Why has Sideshow decided to only release 8-9 figures a year?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
captain sack said:
i find that hard to believe. i've seen your ape army with the 14 taylors and 16 brants and 48 gorilla soldiers.:D

Oh, don't get me wrong. If I can get my hands on Sideshow's Star Wars figures at Hasbro-like prices [ie:$20] I'll have a few extra of them around. But, at $50 or more each? Not likely.
Besides, if it weren't for earlier successes like Planet of the Apes in sci-fi cinema, Star Wars may never had gotten the chance to get off the ground.
{insert POTA smiley here}

I think we can all agree that quality is better than quantity. Sideshow should be given all the time they need to produce high quality figures. Now if that happens to be one figure a month, then I'm all for it :D

Like any addict I'd like a fix as often as possible. But if they did a figure a month it just might cannibalize sales in the other lines. I know I wouldn't buy every Freddy and Jason if I had a SW figure coming in that month. Some of the higher ticket items might suffer as well. Marvel figures I was on the fence about, or PF monsters might take a backseat to SW or LotR.

But if you want to put out 3 Buffy figures a month - I'll be there!

pitchin said:
OK, let me pose this question to you..........would you be happier with 1 figure a month but lower quality or 8-9 per year but continuing the awesome facial sculpts & plethora of accessories?r

i'd definately want quality over quantity. all i'm saying is the demand for this line is huge. there are now thousands of people who never bought anything sideshow who are gonna buy every 12" figure they put out.:peace

captain sack said:
company that sells $600 darth maul heads and life size terminators.:google

How about a life size Jesse's avatar with hypnotic jiggling action? :naughty

Good lord! :google :google

Darklord Dave said:
Like any addict I'd like a fix as often as possible. But if they did a figure a month it just might cannibalize sales in the other lines. I know I wouldn't buy every Freddy and Jason if I had a SW figure coming in that month. Some of the higher ticket items might suffer as well. Marvel figures I was on the fence about, or PF monsters might take a backseat to SW or LotR.

But if you want to put out 3 Buffy figures a month - I'll be there!

Dave is right! They have to keep in mind their other lines. And for those who think it's not that hard to come up with $50 disposable income every month, that may or may not be true, but that is only counting the SW line. If you collect other lines, then that amount begins to increase dramatically!! And if some of you are going to throw out the arguement that if you can't afford it or collect other stuff, then too bad, I think you are missing the point! Just my opinion!

lcummins said:
And for those who think it's not that hard to come up with $50 disposable income every month, that may or may not be true, but that is only counting the SW line.

Or even if you stay in Star Wars and get the PF's, or even a PF you could be into 300 dollars, assuming that the 1/6 is 50 and the 1/4 is 250. I kinda expect Boba Fett to be more expensive in both formats. If they come the same month... Nurse! Nurse! Call a doctor, my wallet just had a heartattack!:wacky

I like that little icon...

JustinLuck said:
How many here are like me and only interested in the 1/6 line?

yea, i'm only getting the 1/6th star wars stuff. the 1/4th and 1/1 busts are nice, but i don't have the space or the extra cash for those. :lsvader

After seeing the quality of the 1/6 line, I'm beginning to sway towards it now. I will still buy the odd outstanding PF (eg. Grievous) but mostly 12" which is much more affordable

I never thought I'd want 12-inch figures, but Luke and Anakin are an impressive start. If they keep this up, I may be inclined to go 1/6th only.

I have never even been vaguely tempted by the PF figures. I prefer being able to choose the pose. And i don't have the space or money.

I've been into 1/6 for a long time and seem likely to remain so.

Since they say Anakin isn't being released until Q2, maybe Luke won't be ready until March (end of Q1)? And then followed by Anakin in April? If that is so, maybe we will learn of the next figure by mid-January? So when they say 8-9 figures in 2006, maybe that is because the line won't start being released until about 3 months into the year?

JustinLuck said:
Since they say Anakin isn't being released until Q2, maybe Luke won't be ready until March (end of Q1)? And then followed by Anakin in April? If that is so, maybe we will learn of the next figure by mid-January? So when they say 8-9 figures in 2006, maybe that is because the line won't start being released until about 3 months into the year?

That sounds like it may be the case. Wish it were up sooner though...

I can think of more reasons to reduce the amount of SW 12", in stead of increasing it! The 2 most important reasons have been quoted here over and over again: quality and cashflow.

JustinLuck said:
March 14th...
Hey, that'll make a great birthday present! :banana
I agree, Sideshow shouldn't do more then 8 or 10 a year. I also have to collect the Hot Toys Aliens Colonial Marines and Predator figures at $100-$150 a piece! Along with the Iron Man statue and other 12" lines I'm not sure I can cover them all as it is. One Star Wars figure a month is too much for me especially if some cost more then $55. :google

Back