why have you abandoned certain lines.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maatuu52

Super Freak
Reaction score
why have we not gotten a new highlander figure or a new michael myers. i would love to see a new duncan mccleod or a new michael myers or someone different then you bringing medicom stuff here to the states. what happened to your companies creativity .

Sideshow's license for Highlander lapsed. Plus their inability to secure likeness of key characters (Connery's Ramirez) and difficult engineering challenges (the Medieval Kurgan's armor) resulted in a lack luster line-up. :lecture

Sideshow's license for Highlander lapsed. Plus their inability to secure likeness of key characters (Connery's Ramirez) and difficult engineering challenges (the Medieval Kurgan's armor) resulted in a lack luster line-up. :lecture

Connor and Duncan didn't sell for crap, that's what resulted in a lackluster lineup. If sales of the two main charcters had been strong, I'm sure they would've gotten around to a medieval Kurgan. I can't imagine his armor would've been any more difficult than Evil Ash. No Ramirez certainly didn't help, but the general lack of interest is what killed the line.

why have we not gotten a new highlander figure or a new michael myers. i would love to see a new duncan mccleod or a new michael myers or someone different then you bringing medicom stuff here to the states. what happened to your companies creativity .

I don't think creativity has anything to do with what lines they do and don't do or that die or live. It's a business, they have to sell things, they have to buy rights to licenses and in some cases it would seem, certain likenesses and there's a whole process that stands between them and what gets produced. I'm sure if it were up to creativity only, they'd go nuts, but in the end, they have to make things that sell and don't cause them lost money, and they have to get the rights from the people that hold them.

Connor and Duncan didn't sell for crap, that's what resulted in a lackluster lineup. If sales of the two main charcters had been strong, I'm sure they would've gotten around to a medieval Kurgan. I can't imagine his armor would've been any more difficult than Evil Ash. No Ramirez certainly didn't help, but the general lack of interest is what killed the line.

His armor is a lot more complex than Evil Ash. A little research goes a long way (and comments directly to the Krusade from different sources within sideshow confirm this). Speak not of things for which you have limited to no knowledge. :D

Kurgan ex. and regular sold out. Ex. connor sold out. Really I would say its selling record is not entirely different from LOTR.

:lecture

His armor is a lot more complex than Evil Ash. A little research goes a long way (and comments directly to the Krusade from different sources within sideshow confirm this). Speak not of things for which you have limited to no knowledge. :D

I wouldn't say a "lot" more complex. Yeah, there may have been more of it, but it wasn't a drastically different style than evil Ash.

Kurgan ex. and regular sold out. Ex. connor sold out. Really I would say its selling record is not entirely different from LOTR.

:lecture

Exc. Connor did sell out, but it took forever, and Kurgan was limited to only 1000 pcs.

Exc. Duncan was still available well after that figure was released, and I believe the exc. Origins Duncan was still available when the line got yanked from the website.

I wouldn't say a "lot" more complex. Yeah, there may have been more of it, but it wasn't a drastically different style than evil Ash.

It was far more complex. Evil Ash you had a chest plate and a few spiked pieces. The Kurgan armor covered the entire torso plus the shoulder pauldrons, plus the armor down his right leg.

Evil Ash's helmet was a mere hat. The Kurgan's helmet covered his whole head and making that removable alone on a mass production scale alone would have been a nightmare. (All this according to Heath in SS 3-D imaging department)

Exc. Duncan was still available well after that figure was released, and I believe the exc. Origins Duncan was still available when the line got yanked from the website.

Thats because the TV series sucked. :lol

The ENTIRE tv series didn't suck.

I did my part and bought Highlander figures but I didn't get the Kurgan because of the exposed joints. Not one of my brighter moves.

So what did Sideshow do with the remaining Highlander stock of figures? Did they have to destroy them? Surely it would have been better to give them out for free to fans than just burn them? And what exactly did happen with the license. I don't recall Sideshow just making any other items in the past just disappear. There are some items on the gift card list that should have though! :lol

Folks liked Highlander and it went by the wayside. Just like Universal Monsters, Planet of the Apes and several others. Some lines run their course, others die out from poor promotion and thus sales. In the end there can be only one ---- $tar Wars

I think the remaining stock was distributed to retailers at a discount.

People need to judge the highlander sales to other lines - not to star wars. Many other lines had exclusive figures remain for months. Unfortunately Star Wars has now set the bar fairly high and many of the less mainstream licences won't get much of a look in.

Does anyone believe that Get Smart or Hogan's Heroes would even be contemplated atm ?

I think the remaining stock was distributed to retailers at a discount.

People need to judge the highlander sales to other lines - not to star wars. Many other lines had exclusive figures remain for months. Unfortunately Star Wars has now set the bar fairly high and many of the less mainstream licences won't get much of a look in.

Does anyone believe that Get Smart or Hogan's Heroes would even be contemplated atm ?

Thats what people new to Sidedhow forget, they judge older line sales on the 1 day sell outs of Star Wars. I remember Jason Part 3 sitting around for a few months, now he fetches more than any SW figure. And the last Exc. Kurgan sold for $500 on ebay. So slow line sales dont really reflect how popular a line is or isnt. Its all subjective.

Bottom line SW changed the face of SS forever.

Thats what people new to Sidedhow forget, they judge older line sales on the 1 day sell outs of Star Wars. I remember Jason Part 3 sitting around for a few months, now he fetches more than any SW figure. And the last Exc. Kurgan sold for $500 on ebay. So slow line sales dont really reflect how popular a line is or isnt. Its all subjective.

Indeed.
Funny thing. I heard a radio advertisement for Garry Marshall and Paul Williams new stage production of Happy Days and got to wondering, out of all the licenses that we got from SS, Happy Days was among the first mentioned but never produced, why? Yes, there may not be a rash of demands for an Anson Williams "Potsie", but surely it must have been at least as popular as Hogan's Heroes. And while I admit, there is no great need for a "Ralph Malph" in most collections, a lot of the clothing would have done many a bash justice in its fodder offerings. Fonzie may well have sold out just for the engineer boots, leather jacket and jeans. I know I would have bought him [and Pinky Tuscadero!!]

Highlander was canceled cause it didn't sell well. It really is that simple. Same thing with X-Files and POTA. It's not that the licenses were not popular it's just that in the end the figures didn't sell that well. Those lines suffered from many problems including bad sculpts (Kurgan + more) , flooding the market with too many figures at aone time (pota), bad paint ops (Mulder, Gorilla soldier) and just poor figures by SS in general. The collectors let their wallets speak for them and in the end the figures didn't sell well enough to warrant more releases.

The reason Jason Pt 3 sat around so long was due to the large edition size of 7500. SS has since then adjusted the edition sizes of the modern horror figures so that they don't have so much overstock. Also Jason pt3 is the "iconic" version of Jason that everybody remembers so he's more popular than other Jasons cause he's the Jason that 1/6 collectors want even if the collectors aren't horror fans. That's why he goes for so much on ebay.

Star Wars really didn't "kill" those other lines cause they were already dead before SS even started taking preorders for the Star Wars figures.

that jason never sat around. he was my first sideshow piece. i had 4 of them at one time.. that's when sideshow didn't limit what you could buy..now with lines disappearing were going to get other lines from sideshow. sideshow will hardly make anything new in the future. there going to end up distributing everybody elses stuff. i like medicom but some of the stuff there caring like the disney vcd pieces. those are not selling well on the general market. you look on ebay and you will find some pieces cheaper than what sideshw is selling them..

O.K. we have fantastic news on the Highlander line now what about the Myers (Halloween) line? Shouldn't there be at least a couple more made? Part II and VI maybe?

I'm dying for a Shanks version! Or maybe an actual Halloween I version. The one Sideshow released is cool but the head sculpt just bugs me, it looks like he did in IV maybe.

Anything on Halloween and SS?

Back