Why don't brick and mortar stores sell collectibles anymore?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dleebatman1

Freakalicious
Reaction score
Back in 1999-2004, it seemed that there was alot more selection at shopping malls and specialty stores than today. I could expect to find McFarlane, NECA, Hasbro, Palisades and occasionally Sideshow Toys at places like Gamestop, Babbage's, EB Games, Toys R Us, Hungate's, Suncoast, etc.

Unfortunately, that was before I started serious collecting and only a few months after I bought my first Sideshow Figure (Pierce Brosnan Bond) it seemed that selection practically disappeared overnight. The video game stores put a dead halt on figures, Suncoast no longer exists, Hungate's stopped putting Sideshow on the pegs, and even KB Toys and Toys R Us (even my local Spencer's) stopped carrying McFarlane.

I live in North Carolina, so I don't know if its just my location or what.

I think that the demand just wasn't there. It was great seeing all of those figures in shops, but usually if you waited you could get them for crazy discounts. I've heard of the Sideshow Spinal Tap figures marked down to $20 for the whole set :google

Even now there is a store in my town (Hastings) that carries the stuff you mentioned; even HT, Medicom and Sideshow figures. And they just sit collecting dust. Bought a Boromir for $17 last year :lol

My local Hastings has quite a few items, but they don't discount them much. Just collect dust. :dunno

Its odd how they discount stuff... there are a few SW figures that have been there probably 2 years now still at full retail. But General Kenobi and Gandalf were being discounted after a few months. I bought and extra Kenobi for like $45 right before the pulled them and listed them on Amazon for $20 :lol

But in the past I've gotten the Springwood Slasher ($14), Boromir ($17), Leia Boussh ($14) and Moore Bond ($12) from them.

I personally prefer ordering stuff online...
I like to avoid the hassle of driving around trying to find a figure and
with the CA taxes, I'd rather pay for shipping...
Also, consider this, you can pay for one of the Neca or McToys figures about $14.99 shipped online or pay $19.99 @ a store plus taxes...
And usually if you find a higher end collectible, it's ridiculously overpriced...
Comic shops were charging $250.00 + taxes for HT Bank Robber Joker!!

Yeah, many times the cost of shipping is balanced out by the cost of sales tax. And of course you don't have to deal with shelf wear and with buying direct or a large on-line retailer there is a better likelihood of getting an exchange if something is wrong with the item.

The thing I hate about orderingo online is the fact you don't get to look at the actual product beforehand and I feel alot more comfortable actually seeing the item I'm going to buy. Shipping charges are outrageous at alot of sites (including Sideshow) and there's always a chance of a dent, paint scratch, Paypal error, etc.

(Paypal took five days to clear the money I put in the account and I accidentally paid twice for an e-bay item after the shipper though I was cheatng him ibecause the money was taking so long.)

Understandable... I haven't had too much trouble ordering online and I'd say currently over 90% is bought via the internet in one way or another. I really don't mind it, but do miss the 75% off figures you could sometimes find :lol

And usually if you find a higher end collectible, it's ridiculously overpriced...
You got that right, a few of the local shops in my area would be charging ridiculously high prices for figures that you could still get at a reasonable price on line.

The collectible action figure market that exploded in the 90's crashed and burned a few years ago, and the demand dried up. It has become a very niche market, especially with the skyrocketing prices.

The collectible action figure market that exploded in the 90's crashed and burned a few years ago, and the demand dried up. It has become a very niche market, especially with the skyrocketing prices.

Yep, people walking into a store typically don't want to drop $150 on a figure.

I actually had to return a purchase (a HT Alien) to Hastings due to it being damaged in the packaging. The guy at the register couldn't believe how expensive the figure was... and he worked there :lol

That's just it...online. The collectibles store worked when "online" didn't exist. These guys were "in the know..." when it was hard to be. They went to conventions to see what was available. They had access to catalogs. They had contacts. And a lot of times you would see things on their shelves that you didn't know existed and didn't know that they had a markup.

Now, you see something at the store that looks kindof cool, do a google for it and up pops all the info you need, and you can shop around. Plus, the LCS needs a more significant markup to get by anyway, they have to pay rent, employees, etc. when an online shop can just run out of someone's garage or basement.

Its odd how they discount stuff... there are a few SW figures that have been there probably 2 years now still at full retail. But General Kenobi and Gandalf were being discounted after a few months. I bought and extra Kenobi for like $45 right before the pulled them and listed them on Amazon for $20 :lol

But in the past I've gotten the Springwood Slasher ($14), Boromir ($17), Leia Boussh ($14) and Moore Bond ($12) from them.

I picked up Mace & Kitt for $30 each at a Hastings :rock

newbury comics discounts them after a short while too.i got my the dead doctor for 29 bucks there

I personally prefer ordering stuff online...
I like to avoid the hassle of driving around trying to find a figure and
with the CA taxes, I'd rather pay for shipping...
Also, consider this, you can pay for one of the Neca or McToys figures about $14.99 shipped online or pay $19.99 @ a store plus taxes...

My issues exactly, WAAAAAY cheaper online for higher end stuff, heck even mini busts or small statues you easily save 30% on...

Back