Why have all the PFs depreciated so significantly?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Make a good Jim Morrison PF with an ES of 1500 and maybe we can change this conversation! :cool:

I've heard several comments by people who say they do not purchase the PF line so that they can afford the 1/6 line.
I don't have any of the 1/6 figures so that I can afford the 1/4 line.
But sometimes I grow weak with the amount of blood that I am selling to afford my PF habits.
-theropod

tomandshell said:
I don't want to play with it or pose it, just take it out of the box and have it look as realistic as possible, and that is what the PFs are designed for.
This is exactly the conclusion I have come to as well. At first I liked the interactivity of the 1/6 line more than the PF, but really, you change the pose a couple times and it still is going to be displayed in one or maybe two positions 99% of the time. So the question becomes "Since a 12 inch figure is going to stand on the shelf just the same as a PF figure, which one will I appreciate more, day in, day out?" Definitely PF. Every inch of the figure is hand sculpted to that *specific character* and that now makes all the difference to me.

The 12 inch sculpts are often marvels to behold when studied up close, but a PF looks great from halfway across the room (at least that's my impression from pictures, I just ordered PF Leia who has yet to arrive, yahoo!) :chew

I routinely call my toys dolls. I'll call my Grandma up, "Hey Nana, did UPS deliver my doll yet?"

"Yeah. I stuck it in your room, it'll be there to play with when you get home from school."

"Awesome!"

My best friend calls them dollies when she asks if I bought any new ones yet. Honestly, I feel awkward calling them anything but toys and dolls. But then 18 of the past 23 years in therapy makes me feel secure in my manhood as I look under Leia's dress to make sure she doesn't have a butt crack.

:rotfl :rotfl

Agent0028 said:
I routinely call my toys dolls. I'll call my Grandma up, "Hey Nana, did UPS deliver my doll yet?"

"Yeah. I stuck it in your room, it'll be there to play with when you get home from school."

"Awesome!"

My best friend calls them dollies when she asks if I bought any new ones yet. Honestly, I feel awkward calling them anything but toys and dolls. But then 18 of the past 23 years in therapy makes me feel secure in my manhood as I look under Leia's dress to make sure she doesn't have a butt crack.

Agent0028 said:
But then 18 of the past 23 years in therapy makes me feel secure in my manhood as I look under Leia's dress to make sure she doesn't have a butt crack.

:mwaha :mwaha :mwaha :mwaha :mwaha :mwaha

One of the funniest posts I have ever read!​

Mini-Rock said:
It's sad that anyone could take it personal. Afterall, there is more to life than what we collect. :)

Agreed. It sounds like my schtick when I was selling...I didn't see anything to get worked up over. And I'm a 1/6 buyer that has no interest in the PFs, but I can't disagree. I have other hobbies(and a wife) that make the PFs prohibitive from the cost standpoint, which is where it always comes back to for me. The question i always asked others and myself, is 'are you getting back what you put into it?' I'm not certain I could answer yes for a PF, but pretty easy for a 1/6...

tomandshell said:
show me a picture of your 12" Skinner talking on his cell phone, please. .

wow, i hadn't noticed that before but the SS bodies can't get they're hand up close to the head even w/ this double jointed elbow. my Dragon, Medicom, and a bunch of other bodies can. WTF?

Is there any chance Obi-Wan PF will fall into the low $100s? I've already vowed not to collect PFs but in the case of a special price, I'll jump on it!

Amanaman said:
Is there any chance Obi-Wan PF will fall into the low $100s? I've already vowed not to collect PFs but in the case of a special price, I'll jump on it!

probably not soon. A lot of collectors are buzzing soo much hype about Obi-wan and Darth Vader as being two of the coolest ones by far.

....check out this Grievous auctionExclusive for less than retail :)

Mookeylama said:
wow, i hadn't noticed that before but the SS bodies can't get they're hand up close to the head even w/ this double jointed elbow. my Dragon, Medicom, and a bunch of other bodies can. WTF?

See why I keep mentioning that Sideshow needs to update their bodies?:rolleyes:

tomandshell said:
To me, the 12" figures are cute toys that keep me busy in between the "real" Star Wars products--the PF statues.
So where on the "cute toy" to "real SW product" scale do Gentle Giant's statues and maquettes fall? Don't worry, it isn't a loaded question. I don't collect GG and do agree that most of the PF's make the 1/6 figures look like "toys."

I just know that you also collect GG and they seem to be in direct competition with SS's PF line.

Khev said:
So where on the "cute toy" to "real SW product" scale do Gentle Giant's statues and maquettes fall? Don't worry, it isn't a loaded question. I don't collect GG and do agree that most of the PF's make the 1/6 figures look like "toys."

I just know that you also collect GG and they seem to be in direct competition with SS's PF line.

The GG maquettes are the second cutest SW products out there, behind the VCD deformed dolls. (And if you check the SS site you will see that they are clearly listed as "dolls" on the product page, so I hope I am not offending anybody... :D )

However, I don't consider either the GG maquettes, statues, or busts to be "toys" since they are not interactive or poseable "action" figures, but fully sculpted pieces meant for display only. To me, "toy" means that you are supposed to play around with it, change the clothes, weapons, poses, etc. Neither the PFs nor the GG busts and statues fall into that category. (With the arguable exception of an alternate weapon exclusive PF like Leia.)

I have fun "playing" (or "interacting" if you don't like that word) with my Star Wars 12" figures when they arrive and need to be unpacked and adjusted, accessorized, and posed to be brought into a state of display-worthiness. It takes some imagination and effort and interactivity. When I get a new PF or GG statue or bust, I do not have "fun" getting it ready for display. I take it out of the box and put it on the shelf. The pleasure comes from looking at it in all of its glory sitting on my shelf exactly as the artists intended. One of these approaches is not intrisically better than the other--I just prefer the second kind. I can't get my 12" figures to look as dynamic or realistic as the sculpted ones. Now perhaps that is my own fault, or maybe it is due to the shortcomings and limitations of the medium. Either way, I just personally prefer the pre-posed ones and expect everybody else to make up their own mind as to which they like better. I am not offended if you prefer the 12" and I hope you're not offended that I don't--but please remember that I do indeed collect both lines. To say that I prefer the Olive Garden to Red Lobster doesn't mean that I don't like both in their own ways. Just that I have a preference.

But as for direct competition between GG and SS, I prefer the larger size of the PFs, and the tailored clothes give a more realistic feel, although I admit that the sculpted clothing can be more dynamic at times. (Even with a wire in the hem, the PF capes don't have that "blowing in the wind" feel like the sculpted GG ones do.) So it depends if you prefer realism or dynamism.

Looking at all of the different SW products out there, my own personal favorites are the Star Wars PFs. But I like the others as well, and will continue to have a variety of lines in my collection.

tomandshell said:
To say that I prefer the Olive Garden to Red Lobster doesn't mean that I don't like both in their own ways. Just that I have a preference.
So which one do you prefer? Red Lobster or Olive Garden? :lol

tomandshell said:
Red Lobster keeps me full until I can get to a "real" restaurant--Olive Garden.
It's like 12" figures, you buy one then you're bored with it an hour later.

(kidding! kidding!) :monkey3

tomandshell said:
(Even with a wire in the hem, the PF capes don't have that "blowing in the wind" feel like the sculpted GG ones do.) So it depends if you prefer realism or dynamism.
You can always point a fan at your PF Vader and Obi-Wan to get their cape and cloak blowing. Dynamic realism baby! :chew

tomandshell said:
Looking at all of the different SW products out there, my own personal favorites are the Star Wars PFs. But I like the others as well, and will continue to have a variety of lines in my collection.
Your post was a good read. Its cool to read what someone thinks of the various lines they collect.

I now believe that the SS PF line is the granddaddy of all SW collectibles as well. I flirt with the idea of just keeping 12 inch Sith Anakin, Obi-Wan, Qui Gon and Maul but I could see letting go of even those four with PF Leia, Dagobah Luke, and Boba Fett down the road. If the next PF announcement is either R2/3PO, ROTS Anakin, or any Padme then I know the 12 inch line will probably be done for good. Except for Bespin Luke of course.

I prefer Olive Garden since I don't have to futz with shrimp in the sink before they sit on my plate right. The food looks more like what's pictured on the menu too. ;)

Khev said:
You can always point a fan at your PF Vader and Obi-Wan to get their cape and cloak blowing. Dynamic realism baby! :chew

Now you've got me wanting to buy a fan for my PF shelf.

Maybe I can get one to blow up Leia's dress, just like Marilyn Monroe's...

Back