. But, that leaves a lot open for different companies to carve out their own niche aside from Batman and The Avengers.

I'd like to see ThreeZero take a get a couple of the big-names out there for The Walking Dead (Rick and Daryl), and get a couple more Breaking Bad figures under their belt (chem suit figures, particularly) ... and then branch out even a bit more. The Shield. Justified. Hell on Wheels. True Detective. Sons of Anarchy. Deadwood. There are a lot of awesome TV licenses that would make for a good one or two figure series. Vic Mackey. Raylan and Boyd. Cohle and Hart. Another Jack Bauer would probably do well.

Strikes me as a lot of upside out there for the right company.

SnakeDoc

Hmmm.. ThreeA / ThreeZero have been rather intermittent with their support of licensed releases (yes, 2000AD ABC Warrior figures at 1/6.. or even 1/12 scale, I am looking at you).. unless the Game of Thrones figures sell well, I can see them blowing hot and cold and possibly bailing out again, especially since they have their own intellectual properties from Ashley Wood, which do not have additional, upfront fee costs, payable to another license holder.

What we keep coming back to, is not whether a license is popular, but whether the fans of that license are the sort who buy lots of action figures.. quite simply, this is never guaranteed.

Older tv shows are probably a bit of a gamble because without them being on the air anymore, it's hard to know how popular they are going to be.

I would love 1/6 figures of the 2003 Battlestar Galacitca, Buffy and The X-files. All of them have been off the air for 5 or more years (though The X-Files is returning). I don't know if the popularity is still there for high end figures.

Someone is doing Star Trek Next Generation, they've shown the Picard prototype already, but I can't remember what company it is.

BCS seems to be doing well with its Doctor Who and Sherlock figures. QMX is working on Firefly, so we are getting some TV show figures produced.

For shows that are still on the air, I would like to see Supernatural picked up. Other than that ThreeZero already have the license for the other shows I watch.

I think HT are going to be kept busy with all the movie releases that will be coming within the next 5 years, so I don't think they would even have time to get into any tv shows. They still have figures that were shown at SDCC last year that haven't been seen again: Batman Returns, Ripley and the power loader.

The superhero genre is only going to expand with the addition of more DC films as well as the continuation of the Marvel movies. Add that to the Star Wars sequels and spinoffs and I think HT is going to have their work cut out for them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There is a great 12 inch Cylon Centurion figure, which was made by Majestic Studios, from the 2004 Battlestar Galacitca license.. but it might take a bit of time to track one down now.. tbh, I'm not sure if I would get any of the other characters.

I second the X-Files and Supernatural. Might be a possibility with one returning next year and the other having a fan base thats kept it on for ten seasons.

I don't think there's any point in wishing for HT to take TV licenses on - and this is coming from someone who would prioritize TV characters over the majority of the movie stuff, (even the MCU stuff that I enjoy). They're pretty much going to be DC/Marvel/Star Wars from here on out, with something different here and there. You'd never get a decent run of any TV based stuff from them.

I would love to see more companies like ThreeZero, Star Ace, etc....to get more into the TV shows. I wish ThreeZero would get going with their Walking Dead line. I'm in for my favorites of the main characters.

I chose their Dead Space Isaac figure over Falcon or Star Lord, and I would choose Daryl Dixon in a heartbeat over any of the AOU figures (I'm only getting Cap, and that's 'cause I sold my only version of Cap).

Other shows I would love to see figures of: Fox's Sleepy Hollow (especially its version of the Headless Horseman), Supernatural (at least Dean, Sam and Castiel), Once Upon a Time (though this might be better served with a company like Tonner, because it's all about the female fairytale characters on that show anyway, IMO).

I wouldn't mind seeing some updated, superior versions of the main Buffy characters, as well as Mulder & Scully from X-Files, though the above are more of a priority to me. I still have my Sideshow versions of these characters. They're not up to today's standard, but I have so much nostalgia for those shows there's no way I would ever sell them without having something to replace them with.

Same with my Majestic Studios Dark Shadows figures. I would love for an updated version of Frid's Barnabas, but if I never get it my Majestic Studios figures will remain in my collection forever.

I ultimately get more attached to television characters than film ones, with some exceptions (MCU being one -but it plays like its own ongoing series so that's probably why it engages me so much), and I collect based on that, so I naturally tend to gravitate towards wanting more high end figures from my favorite television shows.

Last edited:
There is a great 12 inch Cylon Centurion figure, which was made by Majestic Studios, from the 2004 Battlestar Galacitca license.. but it might take a bit of time to track one down now.. tbh, I'm not sure if I would get any of the other characters.

Thanks for the tip. I didn't know about this figure, so I may just have to keep a look out. There's been a few sold recently, so fingers crossed some more will show up at some stage.

I'm a big BSG fan so I would probably buy 8 10 of the main characters of the series if they ever produced 1/6 scale figures. Perhaps even more if they decided to produce all of the 12 cylon models (well 11).

I am hoping the Marvel Netflix series will get the HT treatment... at least the main characters (Daredevil, Iron Fist, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones)

I would like to see Arrow and Flash too... but since HT will most likely do the DC film versions (of Flash at least) I doubt they will do both.

Thanks for the tip. I didn't know about this figure, so I may just have to keep a look out. There's been a few sold recently, so fingers crossed some more will show up at some stage.

I'm a big BSG fan so I would probably buy 8 10 of the main characters of the series if they ever produced 1/6 scale figures. Perhaps even more if they decided to produce all of the 12 cylon models (well 11).

I understand there are standard and battle damaged (SDCC Exclusive, Ltd Ed 500) versions of the Centurion and they do occasionally surface on eBay (took me a while to track a boxed one down in the UK) .. unfortunately I think Majestic Studios ceased trading, not long after the Cylon Centurion figures were released, and a protype Lee Adama, therefore never made it into production.
Majestic Studios - Battlestar Wiki

Buffy line and Netflix Daredevil and Punisher. And some Game of Thrones; a Hot Toys Danaerys would be awesome, and I didn't like the Tyrion that other company put out... I'm suprised that Sons of Anarchy didn't get made, characters always look the same in the show. I'd wish for a Firefly line but the QMX one looks to be just about Hot Toys quality!

I'm a bit surprised that they haven't at least taken a shot at the Netflix Marvel characters yet. That seems like a natural thing for them to go after. Even the DC shows from the CW and CBS could be decent properties for them to pick up. My guess is they may not want to get too deep into doing tv characters as there's already enough film characters for them to focus on.

North America and Europe make up, what, maybe 10% of Hot Toys' market? Why would they give a crap about TV shows made for the US? Or Europe? Their focus is on the Asian market. We are like the single adults at Christmas dinner stuck at the kid's table. They don't really give a **** what we want.

'Captain America' is a hell of a character to keep making for an Asian market. Do they really like the Avengers that much over there?

Back